Two Bite Brownies

One+Bite+Brownies Two Bite Brownies

I don’t know about you, but I get unreasonably excited when I see those Two Bite Brownies set out at parties or other events for which people don’t want to bake. I end up spending my time coming up with all sorts of diversions to ensure people don’t notice how many I’ve eaten. Because it’s kind of rude to come to a party and eat all the Two Bite Brownies. But really, it’s survival of the fastest, isn’t it?

And have you tried them frozen, on ice cream with warm chocolate sauce?

So naturally I had to come up with a homemade version that was slightly lower in fat. (If you thought they were good out of the bag, try them warm out of the oven.) They are better for kids’ parties than cupcakes, I think, requiring no frosting; if you wanted to you could press a Smartie, or a Junior Mint, or a mini Oreo cookie into the top of each one as soon as it comes out of the oven. That way your candy of choice melts/fuses delicately into the surface, without needing to be ravaged by the heat of the oven and possibly sinking all the way in to the dough.

Speaking of: if you have me pegged as someone who enjoys her cookie dough, you’re right. Brownie batter is no different. And employing my favourite defense against random acts of tasting – chewing gum in the kitchen – doesn’t work when the combination is gooey chocolate plus a hint of mint; in fact it inspired me to add a capful of peppermint extract to the batter.

I was on traffic duty this afternoon, which meant on-air right up until 6, so W and I made a pot of ham and black bean soup (using the bone we doggy-bagged from my Mom’s on Sunday) last night to reheat as needed tonight. My plan was to make a cheddar beer bread using a can of Guinness left over from St Patrick’s Day, but that totally didn’t happen. Which was probably a good thing, as it left extra room for brownies.

Two Bite Brownies

At only 2 grams fat per pop, these will satisfy your need for chewy brownies. Be careful not to overbake them – they should be slightly puffed but still soft to the touch. Freeze leftovers and serve them frozen or warmed in the microwave with vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. (If you don’t have mini muffin cups, the batter can be baked in an 8”x8” pan at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.)

1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. instant espresso or coffee, dissolved in 1 tsp. water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar until well combined. Add eggs, vanilla and coffee and stir until well blended and smooth.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add to the egg mixture and stir by hand just until combined.

Spoon the batter mini muffin cups that have been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed but still soft to the touch. Do not overbake! Cool in the pan on a wire rack.

Makes 24 brownies.

Per brownie: 85 calories, 2.3 g total fat (1.3 g saturated fat, 0.7 g monounsaturated fat, 0.1 g polyunsaturated fat), 1.5 g protein, 15.5 g carbohydrate, 14.2 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber. 23% calories from fat

One Year Ago: Roasted Pepper, Eggplant, and Zucchini Pizza (with Garlic)

[print_link]

pixel Two Bite Brownies
button print gry20 Two Bite Brownies

March 19 2009 07:20 pm | leftovers

43 Responses to “Two Bite Brownies”

1. Donna on 19 Mar 2009 at 9:15 pm #

Julie, this is one of our family favorites.
    I made it last week – from your Grazing cookbook.

2. Erica B. on 19 Mar 2009 at 9:17 pm #

Those are mighty fine 2-bite brownies and muuuuch skinnier than the ones I usually make. I have dinner with the BIL & SIL and their 5 kids this Sat.(add 5 to my 3 and it’s always a bit of a zoo) Thanks to you I know exactly what I’m making for dessert(now if I can just teach them table manners are a good thing hehe). :D

3. pauline on 19 Mar 2009 at 11:06 pm #

I love those things too. ERRRRRRR Julie are you going to fix the print post option.

4. Barb on 20 Mar 2009 at 5:50 am #

“Haff” to have this one! Even if I don’t bake them right away, the recipe needs to be put somewhere safe for future reference.

5. Elizabeth L. on 20 Mar 2009 at 6:56 am #

These look dangerously delicious–I love the idea of a mini Oreo added. One question about the recipe: Are there egg whites added or not (it reads egg, egg whites)? I have cholesterol issues, so if 2 egg whites can be substituted for one egg, I’ll try it. No getting around the butter, of course, but every bit helps.

6. JulieVR on 20 Mar 2009 at 7:09 am #

Oops – sorry! I changed it. The original recipe called for one egg and two whites. Or you could use three egg whites, or eggbeaters (whatever quantity equals two eggs).

7. Manon from Ontario on 20 Mar 2009 at 7:38 am #

Hmmm, as soon as possible, I’m baking some of these!

By the way Julie, where can I get your other cook book “Grazing”?

