Blueberry Crumb Cake

Blueberry+Crumb+Cake+ +2+pieces Blueberry Crumb Cake

My capris are most definitely a tighter fit than they were when we arrived. I always think of Tofino as a healthy place, where in summertime there’s fresh fish to be had, and produce, and lots of grainy things at the bakeries, and beaches to walk on in the early mornings. I forget that I tend to come out here with my sister, and that there’s fish and chips, and pancakes in the morning, ice cream, SoBo (we went again last night. Yes we did.), bread and scones from the 600 Degree Bakery, and Cheezies to eat while we play Blokus.

It’s not all unhealthy. Blueberries are local and cheap, and at the rate little people around here are plowing through them, we’ve been averaging a couple 2lb boxes per day. We’ve been eating them on pancakes, with granola (from Jupiter) and yogurt, and by the handful; today I thought I’d stretch them a bit, and turn some into a crumb cake.

Blueberry+Crumb+Cake+ +piece Blueberry Crumb Cake

A basic crumb cake is a great recipe to have in your back pocket during the summer; this same cake is fantastic made with raspberries, cherries, strawberries, blackberries, or thickly sliced peaches, apricots or plums. The cake batter would take on finely grated orange or lemon zest very well.

Blueberry+Crumb+Cake+ +unbaked Blueberry Crumb Cake
Blueberry+Crumb+Cake Blueberry Crumb Cake

Blueberry Crumb Cake

Cake:
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 Tbsp. canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose, whole wheat or some of each)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup buttermilk or thin plain yogurt
2-3 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) berries, or a few thickly sliced plums, peaches or apricots

Crumble:
2 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 Tbsp. canola oil
3/4 cup flour (all-purpose or whole wheat)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
pinch salt

Preheat the oven to 350F. In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar for 1-2 minutes, until fluffy; beat in the eggs and vanilla.

In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add about a third of it to the butter mixture and stir by hand or on low speed with the mixer just until blended. Add half the buttermilk or yogurt, another third of the flour, the rest of the buttermilk and the rest of the flour. Stir just until blended, and spread into a 9″x9″ pan that has been buttered or sprayed with nonstick spray. Spread the berries overtop.

In a small bowl, blend the butter, oil, flour, sugars and salt and mix with a fork or rub between your fingers until evenly combined and crumbly. Sprinkle over the berries, squeezing the mixture in your hands as you go to create bigger chunks of crumble.

Bake for about an hour, until golden and springy to the touch. Serves 12-16.

One Year Ago: Vij’s Chicken Curry
[print_link]

pixel Blueberry Crumb Cake
button print gry20 Blueberry Crumb Cake

July 20 2009 08:06 pm | breakfast and cake and snacks

15 Responses to “Blueberry Crumb Cake”

1. Kate on 21 Jul 2009 at 4:38 am #

Ouch! What a tease to see first thing before breakfast! Eggs and ham sound lame :)

2. Manon from Ontario on 21 Jul 2009 at 4:44 am #

Hello Julie in Tofino :)

Hope you are really enjoying yourselves. It’s hard to be completely healthy on holidays, come on!
    Anyways, I had a celebrity come in to our sugar shack yesterday to buy some maple syrup. She’s a Quebec singer, Veronic Dicaire! Her boyfriend is from our small town, and I know her in-laws personally.
    I was floored, I was blushing, and smiling like a eight year old, but it was well worth it.
    She is bringing our maple syrup to Corsica, France!

That made my summer I think.

Have a great vacation Julie.

MFO :)

3. marce on 21 Jul 2009 at 5:04 am #

Julie,

The travelogue with food has been terrific. Growing up in the US, we called this dessert Blueberry Buckle. I came across a similar recipe to yours in a Junior League cookbook (regional recipes from home-grown cooks. When our children were small, my BF and I took turns baking it and devouring it with coffee while we watched them play in the sprinkler. Thanks for the memories and the travel inspiration.

4. Barb on 21 Jul 2009 at 5:49 am #

This recipe is a keeper, for sure.

Monon – so exciting! Good for you!

5. Barb on 21 Jul 2009 at 5:51 am #

I’m hearing you on the radio now, Julie. That must mean the holiday is over. BooHiss. It did sound great. A little fast and short but the good ones always are.

6. Cheryl Arkison on 21 Jul 2009 at 6:37 am #

Yum, I think this will be made with an excess amount of apricots I seem to have this week. And delivered to a heart transplant recipient I know.

Keep enjoying your trip!

7. LisaGee on 21 Jul 2009 at 7:02 am #

So jealous of you eating Cheezies while playing Blokus in Tofino! Those are three of my favourite things!

And I have a 2lb box of blueberries that I now know what to do with (if I can get to it before my husband eats them all by the handful). Thanks!

8. Vivian on 21 Jul 2009 at 7:41 am #

What perfection to wake up to the idea (and pictures) of a tempting blueberry crumb cake! I have a box of Italian plums that will sub in for the blueberries which are still awfully expensive here. The crumb topping was what my German Oma put on top of her cakes and called it “streusel”…I adored it (the bigger the lumps the better) and figured it was the best vehicle for delivering whatever fruit I didn’t like in its natural state.

9. Charmian Christie on 21 Jul 2009 at 8:21 am #

I would be going through a 2 lb box of blueberries each day, too! Love them.

This recipe looks wonderful. Just the thing with a cup of tea on the porch. Now I want a piece.

10. Melanie on 21 Jul 2009 at 2:16 pm #

I think I may have to turn on the oven…

11. Emma on 22 Jul 2009 at 6:30 pm #

Not only does the food look and sound good, but Blokus is a great game!
    I just got it less than a week ago for my birthday!

12. Sue in Tucson Az on 25 Jul 2010 at 7:34 pm #

I made this blueberry cake this morning. We are just back from our annual vacation to Nova Scotia and I had limited groceries in the house, but had blueberries and butter in the freezer.

My husband and son loved the cake. This recipe is a keeper. I used frozen berries and they were yummy!

Added a teaspoon of white vinegar to the milk to make buttermilk. After it sat for 5 minutes it was great.

13. amanda on 11 Mar 2011 at 6:59 pm #

oh i am totally going to give this a try! thanks for posting this! you have a great blog!

14. Kick The KD: Biscuit ABCs (and Dinner) with Julie « Dan's Good Side on 02 May 2011 at 12:11 pm #

[…] off of Dinner With Julie. We tried out her Roasted Beet & Butternut Squash Soup, as well as the Blueberry Crumb Cake. Both turned out […]

15. förvaringstält on 20 Nov 2013 at 3:58 am #

great submit, we definitely appreciate this website, persist with it