Penne with Chicken, Ricotta, Spinach & Pesto

Chicken Riccotta Spinach+Penne+2 Penne with Chicken, Ricotta, Spinach & Pesto

Fridge and freezer getting sparse (but then again not really). Please send produce. (W continues to plow through several apples and pears a day, has frozen berries in his smoothies and loves his dried apricots. Please don’t call child services.)

Today’s pasta creation made use of ricotta still left over from shooting last month, half a bag of penne pasta from the near bottomless (or backless? that sounds more like a sexy dress) dry goods cupboard, some frozen chicken breasts and spinach, and some jarred pesto. Penne boiled while chicken cooked in skillet with just a bit of oil, salt and pepper. Penne tossed with a few spoonfuls of pesto and about half a cup of ricotta. Shake of crumbled spinach added to browned chicken in pan until thawed, then dumped over pasta. Peppered. Who needs recipes?

Chicken Ricotta Spinach+Penne Penne with Chicken, Ricotta, Spinach & Pesto

One Year Ago: Brown & Wild Rice and Barley Salad with Chick Peas, and ice cream with Warm Chocolate Peanut Butter Sauce
[print_link]

pixel Penne with Chicken, Ricotta, Spinach & Pesto
button print gry20 Penne with Chicken, Ricotta, Spinach & Pesto

March 12 2009 06:39 pm | leftovers

9 Responses to “Penne with Chicken, Ricotta, Spinach & Pesto”

1. Dana mccauley on 12 Mar 2009 at 6:59 pm #

Nice use of our pantry!

2. Kate on 13 Mar 2009 at 2:59 am #

Talk about contentment coming from simple, every day happenings! Some of my greatest satisfaction in the kitchen comes from using up ingredients to make a delicious meal without a recipe. The chicken fills both needs perfectly!

3. margo on 13 Mar 2009 at 7:17 am #

Julie, I know your “book club” isn’t so much about books, but I got a little book this week because I’m trying to help my husband with weight loss efforts, and had stumbled upon these authors via Janet and Greta Podleski (they were guests on Dr Fitness and the Fat Guy’s radio show). Since your book club is about support, this might just interest some or all folks to some degree. The book is “You Can’t Lose Weight Alone” and they also have an online program / community to help with tracking progress etc. With all that I and no doubt you know about health and weight loss, this sounds extremely sensible and helpful. The key is the power of a partner. I’ll let you explore it if it piques your interest enough; I do recommend it also for any of your readers. Bless you!

4. Manon from Ontario on 13 Mar 2009 at 7:10 am #

Question for any one, how does ricotta taste like, what other cheese is similar to this one?

I tasted gouda cheese for the first time last week!

Thanks,

MFO

5. Cheryl on 13 Mar 2009 at 7:33 am #

I’ve got an assload of baby food in the freezer… but I can’t bring myself to make cream of vegetable soup. Too much like baby food for me. But the little one will no longer eat the purees. Got an idea for broccoli or zucchini? Oh, and minced pork?

6. Melanie on 13 Mar 2009 at 11:28 am #

Hey. my 2 y.o. boy had 1/2 a can of alphagetti plus a few bites of left over chicken breast and a bit of yogurt for lunch… That’s part of my effort at cleaning out the pantry (which is a smashing idea – I’m totally into it!) At least W’s menu sounds healthy!!!

7. terry on 13 Mar 2009 at 2:15 pm #

Julie,..I couldn’t find anything wrong with W’s menu for today. My niece will only eat bananas and corn, as far as fruit and veggies go. Now that is truly heartbreaking. Keep up the good work. :)

8. Sue (London) on 13 Mar 2009 at 4:21 pm #

Julie, when your cupboards & freezer are finally bare… you’re going to have to take out a loan to restock your supplies!

9. Nut-free basil pesto on 30 Jan 2014 at 8:02 am #

[…] Your pesto should keep for about a week sealed in the fridge. I freeze mine in baggies (you could use ice cube trays) and store them for future use. Like when you want to make Dinner With Julie’s delicious Penne with chicken, ricotta, spinach &┬ápesto. […]