Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops

Spaghetti+Pie+ +baked Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops
Chocolate+Dipped+Cheesecake+Pops Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops

Let me clarify: chocolate-dipped cheesecake pops are not something I would typically make for dessert on a plain old Monday night. I made them for the Eyeopener because tomorrow I’m going to chat about food blogs. Thinking I’d choose a recipe from one of my favorite sites, I hopped around a few and found that Cream Puffs in Venice, Tartelette, and another blog I stumbled through were all posting cheesecake pops. As I was perusing them my friend S emailed from Whistler, where she is apparently hooked on something from the local chocolate shop called cheesecake bombs. I took this as an unmistakable sign that I should make some. What a hero I’m going to be in the studio tomorrow morning!

The pie was to make use of leftover spaghetti; I did a few segments debunking common cooking myths on BT this morning, and as a result had plenty of leftover cooked pasta that was used to demonstrate the myth that adding oil to the cooking water prevents it from sticking together. (It’s a large volume of water, kept at a rolling boil with space for the spaghetti to move around, that keeps it from sticking. In fact, adding oil to your water will result in an oil slick on your pasta once you drain it, and your sauce won’t stick very well.)

Spaghetti Pie.

I’ve seen many versions of spaghetti pie, some in which the pasta is tossed with the sauce and cheese, then baked, others that have the crust par-baked first to crisp it up, and others with layers of cottage cheese between the noodles and sauce.

Spaghetti+Pie+ +shell Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake LollipopsSo I improvised: tossed the leftover spaghetti with some egg white (I had some whose yolks had been used to make lemon curd), a bit of grated Parmesan, a grinding of pepper and a big spoonful of pesto, just because there was some open in the fridge and W is such a fan, then spread the spaghetti into an oiled pie plate, pushing it up the sides a bit.

Spaghetti+Pie+ +spinach Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake LollipopsI had requests for spinach sauce, but had hastily crumbled and cooked a couple lean Italian sausages, a red pepper, a few fresh tomatoes that had gone too wrinkly for anything but cooking with and a can of tomatoes before remembering this, and pureed sausage, I imagine, is not a Good Thing. So I decided to proceed as if it were a lasagna – I crumbled some ricotta and thawed, squeezed-out spinach over the crust,

Spaghetti+Pie+ +tomatoes Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops topped it with the sauce…

Spaghetti+Pie+ +cheese Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipopsand some grated part-skim mozzarella, and baked it at 350F for about half an hour, until all was golden, crispy-edged and bubbly. Yum.

The cheesecake pops were simple, really, mostly because I didn’t make the cheesecake from scratch like the others did. Some advised making a cheesecake and then scooping up balls of it with your hands, freezing them and then dipping the frozen wads in chocolate. Because I couldn’t envision blaspheming a cheesecake that way, nor attempting to cut one into teeny fancy shapes using a cookie cutter (too thick for any in my collection) I decided to buy one of those small plain frozen Safeway cheeesecakes and cut it into wedges. It worked perfectly.

Cheesecake+pops+ naked Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops

After inserting the sticks (bamboo skewers, although popsicle sticks or the 4″ lollipop sticks you can buy at Michael’s would work brilliantly), I put them back in the freezer to solidify while I melted some chocolate chips in the microwave, then half dipped, half spread the melted chocolate onto the frozen wedges. Some sprinkles or other decoration would have worked out well, but I didn’t really have anything. That’s the beauty of radio; you don’t really need to accessorize.

pixel Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops
button print gry20 Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops

April 28 2008 09:12 pm | cake and dessert and freezable and one dish and pasta and sweet stuff

25 Responses to “Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops”

1. Leslie on 29 Apr 2008 at 7:38 am #

Great site! I had to look it up after hearing you this morning.
    This sort of thing used to be our kids’ favourite, too – although yours is much more imaginative. Kids are grown and gone, but we’re going to be parenting our little nephew for a few days next week. Thanks for the brilliant idea – we’ll browse your site for more things he might enjoy.
    Keep the good things coming.

