Sweet Potato Aloo Gobi

Sweet+Potato+Aloo+Gobi Sweet Potato Aloo Gobi

Oh yes. Yes yes yes yes yes.
Seriously, yes.

Sweet Potato Aloo Gobi

Aloo (potatoes) gobi (cauliflower) is a potato-cauliflower curry; this version, inspired by Bal Arneson’s beautiful new cookbook, Everyday Indian, uses sweet potatoes for a flavour and nutritional boost. (Use the larger, darker-fleshed sweet potatoes rather than those that are longer, thinner and paler-fleshed.) The tomatoes melt around the sweet potatoes and cauliflower, mingling with the spices and creating a sticky-sweet, smoky almost-sauce.

generous drizzle of canola or olive oil
1 medium head cauliflower, separated into florets
1 onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. garam masala
2 tsp. ground cumin or 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2-3 medium-large tomatoes, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Drizzle a rimmed baking sheet with oil and spread the cauliflower out in a single layer; drizzle with a little more oil and toss the cauliflower around with your hands to coat the pieces. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until tender and golden on the bottoms and edges.

Meanwhile, heat a generous drizzle of oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, until starting to soften. Add the ginger, garam masala, cumin, chili powder and salt and cook for a minute, then add the tomatoes and potato. Stir to combine everything well, pour 1/2 cup water over top and cover with a lid; reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender – about 7 minutes.

Add the roasted cauliflower to the pan and stir to combine everything well. Serve immediately, as is, with rice or naan.

Serves 4.

One Year Ago: Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread

[print_link]

pixel Sweet Potato Aloo Gobi
button print gry20 Sweet Potato Aloo Gobi

May 19 2009 04:58 pm | eating out and one dish and sweet stuff and veg and vegetarian

36 Responses to “Sweet Potato Aloo Gobi”

1. Carolyn on 19 May 2009 at 5:24 pm #

What an amazing photo, with the steam. I can almost smell it now. Can’t wait to try this one.

2. Erica B. on 19 May 2009 at 5:25 pm #

Looks deeeelicious Julie! Looove East Indian I’ll have to put this recipe in the must-try pile :)

We had a Lina’s inspired (carb loaded)dinner… prociutto & melon, manchego, spaghetti and homemade garlic cheese bread(can’t beat homemade…the grocery store stuff has waaay to much butter and too little actual garlic for my liking).

3. pauline on 19 May 2009 at 6:19 pm #

Omg. this looks so good. I have all the stuff so tomorrow I will make this. Will let you know how it goes. Yesterday I made your lamb stew Julie with the chick peas. Delicious.

4. Luann on 19 May 2009 at 7:31 pm #

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum. That looks so good.

5. lorissa on 19 May 2009 at 8:16 pm #

this looks amazing… can’t wait to make it!

6. Nicole on 19 May 2009 at 8:20 pm #

This sounds wonderful!

7. Katie on 20 May 2009 at 2:29 am #

This looks amazing! I love substituting sweet potatoes for regular ones, and it sounds like you found a winner with this dish :)

8. Bellini Valli on 20 May 2009 at 3:48 am #

I am enjoyinjg all of the healthy inspiration here on your site.

9. heather on 20 May 2009 at 5:06 am #

I’ve made something similar, except only with sweet potato and cauliflower – the tomato is a new add, and I think I love it!

Cheers,

*Heather*

10. Kate on 20 May 2009 at 5:27 am #

This looks delicious. I have never thought of making it with sweet potatoes! This is definitely on the list for me to make!

11. Monique on 20 May 2009 at 5:40 am #

This sounds delicious!

12. ladyloo on 20 May 2009 at 6:02 am #

Argh. This is when not being in my own kitchen PAINS me.

13. Barb on 20 May 2009 at 6:08 am #

I often use sweet potatoes instead of white ones, too. I made something similar to this from a suggestion on your site a while back and it was my first attempt at Indian food. Very good. I plan on making it more often.

14. Elaine on 20 May 2009 at 6:17 am #

Sounds great. We tear through garam masala like nobody’s business at our house; this will be perfect for a rainy day or cooler weather.

15. Melissa@ For the Love of Health on 20 May 2009 at 6:26 am #

That looks AND sounds so so good! Thanks for sharing! :-)

16. sue.d on 20 May 2009 at 7:01 am #

What a photo Julie! I think I can taste and smell and hear it steaming away.

I love vegetable main dishes, can’t wait to try this. Do you think the chili powder should be reduced for 9 year old palates?

17. JulieVR on 20 May 2009 at 7:04 am #

I don’t think so – it’s not very spicy! I think chili powder is often associated with red chili flakes or cayenne pepper – chili powder adds warmth but not a lot of heat. I’m a wuss when it comes to heat! The original didn’t have chili powder at all (although other versions of aloo gobi do) so you could leave it out completely if you like!

