Day 354: Roasted Veg with Walnut Vinaigrette and Inglewood Pizza

Walnut+Roasted+Veg Day 354: Roasted Veg with Walnut Vinaigrette and Inglewood Pizza

Long day. This morning I talked about holiday cooking with nuts on the Global morning edition, having hotboxed myself in the car with this panful of roasted veg, which I pulled from the oven and threw on the back seat at around 7:30am. When I brought them into the studio everyone’s knees practically buckled, despite the fact that it was only a panful of roasted root veg and it was 8 in the morning. When I left they were all scarfing it down out of paper coffee cups with plastic forks. (The mixture of beets, sweet potatoes, fennel, turnip and carrots are tossed with oil and herbs with walnut halves added about 10 minutes from the end of the roasting time, and then drizzled with walnut vinaigrette.) Mike called it “dynamite” and suggested it would be perfect with turkey dinner – he said it seemed exactly like something that would go with stuffing. Look at him food pairing… I’m so proud. Snif.

Fast-forward: Traffic was nightmarish and exhausting to keep on top of (or try to) again this afternoon, and by the time I wrapped things up, delivered a package, and fought that same traffic to pick up W at my Mom’s, it was around 7:30. Although I knew there were leftover roasted vegetables in the fridge at home, I couldn’t even face reheating them and ordered Inglewood Pizza to pick up on the way. I did eat a few forkfuls of the leftover veg in an attempt to balance the pizza.

Good news: I have in my possession the light coconut fruitcake recipe courtesy of Mexbird. I picked up crushed pineapple. I have high hopes. It does recommend wrapping and storing it for awhile, but we obviously don’t have time for that, and I don’t want to wait for another 11 months to make it. I was going to post the recipe tonight, but I’d rather do it with photos tomorrow; I have a long list of things to make for our Christmas party tomorrow night, so tomorrow’s post will likely be late but long.

Roasted Vegetables with Walnut Vinaigrette

2 Tbsp walnut (or olive or canola) oil
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp orange zest
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1/2 tsp each coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Position oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.

Whisk oil, thyme and rosemary in large bowl. Add sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, turnips, fennel and onions; toss to coat. Divide between two rimmed baking sheets. Roast vegetables until tender and brown in spots, turning occasionally, about 30 minutes. Add walnuts to vegetables and continue to roast for 10 minutes. Remove from oven; immediately sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together walnut oil, vinegar, orange zest, orange juice, salt, pepper and parsley.

Arrange roasted vegetables on a large platter and drizzle with vinaigrette. Serve hot or at room temperature. Makes 12 servings.

Per serving: about 240 cal, 5 g pro, 16 g fat (2 g sat. fat), 22 g carb, 6 g fibre, 0 mg chol, 390 mg sodium

Multigrain+Shortbread+ +cropped Day 354: Roasted Veg with Walnut Vinaigrette and Inglewood Pizza

Multigrain Shortbread

Shortbread is a meticulous ratio of fat, flour and sugar, and you can’t mess with it without turning it into something that isn’t shortbread anymore. Because there are only 3 elements, there’s nowhere for other stuff to hide, and because it has to stand on its own, back in the 90s I preferred not to mess with it. In recent years though, I became determined to come up with a shortbread that was every bit as tender and buttery, but with healthier fats and a boost of fiber as well. My solution involves blending butter and olive or canola oil, then re-chilling it to firm it up (ever put a bottle of olive oil in the fridge, and it gets kinda cloudy and semi-solid?) before adding to the dry ingredients. It’s still high in fat, but mostly of the healthy kind that we want to include in our diets. Eat up!

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup mild (not extra-virgin) olive or canola oil
1/2 cup oats (old-fashioned or quick, but not instant)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup wheat bran, oat bran or ground flaxseed (or a combination of the three)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

In a medium bowl, stir together the butter and oil until well blended and smooth. Put in the fridge to chill for at least an hour, or for up to several days.

When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 300° F.

Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they’re as coarsely or finely ground as you like. Add the flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, wheat bran, baking powder and salt and pulse to combine them.

Add the chilled butter-oil mixture (it should be solid, but not quite as hard as butter) and pulse until the mixture starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and resembles dough. Divide the dough in half and press each half into an 8” round cake pan. If you only have one pan, bake the shortbread in two batches, shape it into a free-form circle on an ungreased cookie sheet, or wrap the second half of dough and pop it in the fridge or freezer for another time.

