Day 282: Everything Bagel, Cheddar Cheese and Bean Cookies

Tim%27s+in+the+car Day 282: Everything Bagel, Cheddar Cheese and Bean Cookies

As I am still lacking time management skills, my plan to be home for dinner tonight failed miserably. Mike and W cooked a frozen Dr Oetker spinach pizza (amazing how much spinach is on these – and how much W will eat despite its obvious presence) and at about 6:30 pm I pulled over to get a coffee (up at 5:30am two mornings in a row and in bed well after midnight both nights) to keep me awake and a bagel to go with the chunk of cheese I had leftover from our last TV segment (I was on a foodstyling gig). I had pondered getting a cinnamon-raisin bagel – cheese sandwiches on raisin bread were a classic comfort food of my youth, and I still eat raisins and cheese together – but alas they had none. I survived.

Yesterday afternoon I taught a class on cooking for kids to 25 day care cooks in Red Deer, which included these oatmeal-chocolate chip-dried fruit cookies with pureed kidney beans in them – an entire large jar of white kidney or navy beans, well-blended. (This is key, lest anyone discover a nasty bean in their cookie. You need a food processor.) They have an amazingly tender, moist texture and keep longer than other low fat cookies. For this batch, I threw some green pumpkin seeds in too. (Pumpkin seeds are actually quite low in fat, and very high in protein.) K and I nibbled on the leftovers all day. I called them breakfast bean cookies because they make a good breakfast to take with you in the car.

Breakfast Bean Cookies

2 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned, not instant)
1 cup all-purpose flour, or half all-purpose, half whole wheat
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 – 19 oz. (540 mL) can white kidney or navy beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup butter or non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips, the darker the better
1/2 cup raisins, dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, or a combination of dried fruits
1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4-1/2 cup green pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (optional)
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed (optional)

Preheat oven to 350° F.

Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it resembles coarse flour. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and process until combined. Transfer to a large bowl.

Put the beans into the food processor and pulse along with the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl.

Pour the bean mixture into the oat mixture and stir by hand until almost combined; add the chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, seeds and flaxseed and stir just until blended.

Drop large spoonfuls of dough onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray, and flatten each one a little with your hand. (I find this works best if I dampen my hands first.) Bake for 14-16 minutes, until pale golden around the edges but still soft in the middle. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.

Per cookie: 138 calories, 3.5 g total fat (1.4 g saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 0.8 g polyunsaturated fat), 3.4 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, 14.2 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber. 22% calories from fat.

pixel Day 282: Everything Bagel, Cheddar Cheese and Bean Cookies
button print gry20 Day 282: Everything Bagel, Cheddar Cheese and Bean Cookies

October 08 2008 10:00 pm | cookies & squares and eating out

13 Responses to “Day 282: Everything Bagel, Cheddar Cheese and Bean Cookies”

1. maris on 09 Oct 2008 at 8:32 am #

What a neat idea. I love white beans – pureed, in salads, in chili…you name it. Usually I don’t like adding beans to baked goods but I might try these! They sound interesting.

2. Cheryl on 09 Oct 2008 at 11:53 am #

I totally agree on the cheese and raisin bread thing – yummy grilled cheese!
    This cookie recipe is yours? I pulled it out of City Palate a few years ago and it is a staple in our house.

3. Dana McCauley on 09 Oct 2008 at 3:19 pm #

Yesterday it was bean pie at Cakespy and now bean cookies – beans in baking is in!

4. robyn on 09 Oct 2008 at 5:10 pm #

Mmmmm. I love these cookies.

5. JulieVR on 09 Oct 2008 at 8:29 pm #

That’s right, it did run in City Palate ages ago. I’ve been writing for them for awhile. How does time go by so quickly??

6. Natalie on 20 Oct 2008 at 7:21 pm #

A friend just asked me if I had a breakfast cookie recipe and of course I thought of this one! Not wanting to infringe on your copyright of Grazing, I searched online. I was SO happy to discover your blog. I am a big fan and just the other day searched to see if you had a new cookbook out. I am excited to try your posted recipes. Thanks!!

7. Linda B on 23 Nov 2008 at 4:42 am #

Someone gave me a bean cookie receipe and i couldn’t find it anywhere. This one sounds great. I am going to give it a try. Great websit!
    Thanks!!

8. Pumpkin Stout Gingerbread with Cream Cheese Frosting | dinner with Julie on 09 Oct 2009 at 12:23 am #

[…] One Year Ago: Bean Cookies […]

9. Curried Chick Peas & Chard with Poached Eggs | dinner with Julie on 27 Feb 2010 at 11:41 pm #

[…] of anesthesia residents, who were subjected to listening to me babble and make romesco dip and bean cookies for an hour or […]

10. Julie on 20 Sep 2011 at 5:56 pm #

I love the idea of using beans in cookies I am trying to add to beans as much as I can.

11. Breakfast Bean Cookies « Chronic in The Kitchen on 08 Oct 2011 at 2:23 pm #

[…] From http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2008/10/08/day-282-everything-bagel-cheddar-cheese-and-bean-cookies-in-t… – Reprinted with permission […]

12. Green COffee Diets on 02 May 2013 at 3:22 am #

hi!,I love your writing very a lot! share we communicate more about your article on AOL?
    I require a specialist in this space to solve my problem.
    Maybe that is you! Having a look ahead to see you.

13. natrol acai berry on 19 Oct 2013 at 1:53 am #

Its like you read my mind! You appear to know
    so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a
    bit, but instead of that, this is great blog. An excellent
    read. I will definitely be back.