Open-faced Peach Sandwiches on Grainy Sunflower Bread

Peach+sandwich Open faced Peach Sandwiches on Grainy Sunflower Bread

I sure do know some pretty fantastic people. I’m particularly fond of those who bring me food.

Last night the doorbell rang late – my friend Natasha bringing bunches of beets and chard just pulled from the ground at her brother’s farm. This afternoon the doorbell rang between stressful phone calls – I didn’t want to answer but was glad I did – it was Aviv, bringing me a brown-paper wrapped grainy, seedy sunflower loaf (still warm) and a jar of equally grainy apricot-beer mustard, just because he heard I was having a bad month. (I suppose there were some tense moments before the Tofino part.) I ate half of it with butter and black currant jam and called it lunch, and ate another slab with dinner – a pan of roasted chick peas and chard (done on the stovetop so as to not unnecessarily heat up the house) with a bit of lamb rogan josh I pulled from the freezer.

Sunflower+Seed+Loaf Open faced Peach Sandwiches on Grainy Sunflower Bread

And oh yes – as I passed two-thirds of the loaf sitting beside the flat of BC peaches I picked up at the market yesterday I was reminded of a story my Mom told me last week: that her mom and aunt used to eat thick wedges of juicy Ontario peaches straight-up on buttered bread. Who needs all the sugar and cooking when you’re just going for the pure sweetness of a perfect peach?

Bonus: the bread sops up those juices that might otherwise trickle down your chin.

Oh yes.

PS: Aviv sells his bread at the Hillhurst-Sunnyside Market on Wednesdays.

One Year Ago: Barbecue Shrimp and Guacamole

pixel Open faced Peach Sandwiches on Grainy Sunflower Bread
button print gry20 Open faced Peach Sandwiches on Grainy Sunflower Bread

July 27 2009 05:35 pm | breakfast

12 Responses to “Open-faced Peach Sandwiches on Grainy Sunflower Bread”

1. Erica B. on 27 Jul 2009 at 6:51 pm #

I loooove fresh peaches, never thought of eating them on bread though yum! You know they might make an interesting bruschetta too. :)

2. robin on 27 Jul 2009 at 8:15 pm #

YUM!!! You DO know some wonderful people! The only person who ever knocks on our door with food is the pizza man :O)

3. Avery on 27 Jul 2009 at 8:30 pm #

Haha… I just sent you an email about the bread and mustard. Now, if I can just find someone to deliver peaches to my door… and perhaps booze…

4. Kate on 28 Jul 2009 at 3:51 am #

That bread looks heavenly! Love to live near you! Maybe I could run into the same wonderful people YOU know ;)

5. Jan on 28 Jul 2009 at 5:34 am #

Hi Julie
    I just made eatmores (February 5, 2009) but I used organic peanut butter and they are a little crumbly. What can I do to make them stick together more?
    Thanks

6. Barb on 28 Jul 2009 at 5:43 am #

Welcome home!

7. mp on 28 Jul 2009 at 5:59 am #

I know the discussion about your new tagline happened quite awhile ago but I was driving yesterday thinking about it … life with Julie tastes good …
    Thanks for sharing so candidly and making all our mouths water. Cheers – m

8. Lana on 28 Jul 2009 at 6:40 am #

Please send peaches here! The Ontario peaches aren’t ready yet and all the stores are only stocking U.S peaches. Nooooo!!
    Hopefully they will arrive by mid-August when my mother comes to visit and to teach me how to make Peach Conserve. My first attempt at canning!

9. Cheryl Arkison on 28 Jul 2009 at 6:56 am #

Sometimes it creeps me out how we eat alike. I had lamb vindaloo last night, so not rogan josh. But I did put peaches on Aviv’s bread this morning for breakfast. The difference is that I used ricotta instead of butter.

10. Jess on 28 Jul 2009 at 12:08 pm #

Oh my. Oh yes. Though my chin might get jealous of that bread.

11. Sprouted Kitchen on 29 Jul 2009 at 7:36 am #

No kidding I was just thinking this morning how i wanted to make a little peach tartine sandiwch with how wonderful the stone fruits are right now. nice work!! great blog

12. Sprout on 29 Jul 2009 at 11:57 am #

Do tell – how do you do your chard and chickpea recipe on the stovetop? I’ve loved this recipe since you originally posted it but I agree that the weather isn’t conducive to leaving the oven on 450F for 45 minutes – I’ll have to try it this way – I just wish I had some of that bread to go with it!