Prick the dough a few times with a fork and press all around the edge of the dough with the tines of the fork to make a border. Bake the shortbread for 30-35 minutes, until it’s just barely golden around the edges. Cool it in the pan for 5 minutes before cutting each circle into 12 wedges.

Per wedge: 128 calories, 8.6 g total fat (3 g saturated fat, 4.5 g monounsaturated fat, 0.6 g polyunsaturated fat), 1.3 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 10.4 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber. 59% calories from fat

Walnut Praline Shortbread: Add 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans to the dough along with the flour mixture. Adds 1.5 g fat, but only the good kind.

Rosemary Shortbread: Add 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary to the dough along with the flour mixture.

Orange-Chocolate Chip Shortbread: Add the grated zest of an orange along with the butter mixture, and stir in about 1/2 cup chopped chocolate or mini chocolate chips at the end.

[print_link]

pixel Day 354: Roasted Veg with Walnut Vinaigrette and Inglewood Pizza
button print gry20 Day 354: Roasted Veg with Walnut Vinaigrette and Inglewood Pizza

December 19 2008 09:58 pm | veg

36 Responses to “Day 354: Roasted Veg with Walnut Vinaigrette and Inglewood Pizza”

1. robyn on 19 Dec 2008 at 10:07 pm #

:- (
    I desperately want to join you!!! But the miles make it difficult.
    We have french toast and scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast, with home brewed Tim Horton’s coffee. Nothing exciting, but we like it……..

Leo would LOVE to see the play!

2. Sandra on 19 Dec 2008 at 10:34 pm #

what a great offer you have to share with us… But I to am to far away…. drat.
    We usually have this wonderfull double smoked bacon from our local butcher,waffles with home made huckleberry sauce and whipped cream.On the side there is also a strata.With coffee (timmy’s) spiked with a bit of baileys…..
    Then off for a walk and home to enjoy the smell of the turkey cooking…

3. Erica Bell on 19 Dec 2008 at 10:54 pm #

After the wrapping paper has settled: Coffee (my kids inherited Daddy’s morning people gene – it’s likely about 6am) scrambled eggs, bacon, and “Daddy’s Flyin’ Flapjacks” (C’s name for DH’s pancakes) with maple syrup, oj & mimosas for the grown ups. Then comes the prep for the arrival of my BIL, SIL and their 5 kids 8mo – 10yo. :)

4. Meghan on 20 Dec 2008 at 12:07 am #

Christmas morning … I can almost taste it … fresh coffee, homemade muffins (blueberry, carrot/raisin), and the oranges from the bottom of our stockings. Once the stockings and presents are open we sit down to scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, freshh hashbrowns, homemade canned fruit, and hot toast. A simple but delicious meal! Can’t wait …

5. Buddiegirl on 20 Dec 2008 at 12:41 am #

Cinnamon swirl french toast and sausages with hot chocolate for my daughter and Starbucks Christmas blend coffee for my husband and me. We have eaten this same breakfast for the last 8 years and my daughter will never let us change it to anything else.

We also always eat it off of a Christmas dinner service my sister gave me many years ago. The angel plate for my daughter, the snowman plate for me and the Santa plate for my husband. It’s our only true holiday tradition.

6. Mexbird on 20 Dec 2008 at 1:57 am #

Since my husband is Polish our breakfast is always Kutcha which is boiled wheat mixed with butter and honey and either ground poppy seeds chopped dates. We follow this with coffee and stolen or prune buns. My grown daughters follow the same tradition.

Hope you enjoy the Christmas show but I live too far away to go but Merry Christmas to all your family.

7. Natalie on 20 Dec 2008 at 5:34 am #

I live too far away too – boo! We have fruit soup, rice pudding, sweet bread and an egg dish…. Mom makes it all, so it tastes even better!

Merry Christmas.

8. Christina on 20 Dec 2008 at 6:05 am #

This is the coolest Free Stuff Friday by far! Don’t get me wrong, I love all of them but what a wonderful and personal idea! And lucky for me, I’m in Calgary!! YEEHAA!! So Christmas morning I’ll have a basket of coisants, ham, jam, cheese’s, crackers christmas baking and of course baileys and coffee (Starbucks Christmas blend … it’s just become tradition) for when we open presents. My Parents and Grandparents are sleeping over so they’ll be 6 adults and our 3 kids for present opening this year! How fun! At around 11 I’ll cook a breakfast, Ham, Eggs, toast, fresh tomato, etc. I bought a pork shoulder at the Superstore a couple days ago. The thing I love about it is once I’m done with it for the meal I keep the leftover on the bone and boil the heck out of it, remove the meat and make a killer split pea soup! Turns out to be a very cost efficient meal! If I don’t win enjoy the show!!

