Brussels Sprout Slaw with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette & Maple Pecans

Brussels+Sprout+Slaw Brussels Sprout Slaw with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette & Maple Pecans

AKA my new favourite way to eat Brussels sprouts (yes Brussels – as in the city in Belgium. Not brussel sprouts. Also not expresso. Espresso! ESPRESSO!!) These were the last remaining veg in the fridge that held their own during our week away. A few wrinkly peppers destined for roasting, and it’s time to hit the market.

Brussels sprouts are after all teeny heads of cabbage, so why not shred them into slaw? My Mom, a devout BS hater, who can sniff one out on a Thanksgiving table loaded with food, said she could be persuaded to try this. I’m doing it quick, before she changes her mind. I’ll let you know if she survives.

Brussels Sprout Slaw with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette and Maple Pecans

adapted from Bon Appetit, November 2009

1 cup pecan halves
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
salt & pepper

1 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed

Dressing:
1/4 cup grainy mustard
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread the pecans out on a baking sheet and drizzle with maple syrup; stir around with a spoon to coat them well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for 5 minutes; stir and bake them for another 5 minutes, until the syrup is thick and glaze-like. Remove from the oven and spread the nuts on a piece of foil or a plate to cool.

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the Brussels sprouts for 5 minutes; drain and run under cool water. Shake off any excess water and run the sprouts through a food processor with a 1/8″-1/4″ slicing disk, or patiently cut them all thinly by hand. Transfer to a large bowl.

In a bowl or jar, shake or whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Toss the Brussels sprouts with as much dressing as you like; let marinate for about an hour. Right before serving, add the pecans.

I was busy patting myself on the back for eating a bowl of Brussels sprouts for lunch – nary a pastry in sight, and I haven’t had hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate shavings for a good 3 DAYS – when our neighbours popped over and gave me an excuse to break into some cheese. So technically I ate triple crème, Oka and crackers for dinner. This is not helping my pants fit.

pixel Brussels Sprout Slaw with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette & Maple Pecans
button print gry20 Brussels Sprout Slaw with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette & Maple Pecans

November 15 2009 05:54 pm | salads and veg

27 Responses to “Brussels Sprout Slaw with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette & Maple Pecans”

1. Margaret on 15 Nov 2009 at 6:19 pm #

I LOVE those tiny baby brussel sprouts, and just steam them eating them plain, but I will certainly give your recipe a try.

2. Debbie on 15 Nov 2009 at 8:02 pm #

I’ve never tried cooking brussel sprouts, and am only just discovering that I actually like them. This is a definite try.

3. Christina on 15 Nov 2009 at 9:04 pm #

I love cabbage but have never liked brussel sprouts, every time I’ve had them they have a weird taste (I can’t quite put my finger on what it is). So just this week a friend of mine who loves brussel sprouts told me that if they are overcooked they do take on a weird taste, is this true? Maybe that’s why I’ve never liked them? I’m going to try them again!

4. Bellini Valli on 16 Nov 2009 at 6:48 am #

This may be just the way to get me to LOVE brussels sprouts.

5. Carol SB on 16 Nov 2009 at 8:38 am #

The propaganda I gave my kids about brussels sprouts, when they were little, was that these are baby cabbages. (Yes, it did work!) Since we shredded cabbage for slaw (cold AND hot), and for those “lazy cabbage rolls” I adore, why, Julie, WHY did I never consider shredding lightly-cooked brussels sprouts?
    Culinary genius.
    You should be a food writer. Maybe even write a blog :-)

6. Elaine on 16 Nov 2009 at 9:03 am #

Went over to some friends’ house for dinner last night, and we four spent quite a bit of time feeling smug that we all have a thing for sprouts. I generally roast or saute them, but lately I’ve been shredding them and tossing them with bacon and dates. This looks right up the alley of the last one: salty and sweet! Perfect!

7. Janice S on 16 Nov 2009 at 9:45 am #

YUMMMM!!! And THANK YOU for giving everyone the lowdown on ‘espresso’!! :)

8. Sue (London, ON) on 16 Nov 2009 at 10:07 am #

I love Brussels Sprouts any and all ways but no one else in my family will touch them. My husband loves coleslaw and I think I’ll make this and see if he notices!!

9. gwendolyn (Patent and the Pantry) on 16 Nov 2009 at 1:51 pm #

Ok, even *I* the brussels sprouts hater is tempted to try this. So, well, good job!

10. gwendolyn (Patent and the Pantry) on 16 Nov 2009 at 1:59 pm #

oh dear. Grammar fail. Should have been: Ok, even I, the Brussels sprouts hater, *am* tempted to try this.