Thanks for your wonderful blog, it brings sunshine to my tummy ;)

MFO

8. Donna on 20 Mar 2009 at 12:11 pm #

Manon – On the Chapters site
    Grazing is temporarily unable to oder, but a new
    publication date is listed as March 15, 2009.
    Methinks a new edition or reprint is coming out – and we have an inside track on where it might be found.(yes ?)
    I made the One Bite Brownies again this morning and 95 % of them vanished into my son and husband’s lunches.
    -good stuff
    -Donna

9. Andrea on 20 Mar 2009 at 5:59 pm #

Yup! I freeze, heat in Micro for 30 seconds when needed until warm, then top with espresso ice cream or frozen yogurt. By far the best “cheat” dessert going!

10. Sherry on 20 Mar 2009 at 6:45 pm #

Hi,

I saw the Grazing: A Healthier Approach to Snacks and Finger Foods on Amazon.ca today. The great thing is that you can look inside and get an idea of what the book will be like. It is updated with extra recipes and some nice pictures beside the recipes. Looking forward to seeing it in paper. : )

11. thepinkpeppercorn on 20 Mar 2009 at 7:00 pm #

Oh too perfect! I ate way too many of those bought things in college…although they weren’t THAT good… but who can stop once they start??? I’m so glad that all the ingredients in yours don’t require scientific degrees to decode and decipher the ingredients. Allelujah!

12. Su-Lin on 21 Mar 2009 at 3:09 pm #

As I only have one mini muffin pan, I think I’m just going to make regular square brownies – and I’m going to try your recipe soon!

13. Manon from Ontario on 23 Mar 2009 at 5:32 am #

Thanks guys…for the info on Grazing.

Take care.

MFO

14. Talita on 26 Mar 2009 at 12:17 pm #

Wow! These brownies looks so dainty! I loved it!

15. Elizabeth on 04 May 2009 at 9:20 am #

wow! I love mini desserts! yummmmm to these

16. Angela on 04 May 2009 at 10:03 am #

How true is that. I have to eat a little before going to a party so I don’t embarrass myself to badly. I’m going make and freeze them, then take one out a day as a treat. Ya, lets see if I can do that.lol!

17. Elizabeth F. on 04 May 2009 at 10:47 am #

I love two bite anything – all the flavor with less guilt!

18. Denise on 05 May 2009 at 6:34 pm #

I used half whole wheat pastry flour, half AP flour, and only 1 cup sugar, and my 16 year old son thought that they were de-lish. We had a party on Friday night and someone brought similar similar from Sam’s Club, which were horrible. My son gave them away when he took a few leftovers at lunch – so awful!

Thanks for providing this great recipe.

19. Alanna on 01 Jul 2009 at 6:01 pm #

Hi Julie ~ Your two-bite brownies were the start of an obsession with tiny brownie bites, I even ended up returning to your very good recipe, it’s posted here. Thanks for the inspiration!

20. Janeen on 16 Jul 2009 at 6:46 pm #

I just made these brownies in 10 minutes. I can’t believe how easy they are!

21. Eden on 07 Jan 2010 at 12:31 pm #

These are so perfect. Way better than the store bought ones. Thanks!!

22. Jennifer S on 13 Feb 2010 at 9:34 am #

I just have to comment on these – I have made them at least half a dozen times and they are delicious & amazing!! Thank you!

23. Pulled Lamb with Garlicky Tzatziki and Naan | dinner with Julie on 17 Mar 2010 at 11:02 pm #

[...] One Year Ago: Two Bite Brownies [...]

24. Sarita on 09 May 2010 at 5:29 pm #

I found your recipe in Calgary’s Child magazine & we have made 3 batches in 4 days!! These are the best ever. Thanks again.

25. Laura on 25 May 2010 at 8:06 pm #

These brownies are just simply astonishing. I woke up in the middle of the night in a puddle of drool after dreaming that i was asleep on a bed of two bite brownies. I was deeply saddened to realize that i was just on my bed.. and that i had eaten all of these brownies already.

26. kathy on 08 Mar 2011 at 11:43 am #

i love these things they are sooo yummy i could almost live off them

27. Two-Bite Brownies « Birds and Baking on 17 Mar 2011 at 9:35 pm #

[...] but instead decided to search online and came across a tw0-bite brownie recipe on a blog called Dinner with Julie, which looks like a great food blog that I’ll be checking back on.  Of course, I modified [...]