18. Blue Jean Gourmet on 20 May 2009 at 7:54 am #

the food of my people! I hated aloo gobi as a kid, but of course it’s one of my comfort foods now…go figure.

19. Manon from Ontario on 20 May 2009 at 9:42 am #

Hello Julie,

That does look good but can you tell me what in the world is garam masala???

There goes the virgin in me again!

Thanks,

MFO

20. Melanie on 20 May 2009 at 9:51 am #

Love the short, sweetness of this post! You’ve said it all! can’t wait to try it and have requested the book at my library!

21. allison@weigh2go.ca on 20 May 2009 at 10:45 am #

Hi Julie, I made dum aloo last week, but added a cup of plain yoghurt and some crushed cashews for a little extra ‘cream n crunch’ texture.

On the Indian-spiced theme, I made this fantastic vegetable semolina cake at the weekend – perfect for a healthy snack!

By the way, we have had lots of people coming to the store buying the ingredients for Dukkah since you mentioned it on the radio! I often use it now for coating chicken and it worked well as a topping on this cake!

Hope to see you bulk shopping again soon!
    Allison

22. Tiffiny Felix on 20 May 2009 at 12:37 pm #

I love sweet potatoes and cauliflower…mmmm…thanks for the recipe and the beautiful picture!

23. Fiona on 20 May 2009 at 2:54 pm #

I have this on the stove right now. I can’t wait. I’m going to eat it with naan. I had to substitute the garam masala with a bunch of different spices because I couldn’t find any now that they’ve renovated the Westhills Superstore and I can’t find a single thing except Pepsi.

24. thepinkpeppercorn on 20 May 2009 at 3:26 pm #

Looks good to me!!! mmmmmmmmm LOVE sweet potatoes!

25. Brenda H on 20 May 2009 at 4:43 pm #

Yes, yes, yes and you forgot the yummmmmmmmm!

I made it tonight for supper and I don’t think I have enough leftovers to take for lunch at work tomorrow (and I live alone – change the “serves 4″ to “serves 1 – 2″

Thanks Julie.

26. Charmian Christie on 20 May 2009 at 5:06 pm #

I love Bal Arneson’s book. My husband doesn’t like cauliflower but it’s one of my favourites. Perhaps the sweet potato will convince him?

Maybe I’ll just make it and not tell him….

Yes. Yes. That’s what I’ll do. Yes….

27. JCYN on 20 May 2009 at 5:21 pm #

Hi Julie: Love to see your cast iron skillet back in the picture!! I am so inspired by your blog. Keep up the great work.

28. Cory Lievers on 20 May 2009 at 7:03 pm #

Wow, this looks great. And sweet potato is so good for you too. Speaking of sweet potatoe :) does anyone have a great recipe for sweet potato fries? Every so often you find a restaurant with them and they are great, but I’ve yet to find the perfect recipe for at home. yum yum

29. Sophie on 21 May 2009 at 2:27 am #

ooooh,….Julie! what an excellent dinner! Delicious as ever!

30. Kathy on 21 May 2009 at 10:45 am #

We make aloo gobi a lot because it is both delicious and economical. Interesting twist with sweet potato! I normally make this a one pot meal by following this method and throwing everything in the pot, cover for 30 minutes, and potatoes and cauliflower steam in the juices. Roasted caulifower would add a lot of flavour depth. thanks for the suggestions.

31. Claire on 21 May 2009 at 6:00 pm #

Oooh, this looks delicious. I love aloo gobi, love sweet potatoes, love sweet potatoes with garam masala. I must make this!

32. Kevin on 26 May 2009 at 5:47 pm #

I like the sound of using sweet potatoes here!

33. Elaine on 16 Jun 2009 at 7:53 am #

good freakin’ lord, I made this last night and the hubs and I (both avid disdainers of cauliflower) found it to be out-of-control delicious.

34. Slow-Roasted Tomatoes | dinner with Julie on 17 Jun 2009 at 9:24 pm #

[…] I made a quick aloo gobi – again prompted by a comment that reminded me how good it was – but you know that one already. So […]

35. Heather on 02 Jul 2009 at 3:38 pm #

Hi Julie,

I’ve been reading your site quite a lot lately. There’s some weird charm in hearing all about stuff in your part of Canada (I’m in Canberra, in Australia.) On Wednesday evening I made your Aloo Gobi recipe. I’ve never been a great fan of cauliflower (I think because my mother used to boil it to death) but the roasting seemed to change it and make it delicious. Not sure I had the right kind of sweet potato though!

36. Anonymous on 02 Apr 2010 at 10:11 pm #

This was delicious. Thank you.