Day 305: Sticky Ginger-Soy Ribs, Peas and Rice

Ginger+Soy+Ribs Day 305: Sticky Ginger Soy Ribs, Peas and Rice

I love Halloween. I’m sure in part because it’s the day after my birthday and the two went together growing up, and undoubtedly because of the surplus of candy, and because the day after, everything turns all Christmassy. October-December is my favorite quarter.

W went out as Super Elephant, his own creation combining his new Superman PJs and a borrowed elephant suit. On neighbours’ doorsteps, he did this combo of Superman theme song, arms raised out front, and then elephant noise. This was all new to us.

For dinner beforehand, what’s more appropriate than gory, meaty ribs? I wish I had planned it that way; it would have been cereal had I not precooked two racks of ribs yesterday for BT and CBC this morning, and forgot to bring them to CBC. So while the day turned to twilight, the most exciting hour of my childhood (besides Christmas eve); the hour of almost unbearable anticipation waiting for it to get dark so that we could go out, during which we put final touches on our costumes and makeup and lit our pumpkins and sat at the table restless while our Mom fed us a proper dinner, I cut the cold rack into individual ribs and threw them into a pot with some ginger, garlic, soy, rice vinegar and sugar and simmered them while cooking some rice and peas. (These ribs would do well in the CrockPot too!)

Ginger+Soy+Ribs+2 Day 305: Sticky Ginger Soy Ribs, Peas and Rice

Sticky Ginger-Soy Ribs

Put a rack or two of side or back pork ribs on a rimmed baking sheet and cover with foil; bake at 300F for 2 1/2-3 hours. This part can be done up to two days in advance; wrap them in the foil and refrigerate.

Sauté a couple cloves of crushed garlic and about 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger in a drizzle of oil in a fairly large pot – one that will accommodate the ribs. For about 2 racks of ribs’ worth of sauce, add 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 3/4 cup rice vinegar and 1/2 cup soy sauce to the garlic and ginger. After baking the ribs in the foil, let them cool slightly, cut them into individual ribs, then add them to the pot. Simmer for about 20 minutes, so that the ribs absorb some of the sauce and heat through. If you want to thicken the sauce a bit, dissolve equal amounts of cornstarch and cold water and add it to the sauce; cook until it bubbles and thickens. Serve the ribs and sauce over steamed rice.

Chewed+books+2 Day 305: Sticky Ginger Soy Ribs, Peas and Rice
Today’s free stuff comes courtesy of Lou, who was bored/upset when we went out for a few hours the other day after FedEx delivered our Christmas shipment of the new One Smart Cookie. (For those of you who don’t know this was my very first cookbook, all low fat and reduced-fat cookies, squares, brownies and biscotti Lou personalized about a case and a half of them, distributing them throughout the front foyer, hallway and living room. A few were indistinguishable as books and had to go into the recycling bin, but the rest just have minor chews or scratches that range from obvious to barely noticeable but nonetheless unsaleable. (They are worth about $25 apiece; expensive chew toys.)

So rather than draw one name this time, I’m going to draw 20. This is the new, revised edition of One Smart Cookie, slightly licked/chewed. What did you have for dinner last night?

[print_link]

pixel Day 305: Sticky Ginger Soy Ribs, Peas and Rice
button print gry20 Day 305: Sticky Ginger Soy Ribs, Peas and Rice

October 31 2008 11:59 pm | pork and slow cooker

126 Responses to “Day 305: Sticky Ginger-Soy Ribs, Peas and Rice”

1. crockpot lady on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:06 am #

Julie, these ribs sound fantastic. I love sticky sauce.
    xxo
    steph

2. Stacey on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:11 am #

Love to hear about all your adventures! Halloween is over, and I think having chocolate as dinner last night wasn’t too good. With a 1 year old, it was whatever I could find quick and easy – However was able to eat some potatoes and meatballs with my mother-in-law…she cooked – I didn’t complain. Great website and actually “One Smart Cookie” was on my Xmas list for my husband. Looking forward to what you have in store tomorrow.
    Stacey

3. Lisa on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:17 am #

I totally know that sinking feeling of finding what the dog has destroyed. Our black lab was sooooo mischievous for sooooo long! I remember rushing home on Christmas Eve (I was about 18), after working my shift at the local Buns Master, needing to change and get to the family dinner and finding that Midnight had gotten into some presents that were food. So, not only did I find the demolished presents but a few piles of puke too! Fun times!

We had a too-tired-to-cook dinner last night (now a week overdue!!!): tuna sandwiches with Tibetan Curry Lentil soup (that O brand Organic soup in the deli section at Safeway – actually really tasty!) and sugar snap peas. And a few Halloween treats for dessert!

4. corinne on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:22 am #

For our Halloween dinner we had pulled pork tacos, done in the slow cooker – a great recipe from “The Best of Cooking Light” – and lots of candy for dessert….. :(

5. Jenn on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:36 am #

Stew, so there was less prep and clean-up and the kids could get out for trick-or-treating faster.

6. Simone on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:38 am #

Pesky dog!
    Last night we made pizza. We always have pizza on Friday nights, and 90% of the time we make it. Every once in a while we order from our favourite pizza place.
    Also: a few pieces of Halloween candy.

7. Fiona on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:39 am #

One of our dogs chewed the knob on our super-expensive amplifier when she was a puppy. It’s impossible to fix (she broke a teeny tiny wire or something), so we call it the $3000 knob. She isn’t around anymore, unfortunately, but the volume on our TV crackles in her memory.

Last night we bailed on Halloween (we only ever get about five kids) and went to the movies, so I had popcorn and Reese’s Pieces for dinner.

