Chicken Thais

Chicken+Thais Chicken Thais

I am quite slow on the uptake. That memo probably took awhile to get out.

I have been meaning to revisit the Thai chicken thighs since a conversation broke out on the topic months ago. I have just now gotten ’round to digging some skinless chicken thighs out of the freezer and throwing them in the slow cooker with a cup of salsa, a couple big spoonfuls of peanut butter, a squirt of soy sauce and lime juice, and a small spoonful of grated ginger. Served over leftover rice, fried up in a little canola and sesame oil with some frozen peas. V. tasty. In fact, my parents popped by tonight after a meeting and almost finished the leftovers cold, at the kitchen counter, standing up. My Dad asked what was in it. (This is a v. good sign.)

Seriously, this is about as easy as it gets. It looks a little watery at first, but give it a chance – the sauce will cook up nicely. Just be gentle with them when they’re done; if you take of the lid and give it a stir, all the thighs will come apart and you’ll wind up with juicy chunks with naked bones swimming around the pot.

Chicken+Thais+2 Chicken Thais

Thai Chicken Thighs

8 skinless chicken thighs
1 cup salsa
1/4-1/2 cup peanut butter (any kind)
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. lime juice
2 tsp. grated ginger

Put everything in the slow cooker and set on low for 6 hours. Serve warm over rice.

One Year Ago: Oven Roasted Barbecue Ribs
[print_link]

pixel Chicken Thais
button print gry20 Chicken Thais

March 11 2009 08:12 pm | chicken & turkey and slow cooker

23 Responses to “Chicken Thais”

1. Rose on 11 Mar 2009 at 8:31 pm #

How I love quick and easy recipes like this one! Have not tried that combination before and it’ll be dinner this weekend. I don’t have a slow cooker but imagine I could do it on the stovetop on low for an hour or so?
    Rose

2. Reith on 11 Mar 2009 at 9:16 pm #

Hey Jules!
    Just thinking about you, missing you, figured it was too late to call so dropped by your site. That looks GOOD. I’ve got some cilantro that’s just about to lose the battle so that’ll be dinner tomorrow.
    Love you and miss you loads. I’ve often thought over the past few months of how nice it would be to beam myself to your house for some soul food and soul company (you know what I mean). xo

3. Kathy on 12 Mar 2009 at 5:54 am #

I have a similar recipe with salsa, light coconut or evaporated milk, and peanut butter. Culled from the Calgary Mirror years ago.

4. Manon from Ontario on 12 Mar 2009 at 7:33 am #

Thanks for this recipe, will be making that this weekend as sugar season is NOW, and I need quick and no brainer recipe for the next while.

You are wonderful Julie,

MFO

5. Sue (London) on 12 Mar 2009 at 8:06 am #

Now thats my kind of recipe! Slow cooker, easy, few ingredients… looks delicious! Thanks Julie.

6. Jen C on 12 Mar 2009 at 8:44 am #

This is SO on the menu for Saturday night! Tasty, easy – what more do you need! Even some ‘little green balls’ in there for health and color. Excellent!

7. terry on 12 Mar 2009 at 7:26 pm #

I bought some spicy peanut butter on mega sale, I guess most people dont think cayenne and PB make a good sandwich! and so Ive been making lots of chicken and shrimp stir fries with it…I love this idea with the salsa and so will try it. But I cant see how this would be good with Kraft? really, ANY kind of pb?

8. JulieVR on 12 Mar 2009 at 7:28 pm #

ANY kind! I used Kraft light. I’m unfortunately addicted to the stuff. It would be healthiest with all-peanut peanut butter though.

9. Barb on 13 Mar 2009 at 5:52 am #

I’m going to try this too. Wih all those flavors in there it looks like you can’t lose.

10. Janice on 13 Mar 2009 at 6:36 pm #

Julie, This looks really good and I think I’d like to make it soon. I’m just wondering what type of salsa you used. Was it jarred or fresh? Any particular brand?

11. Joan on 16 Mar 2009 at 10:41 am #

This looks yummy. I’m about to do a kitchen reno, so slow cooker recipes rule. You thawed the thighs first, right? Or not? Sorry, I’m dense.

12. JulieVR on 16 Mar 2009 at 10:55 am #

No you’re not! It’s a good question. You could do it either way, really, although doing it from frozen would take some extra time and add some extra moisture from the icy chicken.

13. Katrina on 01 Feb 2010 at 8:28 pm #

Hi – have only discovered your site, and am loving getting lots of recipe ideas from it. In Australia if I was to buy salsa it would be in the Mexican food section and I’d have it on tacos. Is that what you mean for this recipe? Would never have thought to use it in a Thai dish, but I guess that’s why you work in the food industry and I don’t.

:-)

14. JulieVR on 01 Feb 2010 at 8:30 pm #

Katrina – yep, that’s the stuff! This is just a different use for it.

15. Katrina on 02 Feb 2010 at 2:18 am #

Thanks heaps. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I’m so looking forward to trying this. If it’s half as good as your slow cooker lamb leg I know I’m going to love it!

16. Erin on 18 Apr 2010 at 1:06 pm #

I saw you make this on It’s Just Food and heard you talking about it on CBC a couple weeks ago. Sounds awesome and easy. Finally put it on the menu for this week (I’m having a “slow-cooker week”)and can’t wait to taste it. Thanks for the recipe Julie, you make me feel very inspired:)

17. Kelly on 29 Jun 2010 at 4:02 am #

I’ve made this many times and always get rave reviews. Thanks Julie for giving us a new favorite! One question though, can the same recipe be made in the oven instead? Six hours is hard to come by with our busy schedules. If I could make it after work and have it the same evening-that would be great. What do you think?

Thanks!

18. angela on 06 Nov 2010 at 10:23 am #

I saw you make this Thai-style chicken thighs on It’s Just Food and you used curry powder. This recipe does not have curry powder. Which is the correct recipe?

Thanks

19. Sharon on 17 Nov 2010 at 5:40 pm #

I made this today, while my kitchen sink was being replaced and someone was painting in my bathroom. Six chicken thighs, skin and bone-in, browned, into the slow cooker with one half-can fire-roasted tomatoes, two huge digs with a tablespoon into the organic chunky peanut butter jar, two glugs Heinz chili sauce, one red Thai pepper, one tablespoon orange juice concentrate, one tablespoon cider vinegar, two cloves garlic and one-half teaspoon ginger powder.

V.Good. One serving for supper, one to the plumber, one to the painter. (They live here).

20. Sharon on 17 Nov 2010 at 6:58 pm #

Wait. I didn’t put vinegar in. I was going to, headed for the cupboard but made an impulsive u turn to the freezer where I grabbed the frozen orange juice. It made so much sauce for six small thais that I kept a lot aside and will boil, and use for the next six thais.

21. Joylynn on 09 Jun 2012 at 7:49 pm #

you think all natural peanut butter(no sugar added) would turn out the same? or would i need to add some sugar?

22. Katherine on 06 Mar 2014 at 2:15 pm #

Just a quick note reminding people that this dish is not gluten free if using soy sauce. You can use gluten free tamari or coconut aminos.

23. Darlene on 10 Mar 2014 at 3:04 pm #

I made this last week and it was delicious. I used two large boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of the chicken thighs, and I only had half a cup of salsa, but I had a half a cup of light coconut milk in the freezer and so I added that as well. I used 1/4 cup of peanut butter and that was enough. And, I had a bottle of ginger puree that had garlic and curry paste in it and it added some nice spice to the dish. It came out fantastic. Thank you for the recipe!