Day 294: Meatloaf, (S)mashed Potatoes and Peas

Meatloaf Day 294: Meatloaf, (S)mashed Potatoes and Peas

I’ve been wanting to make meatloaf for a really really long time. I’ve had ground beef (and pork, even) in my freezer for eons – before summer, even. I just haven’t made it. But when it was decided I’d do a column on sandwiches tomorrow morning as a tie-in to a story on the sandwich generation, I had to make one in order to generate leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches. As everyone knows, that’s the best sandwich there is. (Except perhaps for the famous as-seen-on-Oprah grilled cheese with pulled short ribs… the jury will be out tomorrow.) So that decided dinner. And although I didn’t really have the time or gumption to accessorize it with side dishes, I also couldn’t make meatloaf without mashed potatoes and peas. Nothing else can take its place. So when it occurred to me that I could make both in the time it was taking me to ponder what else could go with it, I quartered a few Yukon gold potatoes and put them in a pot of water. When they (and the meatloaf) were done, I drained and mashed them roughly with some buttermilk and boiled some peas. And W ate some of both – it was a Monday Miracle.

(I ate mine while getting dressed to go pick up N and A for Movies that Matter – N hopped in the back seat with a plate of Shake n’ Bake, and as we pulled up in front of A’s house we caught her eating samosas over the sink. I love seeing what other people do for dinner. And the car smelled like Shake n’ Bake all the way downtown.)

Meatloaf

canola or olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 – 2 lb. ground beef, bison or a combination of beef or bison and pork
1 cup bread crumbs or 1/2 cup crushed crackers or quick oats
1/2 cup tomato sauce or ketchup
1 large egg
1-2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper

Glaze (optional)
1/4 cup ketchup, tomato sauce or chili sauce
1 Tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) grainy mustard

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil (if you want to do your loaf freehand – otherwise you can use a 9×5″ loaf pan.

Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, until soft. In a large bowl, combine the meat, sautéed onion and garlic, bread crumbs, tomato sauce, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together with your hands until it’s well-blended; just don’t work it too hard or it could get tough. Shape the meat mixture into a loaf shape that’s roughly 9×5″ on the baking sheet or press it into a 9×5″ loaf pan.

To make the glaze, stir together the ketchup, sugar and mustard in a small dish. Brush the loaf with half the glaze and bake for 30 minutes. Brush with the remaining glaze and bake for another 30-45 minutes. (If you have a meat thermometer, the internal temperature should read 160°F.) Let the meatloaf rest for about 15 minutes before you cut it.

Serves 6-8.

[print_link]

pixel Day 294: Meatloaf, (S)mashed Potatoes and Peas
button print gry20 Day 294: Meatloaf, (S)mashed Potatoes and Peas

October 20 2008 11:33 pm | beef

17 Responses to “Day 294: Meatloaf, (S)mashed Potatoes and Peas”

1. Buddiegirl on 21 Oct 2008 at 6:13 am #

This is one of my husband’s favourite dinners. I make peas with sauteed mushrooms and onions instead of just plain boiled peas. My favourite side dishes for meatloaf are scalloped potatoes and creamed corn, but since my husband and daughter don’t like creamed corn, I never get to eat it.

We rarely have enough meatloaf leftover to make sandwiches, but when we do, yum, yum. I think I should start making 2 meatloafs, one hot for dinner and one for sandwiches the next day.

How was the movie? It sounds very interesting.

2. Dana on 21 Oct 2008 at 10:16 am #

It’s the perfect weather for that kind of meal here in Ontario today. Wish I had some!

BTW, thanks for using the word ‘gumption’. It is totally underused!

3. Heather on 21 Oct 2008 at 1:05 pm #

Have you had the meatloaf sandwich from Peppino on Kensington Rd.? To die for.

4. Lisa on 21 Oct 2008 at 1:38 pm #

Thanks for dinner tonight…again!! What am I going to do without you. =(

5. Cheryl on 21 Oct 2008 at 2:18 pm #

I like the idea of adding mustard to the glaze. Thanks for the inspiration! We like our meatloaf made with bison, so yummy!

6. Christina on 21 Oct 2008 at 2:34 pm #

Great minds think alike!! We also had meatloaf for our dinner last night! It’s one of our favorites (especially my husband). I don’t use a consistant recipe but yesterday’s consisted of both beef and pork (which was a first for me, usually just use beef) and lots of seasoning and some chili sauce. I also stuffed/roled it with ham and cheese. It was awesome and for lunch we had a meatloaf sandwich!

7. carole lawrence on 21 Oct 2008 at 5:53 pm #

HI Julie,
    I’ve been reading your blog for a while and I really enjoy it. I just want to say. You are way too busy. I hope you take some time to slow done. I think you will find it would of benefit to both you and your family. Just feeling a lot of concern for you of late.

8. KelleyK on 21 Oct 2008 at 8:08 pm #

I’m definitely going to try your recipe out, Julie. Lately, I’ve been making “greek meatloaf”…It is stuffed with a mixture of crumbled feta and chopped frozen spinach (bound together with a beaten egg, if you like) and then topped with a mixture of ketchup and grated parmesan or asiago. I’ve even made it for company a few times. I’ve started throwing a handful of ground flax seed into my meatloaf and meatballs. It is easily hidden in there!

9. JulieVR on 22 Oct 2008 at 10:04 am #

Oooh, love the Greek meatloaf idea!
    I appreciate everyone’s concern – I do need a holiday, but that’s the problem with being self-employed – no paid holidays! Or benefits. Or regular hours – there’s always something that needs to be done. Particularly when our business is our only source of income. I’m lucky that I do mostly work from home and Mike is such a great dad.

10. Kathy on 23 Oct 2008 at 8:50 am #

Made this for dinner the other night and my husband loved it. I’ll have to make it more often!

Take it easy when you can Julie.

11. Irene on 24 Oct 2008 at 8:55 pm #

My daughter sent your link to me in the summer and I must say you have been a saviour on many occasins. The meatloaf was great as was the potato and sausage chowder.
    Thanks for all your effort.
    I have given your site to some other friends in NS.

12. Grilled Meatloaf Burgers | dinner with Julie on 15 Aug 2009 at 8:09 pm #

[...] you need a meatloaf recipe, there are plenty to be found online. Cook it, chill it, slice it thick. If there is a glaze, save it to brush on [...]

13. Vietnamese Chicken Satay & Fried Rice | dinner with Julie on 20 Oct 2009 at 11:44 pm #

[...] One Year Ago: Meatloaf, (S)Mashed Potatoes and Peas [...]

14. Carrot Cake | dinner with Julie on 21 Mar 2010 at 8:48 pm #

[...] itself: meatloaf, made with this recipe in order to use up a large block of ground beef excavated from the deep freeze (I’m still on [...]

15. lynne on 07 Apr 2010 at 4:14 am #

Thanks, I am going to try this tonight for everybody. Nice to have a change from bolognaise and chilli!! Will let you know how I get on and if everyone likes it!!

16. Influential Food Factors on 31 Aug 2010 at 8:15 am #

[...] (image source) [...]

17. Meat Hand | dinner with Julie on 29 Oct 2010 at 10:26 pm #

[...] mashed potatoes, which really just serve to define meat hand. He shaped it himself, using my usual meatloaf recipe, and then carved a little potato into a severed wrist bone to stick in the end. After baking it had [...]