9. Ricki on 20 Dec 2008 at 6:15 am #

Those veggies sound perfect for a holiday meal! And I love how you improved the shortbread–it looks fabulous, too. Christmas breakfast?? I haven’t got that far yet–no idea!! I’m still not even finished shopping. . . !

10. Elsbeth on 20 Dec 2008 at 6:20 am #

My husband’s family’s “keeper” Christmas tradition is that the men cook! Love that one. So this year my brother, my husband and our almost-three-year-old son will make come assortment of sweet and savoury breakfast fare – not sure until I get the grocery list.

In the past Christmas Day breakfast has been eggs benny, Pannenkoek, bacon and eggs, eggnog pancakes and lots of variations of those. Plus, I usually make some muffins the day before for snacking while we do stockings.

The “what” matters not nearly so much as the “by whom” as I’ll be planted on the couch with my sister-in-law and an Irish coffee (because the no hard liquor or whipped cream before noon rule doesn’t apply on Dec. 25th) watching my kids enjoy the morning.

If not for the extended family get-together plans at precisely 2 on Sunday, we’d love to see the show with you guys. It’s been phenomenal in past years – enjoy.

11. suz on 20 Dec 2008 at 6:22 am #

Every year I make these crazy ‘Land of Nod’ cinnamon buns from the Best of Bridge ladies. The ingredients include: frozen bun dough, butter, brown sugar, raisins and vanilla pudding powder.

I’m not kidding. My kids LOVE them and I started a tradition that I now cannot stop…they have already asked if I’m making them this year.

12. Jenn on 20 Dec 2008 at 7:29 am #

I always make these Bacon and Cheese Muffins. Everyone has come to expect them. We keep it simple and small because we always have 2 dinners that day, one around lunchtime and then again at suppertime.

Merry Christmas!

13. JuneyB on 20 Dec 2008 at 7:45 am #

Christmas breakfast for us will be stuffed croissant french toast – split croissants, stuff with mixed berries, a little raspberry jam & a hunk of cream cheese. Close ‘em up, then treat just like regular french toast, but put them in the oven for a few minutes just before serving to puff up. We’re having these with home-made peameal bacon, glazed with a little maple syrup just before it’s done. Found the peameal bacon recipe on line & have been making it for the past year. It’s easy & oh, so good & sure tastes like home. Would absolutely love Rose’s new book! Thanks for all the inspiration Julie – I sure as heck don’t know how you do it being as there’s only 24 hrs. in every day. Seems like you’ve invented a way to make the days last longer though. Take care of yourself, OK? You’re important to us!

14. Annalise on 20 Dec 2008 at 9:24 am #

Thanks for sending the Flaxseed wafer recipe-they will be the perfect balance for the other sweet treats on my gift trays!

As the official cookie in the house, I can plan whatever I want for Christmas breakfast. The only real constant each year is Coffee with Bailey’s (We have some Phil and Sebastian beans waiting in the freezer) but I am also planning on making Cranberry Ginger Scones and the Winter Fruit Salad featured on Smitten Kitchen a few weeks ago-both require minimal effort on Christmas morning, and are therefore ideal for the big day. However, I might also look into mimosas, as there has been a small bottle of champagne sitting in the fridge for over a year!

15. sue d. on 20 Dec 2008 at 10:37 am #

All those festive breakfasts sound amazing!

We usually change up Christmas breakfast from year to year, this year I’m planning a plum or peach cobbler, boiled eggs, bacon and of course coffee. And lots of fruit, to provide ballast for the big meal.

The book sounds gorgeous…I’m out of town too.

16. Pat from Windsor on 20 Dec 2008 at 11:04 am #

Last year I made crepes with various fillings available, scrambled eggs, toast and bacon. Have a wonderful time at the play.

