Lemony Parsley Hummus (Picnic on the Bed)

Picnic+on+the+bed Lemony Parsley Hummus (Picnic on the Bed)

In retrospect, today’s post would have been ideal for Earth Day. Almost like I planned it: transformation of leftovers, salvation of produce before it wound up in the compost, nothing packaged, minimal dish/energy use, vegan even.

So today I’m blasting around the house trying to get ready to leave for Tofino tomorrow morning (and I’m bringing you with me! Yes, I remember my promise of a daily post this month), which included going through the fridge to use up whatever I know Mike will just let die. (It’s just W and I going, Mike’s going to be Home Alone.) In the crisper, two big bunches of parsley. The curly stuff, which I’m not as fond of as the Italian stuff. They likely cost around 70 cents each, but dammit I’m not going to let them go into the compost untouched. So as I’ve been known to do, I choreographed lunch and dinner around a bunch of wilting herbs, rather than something more substantial.

But it’s at these times I tend to try things I might not otherwise. I cooked a handful each of barley and lentils (they cook at the same time – 40 minutes – so you can just boil them together in a pot, drain them and voila), dressed them with olive oil and balsamic and a pinch of sugar and tore in one of the bunches. Then I went to epicurious.com and typed in “PARSLEY” in an attempt to jolt my imagination.

Of course lots came up, one being brilliant green mashed potatoes made with parsley oil. Now this, oh best beloved, is something I would never seek to make under normal circumstances. But I thought I could easily blitz the parsley with some oil and it would at least keep until I got home and figured out what to use it for. Vinaigrette, hummus, roast chicken-anything, really.

Parsley+in+Cuisinart Lemony Parsley Hummus (Picnic on the Bed)

So you whirl about equal parts herbs and oil (the recipe called for chives too, which are just poking through the ground) in a food processor, then pour it through a sieve, pressing on the solids and then discarding them. It did make a lovely shamrock-coloured oil (which W poured milk into as I photographed the sludge), but I couldn’t bring myself to toss the bulk of the oily parsley mulch. And so I turned it into hummus.

Green+sludge Lemony Parsley Hummus (Picnic on the Bed)

WOW. With a particularly juicy lemon, it’s an incredibly fresh tasting hummus, and a great way to get your greens. You could of course process the parsley first with a whack of oil and then strain it off to draw out some of the green stuff and get yourself some herby oil; otherwise just blend it right in.

Tomorrow I’ll be getting on the plane with a carry-on full of dip, which as everyone knows, is not liquid nor gel. (Romesco and this stuff. I’m sure we’ll be able to locate some pitas in Nanaimo.)

Speaking of parsley, so much for the head-start on my home-grown stuff (for those of you on the bloomin’ west coast who don’t believe it was blizzarding here last night) – there was twice as much piled up this morning.

Snowy+pots Lemony Parsley Hummus (Picnic on the Bed)

At dinnertime W requested a picnic. On our bed. So we walked through the kitchen piling things on a cookie sheet to carry upstairs: the lentil-barley-parsley stuff, lemony parsley hummus, a couple whole wheat pitas, a few bananas, a whole wheat bagel, and a bag of pistachios. And we ate our picnic inside, since there was so much snow outside. I may have to change our sheets before I go to bed.

See you in Tofino!

Parsley+Hummus Lemony Parsley Hummus (Picnic on the Bed)

Lemony Parsley Hummus

1 small bunch of parsley (curly or Italian), chopped (leave the stems out)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 19 oz. (540 mL) can chick peas, drained
juice of 1 lemon
1 garlic clove (or 1 head roasted garlic)
2-3 tsp. sesame oil
pinch salt

In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the parsley and olive oil until you get a rough sludge. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until as smooth as you like it; taste and adjust ingredients to suit your taste. (Even better the next day.) Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

One Year Ago: Pocket Dogs

[print_link]

pixel Lemony Parsley Hummus (Picnic on the Bed)
button print gry20 Lemony Parsley Hummus (Picnic on the Bed)

April 23 2009 07:00 pm | appetizers and vegetarian

27 Responses to “Lemony Parsley Hummus (Picnic on the Bed)”

1. Juno on 24 Apr 2009 at 1:03 am #

Adding parsley is a wonderful idea – thank you! I’m going to make this this weekend.

2. Monique on 24 Apr 2009 at 3:48 am #

I love the idea of parsley..so much prettier!

3. Carolyn on 24 Apr 2009 at 4:55 am #

Thanks for bringing us along with you!

4. Kate on 24 Apr 2009 at 4:55 am #

Your pup looks like he is interested in being vegan for earth day too!

5. Fiona on 24 Apr 2009 at 6:01 am #

Aw, I’m loving Lou’s nose in that picture. I miss having to fight a dog snout for every bite.

6. Barb on 24 Apr 2009 at 6:05 am #

Hummus itself looks so wall paper pasty. Parsley is an excellent add in. Have a wonderful trip. You chose a great time to get away. Things should be straightened out by the time you get back.