8. Theresa on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:39 am #

Supper here was a TON of candy and home made pizza from my grade 7 home ec cookbook from the Sugar Beet Grower’s Association. (circa December 1976). Best pizza dough recipe ever!

Bad Lou!

9. elektra on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:44 am #

we had turkey and black bean chili with rye bread for dipping. there were one or two or six coffee crisps for dessert. i love those wee little coffee flavoured bites.

dogs. can’t live without them.

10. maplesugar on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:45 am #

Dinner was post-ToT re-heated chinese food – Mah Po Tofu, chicken fried rice and stir fried veggies… and judging by the pile of tiny wrappers – about a dozen Oh Henrys, Reese’s Pieces and Wunderbars…omg what is it about chocolate bars in mini form? *blush*

11. Anne on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:49 am #

Got to Rocky Mountain House at about 8:30pm from Calgary picked up a chicken from Sobeys sliced some cucumber and tomato pored a glass of wine… my mom and I ate like we hadn’t seen food for days!

12. Canuck Abroad on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:03 am #

Lou sounds as mischievous as some of the dogs and cats that we have had over the years! Our current cat, Scout (named after the little girl in To Kill a Mockingbird), is just as inquisitive as her namesake.

Oh yeah, supper last night – Dancing Chicken (aka Beer can chicken) and the most delicious roasted butternut squash seasoned with Hawaiian Red Salt. And, of course, candy while watching Ghostbusters on the tube!

13. Joy T. on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:03 am #

Well the chance of a cookbook will sure pull me out of lurk mode :o) I brought out the crock pot and made sweet and sour ribs, served with rice and a ceasar salad. Huge hit in my home. And while I’m de-lurking I just want to say how much I’ve been enjoying your blog for awhile now!

14. Delaine on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:05 am #

Our Halloween dinner consisted of candy, lots and lots of candy. Is there anything better?

15. terry on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:08 am #

Happy Belated Birthday!
    last night we went out and so had burgers (beef and chicken) at some brew pub, the beer was better than the food! tonight’s dinner will be better, just snacks of smoked salmon, avocado, and we are making chimichurri deviled eggs…they are awesome. Its like making deviled eggs, and you add chimichurri sauce to the egg yolk mixture (its an argentian sauce of olive oil, vinegar, parley, garlic and onion)

16. Cheryl on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:11 am #

Hallowe’en always means some sort of chili in our house — easy meal, can be eaten in stages, warms the cockles, etc. etc. Having said that, it was 14 degrees out there as the little ones hit the trick or treat trail.
    I threw together a pound of ground bison, frozen whole roma tomatoes, onions, red peppers, small dab of smoky chipotles, and a couple of tablespoons of red lentils to help thicken things up…the tomatoes started out really watery but quickly morphed into something amazing and flavourful. Added some hot ancho chili powder and cumin and we were good to go….dumped it over brown rice and called it dinner. Would love a copy of your cookbook, doggie drool and all! Cheers! PS — caught your gig on BT yesterday, the camera guys never showed us a closeup of your face, but your manicure is outstanding!!!

17. Kathy on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:13 am #

Supper last night….can’t remember, but I do remember the midnight(actually about nineish) supper–crispy teriyaki chicken wings, big juicy shrimp and cocktail sauce, celery sticks/ranch dressing and strawberry/rhubarb pie with french vanilla ice cream for dessert. It was a feast! And very welcome after the candy/chocolate overload.

18. Kate on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:20 am #

Last night we decked ourselves out in some tin foil and went to Chipotle and got some free burritos! How great would it be to add a free cookbook to the mix just for telling you that?!?

19. Elaine on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:33 am #

My husband is a musician and always plays a Halloween show at a local indie rock venue here in Chicago, so dinner needed to be a quick affair that would stick to our ribs and that gave him enough energy to dance around onstage and me the energy to cope with about 400 cooler-than-thou hipsters.

I made the 10-Minute Asparagus and Brown Rice big bowl from 101 Cookbooks:

I sauteed a can of chickpeas for a few minutes until they crisped up, then threw in peas, onions, and asparagus. Then I made a tahini garlic dip (equal parts tahini and lemon juice, a few cloves of garlic, then olive oil and hot water) and roasted almonds to go on top. All of this went over Bhutanese red rice–it was stellar, and we ate all of the leftovers at 3am after the show!

20. Ada on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:57 am #

We had chili and cornbread. Our house is smack in the middle of Halloween central — the place where most kids in our small town come for the most bang for their walking buck. So, we are the defacto meeting house for our friends and their kids. I put on a big pot of chili and every one comes and goes, eating if they’d like to. Or course there were chocolate and DOTS appetizers and the same for dessert.

21. Marilyn on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:06 am #

Had some leftover roast beef in the fridge so we had hot beef sandwiches with peas and carrots, and chocolate sundaes for dessert (melted mini bars over a scoop of ice cream). I swear I could get my husband to eat anything as long as it had chocolate sauce over it!

My husband picked up Grazing for my birthday a year ago. He thoughtfully check-marked all the recipes “that looked good” before wrapping it for my birthday. A doggy chewed copy of One Smart Cookie would be perfect for his Christmas stocking.

22. Larissa on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:12 am #

I had couscous with chicken curry (in the car, on the way to work because my mom made it and i had no time to sit and eat it properly). it was very delicious though, even though it was on the go. oh and an excess of haloween candy!

cookbook please?

have a lovely weekend!

23. Natalie on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:12 am #

love this cookbook! We had homemade pizza.

Thanks!!