2. Dana on 29 Apr 2008 at 8:08 am #

Hey Julie,

The cheesecake lollies are the Daring Baker’s April Challenge. Each month we all make the same recipe and post on the same day. There were hundreds of bloggers (inlcuding me) making these cheesecake pops last month and we all posted on April 27th.

The recipe is from Jill O’Connor’s excellent book Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey.

Drop by my blog if you get a chance to see my version of the lollies.

3. Amanda on 29 Apr 2008 at 11:34 am #

Hey Julie, I’m warming up to the idea of spaghetti pie. At first I was little sickened, but then i thought about it like a kind of lasagna. Pasta slightly cooked and baked with cheese?! Sure, why not.

4. JulieVR on 29 Apr 2008 at 2:01 pm #

Yes, I made the Daring Bakers connection late last night after I posted to my blog… I thought it was a weird coincidence! Looks like I need to be a Daring Baker!

5. Dana on 30 Apr 2008 at 8:54 am #

You totally need to be a Daring Baker – it’s great fun!

6. dinner with Julie » Day 152: Leftover Spaghetti Pie and Lemon Bars on 30 May 2008 at 9:57 pm #

[...] was a snacking sort of afternoon, and Mike was going out tonight, so I pulled a container of spaghetti pie out of the freezer in order to feed W properly, and I snacked on some leftover lemon bars from a [...]

7. Fish Chowder, Chicken Burrito, and Butter Tarts | dinner with Julie on 29 Apr 2009 at 8:46 am #

[...] One Year Ago: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops [...]

8. So Very Domestic on 01 Sep 2009 at 5:53 am #

[...] for. I had bumped into a few recipes for it, like this one from Kats Kitchen, and this one from Dinner With Julie, which are both essentially spaghetti mixed with eggs, cheese, sauce and veggies, poured into a pie [...]

9. Elizabeth D on 04 Mar 2011 at 11:28 am #

Ah your spaghetti pie reminds me of my mom’s – although she always made hers vegetarian never with any sort of meat. I never knew of another soul who even knew what it was unless they had my mom’s. A childhood friend associates eating at my mom’s with eating spaghetti pie.

Spaghetti, eggs, olive oil and Parmesan cheese made her crust, then spinach and ricotta (she blended the spinach to make it less objectionable to kids) or sometimes cottage cheese blended smooth in replace or with the Ricotta – and then spaghetti sauce on top. She would freeze a bunch for easy dinners and we’d have an assembly line going making them every so often. And of course topped with Mozzarella when we baked them for dinner.

10. 25 Freezer Recipes - Fill Your Freezer With Home Cooked Meals - Moms Need To Know ™ on 07 Jul 2013 at 4:51 pm #

[...] Cheddar Cracker Chicken 2. Fiesta Quinoa Casserole 3. Spinach Lasagna Rolls 4. Spaghetti Pie 5. Pizza Breadstick Casserole 6. Cheesy Wild Rice Casserole 7. Pizza Casserole 8. Corn Black Bean [...]

11. Weekend Links: Cooking for Others Edition | Simple Bites on 06 Jan 2014 at 6:04 pm #

[…] Spaghetti Pie :: Dinner with Julie […]

12. makeup for brown eyes tutorial on 30 May 2014 at 12:38 pm #

We must not exaggeratte this effect, as it might be too theatrical.
    The trick iss to learn which colors look better on blue eyes, aand
    begin with those, and then branch outt with tthe colors that
    you will be personally drfawn to. For a glamorouhs look, you must choose dark colors but especcially copper
    colors.

13. choose professional upholstery on 25 Jun 2014 at 7:03 pm #

Thanks for finally talking about > Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops
    - Dinner With Julie Dinner With Julie Day 119: Spaghetti Pie and Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Lollipops ? Dinner With Julie < Liked it!