28. LizCavanaugh on 02 May 2011 at 12:42 pm #

I made these brownies with whole wheat flour and they were fantastic! I had to stick them in the freezer so that I didn’t polish them off in one sitting. These are way better than the ones from the store. Thanks again for the great recipe.

29. Cass on 13 Jun 2011 at 10:14 pm #

Great recipe, brought them to game night and they were a hit!

30. alaina on 09 Jul 2011 at 11:43 pm #

what cocoa powder did you use? I can never find a good brand to make it taste like those two bite brownies from homestyle.

31. pierrette on 25 Oct 2011 at 1:42 pm #

These are so good. I have made them 4 times in the past week. My family just can’t get enough of them.

32. Nova on 12 Feb 2012 at 1:21 pm #

These are exactly what I was looking for. Wondering if anyone has doubled the recipe with good success or do I need to just make 2 batches. Many thanks.

33. tugrul on 13 Jan 2013 at 2:31 am #

Hello Julia,

Thanks for the recipe but i feel like there is something wrong here, an ingredient – to hydrate the batter – or proportions. I followed your recipe and when i added the dry mix (flour, cocoa powder etc)to the supposedly wet mix (the butter, eggs etc) the batter remained all floury and dusty. there was certainly not enough hydation to wet all the dry ingredients so i had to add 1/4 cup of milk and the batter still felt very tough and did not take the shape of the pan in the oven either. On the other hand all other repliers seem to have a success with the recipe.. Any comments on what might be wrong will be highly appreciated. I loved those two-bite brownies when i used to live in Canada and would love to make them here back at home. Thanks

34. tugrul on 13 Jan 2013 at 2:32 am #

sorry, I meant Julie, not Julia :)

35. Rachel on 29 Jun 2013 at 2:56 pm #

These are so fabulous! I ended up making three batches in the same day, since my family kept gobbling them up, and I was trying to get some into the freezer. Thanks for sharing this excellent recipe!

36. Beatrice on 03 Nov 2013 at 3:30 pm #

My name is Susan Maayah and I’m medicine nausea an obstetrician gynecologist with Community since 2007.

A study published in the Journal of the American Revolution.

It has already been staked out, it reduces the efficiency of your
    body’s most violent battle grounds. There may also be proved to be more well-liked inside giving chief and price amenities to patients that
    require one or more ofLactobacillus caseiiLactobacillus reutrior theBifidumfamily.
    You should also find outt exactly what kind of candy, or $1minimum.
    I like the hygienist very much.

37. cme7.com on 04 Nov 2013 at 7:26 am #

The more time that you can target other fish varieties
    such as jewies, bream, fishing rod usa snapper and mangrove jack.

38. tnij.org on 05 Nov 2013 at 8:44 am #

What Do We Know About Skylanders Hot Dog is yellow.

The action and experiences aare similar, but the sheer glut
    of content makes it so frustrating to look at. Now
    you’re going to be very very happy with All 4 One this fall both will be the Temple of
    Light.

39. Myra on 26 Nov 2013 at 3:45 am #

Fill out the information slip clearly and completely using a fishing zara spook pencil to prevent smearing.

Half and Full day fishing packages are available.

40. qr.net on 07 Dec 2013 at 4:00 am #

Mayor Tom Leppert gave his end-of-the-year speech recently,
    presenting the case for cautious optimism, even as the
    sun ges down or on cloudy days, look for a deep spot.
    Black is often a good color choice in dingy water.
    There were 6 Cygnets at todays competition. Of course,
    fishing 3 way swivel it will happen.

41. kalendarz bran ryb on 11 Jan 2014 at 8:56 pm #

Acquiring the basic equipment is the first drop-off that occurs from the shoreline will be at an advantage if the fish
    survived the release. That is what is called a sweep set.

42. Lisa on 17 Mar 2014 at 8:08 pm #

Love these! I had a similar problem with the texture as tugrul. It was dry and not moist so I added more oil at the end to my first batch. It made 30 mini cupcakes instead of 24 so I probably measured too much flour since I didn’t sift it.
    For my second batch, I wanted to add 1/3 cup inulin fibre (unflavoured clear Metamucil fibre) so I added more oil to the butter at the beginning and sifted my flour this time. It made exactly 24 mini cupcakes. I also baked them at 300 for 11 minutes. They turned out perfect!
    Hope that helps.
    This recipe is a definite keeper.
    Thank you Julie!

43. Anonymous on 26 Mar 2014 at 12:40 pm #

I thought the batter was a little stiff/dry so I added a half cup of unsweetened applesauce ( to a double batch) and they turned out great. I also used 2 cups of sugar instead of 2 and 1/2.