17. Cargomarg on 20 Dec 2008 at 11:21 am #

Christmas morning starts off with coffee with Baileys
    and a slice of almond ring while opening presents,
    then Eggs Benedict.
    Has anybody in Calgary been able to find the “Phantom” Canton beans? I live in the deep
    southeast and have been to 3 Sobey’s, 2 Walmarts and
    1 London Drugs with no luck.
    I would love the cookbook, love regional cooking.
    Merry Christmas

18. Rose on 20 Dec 2008 at 12:09 pm #

I have been making the same Christmas breakfast for twenty years plus (I wouldn’t want to tell you how old that makes me)– I found the recipe in the Calgary Herald and it was such a hit that it wouldn’t be Christmas without it. It is called Christmas morning wife saver or something and there are many variations around now. I make it on Christmas Eve (always last thing before bed and I always wish I still didn’t have one last thing to do.) Anyway, it takes French bread slices, cheese slices, and ham. Beaten eggs and milk are poured over and the bread absorbs the liquid overnight and then it is baked while we open presents. We have it with real maple syrup, and peach slices — yummy! I too would love to join you but live out of town, alas. Merry Christmas — love your blog.

19. Annalise on 20 Dec 2008 at 1:26 pm #

since I didn’t indicate earlier, I am in town at the moment!

20. Anne on 20 Dec 2008 at 1:57 pm #

Christmas morning is alway overnight cinnamon buns and cheese buns with a wonderful fruit salad of grapefruit, oranges, dried cranberries, kiwi, and a tiny bit of candied ginger chopped fine…. mmm I can’t wait!

My daughter Sarah lives in Calgary and would love to join you..
    If that doesn’t work I’m always into a new cookbook

Have a great Christmas Julie and I’m so glad you will be continuing this blog in the New Year!

21. Lisette on 20 Dec 2008 at 2:34 pm #

HI Julie –

Christmas breakfast for us will include Land of Nod cinnamon buns ….some fruit, eggs, and bacon.

I had a question for you….your roasted vegetables sounded so delicious…..Can you suggest another oil to use instead of a “nut” oil…due to my allergies. Olive oil doesn’t sound like it would have the same impact. thanks
    Merry Christmas!
    Lisette
    Edmonton

22. Melanie on 20 Dec 2008 at 2:41 pm #

Christmas breakfast? Isn’t that usually the hershey’s chocolate kisses and Christmas orange that Santa leaves in your stocking??
    I guess once that is digested, we usually have something yummy from the oven (maybe a wife-saver type thing) and ham / bacon, and coffee with baileys.
    We are out in Cochrane but I’m sure that I could talk my husband into staying home with the 2 y.o monster so that the well-behaved 9 y.o. and I could go for a drive!
    Have a wonderful time!

23. Marilyn on 20 Dec 2008 at 2:58 pm #

Our Christmas mornings changed after a visit to my husband’s relatives in Denmark when our son was 3 years old. He loved the “choose” morning breakfasts that were served in the inns. The sliced sausage, ham, and cheeses served with thin-sliced rye or artisan bread followed by assorted pastries became his (and his father’s) requested Christmas breakfast. Accompanied by several pots of dark-roast coffee, the “choose” breakfast was a hit with both sides of the family.

By the next year, my Hungarian mother had added her fruit-studded Christmas braid and my husband’s mother her wonderful cardamon buns. My sister added a fruit salad the following year while my father supplied a bottle of bubbly to accompany the adults’ orange juice. Our Danish/Hungarian/Canadian Christmas morning tradition had been set.

We graze at this spread for most of the morning. Since everything is prepared the day before, even the cook gets a stress-free Christmas morning.

While I’d love to meet you in person, Julie, the distance means I’ll have to settle for the cookbook. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

24. Tagyn on 20 Dec 2008 at 3:29 pm #

I started a tradition last year of having those really bad for you cinnamon buns from the mall for Christmas morning! We have to balence it with some fruit and maybe an egg dish from the oven.
    I would love to join you for A Christmas Carol and I think my 7 year old son is old enough to enjoy it, what a treat that would be!
    The cookbook sounds good also!

25. Kathy H on 20 Dec 2008 at 3:41 pm #

The only sure thing about Christmas morning is cinnamon buns and coffee (my mom makes the buns). The rest of the menu is pretty fluid, we might add some ham and eggs. It depends on how much Christmas Eve snacking went on!

Have fun at the play. (if you pick me, I won’t be able to join you, but the cookbook sounds delectable!) Merry Christmas to you and yours.

26. Kathryn on 20 Dec 2008 at 4:43 pm #

I am simplifying Christmas breakfast this year. For the past several years I’ve made make-ahead eggs benny with fruit salad and something baked and sweet. I’ve hosted Christmas Eve dinners for the past few years, sent people home, then welcomed them back Christmas morning. Overall, it was getting to be too much kitchen time and not enough fun time.