24. Cargomarg on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:14 am #

Chalk up another chile dinner, made with ground bison, canned tomatoes, kidney beans, usual veggies(the best part is the shredded old cheddar melted on top). Easy to eat while tag-teaming to the door
    to hand out treats. I was expecting about 140 kids
    (McKenzie Lake, Cal) and only had 99. Tonight, the
    carved pumpkins go on the hearth so we can enjoy them
    lit up as well. M

25. Cathy on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:20 am #

For dinner, that Knorr “orange soup” which I see advertised on tv all the time. I really like it – curry squashy flavours – do you have a recipe for something like that? Anyway, that was the first course. Dinner was mostly halloween candy!

I’d love to have One Smart Cookie to go with my Grazing cookbook!

Cathy

26. Aimee on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:28 am #

Hi Julie!
    I’m 12 years old an I absolutley love your blog.
    Last night for dinner I made mummy hot dogs. I’m pretty sure that it was you who made these on BT a few years ago (pillsbury hot dog wraps cut into strips to resemble bandages wrapped around a hot dog).
    Thanks!

27. Kathy on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:37 am #

Bad Bad Lou (but good for us lucky 20!).

Dinner last night was: Honey Garlic Chicken (several chicken breasts, 1/4 c. each honey, soy sauce & brown sugar, some garlic powder and bake for a while), brown rice and banana-zuchinni-bran muffins.

Then we went to a movie.

28. Melissa on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:39 am #

Supper last night was rotisserie chicken, fries and a multigrain roll (aka Swiss Chalet).

29. Christina on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:43 am #

Sorry to hear about the cookbooks, the joys of puppyhood!
    We moved into our new home in June! It’s a great neighbourhood and many families have been here since they built 11 years ago. We were thrilled to hear every year everyone gets together on one neighbours driveway and there is a pot luck! There were hotdogs for the kids, chilie and buns for the adults, veggies and dip, chip, juice, pop and of course desert of rice crispy pumpkins, mini homemade cupcakes and being that I am 6 day away from my due date with child #3 I went to Sobies and bought a couple cupcake cakes. I love to bake but just didn’t have it in me. It was such a great time and so nice to see the neighborhood come together!
    I’m off to take a nap! Can’t wait to try those ribs!

30. Debra on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:47 am #

Hi Julie,

Supper around here last night was Pasta Varnishkas, a new recipe I’d tried from Bitten, Mark Bitman’s NYT blog. Our new favorite comfort food! Did I mention it was the second time in a week I’d had it? Ummmm…..bowties tossed with cooked buckwheat groats, carmelized onions and butter, salt and pepper. SSSSoooooooo good! And for desert? A marvelous pomegranate from Costco! Yummmmm…..

And then, after the Pashendaele Movie a card game with friends and come homemade bran muffins, blackberries, strawberries, grapes and homemade chai tea latte’s…..

Is this worth a cookbook? Hoping so….

Debra Peoples Helmer
    262 Addington Drive
    Red Deer, AB T4R 3N4
    (403)755-0593

31. Melanie on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:51 am #

Being Ukrainian – and it being Friday – AND it being Halloween, we had perogies topped with a ton of buttery oniony goodness and sour cream, of course!!! This first course was followed by some very chewy gummy worms, m&m’s, and mini twix as we taught our 2 y.o. how to “trick or treat” at the dinner table!!! It was the best dinner ever… sigh…
    The heart burn that followed was a bit much (thanks to baby # 3 en route) but now they make cocoa ‘n’ cream Tums so I guess you could call that my dessert!!!

32. Rose on 01 Nov 2008 at 11:06 am #

Hi Julie,

Last night we had witch’s hair spaghetti with tomato sauce and bat’s eyeballs! (pitted black olives). Just got the idea from your great site which I read every day. We use whole wheat spaghetti so it came out a darker grass green and looked great.

Thanks, Rose

33. Lisette Czarniewski on 01 Nov 2008 at 11:08 am #

Hi Julie – first off, thanks for all of the delicious recipes. My hats off to you for doing this every day….I love your web blog and visit it whenever I have a minute. Last night was a dash and so we had papa murphy pizza’s (mediterranean and vegetarian) at my brother so the kids could go out trick or treating. I would love to have a cookbook of yours if you have a spare. Thanks again for all of the inspiration!
    Lisette

34. Sarah on 01 Nov 2008 at 11:11 am #

I’ve never commented before but I wanted to say I love your blog! I really hope you keep writing after the 365 days are up.

We had burgers and spinach salad, it was our last barbeque of the season as the barbeque patio at our apartment complex closes Oct. 31st.

35. Ellen on 01 Nov 2008 at 11:27 am #

Hi Julie – I also absolutely love your blog! We had mini pizzas (storebought, I’m afraid) and fruit smoothies (the bananas on the counter were getting to the point where my son makes these dreadful gagging noises – at the sight of them, let alone the taste and texture! So into the smoothies they went). However, this afternoon I was at a meeting for which I had to bring snacks, and one the items I made was your fruitcake brownies – I don’t have your cookbook, but got the recipe last year out of a library copy. They were a big hit!

36. Buddiegirl on 01 Nov 2008 at 11:29 am #

Dinner was from Arby’s, my daughter had chicken, I had a turkey and swiss sandwich and my husband had a plain old roast beef on a bun. Usually we have pizza on Friday, but my daughter is having pizza tonight at a party and didn’t want it two nights in a row.

I remember having to eat a proper dinner too before we went out trick or treating (or as we called it those many years ago, Halloweening) and having to wait until it was dark.

By the way, you looked very cute in your “Whoopee” costume yesterday on BT.

