Chickpeas with Roasted Red Peppers, Parsley and Garlic

Chick+peas+with+red+pepper+and+parsley Chickpeas with Roasted Red Peppers, Parsley and Garlic

Surveying the contents of my fridge yesterday I had leftover roasted peppers from my demo in Lake Louise and a ziploc baggie of chick peas – a few days ago I accidentally opened a can, so it needed using up. I took a peek back at the chickpea recipes I made last year – wanting badly to roast them with garlic and chard, but knowing that although it’s great for you and full of heart-healthy mono and polyunsaturated fats, it’s pretty caloric on account of all that oil. The chick peas with lemon and Parmesan were pretty good – I figured they could be improved upon with the addition of roasted red peppers (very vitamin-rich and low calorie), fresh parsley (ditto), a slick of extra-virgin olive oil, a squeeze of lemon and finely squished clove of garlic. I made it yesterday but had no parsley, and figured the peas and peppers would be better with a day to marinate anyway.

And it was. Today I roughly chopped half a bunch of parsley and stirred it in, along with a fine grating of Parmesan cheese (amazing how much you can get out of a small chunk with a Microplane grater) and topped the lot with plenty of black pepper. Yum.

Mike and I were caught on security camera while computer shopping today…

pixel Chickpeas with Roasted Red Peppers, Parsley and Garlic
button print gry20 Chickpeas with Roasted Red Peppers, Parsley and Garlic

January 15 2009 08:27 pm | beans and salads and vegetarian

15 Responses to “Chickpeas with Roasted Red Peppers, Parsley and Garlic”

1. Kathy H on 15 Jan 2009 at 9:29 pm #

Yummy looking salad! Such a handsome couple! That computer looks suspiciously familiar to one we had eons ago, when my three sons were wee ones, and we loved to watch Sesame Street together. Those were the days…..

2. Avery on 15 Jan 2009 at 9:33 pm #

OH, I love those aliens…yip yip yip uh-huh…

3. Manon from Ontario on 16 Jan 2009 at 5:08 am #

You make me laugh…..I love those two sesame street monsters……thanks!
    I’m having a bad week, between my ears, I’m not treating myself too nicely, have to change my vocabulary towards myself.
    I plan to move at least 30 min today, it will have to be inside since our high today will be -24C.
    Thanks for that salad, gives me great food planning ideas.
    Love reading you.
    Manon from Ontario

4. ladyloo on 16 Jan 2009 at 6:25 am #

I think we had a Tandy that looked just like that…

5. Barb on 16 Jan 2009 at 6:46 am #

Did you decide to buy it?

6. JulieVR on 16 Jan 2009 at 7:04 am #

Yep. Ditching this dinosaur (although it has done me well) and going to pick up a spanking new Mac today. I’m terrified of how long it’s going to take me to transfer my files though… and my laptop died last night (timing!) so I don’t even have that as backup…

7. Melanie on 16 Jan 2009 at 7:50 am #

Yip, yip, yip, yip…. uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh!!!
    Love it!

8. Melanie on 16 Jan 2009 at 7:53 am #

Oh yes, and enjoy the mac. Transferring files does not take that long. They have these fancy cords and technology to do it all for you. I’m sure mine took less than an hour and I had piles and piles on my old one. It’s going to be so worth it! If you need any mac help – please don’t hesitate to be in touch!!!

9. Lana on 16 Jan 2009 at 8:41 am #

I LOVE those guys.
    “Phone? Phone? yip-yip-yip…PhOOOne.” LOL.
    That salad looks excellent and I plan to make it tonight, for lunch tomorrow.

10. margo on 16 Jan 2009 at 11:37 am #

Julie, you are going to LOVE your mac. I am so not tech-savvy, but the mac is so “intuitive” (so they told me), and now after a year of using it, I know what that means. It is very user friendly and they’ve made it so easy to switch over. Congratulations!

11. sue.d on 16 Jan 2009 at 12:11 pm #

E and I laughed for ages this morning over this. I love your humour.

I love parsley and lemon and garlic together! Your salad looks so good, yes please I’d love that for dinner tonight. Delivery across the country?

12. Lisa on 16 Jan 2009 at 2:05 pm #

We got a MacBook for Christmas and it’s so speedy and slick and nice! I mainly use it for email and surfin’ the net, but hubby transferred all my email, address, bookmarks in Firefox and the like in about 10 minutes (now, he is quite computer savvy, but that was way faster than when he transferred everything from desktop to laptop, both being PCs).

I’m always looking for ways to eat more chickpeas (and other beans), so thanks for the yummy salad!

13. Theresa on 16 Jan 2009 at 3:37 pm #

Julie,
    You take such beautiful pictures. This one is excellent!

14. Rebecca on 18 Jan 2009 at 4:05 pm #

I love this salad and have made many variations of it. I really liked adding the lemon juice, red peppers and parsley and will totally do that again. Other yummy versions include adding tuna, artichoke hearts, avocado, balsamic vinegar, and/or tomatoes.

15. Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies | dinner with Julie on 16 Jan 2010 at 6:01 pm #

[…] One Year Ago: Chickpeas with Roasted Peppers, Parsley & Garlic […]