Romesco Dip

Romesco+Dip Romesco Dip

Spoke at a retired teacher’s convention today, and demoed, among other things, a high-reward-for-minimal-effort romesco dip. Twice. Plus made a few batches to sample out. As always, I ended up with too much. As food goes, it’s a good thing to have too much of.

Romesco is made from roasted red peppers, toasted almonds, garlic, olive oil and toasted bread. (Yes, toast – you tear it up and blend it in, and it adds body and bulk to the dip without adding much in the way of fat and calories. I mean yes bread has calories, but it’s better than adding a cup of sour cream or mayo.)

It’s fantastic, intensely flavoured stuff, and makes a great substitute for mayo on sandwiches (especially roast chicken, salami or roasted/grilled veg sandwiches) or dip for shrimp with their tails. Perhaps its best feature is its ability to improve with age – a little like Leonardo DiCaprio – so you can do up a batch to dip into for a week or so, or make well in advance of a party. On one of my favourite nights a bunch of us sat outside in lawn chairs until almost dawn, relighting candles as they burned down, sipping bubbly moscato and beer and scooping up great garlicky gobs of romesco with pitas, which we had grilled until char-marked and crisp, then broken into pieces. We all had garlic burps for two days.

Tonight we ate it far more unceremoniously in front of the news with leftover baguette, which having been sliced early this afternoon had gotten a little leathery, so I brushed the pieces with oil and toasted them in the oven to revive them a little and make them easier on the teeth. Also: asparagus spears straight from the fridge and thawed tail-on shrimp from the freezer.

W asked for a raisin bran muffin and Cheerios. He got them.

Romesco Dip

All the amounts here are approximate – it’s a dip, so feel free to wing it.

1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, or half almonds and half pine nuts
1 garlic clove, peeled
2 thick slices French bread, toasted (or 3 if you’re using a baguette)
2 red peppers, roasted
1-2 Tbsp. red wine, sherry or balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. paprika
salt to taste
2-6 Tbsp. olive or canola oil

Toast almonds and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 3 minutes, until the almonds are pale golden and fragrant. Transfer to a food processor. Tear the bread into chunks into the food processor. Pulse until the bread and nuts turn to crumbs.

Add the red peppers, vinegar, paprika and salt and whiz until well blended. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and process until the mixture has the consistency of thick mayonnaise, scraping down the sides of the bowl.

Serve with pitas, slices of crusty baguette, cooked tail-on shrimp, naan or veggies.

Makes about 1 cup.

Per tablespoon: 42 calories, 3 g total fat (0.4 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 0.5 g polyunsaturated fat), 1 g protein, 3.4 g carbohydrate, 0 mg cholesterol, 0.6 g fiber. 61% calories from fat

One Year Ago: Curried Ginger Carrot Soup

[print_link]

pixel Romesco Dip
button print gry20 Romesco Dip

April 21 2009 08:10 pm | appetizers

33 Responses to “Romesco Dip”

1. thepinkpeppercorn on 21 Apr 2009 at 8:32 pm #

I LOVE romesco!!!!!!

2. Cheryl on 21 Apr 2009 at 8:44 pm #

I love making it a bit thinner, almost sauce-like and serving with fish.

3. JulieVR on 21 Apr 2009 at 8:49 pm #

Yes! Or roast chicken. Yum.

4. Erica B. on 21 Apr 2009 at 9:15 pm #

I think your Romesco dip was the second recipe I made when I first got Grazing last year…the first were the Whole Wheat Raspberry Scones – the skinnier and more fabulous fresh from the oven version of those oh-so-delish ones from Starbucks.

5. sara on 21 Apr 2009 at 11:47 pm #

This looks FANTASTIC! I have to make it…I love things like this that are easy to make but add a ton of flavor.

6. michelle on 22 Apr 2009 at 12:48 am #

I’ve never had Romesco- it looks really yummy! I’m looking for a dip to serve with Naan- I might try this!

7. Kevin on 22 Apr 2009 at 2:36 am #

I have been wanting to try a romesco sauce. It looks so good. What an amazing colour!

8. Carolyn on 22 Apr 2009 at 2:58 am #

I can’t wait to make this!
    I baked the maple walnut cookies last night (letting the dough sit for approx 30 hours). I added some candied (in maple syrup) bacon. They are great!

9. Kate on 22 Apr 2009 at 3:11 am #

Your timing is a God send. My husband went to the grocer yesterday to pick up red peppers that were on sale. I thought some to dip into hummus, some to caramelize in pepperonata, and a few to stash in the freezer. I thought 4 -5 lbs. would be fine. He came home with over 13 lbs.! Guess what I’ll be trying? Thanks, Julie :)

10. Monique on 22 Apr 2009 at 3:46 am #

Sounds great..thanks again.

11. Carrie on 22 Apr 2009 at 6:58 am #

I’ve never had romesco, but this looks fabulous! I’m definitely going to try it soon!

12. Andrea on 22 Apr 2009 at 9:35 am #

YUM (to the dip and the reference to Leo!).

