Day 62: Ravioli “Lasagna”

Ravioli+lasagna+1 Day 62: Ravioli Lasagna
I suppose at least my current crazy schedule is making this project more interesting. Or more dull?

Today I taught a homemade pasta class at the Cookbook Company with Lina deGaeta, master pasta-maker and the wife of the owner of the Italian Supermarket on the corner of Edmonton Trail and 20th Ave NE. (Who makes, by the way, the best pizza in Calgary – Saturday afternoons only they fire up the wood-burning oven and you can order pizza any way you like it, with real Italian ingredients and chewy, bulbous crusts.)

Tonight though, my call time to the set of It’s Just Food is 10:30pm, and we’re going to shoot all night. So I had a bit of a nap, and then, technically, it was dinnertime. Because I was assembling a sort of “lasagna” made out of fresh ravioli as a beauty shot for the show, I assembled another small one for Mike and W. (I got the idea from a cookbook put out by Real Simple magazine.)

I ate a wedge of frozen chocolate zucchini cake. That counts as dinner, right? After all, it does contain a vegetable, and was made with canola oil – a healthy fat.

Ravioli+lasagna+2 Day 62: Ravioli Lasagna

Ravioli Lasagna

This is as fast and easy as it gets. The ravioli is already filled, so you don’t need to layer your noodles with filling. Also great when cooking for one – you can make individual sized lasagnas, which isn’t possible when using pasta sheets or lasagna noodles.

If you like, use any kind of cooked veg as well as or in place of the spinach – a container of roasted tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and eggplant from the Italian market works especially well.

1 large jar good-quality tomato sauce
2 16-18 oz. bags fresh or frozen large ravioli – any kind
1 pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella (or as much as you like)
½ cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Spray a 9”x13” baking dish with nonstick spray, and spread about a third of the tomato sauce over the bottom. Lay half the ravioli in a single layer overtop. Sprinkle with the spinach and half the cheese, another third of the sauce and then the remaining ravioli, sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake another 10 minutes, until golden and bubbly.

Serves 6.

pixel Day 62: Ravioli Lasagna
button print gry20 Day 62: Ravioli Lasagna

March 02 2008 09:03 pm | freezable and one dish and pasta

15 Responses to “Day 62: Ravioli “Lasagna””

1. fiddleheadfern on 03 Mar 2008 at 9:39 am #

I just started working for MarxFoods.com, an online specialty food company, and depending on how simple or adventurous you’d like to get with your ravioli lasagna we have amazing frozen ravioli with hand-made fillings ranging from cheese to lobster, osso bucco, roasted duck, short rib and asparagus. I’m looking forward to trying your recipe and the zucchini cake!

2. Dana on 03 Mar 2008 at 12:21 pm #

I like that lazy lasagna fix! Shall definitely be doing that sometime soon.

By the way, Julie your featured today on my blog:

3. Dana on 05 Mar 2008 at 11:06 am #

I seriously need to get a bundt pan. This is the 3rd recipe I have seen for a cake to be baked in a “tube” pan this week.

On a happier note – I think ravioli lasagna is on the menu tonight! Perfect for our 9″ of new snow!

4. Julie on 22 Apr 2008 at 8:37 am #

This zucchini cake is just “soo yummie”. My kids and husband just dived into it. Great recepie and fun to do with the kids. Plus, you have the best website for everyday cooking for families: pictures Wow !!!
    Bravo ans A+++ !!!

5. Anonymous on 19 Jul 2008 at 6:47 pm #

Not sure what went wrong but this just didn’t turn out right. What size zucchini did you use? I used 2 cups of shredded since that is what most other zuchinni cake/bread recipes use. It also took alot longer than 45 minutes.

6. JulieVR on 20 Jul 2008 at 9:22 am #

Hmmm.. that’s strange. I use just an average zucchini, sometimes on the small side, sometimes bigger. Not sure what happened! Is your oven temperature reliable? Let me try it again and see if I missed something…

7. colleen on 02 Aug 2008 at 11:54 am #

hmmm, not sure what I did either, but I baked it for 55 min. and it was still just goo in the middle…

8. JulieVR on 04 Aug 2008 at 8:26 pm #

OK, I made it again today, and it worked out fine – only needed an extra 5 minutes in the oven (50 instead of 45) but that’s a normal kind of fluctuation… have you tested your oven lately? You can buy an oven thermometer for around $7 and just throw it in your oven to make sure it’s the right temp – if not, just adjust your oven accordingly.

For any type of cake, you want to bake it until the top is springy to the touch. If you touch it with your finger and it leaves a dent, it is still underbaked inside. I’m not sure what else to suggest – did you use a traditional bundt pan?

9. Menu Planning Mondays – June 28th,2010 « Canadian Coupon Mom on 29 Jun 2010 at 5:09 pm #

[...] – We had hamburgers/portabello burgers Tuesday – Ravioli Lasagna from Dinner with Julie Wednesday – Egg salad wraps (the kids love these and quick before Parker plays soccer) [...]

10. Christine on 16 Sep 2010 at 11:54 am #

HI!

Looking for your chocolate zucchini cake recipe and can’t find it. Any ideas where else on the site I could find it? Thnks!

11. Ravioli Lasagna « Kitchen Buddies on 24 Apr 2011 at 11:14 am #

[...] found this recipe on another online food blog, although re-reading it know I realized I assembled it wrong last night! [...]

12. Sara on 25 Nov 2012 at 11:16 pm #

Hello
    Where can I find the recipe for chocolate zucchini cake?? I can’t find it on your website! Thanks!

13. Charity on 26 Mar 2014 at 3:25 pm #

I see this is an old post for you, but I had to let you know I found this thanks to a friend and Pinterest. It is now a staple meal for my family, easy and cheap. Perfect. Thank you.

14. Irm on 14 Apr 2014 at 9:43 pm #

Did a riff on this today…roasted red pepper pasta sauce, sautéed mild Italian sausage meat and shredded fresh basil between layers and sliced fresh mozzarella on top…WOWZA!!!! Deeeelish!!!! And all ingredients bought at Scarpone’s off McKnight….

15. The Sky is Cloudy Scavenger Hunt | Our Giggles and Grimaces on 30 Apr 2014 at 12:35 pm #

[…] no means a gourmet chef, my cooking is rarely pretty, but I enjoy it.  My current go to recipe is ravioli lasagna.  And my kids actually eat […]