Aida%27s Day 211: Muhammara, Lemon Chicken, Baba Ghanouj, Fattoush Salad and Grilled Medjool and Feta Sandwich at Aidas

Sue came to town today, which meant, obviously, that we needed to go out and eat. I think that’s the only way to have a productive meeting without distraction – in boardroom A.

Everything I’ve had at Aida’s has been fantastic, but the only absolute must have is the muhammara – a Syrian roasted red pepper and walnut dip that I still have been unable to recreate in my own kitchen. I ask for their recipe, nicely, as do others, but they (understandably) turn me down. The other option is to be told and then taken out back and shot. I’m thinking about it.

Muhammara Day 211: Muhammara, Lemon Chicken, Baba Ghanouj, Fattoush Salad and Grilled Medjool and Feta Sandwich at Aidas

Here’s the one I used to make; I admit I’ve been pouty about it and haven’t bothered for a few years, opting instead to use it as an excuse to visit Aida’s. Sue suggested there might be a dribble of melted butter in their version – worth a try! Tangy-sour pomegranate molasses is easy to find these days at Mediterranean markets as well as in gourmet shops. There’s also a muhammara recipe that looks worth a try at Chocolate & Zucchini.

Muhammara

1 cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
3 roasted red peppers
1-2 small hot red peppers, roasted along with the bell peppers, or a pinch of dried red pepper flakes
2-4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp. pomegranate molasses
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 cup olive oil (or half oil, half melted butter?)

In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the walnuts, roasted peppers, hot peppers, garlic, pomegranate molasses and cumin until well blended and smooth.

With the motor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube until the mixture is smooth and creamy. If it’s too thick, add a few spoonfuls of water. To serve, spread the muhammara in a bowl, top with a walnut half and drizzle with a little extra olive oil if you like. Serve with fresh pitas or pita chips.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

The shredded lemon chicken was drizzled with creamy tahini sauce and served with a fattoush salad (romaine lettuce, tomatoes and toasted pita with an oregano-spiked vinaigrette) and baba ghanouj – another one of my favourite dips. Sadly this is again not Aida’s, but it’s all I can offer:

Baba Ghanouj

Be warned – you will have garlic breath.

2 medium eggplants
1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
a drizzle of olive oil (optional)

Preheat oven to 475F. Place whole eggplants on a baking dish and roast, turning once or twice, for 45 minutes to an hour, until skin is charred and eggplant is soft. Set aside until they are cool enough to handle.

Scoop the flesh out of the eggplant and roughly mash with a fork. Stir in tahini, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Leave it coarse or whiz it in the food processor until as smooth as you like. If necessary, thin with a little olive oil, extra lemon juice or water.

Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with pita chips, veggies or grilled bread. Serves 8.

Per serving: 74 calories, 3.8 g total fat (0.5 g saturated fat, 1.4 g monounsaturated fat, 1.7 g polyunsaturated fat), 2.5 g protein, 9.4 g carbohydrate, 0 mg cholesterol, 0.7 g fiber. 42% calories from fat.

Aida%27s+Grilled+Cheese Day 211: Muhammara, Lemon Chicken, Baba Ghanouj, Fattoush Salad and Grilled Medjool and Feta Sandwich at Aidas

We had to share a grilled (medjool and feta) cheese, just because Sue had never tried one. (This is what I bring home for Mike anytime I go to Aida’s without him.) It’s made with salty, stringy cheese I’m stuck on the name of (I assumed medjool might refer to the cheese as well, since I’ve never detected dates in it – in Arabic medjool means ‘unknown’, so it would apply in this case) and feta. They throw in some finely chopped tomato and Kalamata olives, and I think some bits of green onion, but I’m really only in it for the cheese. It’s all grilled until melty in a crispy pita. This is my usual – muhammara and grilled cheese with a side of roasted lemon potatoes and fattoush. Yum.

pixel Day 211: Muhammara, Lemon Chicken, Baba Ghanouj, Fattoush Salad and Grilled Medjool and Feta Sandwich at Aidas
button print gry20 Day 211: Muhammara, Lemon Chicken, Baba Ghanouj, Fattoush Salad and Grilled Medjool and Feta Sandwich at Aidas

July 29 2008 11:15 pm | appetizers and eating out

13 Responses to “Day 211: Muhammara, Lemon Chicken, Baba Ghanouj, Fattoush Salad and Grilled Medjool and Feta Sandwich at Aida’s”

1. Joni on 30 Jul 2008 at 3:07 pm #

Aida’s leaked their recipe to The Herald a while back… I’ll see if I can dig it up for you…

2. Fiona on 30 Jul 2008 at 3:14 pm #

Aida’s muhammara is one of my favorite foods in the whole world.

3. JulieVR on 30 Jul 2008 at 5:05 pm #

Not quite – I heard from someone working there that it’s not the same recipe!

4. Lisa on 30 Jul 2008 at 6:07 pm #

Um, totally jealous that you were at Aida’s. That muhammara is to DIE FOR.

5. lindsay on 25 Aug 2008 at 10:40 am #

Hi, just reading your blog (which i must say i love) and thought I might pass along a little info. The stringy salty cheese you’re talking about could be Akawi cheese, and it’s utterly delicious I must add. Hope that helps!

6. A Moroccan Dinner | dinner with Julie on 12 Jun 2009 at 10:59 pm #

[…] people – they had nice friends, even, and made nice pomegranate martinis. I made a lot of things. Baba ghanouj, muhammara and fresh naan, Moroccan spiced olives, Spanikopita triangles, a Moroccan Vegetable Stew with […]

7. A New Episode of Good Bite: $10 Meals! (Cheap eats.) | dinner with Julie on 29 Jul 2009 at 8:08 pm #

[…] One Year Ago: Muhammara and Baba Ghanouj at Aida’s […]

8. Annie Ozsarac on 06 Feb 2010 at 10:23 pm #

Hi,
    Just reading your muhummara recipe. The Turkish version adds some yogurt and beyaz peynir (feta). Lemon can also be replaced for the pomegranate molasses.
    Tasty either way I would guess though!
    Annie

9. Jenn on 29 Oct 2012 at 8:10 am #

Aida’s recipe:

10. JulieVR on 29 Oct 2012 at 9:06 am #

Thanks! But I heard (from a very reliable source – in the restaurant) that the published recipe isn’t the same as the one they use!

11. Clay on 11 Sep 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Hello, since moving to Toronto I have found many wonderful things but I have not been able to replace Aida’s. The muhammara at Aida’s is a very rich dish, I can’t help but wonder what makes it so appealing time and again, the dish you HAVE to order when initiating an out-of-towner to the wonders of her kitchen. Perhaps a bit of acidity to balance the sweetness of the peppers and pomegranate, undetectable to the palate? The cook in me believes there MUST be a bit of lemon in this dish.

12. D on 30 Jan 2014 at 9:08 pm #

I’m Syrian…your recipe for Muhammarah is authentic. of course, we never measure anything when making it…a little of this, a little of that, until it’s just right;)) The only two things that a Syrian cook might add, are onions (1 green preferred or 1/2 a shallot; for it’s milder flavor) and lemons (though the latter is a necessity). Finally, cumin is an option and is only used if serving the dish with kibbeh (stuffed meatballs). I don’t know any Syrian cooks who use butter! That being said, I can personally imagine adding a tsp of tahini to get the creaminess going. Of course, I’ve never had Aida’s can’t vouch for it’s authenticity. I’ll try to make it there though if I ever head west from Montreal:))

13. domain on 06 Oct 2014 at 8:57 pm #

I’ve read some just right stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder how a lot effort you place to create one of these excellent informative site.