13. mrsjaxies on 22 Apr 2009 at 9:45 am #

OH MY GOODNESS. i had some extra roasted peppers that needed to be used up, and i made this–it is FABULOUS. i’m eating it right now as a spread on a sandwich with chicken and feta. it’s ridiculous how tasty it is.

14. robyn on 22 Apr 2009 at 10:04 am #

I looove the colour of this! I made a roasted red pepper and feta dip that is out of this world, but the colour isn’t nearly as pretty! I’ll have to try this. I guess you could use orange peppers too for a stunning colour!

15. Hillary on 22 Apr 2009 at 12:42 pm #

I didn’t know that’s how romesco dip was made. Great recipe!

16. Elizabeth L. on 22 Apr 2009 at 2:58 pm #

I first tried making Romesco sauce from a great book called “Cooking for Mr. Latte” by Amanda Hesser, a New York food writer. Hers was far more complicated, but the end result looked just the same. She said in the book that after her first bite (on a beach in Spain)”her life improved measurably”. I agree.

17. Sue on 22 Apr 2009 at 3:16 pm #

Hi Julie,
    Your butter chicken recipe looked so good that I bought the ingredients last night and prepped it for the crock pot to be cooked all day today while I was at work. Looks and smells great,can’t wait to try it, but I am curious about the curry paste. I bought some green curry paste to try (something different for me!), but had to decide between green and red curry paste. What is the difference?

18. deeba on 22 Apr 2009 at 8:39 pm #

I wanted to make this the minute I saw it on Tastespotting…& guess what…I DID!! I had day old focaccia waiting to be used, & charred red bell peppers too. It’s fantastic, & I can eat it by the spoonful! Thank you

19. Monique on 26 Apr 2009 at 5:55 am #

We had it yesterday..it disappeared in a heartbeat!

20. Becky and the Beanstock on 28 Apr 2009 at 8:40 am #

I actually made this very recipe for a dinner party two Saturdays ago — and people were begging to take the leftovers home. It’s more labor intensive than the ingredient list suggests, but it’s so worth it — and I always make up a bunch of it (still ended up with very little after everyone else absconded with it. Ah well).

21. Easier Than Falling Off a Log » Romesco Dip on 07 May 2009 at 7:19 pm #

[…] got this recipe from Dinner With Julie, and barely altered it at all. The only alteration I had made was a mistake, actually. No one […]

22. deeba on 10 May 2009 at 7:17 pm #

Made the dip, loved it to the last bit left in the bowl. Thank you for posting it…http://www.passionateaboutbaking.com/2009/05/chipotle-garlic-focaccia-romesco-dip.html
    Cheers

23. SuperFood Reviews » CHIPOTLE GARLIC FOCACCIA & ROMESCO DIP on 15 Oct 2009 at 4:59 pm #

[…] really GOOD lookingRomesco take uponTastespotting (or was it FoodGawker), I followed the diptoDinner WithJulie’s.Imagine my delight, I had all the ingredientson hand, even found 2 roasted red bell peppers sitting […]

24. Curried Chick Peas & Chard with Poached Eggs | dinner with Julie on 27 Feb 2010 at 11:40 pm #

[…] a talk to a group of anesthesia residents, who were subjected to listening to me babble and make romesco dip and bean cookies for an hour or […]

25. Fab Frugal Food » Romesco Soup on 24 Mar 2010 at 2:06 pm #

[…] Turkey & Avocado Sandwich with Romesco Sauce from Bitchin’ Camaro (love the name!) Romesco Dip from Dinner with […]

26. Forget the oven. Slip into some dip instead. « Feast: Food + Entertaining on 02 Jun 2010 at 9:19 am #

[…] to have a great night on the patio? Make this garlicky romesco dip from Dinner with Julie for your very best friends. It reeks of pungent garlic and is ripe with bold […]

27. Celine Alberti on 04 May 2011 at 12:14 am #

Beautiful blog you’ve made here.. Truly, it’s quite a feat! Keep up the good work ^_^

28. Loren on 28 May 2011 at 5:03 pm #

yes thank :) to post can I lern

29. pramod on 29 Jul 2011 at 8:18 am #

How to assess how to poutlips plumpers and how to buy how to lips plumpers online.How to get the best, most dramatic natural lip enlargement can be achieved

check <a hef="http://www.poutliplumper.com/ (target: poutliplumper)

30. Fifty is the New Fifty - Too hot to cook! Part II on 23 Aug 2011 at 7:51 pm #

[…] Tomato, Basil, and Goat Cheese Spread Romesco Dip Deviled Egg Spread Feta Cheese Spread Cauliflower Garbanzo Bean Spread Beet Hummus Asian Adzuki […]

31. Quiche on 11 Feb 2012 at 6:36 pm #

I made this tonight, and it was amazing! I don’t think I’ll be putting mayo on my sandwiches anymore. :) Thanks!

32. nasreen on 14 Sep 2012 at 2:08 pm #

nice recipes ,tnx for sharing with us.

33. Fifty is the New Fifty | Too hot to cook! Part II on 09 Apr 2013 at 8:38 am #