37. lisa on 01 Nov 2008 at 11:32 am #

a box of Annie’s pasta & cheese. with peas. and a huge bowl of popcorn. my daughter ate most of the ‘bunny pasta’ and i ate a lot of popcorn.
    have a good weekend!

38. Alex on 01 Nov 2008 at 11:44 am #

Kitchen renos for the last couple of weeks have meant that we’ve had to depend on a sweet mom to make our suppers in advance. Last night it was elbow macaroni with a bacon/tomato pasta sauce. For dessert, some treats picked up from the baking students at SAIT: cupcakes with mini marzipan pumpkins, and rumballs. Love your blog!

39. Kristen on 01 Nov 2008 at 12:01 pm #

Pizza Friday for us! With carmelized shallots, fresh basil, bison pepperoni and mushrooms…just cheese for the kids.

40. Linda on 01 Nov 2008 at 12:13 pm #

Chili for 4 us. It was cold and rainy so it was perfect.

41. Linda on 01 Nov 2008 at 12:25 pm #

Last night was stew for us while waiting for children to come trick or treating – only 4 kids showed up – oh well,lots for us

42. Pat from Ontario on 01 Nov 2008 at 1:44 pm #

Last night I went to see Regis Philbin in concert at Caesar’s Casino in Windsor. We had dinner at one of the restaurants there before the show. I had a shrimp cocktail with 3 of the largest shrimp I’ve ever seen. Since weigh-in at WW was this morning, that’s all I had. No Hallowe’en treats for me. It’s all worth it though, because even after being on a 2 week holiday, I lost 2 pounds this morning for a total of 107.

43. Nicki on 01 Nov 2008 at 1:44 pm #

I had Chinese Food with a mixture of treats from Halloween. Not healthy, but very yummy!

44. Erin on 01 Nov 2008 at 3:19 pm #

I’ve been following your blog almost from the beginning but never commented. A shot at the dog-loved book is too tempting to pass up I guess! Got home from Vancouver (Madonna!!) yesterday afternoon so it was a last minute dinner. Luckily there was some chili left that I had made for my husband and daughter to eat when I was away, so I mixed it with some egg noodles, threw some sour cream then cheese on top and into the oven. Getting my two-year-old to eat it and not dive into the candy was much more difficult!

45. Jen on 01 Nov 2008 at 3:27 pm #

Sadly, I had a hotdog for dinner and far too many halloween candies. My hotdog was made with one of those new flatbread buns though – I will never go back to regular hotdog buns!

Don’t feel too bad. Our lab was 4 when she finally stopped putting holes in things (clothes, couches, walls etc).

46. B on 01 Nov 2008 at 3:39 pm #

If I win one can I personally thank Lou?

47. Hanna on 01 Nov 2008 at 3:54 pm #

For Halloween dinner I totally stole your meatloaf idea from earlier in the week….I had some bison from Valta that needed to be used so I made the meatloaf. It was so delicious. To accompany we had mashed potatoes and cauliflower spruced up with some cheddar cheese and then for a little greenery some steamed broccoli….very 1950′s I thought!

48. Pauline on 01 Nov 2008 at 3:57 pm #

Pizza always pizza or usually on a friday. Happy belated birthday Julie. Quite a few years ago now my dog chance pulled the curtains off the window and ripped them to shreds. That started a whole renovation so a few thoussand $$$$$$$ later. Hope I am one of the luckey winners Its on my Xmas list.

49. Suzanne on 01 Nov 2008 at 4:08 pm #

Cold meatloaf sandwiches prior to heading out trick or treating with my 9 month old Bumble Bee!

50. LisaGee on 01 Nov 2008 at 4:09 pm #

I had a 10 course traditional Chinese meal last night…mmmmm!

51. Joni on 01 Nov 2008 at 4:25 pm #

My copy of OSC is VERY well used and a fresh version without chocolate smears and cookie dough on every other page would be most welcome!

We had a house full of family last night and dinner was great. My mom made a huge chicken pot pie which we ate with a salad made of romaine and assorted veggies that had to be used up. Oh, and of course, many little chocolate bars for dessert.

52. robyn on 01 Nov 2008 at 4:28 pm #

Oh Lou. I wonder if the books were tasty?

Last night’s pre-dinner was a mini turkey sub from Subway before taking the kids out. After trick-or-treating was done, we went to Troy and Helen’s for chili. I see a chili theme for last night!

I’ll pass on the chance of winning a book…..I already have a copy, and it’s dog-eared on all my most used pages. Not to be confused with “dog chewed”.

53. Cheryl on 01 Nov 2008 at 4:30 pm #

I’d like to say we had a proper dinner… but really it was nachos and salsa with a few veggies and dip. Oh, and a lot of icing (from the cupcakes), licorice, and chocolate. Bad Mama!

54. Hillary on 01 Nov 2008 at 4:36 pm #

Fried egg sandwiches with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and wasabi mayo. Yum…

55. Bonnie on 01 Nov 2008 at 4:51 pm #

Last night I made pizza – two actually, a ham, pineapple and green pepper one and a pepperoni, red onion, green pepper and olive one. Pizza leftovers for lunch today. Happy (belated) birthday Julie — what a fun day to have your birthday on. We had fewer trick or treaters around last night than usual so I’m resisting the temptation of excess Halloween treats. The rib recipe sounds really good – will definitely try it in the next while. Thanks for all the great recipes and meal plans Julie.

56. Sherry on 01 Nov 2008 at 5:05 pm #

Last night we had sweet potato spicy cheese fries from Grazing and chicken breast burgers with bacon, mushrooms, mixed greens, tomatoes and cheese.

