Curried Coconut Mango Chicken in Wonton Cups

Coconut+Mango+Chicken+in+Wonton+Cups Curried Coconut Mango Chicken in Wonton Cups

I woke up this morning and decided to sleep in, as much as it is possible to sleep in with a three year old, having not had the chance to until this weekend and then having stayed out until well after midnight both nights (my own fault, I know). It got light out, and I dozed. W got up and hopped on the computer to play Green Eggs and Ham. I imagined it must be getting close to ten, the sun had been out for so long. When I finally sat up and located my glasses to view the clock, it was 7:45.

My first thought: yay – no more shooting dinnertime photos in the dark! And: come on, spring.

I’m touched, by the way, by all the concern over my hip. I was a little perplexed to be honest, because it wasn’t really all that bad, but then I realized I had added seriously to the end of my wipeout report, which likely led some of you to believe I had seriously injured myself, when in fact what I meant was along the lines of – you know you’re getting old when you start using phrases like “a sack of peas the size of a polar bear’s pilllow” and falling and hurting your hip. Like, seriously. So really it was more Valley Girl slang than reference to the intensity of my injury. In reality all I ended up with was a sore neck and a bruised right bum cheek – which should totally not have happened considering the amount of padding I have on said cheek.

(Mike, on the other hand, suffered a more severe injury last week: he has become addicted to my Grandma’s peanut brittle, and so learned to make it himself, and sustained a rather large napalm-like burn on the tender outside of his forearm as the stuff overflowed out of the pot when he added the baking soda. On the same day. We’re hoping this week won’t require as much ibuprofen.)

I have just finished up as many new photos as are going to get done for the re-release of Grazing (it goes to the printer on Friday – eeek!), and this was one of them. For dinner I added the rest of the can of coconut milk (not the healthiest ingredient, I know) and put the lot over rice. (And at around the same time, halved the jumbo IKEA cinnamon bun my well-intentioned mom brought over on the weekend, dipped it in milk and egg, and cooked it up like French toast. A less food-addicted person would have simply tossed it out.)

Curried Coconut Mango Chicken in Wonton Cups

Coconut milk is astonishingly high in fat and calories – light coconut milk is a much better choice, and if you want to boost the coconut flavor even further you can add a drop or two of coconut extract. These cups make great use of leftover roast chicken or turkey.

24 wonton wrappers (plus extra, if you have enough filling for more)

a drizzle of canola or olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1 Tbsp. curry paste (or to taste)
1/2 cup coconut milk (light or regular)
1/3 cup mango or peach chutney
Juice of 1/2 a lime (about a tablespoon)
Salt to taste
Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

To make the wonton cups, press fresh wonton wrappers into mini muffin tins, pressing any folds firmly to the sides, and bake at 350°F for 5-10 minutes, until golden. Set aside to cool.

To make the filling, heat about a teaspoon of oil in a skillet and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Add the chicken, curry paste, coconut milk, chutney, lime juice and salt. Cook, stirring often, until bubbly and thickened. Cool slightly or chill before spooning into wonton cups. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Makes 2 dozen cups.

Per cup: 69 calories, 1 g total fat (0.3 g saturated fat, 0.3 g monounsaturated fat, 0.3 g polyunsaturated fat), 7.1 g protein, 7.3 g carbohydrate, 16.8 mg cholesterol, 0.1 g fiber. 13% calories from fat

We are finally meeting for “Book Club” this week – on Wednesday night! For those of you who don’t know about Book Club, it really has nothing to do with books, but is all about getting together to swap notes and support each others’ weight loss efforts (and eat cupcakes, most likely, but the meeting room is at the top of a big flight of stairs, so that’s something) – if you are interested, email me and I’ll send the coordinates.

I myself am not as stellar an example as I have been since the beginning of January… upon wrapping our three week shoot and then starting to get up at 4:30 am to do traffic reports, I kind of collapsed in a heap of chocolate, bread and cheese. And let me tell you, I don’t feel any better for it. Or more relaxed, or energized. It’s funny how quickly you forget. (They say your body remembers – yes, mine remembers being over 300 pounds…) So tonight I’m going to attempt a reasonable number of hours in bed (last night was interrupted every 20 minutes or so by Lou very loudly barfing about 3 feet from my ear, then barking at whomever delivers the newspapers at 5am. It’s a good thing he’s cute. And oh – it’s his first birthday today) and then back to the gym and reasonable eating habits again tomorrow and we’ll see if we can’t swing this freighter back into the right direction.
[print_link]

pixel Curried Coconut Mango Chicken in Wonton Cups
button print gry20 Curried Coconut Mango Chicken in Wonton Cups

March 02 2009 05:39 pm | leftovers

24 Responses to “Curried Coconut Mango Chicken in Wonton Cups”

1. Dana mccauley on 02 Mar 2009 at 6:18 pm #

Poor Mike – that sounds like a very nasty burn!

2. lovetocook on 02 Mar 2009 at 6:48 pm #

Nasty burn indeed. Now men will really believe that cooking is bad for them.
    Thanks for the Coconut Mango Chicken recipe – and the great Thai stuff in City Palette this month.
    PS Don’t cover the burn. It will heal faster and leave less scar if exposed to air.

3. lovetocook on 02 Mar 2009 at 6:49 pm #

Oops, City Palate

4. Jen C on 02 Mar 2009 at 7:44 pm #

Happy Birthday to Lou – a year already, wowza! Rob picked up that City Palate edition (as a teaser I’m sure) but can’t wait to get everything!

Wonton cups look great….love the mango/cilantro combination – always good. I love to do up an avocado/mango/red onion/cilantro salsa – it is so yummy!

5. Colleen on 02 Mar 2009 at 8:32 pm #

I hope all of you are feeling better.
    Happy B-day to Lou!
    The picture of the wonton cups is stellar! They look like birds. (I mean that in a good way).