7. Annalise on 24 Apr 2009 at 7:07 am #

That’s great that you’re on your way to Tofino-I’m actually there right now! It’s fantastically beautiful, but I will confess that one of the things I am looking forward to the most is trying the Fish Tacos at SoBo’s that you talked about the last time you were in Tofino! Have a great trip!

8. Manon From Ontario on 24 Apr 2009 at 7:07 am #

Good day Julie,

Love to see Lou’s face again, what a beauty!
    Great idea, a picnic, good for W.

Oh my gosh, snow on my B-day in Calgary, now that sucks…but I’m grateful I was here in Ontario :)

Have a great weekend :)

MFO

9. Melissa@ For the Love of Health on 24 Apr 2009 at 7:32 am #

You take AMAZING pictures of food! :-)

10. Jojo on 24 Apr 2009 at 9:26 am #

I am hoping that this trip to Tofino might be the one when you are able to pry out – er, beg and plead – the recipe for the Key LIme Pie that sounded so wonderful on your previous trip ……………..

11. Cheryl T. on 24 Apr 2009 at 12:36 pm #

I LOVE that picture of your snow-encrusted parsley plants. I’d love that pic on a Christmas card!

12. Anonymous on 24 Apr 2009 at 3:44 pm #

You’re an awesome and fun mom, Julie!

13. Jan Yip on 24 Apr 2009 at 3:44 pm #

You’re an awesome and fun mom, Julie!

14. Theresa on 24 Apr 2009 at 8:55 pm #

What Kate said!!! I laughed when I saw Lou’s eyes

15. Vivian on 25 Apr 2009 at 7:38 am #

Just curious. What became of the oil/milk mixture courtesy of W? Could it be the base of a parsley mayo? I would hate to have had to throw it out. (Little monkey W!)

16. JulieVR on 25 Apr 2009 at 4:57 pm #

Oooh yes, I was thinking the same! (But calling it aioli-it sounds so much fancier that way.) I poured it into a jar and stuck it in the freezer, actually. Of course oil won’t freeze, but it will keep it cold enough that the milk in there won’t go bad over 10 days!

17. Vivian on 25 Apr 2009 at 6:21 pm #

Hallelujah and Amen! (Or should that be ‘aioli’ and Amen?!) It would have been such a waste to lose that precious flavoured oil, so I await a future post using the frozen remnants. I SO envy you walking Long Beach…a truly MAGICAL place! I know you will make time for it.

18. FoodFreak on 29 Apr 2009 at 3:27 am #

Grünes Hummus, beinahe…

Hummus gehört zu den Dingen die ich immer wieder gern esse, und so hat mich das wunderschön leuchtend grüne Lemon Parsley Hummus, das ich bei dinner with Julie entdeckt habe, auch sofort angelacht. Aber eine grosse Menge Petersilienöl wollte ich eb…

19. White On Rice Couple on 03 Aug 2009 at 11:09 pm #

Hi Julie! Wow, another wonderful recipe from your amazing skills! We just love hummus and your wonderful addition of parsley is something we must try very soon.
    The mashed potatoes with parsley oil is making us sooooo hungry.

20. Foodfreak » Grünes Hummus, beinahe on 26 Dec 2009 at 5:01 am #

[...] Dingen die ich immer wieder gern esse, und so hat mich das wunderschön leuchtend grüne Lemon Parsley Hummus, das ich bei dinner with Julie entdeckt habe, auch sofort angelacht. Aber eine grosse Menge Petersilienöl wollte ich [...]

21. The Hungry Teacher on 09 Jan 2010 at 5:22 pm #

Just made this last night! So delicious!!!!! Thanks for a great recipe!!

22. Lemon Parsley Hummus and Pita Chips « The Hungry Teacher on 09 Jan 2010 at 6:35 pm #

[...] Lemon Parsley Hummus recipe from Dinner with Julie [...]

23. Late Summer Picnic « Mismatchérie on 23 Aug 2010 at 9:10 am #

[...] recipe by Vegalicious Farmer’s Market Crudité photo from CookThink Lemony Parsley Hummus by Dinner with Julie Watermelon, Mint and Feta Salad from ayngelina on Flickr Homemade Pop Tarts with recipes for [...]

24. Kiwi on 11 Aug 2012 at 2:09 am #

I have made this recipe twice now – it is SOOOOOO delicious! Last time I had plenty left over from a dinner, but I ate the rest myself in one go!! So yummy! Thanks!!!

25. DebLC on 07 Oct 2012 at 1:08 pm #

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I just found it and made it with almost the last of my parsley from the garden – fantastic! Having it in a wrap with avacado & alfalfa sprouts and a little extra sesame oil drizzled on. Delicious!

26. Fresh Cuts: Italian Flat Leaf Parsley - Minnesota Locavore Minnesota Locavore on 21 Jun 2013 at 6:35 am #

[...] red potatoes, why not add parsley to other sides in the same garlicky, buttery, parsley goodness? Parsley Hummus – Dinner with Julie – Add a big bunch of parsley into the food processor with cooked chickpeas, garlic and olive [...]

27. Lemon Parsley Hummus and Pita Chips | The Hungry Teacher on 15 Jul 2014 at 4:30 pm #

[…] Lemon Parsley Hummus recipe from Dinner with Julie […]