Day 307: Black Currant Popsicle

Blackcurrant+popsicle Day 307: Black Currant Popsicle
Not a happy gut today. Overfed and underslept. I’m sure this is the very first second of November in my lifetime during which I ate not one Halloween candy. Believe me, there are plenty here; Mike took this as proof positive that I was unwell. My midsection retaliated all day (and still is) for, I imagine, the past few weeks of abuse.

I ate two apples and an orange today – all I could imagine eating, probably because they are cool and watery and acidic and typically make me feel hungry. At dinnertime I pulled out a container of yam and lentil soup (it has been in there longer than I thought) and Mike made W a grilled cheese sandwich. Mike ate all the soup; I had a black currant popsicle – just black currant puree and vanilla yogurt frozen in a popsicle mold with a wooden stick (I hate those plastic ones that go with the mold – they just spend all their time scattered on the basement floor being stepped on).

And sorry, I went and forgot to post my recipe for bacon brittle, in case anyone is interested. I made it last week for Halloween on CBC. It was made using my Grandma’s peanut brittle recipe. Instead of the peanuts, I cooked up about 6-8 slices of bacon until crisp, drained them and chopped them roughly, then stirred the chunks in instead of the peanuts. I also ground fresh black pepper over the surface as soon as I spread it out on the baking sheet, while it was still hot and tacky.

My Grandma’s Peanut Brittle

The recipe for my grandma’s peanut brittle is written by hand on an old recipe card I still have; it turns out to make a great basic recipe whether you want to make a nut brittle with peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pecans or mixed nuts. Try crushing nut brittle and stirring it into cookie dough or swirling it into softened ice cream.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup or honey
pinch salt
3/4 cup water
2 cups dry roasted peanuts or mixed nuts
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda

Combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar has dissolved do not stir, but swirl the pan occasionally until the mixture reaches 325°F on a candy thermometer.

Remove from heat and stir in the peanuts, vanilla and baking soda – the mixture will foam up in the pan. Immediately pour onto a rimmed baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray and spread out fairly thin with a spatula or the back of a spoon that has been sprayed as well.

Cool completely and break into chunks. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 10 servings.

Per serving: 293 calories, 10.9 g total fat (1.5 g saturated fat, 5.4 g monounsaturated fat, 3.4 g polyunsaturated fat), 5.2 g protein, 47.1 g carbohydrate, 0 mg cholesterol, 1.9 g fiber. 32% calories from fat

Hazelnut or Almond Brittle: replace the peanuts with toasted hazelnuts or sliced almonds.

Chocolate Nut Brittle: stir 1/3 cup cocoa powder into the baking soda; add in place of the baking soda.

Pumpkin Seed Brittle: replace the peanuts with toasted, salted pumpkin seeds; if you like, add a pinch of ground cumin too.

[print_link]

pixel Day 307: Black Currant Popsicle
button print gry20 Day 307: Black Currant Popsicle

November 02 2008 09:13 pm | snacks and sweet stuff

10 Responses to “Day 307: Black Currant Popsicle”

1. Buddiegirl on 03 Nov 2008 at 12:16 am #

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. When my stomach starts feeling like that I drink a lot of green tea with mint (sometimes with honey). It seems to settle my upset tummy better than most other remedies.

It is hard to get enough sleep sometimes but you have to make it a priority or you end up coming down with all sorts of ailments. You are heading into the holiday season and you definitely don’t want to end up in bed with something like the flu or a bad cold.

Take care of yourself.

2. thepinkpeppercorn on 03 Nov 2008 at 6:15 am #

Bacon sure is all the rage, but pork is sure good! But I definitely can’t imagine eating bacon brittle if you’re not feeling well. For a second there, I thought that you only had the popsicle for dinner….feel better soon.

3. Barb on 03 Nov 2008 at 7:41 am #

You poor girl. Stretching yourself farther than possible for everyone else. Take all the time you need to feel better. We’ll still be here when you come back.

4. JulieVR on 03 Nov 2008 at 8:11 am #

Oh I did only have the popsicle for dinner. I only added the bacon brittle recipe because I had promised it on Thursday or Friday and then forgot to post it!

5. Kathy on 03 Nov 2008 at 8:19 am #

Take care Julie. Sorry to hear you are sick.

6. robyn on 03 Nov 2008 at 8:40 am #

Question: Does the brittle keep well for 2 weeks if it’s the bacon version? Not that it would last that long in my house, but if I was going to make it for gifts…..

7. JulieVR on 03 Nov 2008 at 8:54 am #

Hmm. Bacon does keep for a long time, particularly cooked. But I’m still not convinced the brittle would be great after 2 weeks… especially in BC. It might get sticky. You could keep it in the freezer, where it’s also dry…

8. Tina on 03 Nov 2008 at 9:12 am #

I wonder if there’s a workers’ comp claim in all of this somehow, Julie?!

9. Melanie on 03 Nov 2008 at 9:19 am #

My 70-’ish year old babysitter swears by white grape juice as the cure all for all things stomach-related. I tried the white grape – peach combo and it really was soothing to sip on especially when mixed with a little ginger ale.
    My gido said pickle juice was the answer – I have found that to work as well.
    Hoping you feel very better, very soon – take care!

10. Leftover Halloween Candy Cookies | dinner with Julie on 02 Nov 2009 at 8:26 pm #

[...] One Year Ago: Black Currant Popsicle (and my Grandma’s Peanut Brittle with Bacon) [...]