14. major electrical contractors des moines on 10 Jul 2014 at 12:35 am #

More specifically, among the duties of an Electrical Engineering Technician are: providing technical assistance and resolution when electrical or engineering problems are
    encountered before, during, and after construction; assembling electrical and
    electronic systems and prototypes according to engineering data
    and electrical principles; installing and maintaining
    electrical control systems and solid state equipment; modifying electrical prototypes,
    parts, assemblies, and systems to correct functional deviations; collaborating with electrical engineers to identify and solve developmental
    problems; building, calibrating, maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing electrical instruments or testing equipment; writing commissioning procedures for electrical installations; and
    much more. I realized that a lot of people find themselves in that same situation as my friends do: they need sound advice from a source they can trust.
    Deformation alter the electrical resistance strain gauge,
    and previously calibrated display can obtain readings in the desired units of power.

my page: major electrical contractors des moines

15. google.com on 12 Jul 2014 at 5:47 am #

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from aan establshed blog.
    Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but
    I can figure things out pretty quick.I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure where to start.
    Do you have any points or suggestions? Thanks

Feel free to surf to my weblog :: Hosatgator 1 cent coupon (google.com)

16. Rumah di balikpapan on 22 Jul 2014 at 9:30 pm #

If you cannot qualify for an apartment on your own merit, consider getting a co-signer or putting the apartment in another woman’s
    name. And since June has yet to develop a spine on this
    TV she winds up going in addition to this plot, justifying the craziness by saying
    that jane is Chloe’s “emotional Sacajawea” when Chloe needs her most.

Surprisingly, these types of cars ended up towed from communities according on the code
    on their own list.

17. Casinos Minnesota on 24 Jul 2014 at 8:02 pm #

I have to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this site.

I’m hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts by you
    in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has
    inspired me to get my very own website now ;

18. Weight Loss Surgery Alternative on 24 Jul 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Thanks designed for sharing such a pleasant idea, piece of writing is
    good, thats why i have read it entirely

19. free cricket tips on 25 Jul 2014 at 8:28 am #

It’s very trouble-free to find out any topic on net as compared to books, as I found
    this article at this site.

20. more about mark hurd on 25 Jul 2014 at 10:55 am #

Hello There. I discovered your weblog the usage of msn. This is an extremely smartly written article.
    I will make sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful info.
    Thank you for the post. I will definitely comeback.

21. moz on 25 Jul 2014 at 9:37 pm #

It is possible for uncontrolled stress to cause your skin to be
    more sensitive, which can cause skin problems. Whereas, heavier makeup can be absorbed into pores which
    can cause irritation, acne, and infection. Don’t pass up on using sunscreen just because it’s wintertime.

22. coverup on 27 Jul 2014 at 8:50 am #

“It’s a lovely walk along the beach and I know we’ll all enjoy it.

It’s crucial to consider your sensitive skin tone of one’s little one.
    Although spring is already here, the cold may linger for longer.

23. double glazing prices on 27 Jul 2014 at 10:15 am #

4,250 (tax free) a year under the Government-approved Rent a Room scheme.
    Consumers no longer have to choose from amongst a dozen designs within three color schemes.
    A rope or belt is placed around a wheel, and then when the rope is pulled, the
    object that needs to be moved moves with minimal effort.

24. globalwestcommercial.com on 29 Jul 2014 at 5:05 am #

However, the prime benefit of buying DTCP approved plots in Bangalore is that it is safe and
    little risk on title. Ahmedabad is the commercial capital of Gujarat and
    one of the rapidly growing tier II cities of the country.
    The experienced lawyers are helping the foreigners
    with regard to the ownership of the condos and houses.

25. Tessa on 29 Jul 2014 at 3:04 pm #

With the financing on large multi family buildings, the loans are fully assumable.

After the messy separation and divorce she had a tiny bit of capital along
    with which to buy a brand new home. Actually, it is possible
    to buy property this way when you choose to rent to buy.