57. Bonnie on 01 Nov 2008 at 5:29 pm #

Grilled cheese for dinner, then a party for 11 – 14 year olds and 82 kids rang our door bell for treats. Whew! I scared the crap out of a 4 yr. old girl with our fog machine (she got about 12 candy bars as a sorry present!).

58. Jen C on 01 Nov 2008 at 5:38 pm #

Last night was also my husband’s birthday so I did a ‘do it yourself pizza bar’. I popped some dough out of the bread machine (think I dream of Jeanie), some pizza sauce, sauteed some sausage meat, hot calabrese, ham, red onion, green pepper, sauteed some mushrooms (with a splash of red wine at the end), kalamata olives and a mixture of provolone and mozzarella cheese. SOOOOO GOOD! Kid friendly, adult friendly and went nicely with a bottle of red wine (and even more nicely in a to-go-cup for trick or treating with the little person!)

AND I am a cookbook junkie!

happy weekend!

59. Tamara on 01 Nov 2008 at 6:07 pm #

We had chicken cacciattore with Mediterranean couscous. Along with some leftover chocolate (birthday) cake. Its that time of year for us around here too!

60. B on 01 Nov 2008 at 6:24 pm #

Mango salmon with a pepper/cucumber salad. Light. Delicious. Delightful.

61. Jaclyn on 01 Nov 2008 at 6:31 pm #

Well, I’m moving in a month so on a serious clean out the freezer spree, which means that my meals are pretty random these days! Last night I had a hamburger and fries, both compliments of my freezer stash. Your dinner sounds like it was better than mine; I love ribs and will try your recipe once I’m “allowed” to go shopping again!

P.S. Thanks for the blog Julie; I love it and read it faithfully every day.

62. Jennifer on 01 Nov 2008 at 6:58 pm #

Last night was pizza night here as well. I used large pita shells as the crust then grated mozzarella,zucchini,tomatoes,green and yellow peppers,cracked black pepper! Nice and quick when it is halloween with kids!
    Nice of your dog to try and eat its way through your cookbooks! My problem was my kids always trying to colour in the pictures and words!:)
    happy belated birthday and halloween love the blog!

63. Tagyn on 01 Nov 2008 at 7:00 pm #

I like the odds with this one!
    We had pancakes- fast, easy and the kids would eat them before we headed out.

64. mar on 01 Nov 2008 at 7:09 pm #

I had a ‘Stella’, a handful of chips and a mini Mars bar for dessert. Awesome

65. Margaret on 01 Nov 2008 at 7:22 pm #

Menu for Friday….braised chicken breasts, simmered in white wine with mushrooms, red and green peppers. Then tossed a tin of carnation over the works thickened with cornstarch, and served over home made pasta. Veggies were the last of the carrots from the garden and coleslaw. Chocolate and macadamia cookies and dipped strawberries was dessert. All this for my relatives, visiting from Victoria!

66. Rebecca Taylor on 01 Nov 2008 at 7:27 pm #

We had homemade baked beans and “brown bread” (oatmeal molasses bread)!

67. Sue on 01 Nov 2008 at 7:30 pm #

Ran to Safeway on my way home from visiting my mother in the hospital, grabbed a BBQ chicken and some buns and made chicken sandwiches for dinner. No one complained because the bowl of Halloween candies was in view. But today was the coup d’etat…. I made chicken and dumplings with the leftovers. I did not have a recipe, in fact I searched for one on your blog, but alas had to fake it, and the result was surprisingly great.

68. Melanie on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:07 pm #

Roasted a whole chicken and threw in a couple sweet potatoes and whole beets to roast alongside the chicken, then turned the beets into honey-balsamic glazed beets with your recipe. It was delicious. Then for dessert I had a bunch of leftover Halloween chocolate bars.

69. Colleen on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:17 pm #

Supper Halloween night? Homemade chicken and blackbean vegetable soup. Added extra shicken stock, salsa and a can of blackbeans to a leftover half-pot of chicken veggie soup I made the night before…turned out great! Mini chocolate bars for dessert.
    As to mischeivous pups, ours chewed not one, but TWO pairs of my eyeglasses beyond recognition! A month apart! Expensive lesson. Pick. Up. Everything.

70. Colleen on 01 Nov 2008 at 8:18 pm #

Ack! Shicken stock?? Sorry – CHICKEN stock. I haven’t simmered any shickens lately! :)

71. Janet on 01 Nov 2008 at 9:32 pm #

Supper on Halloween night was pan fried boneless chicken breast, steamed baby carrots, and potato pancakes. Looked at a few potato pancake recipes online, and then concocted a recipe of my own – they turned out great! Julie, I’m seriously thinking of making Christmas cake after seeing your recipe on your blog. Keep up the great work, I look forward to reading your blog every day!

72. Glenda on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:17 pm #

This was an easy meal to eat while being interrupted by trick or treaters :) Halloween dinner consisted of homemade hummus, pitas (both soft and baked as chips in the oven), lots of veggies to dip, some Bulgarian feta, prosciutto, with pistachio halva and baklava for dessert. Can you tell I went to a Greek grocery store at lunchtime?

73. Nancy Gibson on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:19 pm #

We had red pepper hummus and flat bread with curried butternut squash soup that I sprinkled with a bit of crumbled blue cheese and a few chopped almonds. Very good (both your recipes!) and coincidentally, both orange in the spirit of Halloween! I love my Dinner with Julie emails! It is 1 a.m. and we are just getting home from out of town and I came on to check out what you had for dinner!

74. Mary on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:30 pm #

We went out to Boston Pizza, fairly boring. Tonite had a weenie roast at friends, deliscious. Always love a new cookbook to add to the collection. Love your blog.

