Day 104: No-knead Bread and Homemade Butter

Bread+%26+butter Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade Butter
Don’t hate me for making butter from scratch.

Wait, hear me out. I knew if the title read: Day 104: homemade crusty bread and freshly churned butter, the collective groan would be ‘oh come on!’, and everyone would abandon me for getting all Martha.

But seriously, I was desperate. I had mixed up a batch of no-knead bread yesterday and forgotten about it until this morning, and so baked it. (That’s the great thing about no-knead bread; people think it’s inconvenient that it has to sit for 12-24 hours, but it’s the most convenient that way: you have a 12 hour window in which to find time to pop it into the oven, rather than spend hours in its service; kneading, resting, punching and rising.)

I taught an hors d’ouevres class at The Cookbook Company this afternoon, and ate my share of spanikopita and bacon wrapped Medjool dates stuffed with Parmesano-Reggiano (I’m sure those will come up again this year – they have to) at about 5, and got home to find myself locked out. So I sat on the patio for an hour and a half, and by the time I got in didn’t have the gumption to feed myself properly, not that I really needed to after cooking all afternoon. (M & W ate at his mum’s.)

Right, the butter. I didn’t have any, and the bread was all warm and crusty. It was tragic. As I rummaged through the fridge I found about about a cup of whipping cream left over from the strawberry shortcakes, and remembered making butter in elementary school by turning the little pint of cream over and over all day long. The seed, I suppose, had been planted by a video of Daniel Patterson making butter on the current Epicurious home page. Was I really that desperate? Yes. (If you smelled this bread you’d understand.) Besides, what’s  the difference between spending 10 minutes (2 minutes actual effort) making the stuff and spending 10 minutes running to the store to buy some?

I quickly referred to the Daniel Patterson recipe, lest I had forgotton some essential detail since 5th grade. I hadn’t. All you do is beat cream for a long time, and it turns into butter. I poured it into my stand mixer, took his advice to splatter-guard the top with plastic wrap, and turned it on high for about 10 minutes while I went about my stuff. (It does tend to spatter once the butter separates from the buttermilk, so the plastic wrap is a good idea.)

Churning+cream Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade Butter
Churning+cream+2 Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade Butter
Churning+cream+3 Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade Butter
Butter+%26+Buttermilk Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade ButterButter Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade Butter

In about 10 minutes, I had lovely, soft, pale yellow butter. You can then salt it, although I don’t understand why this is kneaded in at the end, rather than as you beat the cream. I like mine sweet; it reminds me of eating out at a fancy restaurant, so I had some plain and then mashed in a little salt. So I suppose that was technically dinner. (I finished half a banana and a carrot, too.)

Butter+2 Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade Butter

Next time, once the butter is done, I’m going to try beating in some Highwood Crossing cold-pressed canola oil, then spread it in a crock and chill it. My theory is that it will stay soft and spreadable in the fridge. I’ll keep you posted.

No+knead+bread+dough Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade Butter

No-Knead Bread

Adapted from Jim Lahey at the Sullivan Street Bakery in Manhattan

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, plus more for dusting (I usually use half whole wheat and half all-purpose, sometimes with a shake of ground flaxseed added)
¼ teaspoon instant yeast (sometimes I use about 1/3 teaspoon regular active dry yeast)
1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl stir together the flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 ½ cups plus 2 tablespoons water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a plate and let it rest on the countertop for 18-24 hours at room temperature.

The dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice, then roughly shape into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour. Fold it over the bread or cover with another cotton towel and let it sit for another hour or two.

While the bread is resting, preheat the oven to 450°. Put a 6-8 quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When the dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and flip the dough over into the pot; it may look like a mess, but that’s OK. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the lid and bake another 10-15 minutes, until it’s nice and golden. Eat up!

[print_link]

pixel Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade Butter
button print gry20 Day 104: No knead Bread and Homemade Butter

April 13 2008 10:35 pm | bread

19 Responses to “Day 104: No-knead Bread and Homemade Butter”

1. Jj on 15 Apr 2008 at 7:25 am #

I think its wonderful that you make butter from scratch! We learned how to do that back when I was in grade school and I always wanted to do it when I “grew up” — well, been grown up a heck of a long time and still haven’t done it, so major kudo’s to you!! You ARE inspiring.

2. Brigitte on 16 Apr 2008 at 1:30 pm #

I made that bread, “no-knead” on Monday evening and ate it yesterday. Wonderful!!!
    I will be making that bread again and again.
    Thanks.

3. Tartelette on 17 Apr 2008 at 10:17 pm #

Don’t worry, you are amongst friends…we understand the fresh butter thing :)

4. Alison on 27 Apr 2008 at 11:02 pm #

I made the no knead bread. I was so sceptical and expected to have to throw it out, had good stuff in freezer on standby. It was FANTASTIC.

Because I only cook for one, I halved the batch. Still turned out great. I will be baking it a lot now. It is perfect with mushroom soup.

