Day 234: Lamb Rogan Josh and Roasted Chick Peas with Chard

Rogan Josh Day 234: Lamb Rogan Josh and Roasted Chick Peas with Chard
It turns out I am a grown-up, after all. I spent last weekend choosing a new washer and dryer. When it arrived yesterday, Mike and I were so excited that we sat in front of it and watched the water level rise through the window, as if it was a TV. Today I took the dog to the vet and drove home in the rain and rush hour, listening to the CBC news. Then I made a practical dinner; something I actually planned ahead this time. By the time I got home

One day not so long ago while I was attempting to do inventory in my freezer, I pulled out a small chunk of lamb, thinking I’d do something with it. I didn’t, so cubed it, tossed it with some spices in a plastic bag, sealed the bag and tossed it back in the freezer with ROGAN JOSH written on the outside. (I think I am finally beginning to learn that what goes in isn’t necessarily identifiable by sight when it comes out.) I planned to make a recipe for lamb R.J. that I found in an old copy of Cooking Light I bought at a garage sale for 25 cents. (Cooking Light recipes are fantastic.)

And I am now addicted to roasted chick peas and chard; awhile ago I roasted the chick peas in oil and garlic, salted them and ate them in frontĀ of a movie. Far better for you than chips or popcorn, but still fairly calorie-dense, unfortunately. It went swimmingly with the lamb.

Rogan Josh
(adapted from the April 2005 issue of Cooking Light)

1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. saffron threads (optional)
1/4 tp. ground allspice or cloves
1- 1 1/2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tsp. canola oil
1 cup less-sodium beef broth
1/2 cup low-fat yogurt or sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Combine first 9 ingredients in a plastic bag. Add lamb; seal and shake to coat. Chill for several hours or overnight, or freeze for up to 4 months.

When you’re ready to make dinner, heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the lamb on all sides, but don’t worry about cooking it through. Add the broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt and cilantro and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Per serving: CALORIES 193(38% from fat); FAT 8.2g (sat 2.5g,mono 3.5g,poly 0.9g); IRON 2.6mg; CHOLESTEROL 67mg; CALCIUM 90mg; CARBOHYDRATE 4.8g; SODIUM 396mg; PROTEIN 24g; FIBER 1.5g

[print_link]

pixel Day 234: Lamb Rogan Josh and Roasted Chick Peas with Chard
button print gry20 Day 234: Lamb Rogan Josh and Roasted Chick Peas with Chard

August 21 2008 11:06 pm | lamb

10 Responses to “Day 234: Lamb Rogan Josh and Roasted Chick Peas with Chard”

1. Dana on 22 Aug 2008 at 8:04 am #

Yum! This sounds delish. Great calorie and fat count for a lamb curry, too!

2. maplesugar on 22 Aug 2008 at 11:09 am #

The Rogan Josh looks yummy and has inspired me to dig through my own freezer…One more bag of frozen spinach and there’ll be an avalanche.

J loves to sit in front of the washer and watch it fill and spin too lol. If the washer was painted to look like Thomas the Tank Engine I don’t think he’d ever leave the laundry room ;)

Thanks Julie!

3. krista on 22 Aug 2008 at 11:16 am #

Julie I love your blog, this is the only one I read every day. I was dumb and shared it with my BF and now he knows my secrets…I had been preparing yummy things from here and he thought I was a genius, then I told him about this blog…now he reads every day, and now often makes requests!

I am going to try this, but I am not fond of lamb, I am thinking with cut up chicken, and reducing the simmering time.

4. JulieVR on 22 Aug 2008 at 12:32 pm #

I’m pretty sure J is a few decades younger than me…

5. maplesugar on 22 Aug 2008 at 2:30 pm #

heh maybe a couple…(he’s just shy of 2&1/2) J actually sticks his head right up against the glass…he does the same with the camera sometimes – can’t tell you how many pix have turned out to be an extreme closeup on his eyes/nose lol.

I’ve had front loaders for a few years now so the novelty has worn off for me but it was fun to watch the first while. :)

6. Cheryl on 22 Aug 2008 at 3:26 pm #

Okay, this is freaky… I made those chick peas on Wednesday with some Moroccan spiced lamb stew. So addictive…

7. A on 25 Aug 2008 at 7:15 am #

Please come live at my house and cook for me! My dinner consisted of Captain Crunch and yogurt.

8. Open-faced Peach Sandwiches on Grainy Sunflower Bread | dinner with Julie on 27 Jul 2009 at 5:35 pm #

[...] peas and chard (done on the stovetop so as to not unnecessarily heat up the house) with a bit of lamb rogan josh I pulled from the [...]

9. Big Salad with Watermelon, Candied Walnuts and Blue Cheese | dinner with Julie on 20 Aug 2009 at 5:34 pm #

[...] One Year Ago: Lamb Rogan Josh and Roasted Chick Peas with Garlic and Chard [...]

10. Lisa on 10 Sep 2009 at 8:37 am #

I made the lamb rogan josh and the sweet potato aloo gobi on Sunday night. The lamb was great and we had so much left over (I used 2 lbs. of cubed lamb meat for stew because my Internet grocer only sells in whole pounds). The vegetables needed more sweetness to counteract/mellow the bite of the spices. If I make again, may add a sprinkling of sugar or something like that.