75. Karsten on 01 Nov 2008 at 10:32 pm #

My wife loooooves to make pork chops (breaded, pan-fried, then smothered in sauce and baked). The problem is the sauce. Campbell’s Cream o’ Mushroom Soup is NOT a sauce. Argh!

I know, I know. I should be happy somebody’s cooking for me. But when that person uses the same ingredient in every one of her favourite dishes, well, they all start to taste the same.

So dinner was OK–”almost homemade” (Sorry, FoodTV insider joke…)

76. kelly on 02 Nov 2008 at 7:06 am #

New to your blog…love it. For dinner last night it was tortilli stew…sausage, zucchini, tomatoes, beans, onions..a pot full of goodness.

77. margaret on 02 Nov 2008 at 8:18 am #

A black angus steak sub from Quizno’s, while waiting for help after I locked my keys in the hatchback of the car after putting the groceries in…

78. ASL on 02 Nov 2008 at 8:32 am #

hmm, dinner.

reheated cold spaghetti i had delivered on friday because i’m a law student with a legal memo due. ;) no time to be food-creative. sigh.

79. Margie S. on 02 Nov 2008 at 8:39 am #

So you want to know what was for dinner last night…Hallowe’en is always pita pizza night! It’s not exciting, but always quick and always tastes great! I have a 3 yr old, and his three cousins (3,7,9) and aunt and uncle came for trick-or-treating. Having this simple meal got us out the door and on the sidewalks in good time.

80. Mary Ann on 02 Nov 2008 at 9:33 am #

I’d love to win One Smart Cookie; I have Grazing and I use it all the time! Dinner last night was a Dr. Oetker Spinach pizza, mini-chocolate bars, and the creepy witches fingers cookies that didn’t make the cut for our party on Friday (the recipe is available on Canadian Living.com). Not elaborate or particularily well balanced, but delicious and satifying all the same.

81. Vivian on 02 Nov 2008 at 9:37 am #

Dinner on Friday was actually a late lunch that consisted of a whole half pepperoni/half cheese bake-at-home Costco pizza. Funny how many responders said “pizza”, must be something about the stress and time crunch on Halloween to get costumes and candy ready. Love a copy of your book, the more “Lou”ied, the better!

82. Lynn on 02 Nov 2008 at 9:56 am #

dinner halloween night was pizza from Pappa Murphy’s. easy when everone is going in different directions.

Love to win one of your books.

83. glenda on 02 Nov 2008 at 9:59 am #

Am I too late for the cookbook? I hope not.
    Last night for dinner…..a leftover barbequed hamburger (beacause it seems to be endless summer) on toasted rye bread with swiss cheese, onions and mushrooms, and a side of greek salad…not too bad for a leftover burger!

84. Barb on 02 Nov 2008 at 11:26 am #

Last night’s dinner? Peroghy casserole with chunks of keilbasa and broc/cauliflower/carrot blend baked with cream of mushroom soup and grated cheese. I am planning to buy you revised edition as soon as I find it on the shelves.

85. Betty on 02 Nov 2008 at 1:00 pm #

A cookbook that already looks like it has been lovingly used – love the idea.
    For dinner last night-yummy – it was a belated Birthday (2007) dinner cooked by my son and his girlfriend -roast chicken with veggies, roast garlic potatoes and Choc Pudding with White Chocolate Whipped cream for dessert. A delicious dinner for our annual family get-together for Christmas pudding and cake making.

86. Nicole on 02 Nov 2008 at 3:08 pm #

Oh Lou…Interestingly enough, my visiting friend Elaine (you know, THAT Elaine) tried to heist my copy of the old version of One Smart Cookie. I would not let her, but now if I get one of the twenty, I will graciously give her my old one and keep the new version…a bit greedy yes, but she’ll never know!

Oh dinner..not very memorable…I forced some homemade turkey/macaroni soup into my son so that he would not vibrate off the sidewalks while trick or treating. Then we stuffed ourselves with yummy dips and crackers at the after-trick or treating-halloween party. When I say “we”, truthfully it was “me”.

87. Sharon on 02 Nov 2008 at 4:32 pm #

Ended up trying making salmon salad! Turned out great!

88. Andrea on 02 Nov 2008 at 5:32 pm #

OK, but can anyone beat having their dog eat 3 large holes in the middle of the living room carpet during the night – it was epic, and sad, as it was the only carpet in the house that wasn’t 80′s shag – sigh!! Your cookbooks would fit right in here amongst all the other dog chewed items – i’d say it gets better, but it hasn’t and Tucker is 6!
    Oh and dinner last night was bland old-folks food as my husband aptly described it – in Red deer on the way home (The dog also puked all over my husbands shoulder and the car seat and my wallet last night)! Good thing he’s cute.

89. Ann on 02 Nov 2008 at 8:15 pm #

It’s been a busy weekend with my son having a birthday a day after Halloween. We had spaghetti and meatballs on Friday. Something quick and easy before heading out.
    I enjoy reading your blogs daily.

90. RMB on 02 Nov 2008 at 8:24 pm #

Last night was BBQ steak, oven-fried potato wedges, fresh veggies and dip and garlic bread, with Halloween candy for dessert!

Love all your recipes, so would love a cookbook.

91. Laurie on 02 Nov 2008 at 8:35 pm #

Not sure if I can accept a cookbook that smells like Lou — my golden retriever Sally might try to finish what she started. Willing to give it a try though! (Just for fun, Sally chewed up the *first* ever book my son brought home from the school library. I had to pay 10 bucks, but I figure it’s precedent-setting in case he ever has to use my-dog-ate-my-homework as an excuse.)

