Day 257: Baked Spinach & Artichoke Dip

Spinach Dip Day 257: Baked Spinach & Artichoke Dip
We went to a small party tonight to say goodbye to R, who is moving to the west coast. It was warm enough for a barbecue – Italian sausages in hoagie buns, nachos with guacamole, and a baked spinach and artichoke dip I brought along. (Unbaked for transport, then popped in the oven for 20 minutes when it came time to eat it.) Tortilla chips would have gone well – typically it’s served with tortillas in restaurants – but by the time the dip was baked we had eaten all but the broken ones with the guacamole. (And by “we” I mean “me”.)

Most spinach & artichoke dips have loads of mayo, sour cream and Parmesan cheese; I trimmed this down quite a bit, so it still works without weighing you down too much.

Baked Spinach & Artichoke Dip

If you don’t like your dip chunky, put everything in the food processor and pulse it until it’s as smooth as you like.

1 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/2 cup light sour cream or plain yogurt
1/2 an 8 oz. pkg. light cream cheese (not fat free)
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1 clove of garlic, finely crushed
salt & pepper
1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella and/or an extra 2-4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375F.

If you like, pulse the artichoke hearts and spinach with the sour cream or yogurt in a food processor until roughly chopped. In a bowl, mash together the cream cheese, mayo, Parmesan cheese, garlic and salt and pepper until well blended. Stir in the artichoke-spinach mixture and spread in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella or more Parmesan cheese. (The photo above is just Parmesan.)

Bake until heated through and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Serve warm with tortilla chips or sliced soft, crusty baguette.

(The leftovers would have made a tasty omelette filling, had there been any.)

[print_link]

pixel Day 257: Baked Spinach & Artichoke Dip
button print gry20 Day 257: Baked Spinach & Artichoke Dip

September 13 2008 11:16 pm | appetizers and cheese and vegetarian

11 Responses to “Day 257: Baked Spinach & Artichoke Dip”

1. Polythionic on 14 Sep 2008 at 4:57 pm #

That sounds great. Artichokes are probably my favourite food ever and yet I rarely cook with them because I can’t think of things to do with them. I’m def. going to try this recipe – I have a pot-luck dinner coming up soon and this might be my contribution!
    ~Polythionic
    X

2. When I Dip, You Dip, We Dip « In Good Taste on 11 Dec 2008 at 11:52 am #

[...] over a big meal any day of the week. But my favorite part of the not-a-real-meal meal is dip. Spinach-Artichoke Dip, Crab Dip, Seven-Layer Taco Dip – if you can stick a chip or cracker into it, chances are, it will [...]

3. Anjeanette on 12 Mar 2009 at 10:39 am #

I just did a search and found this recipe. Thank you so much for sharing. I will test drive it tomorrow night for girls Bunco night.

I did a little looking at your blog and you have lovely recipes with amazing photographs. I love finding new blogs to adore, and yours I will;)

4. Brisa Fey on 11 Jul 2009 at 2:05 pm #

Found this recipe in “What’s UP?” magazine. Had to go searching for you… thank you for putting so much love of good food on the Internet! I’m going to try it for a family Bar-B-Que tomorrow. Probably won’t have access to the oven… guess I’ll precook and then heat it in the microwave (darn)

5. Judy on 04 Nov 2009 at 9:36 pm #

hearty! bookmarked till I get some artichokes

6. Two Thanksgiving Appetizers | Macheesmo on 19 Nov 2009 at 4:05 am #

[...] you might imagine, there are a lot of spinach artichoke dips on the Internet.  After checking out various recipes, I decided that it’s really hard to go wrong [...]

7. Tina on 29 Jan 2011 at 7:38 pm #

Well I am officially in a food coma, that was a beautiful recipe!! Way to easy to make and it turned out perfect, yummmmmmy…thanks for sharing.

8. Spicy Artichoke Heart Dip « the taste space – steam, bake, boil, shake! on 01 Feb 2011 at 3:11 am #

[...] most artichoke heart dips are loaded with cheese/mayo/cream, I was eager to try this spicy artichoke heart dip from ExtraVeganZa since it was packed with [...]

9. Samantha Diamond on 16 Oct 2012 at 2:13 pm #

I have made the Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread cake from this site before (I substituted pineapple rings) and it was delicious, so when my Mom asked me to bring an appetizer to Thanksgiving dinner this year I thought I would look up something here again. I checked out the appetizers and the Baked Spinach and Artichoke dip sounded tasty and easy to make and it really was! I served it with cut up French bread and tortilla chips and I received lots of compliments from the dinner guests and requests for the recipe. And the biggest compliment was that none of it was left over! I will definitely be making this again. Thank you Julie for another delicious and easy recipe!

10. MattL on 11 Mar 2013 at 12:07 pm #

Hey Julie, this looks great. How many people would you say this serves? By how much should I increase in order to feed 20 skiers?

11. Julie on 11 Mar 2013 at 1:55 pm #

20 skiers! Wow, they’ll likely be hungry! I’d triple or quadruple it!