Leftover Halloween Candy Cookies

PB+cup+cookies Leftover Halloween Candy Cookies

I couldn’t look a mini chocolate bar in the eye this morning. By this afternoon I didn’t even want one each time I walked past the bowl. What do you do when Halloween candy has lost its appeal? (Or when prices have been slashed by an irresistible 75%?) Chop them up (a post-Halloween massacre) and make cookies. Dress them up, if you will.

While we’re on the subject – has anyone noticed the peanut butter cups aren’t even full-sized anymore? Silver lining: they make great deep dish cookies. This peanut butter dough will turn out both. Or you could use any basic soft cookie dough – oatmeal, brown sugar (as for chocolate chip cookies), chocolate or even ginger.

Deep-Dish Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used the just-peanuts stuff)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
about 2 cups chopped mini chocolate bars or 1 1/2 dozen Halloween sized peanut butter cups, unwrapped

Preheat oven to 325F.

In a large bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter and sugars until fluffy; add the egg and vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir until you have a soft dough.

Roll the dough into walnut-sized balls, drop into a muffin tin and press them down a little, then press a peanut butter cup into the middle. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until pale golden around the edges.

Makes 1 1/2-2 dozen cookies.

(Dinner, by the way, was poached eggs on toast and roasted cauliflower. We’re in clean-out-the-fridge-before-leaving-town mode.)

One Year Ago: Black Currant Popsicle (and my Grandma’s Peanut Brittle with Bacon)

pixel Leftover Halloween Candy Cookies
button print gry20 Leftover Halloween Candy Cookies

November 02 2009 08:26 pm | cookies & squares

22 Responses to “Leftover Halloween Candy Cookies”

1. Kathryn on 02 Nov 2009 at 8:40 pm #

I have eaten a shocking number of mini chocolate bars in the past two days (sorry kids). The sight of those peanut-butter-cup-cookies actually makes me feel a little queasy. I’m sure they are yummy though!

2. Holly on 02 Nov 2009 at 9:17 pm #

Julie, are you going to hear Anthony Bourdain when he is in Calgary? I got my tickets this morning. My husband and I are coming down from Edmonton to see him. I am the foodie and he is just tagging along!

Holly

3. Avery on 02 Nov 2009 at 10:15 pm #

I can’t believe you still had peanut butter cups left over. Those are always the first to go at our house! All that’s left are the Smarties, and I actually came up with the same solution… cookie them.
    We’re seeing Anthony Bourdain, as well!

4. Rachel on 03 Nov 2009 at 12:21 am #

I haven’t eaten any chocolate all week – I’m too poor to justify giving out free candy (or even eating it myself)! I’ve been dreaming of a chocolate bar while desperately trying to finish my assignments. Send some my way? ;)

5. Anonymous on 03 Nov 2009 at 7:43 am #

You have taken my favourite chocolate and made it even better!! Now all I have to do is hunt for Reeses Peanut butter cups here in Italy.

WOW!!

6. erin on 03 Nov 2009 at 8:30 am #

What? What? Anthony Bourdain?? When? Never mind, I will google it….

7. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite on 03 Nov 2009 at 8:36 am #

What a great idea. Don’t have any leftover candy (ahem!) but yes, it’s all on sale now, right?

8. Lana in South Mountain (ON) on 03 Nov 2009 at 8:48 am #

I just want to say that I am on Day 4 of a nutritional cleanse ( no dairy, no sugar, no red meat) and altho I am feeling fine, this entry made me lick my screen.
    Damn you, gorgeous looking cookies!

9. the other Al on 03 Nov 2009 at 11:46 am #

BRILLIANT

10. Margaret on 03 Nov 2009 at 2:09 pm #

Just made a batch of these cookies, using leftover Red Hots, Smarties, Coffee Crisp and Peanut butter cups. Wow, these are just amazing. Am taking some over to the neighborhood kids for their after school snack, while their mom gets the recipe with candy attached.
    Such a great idea!

11. Barb on 03 Nov 2009 at 4:01 pm #

Is this candy left over form the house stash or W’s bag? Big difference…. (My mother was a Halloween candy thief)

12. Jen T on 03 Nov 2009 at 4:06 pm #

I love making the peanut butter cup cookies. But I don’t wait for halloween – I use the mini reese pb cups that are individually wrapped in foil – whip up a batch of my peanut butter cookie dough and then use my mini muffin tins and put a dollup of dough in the tin and squish a rpbc into it. Same effect – smaller portion. YUMMY!

13. Lauren on 03 Nov 2009 at 4:39 pm #

I love it! The perfect way to use up some of all that extra candy =D.

14. thepinkpeppercorn on 03 Nov 2009 at 4:43 pm #

Oooh! I love it! Fun, but a bit more sophisticated…in case that mattered when it comes to candy! :)

15. Karly on 03 Nov 2009 at 5:52 pm #

I have been chowing down on the Halloween candy. I’ll probably burst before it’s all over with. Making these cookies probably won’t help matters, but darn it, I’ll probably do it anyway.

16. KC on 03 Nov 2009 at 7:39 pm #

I’m glad that you also noticed the peanut butter cups are getting smaller. I was worried I was getting bigger…

17. Pam on 03 Nov 2009 at 9:02 pm #

I thought I was “candied out” but oh no, you had to go make them look delicious all over again!! Thanks a lot Julie… :)

18. JulieVR on 03 Nov 2009 at 10:12 pm #

So yes, Anthony Bourdain. Guess who’s introducing him? :)

19. Holly on 04 Nov 2009 at 8:13 am #

we made your cookies yesterday! they were great! Yay on indroducing Tony! whoa! what a honor!

20. stacey snacks on 04 Nov 2009 at 8:54 pm #

Julie,
    I made a “candy cake” w/ Reeses and M&M’s it was truly delicious, though some comments said “this is disgusting!”.
    I am not a candy lover, yet the cake turned out not only pretty but really delish!
    Stacey

21. Carol SB on 05 Nov 2009 at 4:50 pm #

Ohhhh my. These look like amazing cookies. Little baby Reeses PB cups are on sale… good plan (KC, you make me laugh!)
    Anybody besides me want to be Margaret’s neighbor?!

22. DIY Free Printable Sign: We’ve been BOOed Sign | Polka Dot Design Blog: Ideas, Inspiration & Invitations on 03 Jan 2011 at 6:59 pm #

[…] is not home. The treat can be something simple like festive candy and these yummy candy-inspired cookies, or Halloween novelties like toys, decorations, games, glow sticks and more – all to get folks […]