For dinner before trick or treating, we had green spaghetti like you made for the Eyeopener. Only Brett doesn’t like sauce, so he just had it with some parm shaken on top. Looked kinda old and dusty that way.

92. Haruko on 02 Nov 2008 at 8:45 pm #

Before Trick or Treating we had leftovers…usually a Friday night tradition to clean out the fridge and to get a bit of free time that I would have spent cooking. So Friday was pasta night again. The kids had plain pasta (from the Italian Centre as you can always get some neat kinds there) with shredded mozza cheese and M and I had a sauce made from veggie ground, onions, tomato sauce and garlic. Pretty simple but that was the point especially tonight.

93. Nancy on 02 Nov 2008 at 9:08 pm #

I made tacos with ground moose meat. My boyfriend is a hunter, so any kinda of meat that I want is pretty much in the deep freeze. :)

94. Camille on 03 Nov 2008 at 3:05 am #

Store-bought spinach-ricotta fresh ravioli. I made my own sauce with a zucchini cut in coarse cubes, a small oignon, lots of garlic ans herbs and a can of crushed tomatoes. It’s pretty much my go-to meal when I can’t come up with something clever: pasta with a sauce thrown together from whatever fresh veggies I happen to have around.

95. Carol on 03 Nov 2008 at 5:05 am #

Well, Friday night (being halloween night) was take out Swiss Chalet – not exciting but it definitely filled the gap. Now last night (Sunday night) was tenderloin steak marinated in Keith’s amber red ale and bbq’d and served with red ale and mini portobello mushroom gravy, grilled asparagus, grilled yellow pepper, all made by my roomate’s wonderful husband. Beyond yummy!

96. Natalie on 03 Nov 2008 at 6:59 am #

I’m going through a phase these days that I am trying new recipes every week. For dinner last night, I tried a Pampered Chef recipe, called Chuck Wagon Caserole. It was pretty good! It was a kind Cowboy variation on a traditional Shepherds Pie. The meat layer was browned ground beef with beans and BBQ sauce, and the top layer was made with Corn Muffin mix and corn. It turned out really good, and quick to make. I will make it again.

And I REALLY want a copy of your book! chewed or not!

97. Alexandra on 03 Nov 2008 at 8:27 am #

We skipped out on Halloween candy distribution and went out for dinner instead. We went to the Blue House Cafe and we shared an appetizer of escargot in a red wine sauce (so yummy!) Then I had a beautiful medley of seafoods (calamari, scallops, shrimp – asked them to skip the calms and mussels) over rice. The sauce was guava and cilantro based. Really tasty and an interesting combo.

98. Jen T on 03 Nov 2008 at 8:28 am #

On a road trip south –stopped at a Japanese restaurant in Lethbridge. O`SHO’s. Had miso soup, shrimp salad, chicken katsu, beef teriayki, prawn tempura and rice….Yuuummmy. a great break from halloween food.

99. Tina on 03 Nov 2008 at 8:42 am #

Julie, when do you draw? Haven’t been on the net all weekend and just saw this. (Prepping, recovering, cleaning up after 2nd annual giant halloween costume party…) So anyway, if I’m not too late, I had spaghetti and tomato sauce last night. (And if I am, I still had spaghetti and tomato sauce last night.) And I’d love a book!!

100. Heather on 03 Nov 2008 at 10:11 am #

Pizza from Best Italian Pizza on Centre St. IMHO, the best pizza in town. Nice toppings like roasted garlic and caramelized onions, and a thin crispy crust. It’s a take-out joint only, no eating in, and delivery only to nearby neighbourhoods.

101. Lana on 03 Nov 2008 at 11:30 am #

Am i too late by doing this on Monday morning? I don’t have internet at home so don’t ready anything over the weekend.
    If I’m not, then on Thursday night, we had your “fast food” standby of salmon fillets with pesto, brown rice, spinach and carrots (from our garden!)

102. Cathy D on 03 Nov 2008 at 11:51 am #

Hey there,

Jeez, too bad he chewed the books. Great for your readers though, hey :)

Here ya go..let’s call this “supposed to” and “actual” dinner posting….

Friday night I got home very late from a week long business trip and Brad was “supposed” to have bbq’d….yum…home cooked meal after a week of restaurants. (We don’t get trick or treaters over here…you know where I live…bring W next year?) Anyhoo, poor Brad got home late too..Thus…

I was “supposed” to have bbq tenderloin with baked potato and steamed green beans. Anticipation of this had sustained me across two time zones.

“Actually” we went to Swans (you know it I am sure) where I had chicken fingers (dipped in gravey and mayo. Sigh. Willpoweroutthewindow). Brad had fish and chips. Wasn’t bad at all (We don’t like the food at the home of the Cappy platter either, so we went to Swans as an experiment. Was a welcome improvement).

HOWEVER…I want to tell you what I made Saturday night. I made “Staving Guy Chicken Pie” from those Greta and Janet (Looneyspoons?) sisters. I have made it before, the sweet potato crust is a favourite of Brad’s (I use the tinned) and that with a salad was perfect.

There you are.

Cathy

PS: Sawyer stole a highlighter from my office last week and smeared it all over the carpet and his face. Nice.

103. Kim on 03 Nov 2008 at 12:05 pm #

Would love a book, especially a personalized (dog-alized?) one.

Supper on Halloween night was homemade pizza.

Hope you feel better soon.