5. dinner with Julie » Day 133: Black Bean Soup, Hummus and pitas, and Sweet Potato Cake on 13 May 2008 at 9:10 am #

[…] they’d be hungry upon their arrival, we made a pot of black bean soup, baked a loaf of no-knead bread and some pita chips, and mixed up some roasted red pepper hummus. All things that keep well and […]

6. korey on 02 Mar 2009 at 3:53 pm #

hi julie,
    I am going to make this bread tomorrow for Rogers daytime and tell the viewers to subscribe to your blog. I am also going to make Leek & Potato soup. I’ll reference Alison’s L&P soup but use another recipe. i hope it sends lots of Ottawa people your way xo
    k

7. Robyn on 05 Mar 2009 at 6:46 am #

Hi there,
    Just saw Korey make the no-knead bread on A Morning. It looks good. Will give it a try tonight and will definitely be subscribing to dinnerwithjulie. Thanks!

8. Manon from Ontario on 05 Mar 2009 at 7:10 pm #

Hey I was just telling Julie about Korey making bread and talking about her friend Julie and Julie’s blog on A channel news.

Julie is famous :)

MFO

9. Cheddar & Havarti Panini | dinner with Julie on 06 May 2009 at 6:13 am #

[…] from Bliss (that makes me want to add rosemary and a sprinkle of crunchy salt to my next batch of no-knead bread) made some mighty fine panini, but I was still too lazy to come up with anything more stimulating […]

10. Spiced Cranberry-Apricot Marmalade | dinner with Julie on 03 Oct 2009 at 12:13 am #

[…] was gruyère gougères, spanikopita triangles, arancini, roasted tomato soup with Parmesan wafers, no-knead bread, maple-rosemary pork tenderloin with apples, caramelized onion smashed potatoes, roasted veg […]

11. keith on 02 Nov 2009 at 11:26 am #

replaced water with milk heated to 100 degrees f for no knead bread after removing lid will try 15 minutes instead of 30 it was delicious

12. Myrna Ichelson on 24 Jan 2010 at 2:52 pm #

I’ve been making the no-knead bread for many months and many friends areconverts. I use 1 c. multi-grain and 2 c.white flour, 1-1/2 tsp salt and 2 tsp quick rising yeast. I use the multi-grain when turning the dough onto a surface, pat down with a silicon spatula, fold as you do. When the oven reaches temp, pick up the mess with a well floured hand and spatula in the other. If it plops in unevenly, use the spatula to even out a bit and replace the lid very quickly (to trap as much moisture inside the vessel as possible – which makes the fabulous crust). Let rise anywhere from 4 to 6/7 hrs (also very forgiving). I use a Corningware casserole and a gas oven @ 430 degrees. MY FAMILY LOVES IT!!!

13. Lyndsey Quamme on 17 Nov 2010 at 6:31 pm #

I’d love for Google Tv to become made available for use on cell phones.

14. Carissa on 27 Aug 2011 at 10:00 am #

I too am under the spell of fresh “churned” butter. So good! I have a theory that the cream from Vancouver Island may be much more in the sweet department as I believe the cows they have at the Island farms company are Jersey cows. I have been told thats its those cows that make their products so darn yummy! So im going to test that theory soon.
    Thanks for all the wonderful recipes you share, Im a huge fan!!

15. Laurie on 09 Dec 2011 at 1:36 pm #

Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe – I was an avid bread baker who (after many traditional style successes!) became discouraged by a new apt.’s crappy oven which seemed designed to ruin my bread – esp. as I usually doubled recipes making 4 loaves to freeze (I have a voracious boyfriend that I feed)!

This recipe changed my life – I’ve been baking it daily, messing about with proportions of whole wheat to white etc but have yet to have a true failure!

Been preaching the gospel of it ever since. It is awesome you are willing to take time from your busy life to share with us all, please know how much I personally appreciate it!

Thanks, best wishes,
    Laurie from Nova Scotia, Canada

16. Fate on 26 Mar 2012 at 3:18 pm #

To this day, every time I make whipped cream I hear my mother standing over my shoulder, “Don’t turn it to butter!”

Cheers :)

17. A latte with your mac ‘n cheese? « Writing with Kids on 12 Jun 2012 at 9:03 pm #

[…] in the day when I only had one kidlet, lunch invariably included a steaming bowl of homemade soup, homemade bread fresh out of the oven and some kind of dessert.  How far I’ve fallen!  But it was just one […]

18. Berry Sourdough Coffee Cake - Dinner with Julie — Dinner with Julie Dinner with JulieBerry Sourdough Coffee Cake » Dinner with Julie on 17 Sep 2012 at 7:28 am #

[…] can then be used in place of commercial yeast in bread recipes. I tried adding some to my usual no-knead bread with very happy results: all I did was knock down the flour to 2 cups (mixed with 1/4 tsp. yeast […]

19. garage clearance london on 05 Dec 2013 at 12:55 pm #

When someone writes an paragraph he/she retains
    the idea of a user in his/her mind that how a user can know it.

So that’s why this post is amazing. Thanks!