Slow-cooked Lamb Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potatoes

Lamb+Shepherd%27s+pie Slow cooked Lamb Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potatoes

Remember that lamb I did in the slow cooker? I put the last chunk in a yogurt container and poured all the lovely juices over top, and stuck it in the fridge. (Among a literal forest of yogurt containers filled with leftover lentils and sourdough starter.)

Chopped+Lamb Slow cooked Lamb Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potatoes

It gelled, as meaty juices do, with all the fat evenly hardened on the surface. I plucked it off, chopped the meat and squished the lot into a small baking dish, then sprinkled it with frozen peas (they’ll cook when I bake the pie). This all occurred yesterday, as I was making the lentil-sweet potato thing; while I was at it I boiled up some surplus diced sweet potato, mashed it and spread it over the meat and peas. It felt a little evil-genius, only in a good way. Two dinners in one go.

Lamb+shepherd%27s+pie+ +unbaked Slow cooked Lamb Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potatoes

So tonight all that needed to be done was to pop it in the oven to warm through. I have to admit, it was a little runny. I should have sprinkled the lamb chunks with some flour. But a slotted spoon solved that problem, and it was nonetheless delicious.

W and I spent the time we might have otherwise spent cooking (he’s quite the keener in the kitchen) planting tomato, rosemary and basil seeds to get a head start on our garden. So now all our prime eating space is taken up by a) the old computer (don’t ask), and b) a miniature potted garden. Or more accurately, a bunch of tubs of dirt with Popsicle sticks stuck in, which may or may not actually sprout into anything.

One Year Ago: Roast Ham, Baked Mac & Cheese, Bean Salad, Orange Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Roasted Asparagus, and Strawberry Shortcakes

[print_link]

pixel Slow cooked Lamb Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potatoes
button print gry20 Slow cooked Lamb Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potatoes

April 09 2009 09:56 pm | lamb

12 Responses to “Slow-cooked Lamb Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potatoes”

1. Morgan on 10 Apr 2009 at 6:21 am #

Mmm…that looks delicious! I love how you captured the steam coming off of the sweet potatoes!

2. Kate on 10 Apr 2009 at 10:55 am #

Can spring be that far off?
    Lamb and potting soil and Popsicle sticks!
    Ya-hoo!

3. Avery on 10 Apr 2009 at 5:51 pm #

We have the beginnings of tulips poking through in our front yard! However, everything will probably be killed by that last frost we usually get in Calgary, just when we think its all over and done with. I had to laugh a little at the coincidence when I saw your post for lamb shephard’s pie; Ruby is trying lamb for the first time this week… I made a lamb-stew of sorts with lamb, carrots, and a little onion, then pureed it and froze it into the requisite ice cube tray for easy portions. She had it yesterday mixed with sweet potato! Her own Baby Shephard’s Pie!!

4. Vivian on 10 Apr 2009 at 10:14 pm #

So glad you are introducing W to the miracle of seed-starting! One of the most uplifting things we can do as humans. Magic! My wee things are already too leggy but I just couldn’t help getting going early! As Lois Hole always said, “If you plant early, you may lose some, but if the weather is kind, you are so much ahead of the game”.

5. Vivian on 10 Apr 2009 at 10:16 pm #

P.S. Dollar Store popsicle sticks are the best for plant tags!!

6. Laurene on 10 Apr 2009 at 10:37 pm #

Haha! Our kitchen table is 1/3 covered with little plastic containers holding flower & veggie seeds too! There’s hardly any room to even eat on. But I figure in 2 weeks almost everything will be able to go into the ground. Our last frost date is around May 1 here.

7. Manon from Ontario on 14 Apr 2009 at 3:43 am #

Well Julie, my father-in-law, the garden specialist, has been planting “his” seeds for over a month now. He has 3 green houses, and one little hot house, where he first plants everything before transferring to the green houses.
    His garden is impeccable, I mean it, no weeds EVER!!!
    He actually sings as he works in it. My husband’s family name is well known for having the green thumbs.
    My husband worked so hard in the garden and green houses as a child, that he does not want a vegetable garden, however, we did plant 500 apple trees in the last 10 years!

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you :)

Have a great garden.

MFO

8. Stacey Torres on 01 Sep 2009 at 8:04 am #

Just love this site; love the lamb pie recipe the most. May please I add it to my blog and give you credit?

Enjoy your week, Stacey T.

9. Julie on 01 Sep 2009 at 8:07 am #

But of course! Glad you like it!

10. lola kenedy on 24 Apr 2011 at 6:40 pm #

where is the recipe????????

11. JulieVR on 24 Apr 2011 at 7:03 pm #

Lola – I described how I made it above – that’s the recipe!

12. luis on 07 Sep 2011 at 1:06 am #

eres lolakenedy@yahoo.es……… argentina de cordoba….yo queria referirte algo