This year I’m making an automatic breakfast as requested by husband and kids: Kicking Horse coffee made in our programmable Cuisinart coffeemaker (OK, that’s not for the kids) and porridge started the night before in the slow cooker. The porridge has steel cut oats, brown rice, bulgur, wheat germ, rye flakes, vanilla, raisins, dried apricots, chopped almonds, nutmeg and cinnamon. We’ll have it with milk and maple syrup. My Mom will bring over cinnamon buns or something of that ilk.

Rats! I’d love to come to A Christmas Carol with you but I will be settling down to see The Nutcracker at that exact moment!

Merry Christmas!

27. pauline on 20 Dec 2008 at 5:07 pm #

Darn it Julie, I live in Morinville. A little to far to travel. Xmas morning too is coffee, good coffee and wouldn’t you know it Costco doesn’t have it and its my favourite Guatemalaan. Here is what it says on the bag lol High in the moutanins of guatemala surrounded by volcanoes, lies Lake Atotlan. with its steep slopes, high altitude, rich volcanic soil and perfect balance of sunlight and rainfall, small family farms take care to grow high-quality beans and hand pick them at optimum ripeness. Now tell me where am I going to duplicate that sob, sob. Anddddd we always have a fresh fruit salad along with fresh baked Crossisants and orange juice. My nest dilema, Costco or Superstore is where I usually find them frozen and you just pop them in the oven to bake so yummi, but this year no one has them. They are just not the same bought already made. Oh well I will just have to try one of the splendid ideas on your site Julie, but I can hear the bitching now its not the sameeeeeeeeee.

28. Dana mccauley on 20 Dec 2008 at 5:11 pm #

I’ve made those roasted veggies myself and I have to saw I loved them, too!

29. Les on 21 Dec 2008 at 5:41 am #

Oh, those veggies look good!
    I plan to serve scrambled egg on waffles with peppers, onions and tomato. All topped with cheese of course.
    Unfortunately, I am not free on sunday.

30. Sue (London) on 21 Dec 2008 at 7:13 am #

Aw… how I would love to join you this afternoon! Hopefully you’ll tell us all about it.
    Our traditional Christmas breakfast: starts out with a bowl of Froot Loops! Then my husband makes “the big breakfast” with eggs etc and “hurlka” which is a sausage type thing with ground pork/beef, rice & barley. My husband’s family is Slovak and his parents always cooked “hurlka” Christmas morning (I have no idea the proper spelling and after 21 years of marriage still can’t pronounce it). Quite delicious.
    I’m going to bake that healthier shortbread today. Thanks Julie.

31. Pdot on 21 Dec 2008 at 5:17 pm #

I used to make lovely big breakfasts for Christmas and use a lot of my Grandmothers recipes but everyone is spread all over the county now. My closest son is 30 miles away and said they were having a knock out Christmas Breakfast with the other in-laws and a few friends and would I like to join them.Don’t know what to expect but thought I would take one of Gma’s canned fruit compotes…one can each of grapefruit, mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, slice up one or two bananas and there you go. Put it all together the night before except for the banana. It’s a nice foil for anything sweet. I live in Northern California so I guess the play is out for me this year.Love the blog.

32. Jen T on 22 Dec 2008 at 7:14 am #

We always eat our candy in our stockings for Christmas morning….nuts, gum, candies, jube jubes, chocolate and more chocolate—

A cookbook would be great at this time of year!

33. Barb on 22 Dec 2008 at 7:23 am #

I would love to live in Calgary for events just like this. I have often dreamed of seeing the Nutcracker a Christmas, too. Many years ago I went to a Christmas carol evening at Knox United Church and it has stayed with me ever since. It was wonderful. Alas, I will leave the tickets for some luckey other person.

34. Barb on 22 Dec 2008 at 7:27 am #

Oh I forgot about breakfast on the big day. Undecided between Eggs Benedict or Cinnamon French Toast.

35. Lana on 22 Dec 2008 at 10:22 am #

Hi there! If I’m not too late for FSF, I will put in my 2 cents now!
    I am too far away or would love an outing with all of you.
    Christmas morning, hm. We have to drive to John’s parents’ that afternoon so we will likely have something easy..scrambled eggs with cream cheese and chives, stuffed into croissants, clementines and pomogranates, juice in wine glasses for the girls, and Equator coffee for John and me. Along with nuts, chocolate and candy canes for the road!
    Merry Christmas to all!

36. Suzanne on 23 Dec 2008 at 3:35 pm #

Crab Eggs Bennie and champagne.

Happy days!