Burgers at Rocky’s Burger Bus and Edamame

Edamame Burgers at Rockys Burger Bus and Edamame

Can’t seem to quit the bread. Do you think if I strapped a bun to my arm it would work like a patch? (Yes, I twittered that yesterday.)

We kind of missed dinner tonight, having been lured to Rocky’s Burger Bus at around 2:30 this afternoon. (But listen, there was no one lined up! It’s like when you drive past a Tim Horton’s, and there’s no one in the drive-thru, so you have to go through and get a coffee just because you can.) Rocky’s is the old red transit bus half-wedged into the ground just behind Blackfoot Trail, which Jane and Michael Stern wrote about in Gourmet, and who make their burgers using actual Alberta beef and shape them gently by hand, so that they are tender and juicy and about as thick as they are wide. (Don’t order a double burger. Just don’t.) And the fries – if I am going to eat fries, I eat these. And DJs fruit and veg market, with whom they share a parking lot, is now open. (So you can ballast the burger and fries with loads of fresh fruit and veg.) We always share, to get our fix without downing an entire burger and order of fries each. And now I have to fess up that I went because there are at least two witnesses out there, who work at the Food Bank, where I stopped post-bus with mustard AND ketchup dripped down my front.

Rocky%27s+Burger+Bus Burgers at Rockys Burger Bus and Edamame

Later in the afternoon I was feeling a little low in the vegetable-fiber-vitamin department, so steamed up some edamame from the freezer. I’m never that inspired to make the stuff – it always looks freezer burnt – but it never is and I always enjoy it when I do. Edamame is the term for young fresh (or frozen) soybeans in their pods, which are easily steamed in about half an inch of water for a few minutes, then thrown into a wide dish, sprinkled with coarse salt, and eaten by half squeezing, half pulling with your teeth sort of like you do with artichoke leaves to get the beans out. (And as you do, you get the salt from the outer pod, which gets tossed.) Soybeans are legumes, and so as such a great source of fiber, protein, and other good stuff. (They also make a pretty fab hummusy sort of dip with parsley, walnuts and garlic.)

At dinnertime I strapped W into the car with a berry-banana smoothie, promised him a play at the park and we drove around the northwest delivering sourdough starter to some of those who were still waiting for their own specimens. My timing was slightly off, and I hadn’t counted on rush hour. Fortunately, my friend Tasha had recently dropped off a copy of her very first children’s CD, Big Bad Bantam Rooster, which is being pressed now (and will hopefully be finished by the time she appears at Children’s Festival next week), and so we popped it in and cranked it up. Tasha is a brilliant musician (not only did she write the music and lyrics of all 18 songs on the CD, she sings lead vocals and harmonies, plays guitar, piano, banjo, accordion, metallophone -whatever that is-, percussion, bells and whistles. She’s what you might call talented.

And even though it’s for kids, it’s a CD I actually find myself listening to when I’m alone; it’s not the kind of music that makes me want to throw myself out of a moving car. (W put this to the test tonight, when he decided Big Bad Bantam Rooster and Yawn and Stretch were his favourite songs and we listened to them 85 and 47 times in a row respectively, give or take.)

Problem is, I can’t stop singing to it. You know how when you sing along with a CD you sound just like the person actually singing? When I was a kid and we played ABBA on a regular basis (I was always Agnetha, being blonde and all) I was convinced I was some sort of child prodigy, with a voice exactly like both Agnetha and Anni-Frid. And wow, I wasn’t even ten, and didn’t even have to try! (I still know all the lyrics to most ABBA songs. Try me.) I had a haircut just like Agnetha, and wore those twisted headbands with the little thread of gold running through, sitting just underneath my curling-ironed, parted-in-the-middle bangs. My sisters and I put on a little performance for my Grandparents once, which included a rousing version of Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight). And then one day I recorded myself on one of those elementary-school-issue black tape decks – Take a Chance on Me, I Do I Do I Do I Do I Do, Waterloo – and then played it back. And you know, someone must have snuck in and taped over my singing, or the tape recorder was terribly broken, because it didn’t reflect my talent at all.

(I so want this poster for my bedroom wall. Wouldn’t it make a great ad for Reynold’s Wrap?)

