Mexican Party Food (including Jalapeño Poppers)

Jalapeno+Poppers Mexican Party Food (including Jalapeño Poppers)

A surprise birthday party tonight for the wife of a friend, and I cooked. Mexican theme. Chili pulled pork (in the CrockPot) straight up and turned into mini pizzas on little pitas. Stuffed jalapeño poppers, chili-lime peanuts, beef empanadas (little half-moon pastries), quesadillas with beans and queso fresco, and angel food cake with berries and cream. And something I have been waiting for an excuse to make for a very long time – homemade churros. If you’ve only ever had them at Costco, the homemade version, made with a simple choux pastry piped into hot canola oil using the large star tip of a pastry bag and then doused while warm in cinnamon sugar, is to the Costco ones what, I don’t know, the very best chocolate chip cookies are to a generic packaged kind.

I’d love to tell you about them, but there will be more tomorrow morning at our Easter egg hunt, so I’ll save it. And seeing as it’s almost midnight, I can hardly keep my eyes open and I lost count of how many people (with their kids) are coming for brunch tomorrow, and I’m still not really sure what I’m making except that I missed the boat on my orange-chocolate hot crossed buns, I’m going to bed.

But if you are a fan of jalapeños and cheese (I have never been a fan of jalapeños, but I’ve been recently converted) these are a fun party food.

Jalapeño Poppers

6 good-sized fresh jalapeño peppers
1/2 – 8 oz. (250 g) pkg. light cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup grated old cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 tsp. ground cumin (optional)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
1-1 1/2 cups Panko (crunchy Japanese breadcrumbs), or fine dry breadcrumbs

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes. (Rubber gloves are never a bad idea.)

In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, cheddar and cumin. Stuff the jalapeño halves with the cheese mixture – they will be overflowing! That’s OK. When I do this, I take a bit of cheese in my hand and roll it into a rough cylinder, then press it into the pepper.

Get three shallow dishes. In one, beat the eggs with a fork. In another, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In the third put the Panko or breadcrumbs.

One at a time, dredge the jalapeños in flour, then in the beaten egg, and then into the crumbs, pressing to coat well. Place the coated peppers, cut side up, on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.

Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Serve immediately. Makes 12 poppers.

Per popper: 87 calories, 3.6 g total fat (1.7 g saturated fat, 1.2 g monounsaturated fat, 0.3 g polyunsaturated fat), 4 g protein, 9.5 g carbohydrate, 43.2 mg cholesterol, 0.5 g fiber. 37% calories from fat

One Year Ago: Curried Lentil & Sweet Potato Soup and Chipotle Peanut Pork Chili

pixel Mexican Party Food (including Jalapeño Poppers)
button print gry20 Mexican Party Food (including Jalapeño Poppers)

April 11 2009 10:12 pm | appetizers

8 Responses to “Mexican Party Food (including Jalapeño Poppers)”

1. ladyloo on 12 Apr 2009 at 1:34 am #

I have made something similar to these for a while now, except that I then wrap them in bacon. Not really Mexican, but oh, so delicious.

2. Natalie (Michigan) on 12 Apr 2009 at 10:59 am #

Totally off subject…… your no-knead bread is SO GOOD with this spread: 15 oz ricotta, chives (from garden!) sprinkled with salt, pepper and 2 tbsp olive oil. (spread recipe was in “real simple” this issue) SO good with the bread.

3. Erica B. on 12 Apr 2009 at 11:43 am #

I’ve made the bacon wrapped jalapenos (had to make them after reading: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/07/bacon-wrapped_j/ )and while I like them I prefer the ones with just cheese filling. I usually make a few dozen and prep the peppers the night before, it breaks up the work.

When you’ve recovered from your brunch (we hosted one today too and expect dinner guests at 4:00pm) I’d love a good empanada recipe (or are the small ones called empanaditas??). When A was 1&1/2 we had an amazing dayhome provider who’s from Chile. Her Dad who recently emigrated made us empanaditas from scratch. I’d love to learn how to make them myself.

4. sharon in oregon on 12 Apr 2009 at 7:27 pm #

My brother makes these for his tavern, using the bacon wrapped peppers with cheese inside. He sells them for a buck a piece and sometimes goes through 200 to 300 a week. They are yummy!

5. lovetocook on 12 Apr 2009 at 8:23 pm #

Try these next:

AFTERBURNERS

12 shrimp, peeled
    12 jalapenos, slit seeded and membranes removed
    6 slices of bacon

Place one shrimp in each jalapeno. Wrap with 1/2 slice bacon and secure with a toothpick. Broil or grill turning a few times, 6 or 7 minutes until bacon is crisp and shrimp is cooked.

6. Hugging the Coast on 28 May 2009 at 6:30 pm #

These look great and sound like a lot of fun to make too.

7. Roberta on 06 Feb 2011 at 11:45 am #

I’ve tryed this recipe yesterday and it was soooo good!! so thaks ;-)

8. 15 Ideas for Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipes on 29 Dec 2013 at 10:14 pm #

[…] guacamole if you have it, salsa, cheese.  Roll it up and you’ve got a burrito! Serve with a Jalapeno Popper on the […]