Pizza from the Wood-fired Oven at the Calgary Italian Supermarket

Italian+Supermarket+Pizza Pizza from the Wood fired Oven at the Calgary Italian Supermarket

I’ll let you in on a little secret: if you’re in Calgary, the Italian Supermarket on the corner of 20th Ave and Edmonton Trail NE has a woodburning pizza oven that they fire up on Saturday afternoons only. You can thank me later. With a pizza.

We picked one up just before 2 – and just before they ran out of dough. Of course being an Italian Supermarket there are all kinds of real Italian toppings; we got as much as the dough would structurally tolerate: capicola, salami, prosciutto, artichokes, peppers, olives, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. (Next time I’m going for the one topped with tomato bruschetta, fresh basil, mozzarella and bocconcini, but the boys wanted meat. This would be like the Italian Supermarket’s version of a Meat Lover’s.) The dough is thin and crispy-edged but bendy, so that you can fold it up around the innards and eat it like the very best pizza pocket ever. This was the perfect balance of meats, creamy cheese, and salty, briny bits of olive and artichoke; Mike could not stop groaning over it, and claims he could have eaten the entire thing himself. Actually, he almost did. I think maybe he loved it more than me.

Italian+Supermarket+Pizza+2 Pizza from the Wood fired Oven at the Calgary Italian Supermarket

You can sit in the sunny little corner of the supermarket and eat your pizza there, or order it, shop, and by the time you’re paying for your stuff (espresso, chunky olive bruschetta, Italian chocolate-hazelnut cookies, still-warm crusty bread, dropped into a basket by the cash register by someone’s silver-haired nonna, fresh black pepper fettuccine and green pea ravioli made by the owner – Emilio-‘s wife, Lina) it’s being slid out of the oven and into a box for you to take home. They’re pretty huge, but will set you back only $13.99-$14.99.

(And another reason I like milling about this place, waiting for my pizza: I always find cool things like raw olives, chokecherry concentrate and teeny bottles of Italian sodas in interesting flavours that make me feel like maybe I’m not in Calgary after all, I’m in a little shop somewhere in Italy.)

Olives Pizza from the Wood fired Oven at the Calgary Italian Supermarket
Italian+Supermarket Pizza from the Wood fired Oven at the Calgary Italian Supermarket

We didn’t need dinner. (I did, however, need a few more slabs of bread.)

One Year Ago: French Onion Soup

pixel Pizza from the Wood fired Oven at the Calgary Italian Supermarket
button print gry20 Pizza from the Wood fired Oven at the Calgary Italian Supermarket

October 03 2009 10:59 pm | eating out

18 Responses to “Pizza from the Wood-fired Oven at the Calgary Italian Supermarket”

1. Cheryl on 03 Oct 2009 at 11:49 pm #

Sigh. I wish I wasn’t too lazy to drive up there. I can’t stop thinking about wood-fired pizza after making the marmalade the other day.

2. Erica B. on 04 Oct 2009 at 12:15 am #

That pizza looks like the ones I grew up with (I’m 99% Scottish-Canadian…we had very generous Italian neighbours). Too bad we’re so far away… maybe we’ll have to work in a post-thanksgiving trip there and to the Italian Store (my fave place for ceramic platters).

3. pauline on 04 Oct 2009 at 7:54 am #

Love our Italian centre here in Edmonton too. It does feel like I am on vacation while in there, they have the most terrific deli. No pizza oven though darn it.

4. June on 04 Oct 2009 at 8:06 am #

You’re killing me here. I’m so homesick for Calgary I could cry and honestly I’ve never found an Italian Market like that one either. Darn!

5. Carol SB on 04 Oct 2009 at 8:12 am #

Ooh, I didn’t know that! (about the pizza oven). But I love their cappucino, so good: and do they have their wine making supplies for sale?
    I remember they had this big ol’ grape crusher, in the fall they’d bring in grapes, and you could go buy buckets of the juice, ready to make wine with… do they still?

6. JulieVR on 04 Oct 2009 at 8:40 am #

They did have a big brand-new grape crusher right as you walked in the door! I didn’t notice the juice, but then I wasn’t looking.. I’ve never been a wine maker!

7. Carolyn on 04 Oct 2009 at 8:45 am #

That pizza looks amazing, and makes me even look more forward to the real Italian pizza (in Italy) I’ll be enjoying next week!-)

8. ladyloo on 04 Oct 2009 at 8:49 am #

No matter how long I make the list of places I must go (after trolling through your archives), you always find one more spot I need to see my next time back in the country.

P.S. Thanks for the Manuel Latruwe tip.

9. Fiona on 04 Oct 2009 at 10:40 am #

Ohh. I keep forgetting about this. My other half loves pizza. Next week.

10. Christina on 04 Oct 2009 at 10:56 am #

Just over a year ago we moved to south Calgary but had lived off Edmonton Trail and 7th ave. for over 5 years and I NEVER went to the Italian Market or enjoyed the Pizza from the wood burning oven. I am just kicking myself … oh well, it’s a good excuse to go check out the old neighborhood. The Pizza looks to die for!

11. robin on 04 Oct 2009 at 1:35 pm #

how fun! i’m on the hunt for an italian market in my neck of the woods.

12. Natalie (Georgia) on 04 Oct 2009 at 6:26 pm #

Be still my beating heart……… oh my!!

13. Barb on 05 Oct 2009 at 7:52 am #

My next chance for a day or two off work I may go to the Italian Market for a mini vacation. I wold love to browse around there for an afternoon.

14. Lana on 05 Oct 2009 at 8:48 am #

Drooling….

15. Kate on 05 Oct 2009 at 8:51 am #

I’m with you on the “next time” pizza; but, I think I’d happily scarf down a slice or two of the meat lovers too. Looks great!

16. Tara O on 05 Oct 2009 at 9:45 am #

funny – my man picked up raw pizza dough from there on Saturday and we made our own pizzas at home. (Hockey night = pizza and beer). Since I am still trying to use the chard from my garden, I wanted a veggie pizza. I spread home made pesto and riccota on the crust followed by sauteed chard, red pepper, onion and garlic. Topped off with a bit of mozza – it was divine! The man wanted meat – go figure – so we layered capicollo, with proscuitto, mushrooms and peppers on tomato sauce – again topped with mozza. Far too much pizza for 2 people, but it gave us leftovers for lunch the next day:)

17. CT on 05 Oct 2009 at 12:24 pm #

18. thepinkpeppercorn on 05 Oct 2009 at 4:28 pm #

Eating AND shopping? Doesn’t get better than that!!!!