So tonight as we drove I kept on singing along to Tasha’s CD, and every time I did, W would yell from the back seat “No Mommy! NO! STOP SINGING!”. And every time we started the song over again he would remind me to PLEASE NOT SING. Mommy, you just CAN’T SING! And I know he meant he just didn’t want me to ruin it for him by singing over Tasha’s well-honed voice, but really, he’s right – I can’t sing. So I guess it’s good that I have friends who can.

One Year Ago: Sweet Potato Cake

pixel Burgers at Rockys Burger Bus and Edamame
button print gry20 Burgers at Rockys Burger Bus and Edamame

May 13 2009 08:59 pm | appetizers and beans and eating out and snacks

27 Responses to “Burgers at Rocky’s Burger Bus and Edamame”

1. Anonymous on 13 May 2009 at 9:19 pm #

Hi Julie,

So happy to hear your child also begs you not to sing! At two years old my daughter would yell out ‘don’t sing Mommy’! I was sure my older kids had trained her to say that as they always said it too. My son emphasized how truly bad my singing is since he’d not said a thing to her.

I think they should be happy I sing. Don’t you?
    Rose

2. Carolyn on 14 May 2009 at 3:16 am #

LOL! Me, too! Abba’s now banned from the car by my daughter lest I sing! Actually I’m banned from singing everything!

3. Cheryl on 14 May 2009 at 4:34 am #

So driving in the car with W is the same as The Monster. Hmm, and they both prefer to be naked? We listen to The Ting Tings all the friggen’ time right now. i liked it at first…
    I do the same with with edamame. It sits in their forever until I decide to cook it, but we all love it. Makes no sense.

4. Kate on 14 May 2009 at 5:00 am #

I’ve eaten edamame, but never cooked it. Every time I go to buy it at the grocer, it does look all freezer burnt and I don’t want to waste my money. Nice to know that is a typical look. I’ll try it next time. Thanks for the visual lesson.

5. Manon from Ontario on 14 May 2009 at 5:49 am #

Julie you are sooooo funny!
    My kids always asked me to stop singing, hmm wonder why?

That’s why I love kareoke, we had a blast the first Xmas we got it, (for them)…

You take very good photos, every thing looks great, all the time.

Have a great day.

MFO

6. Susan on 14 May 2009 at 5:58 am #

Such an appropriate song for a bunch of pre-teen girls to sing to their grandparents – I’m sure they were very impressed! I guess it could have been worse…a few decades later it might have been The Divinyls singing I Touch Myself. I wonder what our kids will be performing in a few years…

As always, thanks for the great blog. Will seek out the frozen edamame soon! And maybe Rocky’s as well!!

7. Barb on 14 May 2009 at 6:04 am #

Ah yes, singing along while thinking your sound blends right in! I used to love to sing and I wasn’t all that bad but I have become severly out of practice and now can’t carry a tune at all. I heard myself sing Happy Birthday for a young niece a few years back and was shocked and embarrased at how awful I was. Use it or lose it people!

8. JulieVR on 14 May 2009 at 6:08 am #

Pre-teen – try between 5 and 10 (ish!) I’m quite sure my Mom tried to hush us up and switch to something Raffi…

9. Melissa@ For the Love of Health on 14 May 2009 at 6:35 am #

I am not a true burger fan but that definitely sounds like I burger I can sink my teeth into. :-)
    I get the whole no line thing- especially with Tim Horton’s :-)

Have a great day!

10. robyn on 14 May 2009 at 8:04 am #

I LOVE edamame! I heavily salt the water instead of salting the finished product. The salt gets in there! So yummy!

I can totally picture you in the headband! Hahha!

11. rea on 14 May 2009 at 10:14 am #

julie, anyone. any recommendation on a hand held blender/wand? i’m about to invest in one. tired of transferring stuff between the food processor and pot and dripping all over, etc. etc.

thanks.

12. robyn on 14 May 2009 at 11:02 am #

Rea – I got mine at the Superstore for $20, and it’s lasted 3 years so far. No complaints! It’s their own brand I think….I don’t remember, but I can check when I get home!

13. mmac on 14 May 2009 at 12:06 pm #

Rea — glad you asked. I’m ready to invest on one too and have no idea what one needs to pay to get good value and performance. I’ve seen some that look like way more money than they should be.

