Waffled French Toast

Waffled+French+Toast+2 Waffled French Toast

I don’t ever use the abbreviated expletive OMG, but for the past hour my brain seems to be stuck on it. Really, nothing else applies.

OMG: it’s John Cusack’s birthday. And apparently he’s just right out there in Vancouver, scouting out locations for something or other, which makes me doubly regret our move back to Calgary. Although the distance is probably keeping me from becoming a stalker, or doing something stupid like bake him a cake and then scour the city in an attempt to deliver it, ultimately giving up and eating it myself on some street corner or beach before walking home, dejected.

That doesn’t sound too bad, actually. I’d love to be in Vancouver right now, eating cake.

Regarding dinner, there really wasn’t one tonight. We were fed very well this afternoon at K & J’s place (sangria, cheese platter, beggar’s purses filled with goat cheese and caviar, steak on the barbecue, roasted veg, Caesar salad, and fruit-marshmallow kabobs with FIVE KINDS of Ben & Jerry’s for dessert – was it perhaps my birthday?), and in an attempt to be a conscientious lunch guest I did not bring along my camera and document everything they prepared. But I did take a few snaps of our quickie breakfast this morning – stale bread dipped in egg, milk and vanilla and then cooked in the waffle iron; French toast and waffles all in one, without having to beat egg whites to make waffle batter. As usual I tossed a handful of blueberries into the maple syrup as it warmed in a small pot on the stove, so that the berries popped and turned the syrup a deep indigo. Who wants to pour cold syrup, straight from the fridge, onto warm pancakes, waffles or French toast anyway?

Waffled+french+toast Waffled French Toast

And if I had woken up beside John this morning, he would have had waffled French toast for breakfast. And Mike would have totally understood.

One Year Ago: Danish Braid with Berries, then one with Goat Cheese and Spiced Fig Caramel

pixel Waffled French Toast
button print gry20 Waffled French Toast

June 28 2009 07:36 pm | breakfast

30 Responses to “Waffled French Toast”

1. thepinkpeppercorn on 28 Jun 2009 at 7:59 pm #

Oh I want the weekend all over again now!

2. Erica B. on 28 Jun 2009 at 8:14 pm #

darn I want a do-over… I made french toast for lunch (the only way J will eat eggs) and I have blueberries in the fridge…should have got the waffle iron out too :)

3. Sarah from Toronto Gardens on 28 Jun 2009 at 9:13 pm #

Mmm. Must try this. Another excuse to get the waffle iron out. And you are so right about the warmed maple syrup.

4. robyn on 28 Jun 2009 at 9:58 pm #

You have to use egg whites in waffles?!? So that’s why mine are always flat! sheesh.

5. JulieVR on 28 Jun 2009 at 10:01 pm #

Not necessarily – most have beaten egg whites, but my favourites are yeast-raised overnight waffles. I posted them last Easter. YUM.

6. Sarah (Coffee Beans and Curry Leaves) on 28 Jun 2009 at 10:47 pm #

I might be out of the loop, but I’ve never heard of this style of quasi-french toast waffles. What a great idea!

7. Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" on 28 Jun 2009 at 11:02 pm #

These sound fun! May have to try it sometime. Mr. likes to fry his french toast though.

8. Aimee on 29 Jun 2009 at 3:57 am #

You guys sure know how to entertain out there!

9. Melanie on 29 Jun 2009 at 4:47 am #

What a great idea about warming the maple syrup! I usually just serve it cold from the fridge… I’ll try to warm it next time, surely sounds delicious!

10. Cheryl on 29 Jun 2009 at 4:59 am #

Was it your birthday?
    I always do that with fresh (or frozen) blueberries too. Sadly our breakfast was on the run yesterday. And hot dogs for dinner. So not gourmet, but damn tasty.

11. JulieVR on 29 Jun 2009 at 6:01 am #

No – my birthday isn’t until October. And yes, it is an Emile Henry dish! I needed an excuse to use it, even though most Bakewell Tarts are made in flatter tart pans.

12. Marta on 29 Jun 2009 at 6:58 am #

I would love to be anywhere eating cake right about now… no, wait, let me get the pants with elastic waistband… now!
    Lovely French Toast, very syrupy and delicious brunch. I’m sure John and your hubbie would have been happy to split one ;)
    I saw you on the street the other day. I wanted to introduce myself and say hi. But then I thought that’d be creepy. So I think I just smiled at you. Hahaha that may have been a little creepy too!

