Jaden, Shauna and I Cook it Slow on Good Bite!

As you know, it’s one of the most well-used small appliances in my kitchen. I’m not a g0-go-gadget sort of girl, but I do love my Crock Pot.

Shauna shares her Beef Bourguignon recipe, and Jaden shows us how to make Jambalaya.

Me, when the slow cooker is plugged in I have a hard time not making pulled pork.

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

1- 2 to 3 lb pork rib roast or shoulder, or two pork tenderloins (which are leaner)
salt & pepper
canola or olive oil, for cooking
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped (no need to peel them – optional)
2 stalks celery, chopped (optional)
1 bottle dark beer, root beer or apple cider/juice
1 cup barbecue sauce (or to taste)
soft buns
creamy coleslaw, for serving with (optional)

Season the pork on all sides with salt and pepper. Set a skillet over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of oil and brown the meat on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate. Add the vegetables to the pan and cook for a few minutes, until starting to turn golden on the edges (if you don’t have time for this, you could stick them directly into the slow cooker, but caramelizing them a bit will add more flavour).

Put the vegetables in the bottom of the slow cooker, and top with the pork. Pour some of the beer into the skillet and swirl it around, scraping up any flavourful browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, and then pour it into the slow cooker. Pour the rest of the beer the pork and vegetables as well.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Remove the meat from the slow cooker and set it aside. Strain the vegetables and keep the sauce (alternatively, you could blend the lot in a blender or food processor for a thicker sauce), skim as much fat as possible from the surface and set aside. Put the meat back into the slow cooker and shred with a fork, discarding any chunks of fat you come across; moisten with the reserved liquid and add the barbecue sauce.

Set the slow cooker to warm to serve from; load onto soft buns and top with cole slaw if desired.

One Year Ago: Lemongrass Buttermilk Pie

pixel Jaden, Shauna and I Cook it Slow on Good Bite!
button print gry20 Jaden, Shauna and I Cook it Slow on Good Bite!

January 07 2010 09:24 pm | good bite

13 Responses to “Jaden, Shauna and I Cook it Slow on Good Bite!”

1. H-woman on 07 Jan 2010 at 10:10 pm #

You forgot the pickles! When I was in the Southern US, bah-be que was served on a bun, with coleslaw and topped with hamburger sliced pickles. YUM!

H =)

2. bellini valli on 08 Jan 2010 at 5:04 am #

The crock pot is good for some things so it does have it’s place in the kitchen. I made a type of pulled pork Mexican dish that was amazing cookied in my slow cooker.

3. Alicen on 08 Jan 2010 at 5:21 am #

I love pulled pork in the slow cooker but I always make it with a packaged BBQ Pork slow cooker seasoning packet. I should try it this way :)

4. Ellen on 08 Jan 2010 at 7:40 am #

Julie, you looked radiant on that little post! You have an amazing energy in front of the camera. You outshone the food!

5. Lana in South Mountain (ON) on 08 Jan 2010 at 8:37 am #

I just want to second what Ellen said.
    What a gorgeous photo of you, Julie!
    xo

6. Robyn in Mountain (Ontario that is) on 08 Jan 2010 at 8:49 am #

Love the look of the pulled pork recipe, Julie! I’m going to give it a try. I went to goodbite.com and aslo saw your lentil curry recipe. Does it matter what kind of lentils are used? I have some organic green lentils in the panty, but have also seen a recipe using red lentils. What’s the diff?
    Just wondering, why aren’t you making the recipes on goodbite.com? It would be so much more enjoyable :-)
    Cheers!

7. tara on 08 Jan 2010 at 12:09 pm #

My husband is a pulled-pork aficionado from way back; nothing makes him happier to go alongside a beer and football.

You three are such gems; you just light up the screen.

8. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite on 08 Jan 2010 at 1:06 pm #

This looks like a wonderful recipe – am bookmarking it to try in the next little while. I love my slow cooker!

9. Barb on 08 Jan 2010 at 2:34 pm #

My slow cooker has been sitting on the shelf waiting for this one. It’s time

10. eroica on 08 Jan 2010 at 6:53 pm #

My favourite slow cooker recipes are the ones that don’t require first pulling out a skillet to brown everything.

11. JulieVR on 08 Jan 2010 at 7:23 pm #

You can cook any slow cooker recipe that way, by just tossing it all into the slow cooker and turning it on, but browning it first adds a ton of flavour. This is why CrockPot came up with a slow cooker with an insert you can crank up high and brown right in the pot before turning it down, lidding it and letting it cook. Of course most people don’t have that particular one, which is why you pull your skillet out. Totally optional, but I think worth the extra five minutes or so!

12. Lynn on 14 Jun 2010 at 10:17 am #

Hi Julie, I’m going to make this for this Father’s Day. If using pork tenderloin do you have to lessen the cooking time?

13. pulled porkrecept on 20 Jul 2013 at 4:23 am #

Heya i am somebody in charge of here. I stumbled upon this kind of board i to uncover It genuinely handy & it helped me outside significantly. I hope to provide anything all over again as well as assist other people as if you made it easier for my family.