6. DJ on 02 Mar 2009 at 8:52 pm #

MMMMMMMMMMMMM….sounds yummy. Anything cooked with coconut milk and curry is a good thing! I just happen to have leftover chicken from last nite so this is just the recipe I needed! thanks

7. DJ on 02 Mar 2009 at 8:56 pm #

Sounds yummy. Anything cooked with coconut milk and curry is a good thing! I just happen to have leftover chicken from last nite so this is just the recipe I needed! thanks

8. Erica B. on 02 Mar 2009 at 9:42 pm #

One of my fave apps that always disappears minutes after leaving the kitchen! :)

Btw, remember dorset muesli? (the granola with all the airmiles and pricetag to match) My superstore is now carrying it in the natural food aisle for about $5.50/box.

9. Kate on 03 Mar 2009 at 5:42 am #

The wonton cups look great. Crispy and bursting with flavor!

10. Pat from Ontario on 03 Mar 2009 at 5:52 am #

I am SO envious of the people who can attend the “Book Club”. I may have to come and visit my family and friends in Calgary so I can attend one week.

This Saturday I am going on my first cruise which is to the Eastern Caribbean. I have been warned about the delicious food just waiting to entice me off my program. I have worked too hard to lose weight to let a week throw me completely off my course. A saving grace is that I am attending daily seminars on the ship called “A Course in Miracles”. From all accounts from former cruisers, I NEED a miracle to come home without added “baggage”.

I sure will miss reading your blog, and the responses!

11. Manon from Ontario on 03 Mar 2009 at 6:35 am #

It’s always when we are extra exhausted that the animals get sick it seems ;(
    Hey no pics of Lou, come on now, it’s his b-day after all!

You are run down Julie, you need rest in order to get back to your routine, I know, I get the same.

This is our crazy time of year for us, sugar shack time, we have courses (orchard training) every Saturday till the end of March, and on top of that we have to transform our maple products on Sundays, start tapping the maples, and produce maple syrup in a week or two…and just to make things more interesting, my daughter asthma is chronic, no control over it, we are goind to the doctors tomorrow, first appointment available!

I’m very worried, poor girl.

Love your blog, and very sorry I don’t live in Calgary for your “book” club ;(

MFO

12. Elaine on 03 Mar 2009 at 7:38 am #

I love this recipe; before reading this website, it never occurred to me to make wontons into edible containers, but I use them all the time now. Cinnamon sugar wontons for ice cream; parmesan & rosemary wontons for wild rice/chicken salad; oregano wontons for mini caprese salads — it’s always a hit!

Thanks for the great ideas! And don’t worry; spring will get here soon, and with the arrival of warmer weather, salady-type things will seem like much more of a viable option than chili, pot pie, and mac & cheese.

13. Kelly Thompson on 03 Mar 2009 at 7:40 am #

Just a note on you french toast styled cinnamon buns, the same concept works really well for day old Apple fritters. Not that you should eat that everyday but, very yummy as a treat.

14. Erica B. on 03 Mar 2009 at 7:43 am #

Pat: Enjoy the cruise! Think of all of us shovelling snow/slush.(we woke up to a real mess in Calgary this morning) I wouldn’t worry about one week undoing all the good habits you’ve developed over the past few years. :)

15. Erica B. on 03 Mar 2009 at 7:47 am #

Julie: How’d you get the wonton wrappers golden and bubbly looking? Mine brown a little when I bake them but they never look that crispy. TIA

16. Nancy G on 03 Mar 2009 at 8:55 am #

What a stunning picture Julie. When will Grazing hit the shelves again?

17. Philip Coppard on 03 Mar 2009 at 9:49 am #

Hey Julie, I was reading some articles in Psychology Today, and there was this great article on will power. Part of it says:

Self-regulation appears to depend on available blood glucose. Even a single act of self-regulation has been shown to reduce the amount of available glucose in the bloodstream, impairing later self-regulatory attempts. Interestingly, just a drink of sugar-sweetened lemonade eliminated this self-regulatory depletion in experiments. The message from this research, don’t get hypoglycemic, your self-regulation will suffer. Keep a piece of fruit handy (complex carbohydrate) to restore blood glucose.

The full article is at

Sorry about the long address. don’t know how to post a link.

18. BettyC on 03 Mar 2009 at 11:45 am #

Wontons look really yummy! I am really looking forward to Book Club as heaven only knows I need the group support (kick) in the right direction on the weight loss – right after the cupcakes, of course.
    See you Wednesday.

19. LisaMer on 03 Mar 2009 at 6:11 pm #

I’m so sad that I’m missing the inaugural edition of book club! Hubby (this one a burn-free Mike ;) ) curls on Wednesdays, but his season will be over soon. I’ll be at the next one for sure! I need to complain about how I’m barely losing weight on Weight Watchers despite being vigilant about it. =P =P

20. sue.d on 03 Mar 2009 at 6:59 pm #

They do look like birds, origami ones! Gorgeous pic too.

21. New Year's Eve Menu on 31 Dec 2009 at 10:49 am #

[...] Curried Coconut Mango Chicken in Wonton Cups [...]

22. Kristen on 01 Jan 2010 at 1:16 pm #

Thanks for the recipe! I made this for New Year’s Eve and they turned out fab!!

23. full home on 22 Jan 2014 at 3:47 am #

Asking questions are truly pleasant thing if you are not understanding anything entirely,
    except this article offers pleasant understanding yet.

24. window cleaner on 31 May 2014 at 7:53 pm #

window cleaner

Curried Coconut Mango Chicken in Wonton Cups – Dinner With Julie Dinner With Julie Curried Coconut Mango Chicken in Wonton Cups » Dinner With Julie