Day 345: Brown Rice and Edamame Salad

I’m staring at my laptop with absolutely no will to write. Mike put Christmas Vacation on, but I can’t seem to pay proper attention to either. (It or this.) Poor Mike has to endure the glow and clack of my laptop every time we put a movie on or when I’m too tired to sit upright and take it to bed.

Spent most of the day in Edmonton cooking cheap/healthy/simple meals to help us through fast food season (that’s now) on BT, and inexpensive party food on the CTV noon news. Everything I made utilized brown rice, one of my favourite underused ingredients. (It costs about 6 cents per serving, and W will eat it.) Honestly, at this time of year I need dinner to be fast, nourishing if at all possible to counteract the abundance of eggnog lattes, caramels and shortbread, and cheap – no need for an explanation there. One of the best ways to get a head start on meals for a week or so is to cook up a big pot of rice to use as a foundation for lunches, dinners and even breakfasts (remember yesterday’s muesli?). White is fine but brown is a whole grain with the bran left intact, making it much higher in fiber, potassium and B vitamins than plain old white rice. (The only difference when you cook it is that it takes 45-50 minutes, rather than 20.) Rice is one of those ingredients that’s almost better as leftovers – as it cools the grains separate, making it ideal for fried rice or skillet jambalaya, and if you just want to reheat it (in the microwave or with a spoonful of water on the stovetop you end up with perfectly un-clumpy rice. It freezes well too – it thaws quickly to cook with (without getting mushy), or you can throw it frozen straight into a pot of soup, or put a big spoonful of leftover rice in the bottom of the bowl before ladling lentil or black bean soup overtop (this way the rice doesn’t make your broth all starchy). Cold rice makes a great canvas for grainy salads too, which are perfect for stashing in the fridge and dipping into all week long or bringing to a potluck or to work or school for lunch – add whichever veg you’re in the mood for, and lentils, black beans or edamame to make a complete protein. Today I was tempted to make my usual brown rice salad with dried fruit and pecans, but instead made an Asian-inspired edamame and brown rice salad that actually improves after a day in the fridge, so having made it in the morning the flavours had some time to get to know each other for a few hours before the drive home. Brown rice salad with vegetables and edamame was a far better car meal (fine at room temp, can be eaten with a plastic spoon) than Wendy’s on the highway. Bad news though: my camera batteries died en route, But if you’d like a visual you can see a photo of the rice salad here.

As I may have mentioned before, I almost always cook extra rice while I’m at it, and often that excess ends up as rice pudding. In December, you can make your rice pudding with eggnog. There is no need to measure – simply pour eggnog over your rice to cover it and then some, add a handful of golden raisins if you like, simmer until the rice absorbs the liquid, add more if you want it creamier, and so on. Cold rice pudding makes lovely little tarts that I suspect will wind up on the menu tomorrow.

I admit the locovore in me sometimes protests cooking with rice, which of course mostly comes from China, but it turns out the US produces rice as well, and in fact most of the rice Canadians consume comes from next door. Canada doesn’t produce rice at all (except wild rice, which is technically not rice at all but the seed of grasses native to the Great Lakes area), so US rice is about as local as you can get.

Rice and Edamame Salad

1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 tsp wasabi paste
1 tsp minced ginger
2 tbsp canola oil

In a large bowl, toss the rice with the edamame, bean sprouts, red pepper, corn and green onion. In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, sugar, wasabi paste and ginger, then gradually whisk in the canola oil. Toss the salad with the soy dressing.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Per cup:
Calories 255
Fat 11 g
Protein 8 g
Carbs 33 g
Fibre 3 g

pixel Day 345: Brown Rice and Edamame Salad
button print gry20 Day 345: Brown Rice and Edamame Salad

December 10 2008 10:50 pm | grains and leftovers

12 Responses to “Day 345: Brown Rice and Edamame Salad”

1. Kathy H on 11 Dec 2008 at 6:10 am #

The rice salad looks so yummy! I’ve been looking for a place to buy edamame beans, but I’m having trouble finding one. Do you have to visit a specialty store?

2. eroica on 11 Dec 2008 at 6:57 am #

I remember reading somewhere that the very best shortbread is made with RICE flour…

3. Tagyn on 11 Dec 2008 at 8:05 am #

If I invited you to a cookie exchange would you bring your caramels?

4. Erica Bell on 11 Dec 2008 at 8:55 am #

Kathy H – I get bags of shelled edamame at Superstore in the “Natural Food” aisle in the freezer(and at Planet Organic, but Superstore’s price is better). I’ve also picked them up at Costco – unshelled though and in a much larger box.

5. Dana on 11 Dec 2008 at 9:11 am #

Couldn’t agree with you more about the great feeling I have about using rice that is grown here in North America. I know China grows fantastic rice but their processing and packaging regulations leave a lot to be desired.

So, until global warming makes it possible to grow rice here in Toronto, I’m a US rice user, too!

6. JulieVR on 11 Dec 2008 at 9:17 am #

Yes, some rice flour but not all.. or they would be incredibly crumbly, since rice flour contains no gluten to hold them together.

7. Tina on 11 Dec 2008 at 3:23 pm #

I am sure I am not the only one who paused and audibly gasped at the thought of participating in a cookie exchange involving you…

8. Carol S-B on 11 Dec 2008 at 7:15 pm #

I love the idea of precooking rice: I found a terrific rice blend on sale last summer, and was precooking it… you’ve reminded me to do that again. One of my happy discoveries this past year was cooking some of the rice blend (Brown, wild, some kind of pink rice? etc.) with Too Much Water. It cooled off overnight, then in the morning I looked at it and decided that, reheated, it would make a fine base for those little packets of porridge we use when we’re camping. I love it when breakfast is fast, easy, cheap and delicious!!

9. Sarah Stelfox on 11 Dec 2008 at 8:03 pm #

Best brown rice ever: Lundberg short grain brown rice (at health food stores), nice chewy compact grains, almost barley-like. Ultimate healthy slacker-wife supper: saute onions and 1 tsp mild curry powder and 1 tsp salt, add brown rice and a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes plus enough water to make 2x the rice you put in, simmer 1 hour, yum!

10. Jen C on 12 Dec 2008 at 7:38 am #

Your ‘clack on your laptop reference’ reminds me of my daughter’s favorite book-of-the-day “Click Clack Moo”…..cows that can type, hens on strike!

Citrus shortbread sounds yum!

On another note and I didn’t get a chance to comment ‘on the day’, so so SO glad you are staying on – I would be sad if this stopped – your ideas and real life schedule and fridge contents are inspiring and your writing style is awesome!

11. ladyloo on 13 Dec 2008 at 9:22 pm #

Awwww. I got married in the Engineered Air Theatre.

12. Gillian on 10 May 2013 at 9:42 am #

Hi,

Love your blog and recipes!! I recently clicked on your link for citrus shortbread- very excitedly because I love all shortbread … instead of citrus shortbread I got this recipe for brown rice and edamame salad. Salad looks great and I’ll definitely make it but I did have my heart set on shortbread. Can you please post or send the link for citrus shortbread?

Thanks!