14. Erica B. on 14 May 2009 at 1:38 pm #

My 2 cents Re immersion/stick blenders: I had my Braun for 15+ years til I dropped it in a sink full of water one too many times. Loved it…but thought all immersion blenders *must* be created equal…. w-r-o-n-g. I recently bought a cheap-o GE at Walmart and it looked like a good deal since it had a mini chopper, and the motor detaches from the end so you can clean it without dumping the motor in water… well if you don’t get the two pieces fit together just so you end up with the smell of smoldering plastic. And the angle of the buttons on the handle makes it feel awkward in your hand. Not great for pureeing batchs of soup. FWIW I think Braun is the way to go. :)

15. Charmian Christie on 14 May 2009 at 2:49 pm #

This made me laugh. One of my sister’s can’t carry a tune and when she sang to her toddler, the child would put her hands over my sister’s mouth and say almost the same words.

16. rea on 14 May 2009 at 3:06 pm #

thanks!

17. Anonymous on 14 May 2009 at 4:32 pm #

Hmmm…have I missed out on the sourdough starter? I know (or I think) I’ve been away for a couple of deliveries, but can I still get some?
    You see, it is part of my long-term diabolical plan which also features the completion of our brick oven in the back and inviting you, Julie, to one of the inaugural pizza/bread/whatever parites with my “book” (pronounced “wine”) club…

18. "anonymous" on 14 May 2009 at 7:10 pm #

Re: immersion blenders–I am commenting with dark glasses on…I can’t dis one of the products I am supposed to believe in, but, after trying to use it several times during ‘public displays of cooking’ (ie classes), I must warn you, the blending public, of its inherent flaws. The Breville immersion blender, unlike every other one of their electrics, is difficult to use and not worth the money. The KitchenAid is a far superior product.

I personally have an ancient Braun stick blender and the plastic has cracked at the business end, so it is no longer food safe. For blending soups, smoothies and hummus etc. to the finest possible texture I use my Breville Ikon blender, as it is the best tool for the job. If I felt the need for a stick blender, I would go with one that is stainless steel.

19. Avery on 14 May 2009 at 9:43 pm #

When I was little, we had a “stage” (raised carpeted area with track lighting) in our basement and my sister and I would spend hours singing and dancing to the two cassette tapes our parents let us have: ABBA Gold and Michael Jackson’s “Off the Wall”. To this day, when I hear “Dancing Queen” I’m told I get a far away look in my eyes… LOL…

20. Fiona on 14 May 2009 at 10:01 pm #

I love the way Anna-Frid put the headphones on over her forehead, so she doesn’t mess up her hair.

I love my Braun immersion blender. It has various attachments, including a chopper. You can get some pretty good splatter going if you aren’t paying attention, though. I second the vote for stainless steel, though – mine’s all stained yellow from zapping curried soups.

21. Colleen on 15 May 2009 at 9:38 am #

Oh my! I laughed and laughed…I did the EXACT same thing with the recorder! I would also lay for hours in the basement listening to ABBA or the soundtrack from “Grease” (with those monster headphones on) on the record player. Usually singing along. I thought I sounded fabulous. One day, my brother brought his best friend home (on whom I had a mad crush) and they stood in the doorway listening to me sing WITHOUT the benefit of the actual music (remember the headphones). I wanted to DIE!

PS also love edamame

22. glenda on 15 May 2009 at 2:23 pm #

Thank you, thank you for the bit of ABBA in the middle of my day. YOU sound JUST like them too? (don’t we all!?) Too fun – though I was so hoping for a video of you with the headband, singing your heart out! :)

23. Mexbird on 15 May 2009 at 2:47 pm #

Julie,
    I tried your pretzels and they turned out GREAT! Thanks so much for the recipe. I will make them often.

24. Roasted Green and Yellow Beans | dinner with Julie on 11 Aug 2009 at 8:09 pm #

[...] menu, he really can’t choose anything else. The patties are the polar opposite to those at Rocky’s Burger Bus – where theirs are baseball-shaped, Boogie’s are more reminiscent of a Frisbee. But in a good [...]

25. best headphones for the running machine on 31 Dec 2011 at 4:10 am #

Thanks for another fantastic article. Where else may anybody get that type of information in such a perfect manner of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.

26. beats earphones on 17 Sep 2012 at 5:50 am #

Excellent post! We are linking to this great article on our site.

Keep up the great writing.

27. reduction plan on 17 Jun 2014 at 4:11 am #

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear
    and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her
    ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!