13. JulieVR on 29 Jun 2009 at 7:02 am #

Oh you guys!! Let’s just agree that it wouldn’t be at all creepy or weird if we ran into each other somewhere and you said hi – just because I wouldn’t recognize you to see you doesn’t mean I don’t have a kind of a friendship with you!

14. Stef on 29 Jun 2009 at 7:50 am #

What a unique idea! I’m going to have to give it a try sometime.

15. Vivian on 29 Jun 2009 at 8:42 am #

Does any particular bread work better than another for this treatment? Regular ol’ white bread (crusts trimmed?), whole wheat, ciabatta, brioche? It’s such a good idea and way less involved than the usual waffle recipe.

16. rea on 29 Jun 2009 at 9:54 am #

john cusack. blueberry sauce.

john cusack. blueberry sauce.

john cusack. blueberry sauce.

whipped cream.

17. Susan on 29 Jun 2009 at 10:15 am #

What a great idea to use the waffle iron for french toast! I’m going to give that a try next time. My waffle iron is so seldom used, maybe now I can justify buying it in the first place! You clever cleaver, you! Thanks for this.

18. eroica on 29 Jun 2009 at 4:58 pm #

It is a beauuuuuutiful day in Vancouver!

19. lovetocook on 29 Jun 2009 at 6:36 pm #

a) You had what for lunch?
    b) Mike is one lucky guy – what is his BMI?
    c) Waffles + maple + fruit = heaven. Who needs JC?
    d) re blogging: it is a sort of friendship, and therapy when things go wrong, a great journal, entertainment/information for readers. Thanks, Julie
    e)BTW have you heard about the Julia/Julie movie with Meryl Streep? Well, they are missing one talented Julie in the cast-JVR!

20. Jess on 29 Jun 2009 at 6:43 pm #

“…so that the berries popped and turned the syrup a deep indigo.” The waffled French toast sounds wonderful, but I’d be very happy with just a spoonful of that syrup.

21. Erin M on 29 Jun 2009 at 7:28 pm #

Wow that was some lunch, some amazing breakfast and you crack me up with your love of cusack!

22. JulieVR on 30 Jun 2009 at 11:40 am #

Vivian – any bread works, just like French toast. you want it to be at least day-old though, otherwise it tends to turn to mush. Those big doughy cinnamon buns work well too!

23. MenuManiac on 30 Jun 2009 at 12:03 pm #

I just saw your blog mentioned on http://fresheats.blogspot.com/ WOW! I feel like I must eat breakfast right now. IT’s 4 p.m. in Windsor.

24. Natalie (Michigan) on 30 Jun 2009 at 1:14 pm #

Can’t seem to get scenes from “Say Anything” out of my mind……….

25. KristenJ on 04 Jul 2009 at 6:45 pm #

This has sealed the deal for a waffle iron purchase…any particular one you recommend? Perhaps breakfast in bed tomorrow and a little Grosse Pointe Blank to go with it!

26. Gourmet Mama on 05 Jul 2009 at 8:02 pm #

I would love this recipe with strawberries! But then I’m partial to them. These ones look just as good though. I mean wow. I wouldn’t mind waking up to that. Now if I could just coerce my husband to making it before I wake up. Hahahaha.

27. Pumpkin Waffles :: Other Waffles « Pumpkin Waffles Blog on 23 Oct 2009 at 6:50 am #

[...] Waffle French Toast from Dinner with Julie [...]

28. Sunday Links « Newlywed Nomads on 17 Jan 2010 at 6:52 am #

[...] because I’m obsessed with my new waffle maker I would love to make this Waffle French Toast, Cinnamon Oatmeal [...]

29. Waffled french toast « Fruitslinger on 31 May 2010 at 6:21 pm #

[...] is waffled french toast, which I discovered thanks to this blog, which I discovered thanks to this [...]

30. Watch Brandon Rios vs Mike Alvarado Online Stream Watch Brandon Rios vs Mike Alvarado Online Stream on 30 Mar 2013 at 4:53 pm #

I like it whenever people come together and share ideas.
    Great website, keep it up!