104. Adrienne on 03 Nov 2008 at 12:22 pm #

Dinner on Halloween night was a small slice of President’s Choice 4-seasons pizza and a meatball sub (made with Ikea meatballs) and cabbage soup. I was at my aunt’s house and the meal was a mishmash of leftovers and stuff that the kids would eat.

105. Sue Vaclavek on 03 Nov 2008 at 1:02 pm #

I probably missed this one but if its not too late, count me in for this draw. I have the book myself but love to give it away and had thought I would pick up at least a few to wrap up at Christmas this year. THE BEST COOKIE BOOK EVER! Really.

106. Jennywenny on 03 Nov 2008 at 1:11 pm #

If I’m not too late I’d love to get a cookbook. I had a go at making seitan italian sausages, which were incredibly strong tasting, so need some work, and eggplants with parmesan and breadcrumbs.

107. Shobha on 03 Nov 2008 at 1:36 pm #

Is it too late? We had yakitori, rice and broccoli. Nothing fancy but eveyrone would eat it!

108. Sara on 03 Nov 2008 at 3:24 pm #

Tyler Florence’s Red Wine “Ultimate” Beef Stew! YUM!!!

109. Cindy on 03 Nov 2008 at 10:38 pm #

Tortilla soup from the CLBB and of course chocolate!

110. Sandy on 03 Nov 2008 at 10:53 pm #

I adore cookbooks,I still have the very first one (foods 8)from high school.

111. Erica on 04 Nov 2008 at 6:08 am #

Does this one fall into the new FSF parameters of waiting ’til Tuesday? If so, I’d LOVE to have a copy of your One Smart Cookie book. That’s awesome.

For dinner last night: a warm salad of roasted pepper squash, shallots, wild rice, and roasted chickpeas. Yummy.

112. Shelley on 04 Nov 2008 at 6:06 pm #

I’d love to have a copy too! Dog spit and all! :) For dinner tonight we had vegetarian pizza and Mexican pizza. Not very exciting, but very tasty!

113. Tami on 05 Nov 2008 at 10:15 am #

My 5 year-old son recently helped me make your “Choclava” cookies…yummy! I’d love to try some more of your cookie recipes. I didn’t realize how challenging it would be to pack his school lunch/snacks every day!
    Last night we had teriyaki chicken thighs, rice, roasted red peppers and carrot/turnips mashed together. My kids cleaned their plates.

114. Maple-Rosemary Ribs and Creamy Coconut Cake | dinner with Julie on 05 May 2009 at 10:06 pm #

[...] for 2.5-3 hours) at around 11. I didn’t have any barbecue sauce, so was going to make them ginger-soy in the morning. I finished up some stuff and went to bed at [...]

115. Shaggy Monster Cookies and Ghost Cupcakes | dinner with Julie on 01 Nov 2009 at 12:24 am #

[...] One Year Ago: Sticky Ginger-Soy Ribs, Peas and Rice [...]

116. dex yellow pages omaha ne on 21 May 2013 at 2:24 am #

Hey there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I
    could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

117. http://medina-psicologia.ugr.es/moodle/blog/index.php?postid=5918 on 12 Jun 2013 at 11:35 pm #

If you’re really concerned, you could give the piece of candy crush saga level 70 tips a little taste, but I think your tick-or-treater might have issues with that. purchase candies best suited after Christmas, Valentine s evening and Easter and place apart for the wedding. They are a convenient size and easy to transport so you can keep a stack in your car or in your desk drawer to use whenever the need arises.

118. Nefful products health wear on 02 Aug 2013 at 7:04 pm #

Helpful info. Lucky me I found your web site by accident, and I am shocked why this twist of fate didn’t took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

119. purelifecleanseenmexico.com on 04 Jun 2014 at 5:38 am #

I got this web page from my buddy who informed me about this web page and now this time I am browsing this website and reading very informative content at
    this place.

Here is my webpage purelifecleanseenmexico.com

120. http://nitricmaxmuscleprecio.com on 04 Jun 2014 at 9:09 am #

Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared
    to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of.

I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider
    worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

Feel free to visit my weblog :: http://nitricmaxmuscleprecio.com

121. http://detoxmaxerfahrungen.de on 05 Jun 2014 at 12:37 pm #

Hi! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months
    of hard work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to prevent hackers?

Check out my page – http://detoxmaxerfahrungen.de

122. google on 09 Jul 2014 at 2:53 am #

Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues
    with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and
    I ended up losing months of hard work due to no backup.
    Do you have any methods to prevent hackers?

123. Jolie on 12 Jul 2014 at 9:57 pm #

The event offers networking opportunities with various nuisance as :
    mold, leakage in all financial institutions suggest mortgages contractor on Monday to affirm the portrayal of its
    settlement, completed with top-notch quality, long-lasting
    work.

My blog post :: web page (Jolie)

124. Vickie on 14 Jul 2014 at 1:54 am #

The provide total amount available for you, particularly when dealing with clogs, there are people who
    are not able to answer questions and performing at their work.
    Discuss your problems looked after and major weather disturbances such as lumber, toilets, tubs and tile, metal coating, damaged or replacing
    it arises, the UK they represent. Having your home’s structure water proofed is absolutely
    necessary to make such a design group which is work that needs to be sharp in this category.
    They should be able to evaluate.

Here is my site site – Vickie,

125. gå til følgende web side on 22 Aug 2014 at 5:19 pm #

I have read so many content on the topic
    of the blogger lovers but this post is in fact a fastidious piece of writing, keep it up.

126. win the lottery online on 23 Aug 2014 at 9:50 am #

Hi, thiis weekend is good in support of me, as this point in time i am
    reading this enormous educational piece of writing here at my house.

Feel free tto surf to my web site :: win the lottery online