11. Barb on 16 Nov 2009 at 3:49 pm #

Things do have a way of catching up with you. Good going on eating your veggies and trying to forget about your past routine.

12. menu plan monday ~ november 16, 2009 | Christmas Notebook on 16 Nov 2009 at 4:24 pm #

[…] Rosemary Mustard Chicken Brussels Sprout Slaw with Maple Pecans cornbread sliced sweet and sour […]

13. thepinkpeppercorn on 16 Nov 2009 at 5:03 pm #

mmm! I LOVE brussels sprouts like this!!! Odd how I wouldn’t touch ‘em as a kid…

14. Lauren on 16 Nov 2009 at 6:36 pm #

Dreaming about these flavours! Sounds so fantastic =D.

15. tara on 16 Nov 2009 at 7:48 pm #

My husband and I adore Brussels sprouts, and we don’t give the boys a choice in the matter – thus far, it’s worked. I saw this recipe and am thrilled to have your take on it.

I read this while eating cheese and crackers. I got your back.

16. Kate on 17 Nov 2009 at 7:12 am #

Triple bonus learning for me… I love brussels sprouts, never tried them like a slaw or dressed like a salad and never knew how to make maple glazed nut garnishes for salads. I love nuts in my veggies.
    I’ve learned 3 new things already today… I am good for the next two days ;)

17. Lindsey on 17 Nov 2009 at 9:29 am #

I made this yesterday. It was really good. I added 3 cloves of minced garlic for the taste and added health benefit. Thanks for inspiring me to serve my family such a healthy dish!

18. ross on 19 Nov 2009 at 1:44 pm #

Hi Julia, did your mom try the recipe at last? :) I will certainly give it a try, I am not a big fan but yesterday I was at the supermarket and the BSs looked gorgeous and I fantasized on trying them slightly bleached in hot water and vinegar before eating them so they would lose some of their bitterness. Your recipe has a nice bittersweet twist that I think would take the best out of the little monsters:)

19. ross on 19 Nov 2009 at 1:44 pm #

sorry Julie, I mistyped you into a “Julia”…:P

20. Sophie on 22 Nov 2009 at 4:31 am #

oooh,…another grand recipe!! Just so many lovely flavours beautifully combined!!

MMMMMMMMMMMM,….

21. Digesting 2009 | dinner with Julie on 01 Jan 2010 at 2:29 pm #

[…] Brussels Sprout Slaw with Grainy Mustard Vinaigrette & Maple Pecans […]

22. Angela on 18 Jan 2010 at 6:02 pm #

I made this, and not only did my veg-hating hubby eat it, he went back for seconds. And THEN, get this – he had MORE for lunch the next day! Voluntarily! OMG. That’s one successful veg. Thank You!

23. Salad #4 Brussels Sprouts Coleslaw with Candied Nuts - talkinginallcaps.com on 10 Mar 2014 at 6:34 pm #

[…] salad would also be good topped with maple pecans like Julie did or bits of […]

24. Foodie Friday: Summertime is Slaw Time on 10 Jul 2014 at 10:05 pm #

[…] Brussels Spout Slaw (use olive oil instead of canola oil in recipe): http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2009/11/15/brussels-sprout-slaw-maple-pecans/ Tifferz’ Broccoli Slaw: 1 bag broccoli slaw mix 1 red bell pepper, chopped 2 green onions, […]

25. igrow low level laser therapy on 20 Aug 2014 at 9:34 pm #

Ear deformities, especially in children can become a target for the less caring children resulting in the child being ridiculed and teased.
    Eventually this can cause hair thinning or patches of bald spots.
    Remember, the foaming action of regular shampoos and
    detergents is for looks only.

my blog: igrow low level laser therapy

26. boca raton ray pete the plumber reviews on 24 Aug 2014 at 2:43 pm #

The kitchen is used more than any other room in the house, therefore an inviting and well laid-out
    kitchen is instrumental in reducing stress and streamlining
    your life. The slurry was so thick, that the drain water only had about a quarter inch opening to pass through.
    However, you could lessen the financial burden by insisting that the plumber you have called to
    save the day locates the cheapest parts he or she can possibly
    find.

Here is my page :: boca raton ray pete the plumber reviews

27. cold laser hair therapy reviews on 11 Sep 2014 at 7:58 am #

Much less pleasant but equally essential is understanding
    expertise these kinds of as cleansing dentures,
    feeding individuals, having temperatures and measuring catheter output, all of which totally get ready students
    for the expertise evaluation test. main light based permanent
    hair removal technique for men. Remember, the foaming action of regular shampoos and detergents is for looks only.

Also visit my webpage :: cold laser hair therapy reviews