Everyone, meet the Blog Aid Cookbook.

Blog Aid Cover SC2 1024x502 Everyone, meet the Blog Aid Cookbook.

(Click the cover to enlarge.)

It’s done. It’s done. It’s totally done. It’s really, fully done. The combing and the fawning and the spell-checking and the Cheezie-eating and the cross-eyed-going dragged on for an extra day or so, but we managed to upload it at approximately 4:53 pm (which, it eerily turns out, was the exact time of the earthquake on January 12th) and finally LET IT GO. At which point it came back, with file issues… we went across the street for spaghetti and meatballs and then came back to hack away at the pdf and replace some images that weren’t cutting the mustard. What was supposed to be a brief touching up this morning followed by a triumphant upload by noon stretched out to a 14 hour marathon (can’t believe it? neither can we), at which point we REALLY AND TRULY FINALLY got it gone, and then the ordering system set up. Before midnight, even. Barely.

And now commences the press release-sending, hand-wringing and order-status-checking.

What now? I’m going to Disneyland! Not really. Maybe Swiss Chalet.

There’s still a glitch in the system – my overtired self can’t quite determine how to get both the hardcover and softcover version onto one ordering page – right now they are on two pages – but I couldn’t wait any longer and it leaked out on Twitter soon after midnight, so here I am, offering up the goods. You can order the book, and preview it – the hardcover version ($50) is here, and the softcover version ($25) is here. They are both the same book, save for the cover – 7″x7″ and 110 full-colour pages, with photos of each and every recipe. I’m hoping that with the light of day, when my mental capacities return somewhat, I can figure out (or have someone tell me) if/how to put both versions on one ordering page.

But yes – we squeaked in under three weeks – from concept to completion – and there were so many on board helping make that possible. Cathryn Ironside. Beth Snyder. George Brookman and the fine folks at West Canadian Graphics. Jim and the guys at Blurb.com (some of whom are apparently from Lonely Planet). And everyone who cheered us on, sent rah-rah emails, brought lasagna.

I’m so proud of all who contributed to this pot of stone soup, so eagerly, generously, selflessly – even while tending to wee ones with a stomach bug or while pregnant and teaching band to dozens of young teenagers. One is at athlete’s village, cooking like crazy in what he calls the biggest kitchen he’s ever seen (and I imagine he’s seen a lot), another is celebrating the launch of her first book, yet another is in high school. I love that this project has brought together such a diverse group of people with a common love of food.

Hell, I’m going to bring them out again. Let’s hear it for Chef Michael Smith, Dana McCauley, Emily Richards, Catharine from Weelicious, Cheryl from Backseat Gourmet, Jeannette of Everybody Likes Sandwiches, Nishta from Blue Jean Gourmet, Lauren of Celiac Teen, Charmian from Christie’s Corner, Shaina from Food for my Family, Marisa of Food in Jars, Shauna and Danny from Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef, Lauren from Healthy Delicious, Alice from Savory Sweet Life, Tara from Seven Spoons, Jess of Sweet Amandine, Helen from Tartelette, Gail from The Pink Peppercorn, Pierre of Kitchen Scraps, Tim from Lottie and Doof, Tea from Tea & Cookies, Jamie from My Baking Addiction, Lori from Recipe Girl, Melissa from The Traveler’s Lunchbox, Brooke of Tongue-n-Cheeky and Aimee of Under the High Chair.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

pixel Everyone, meet the Blog Aid Cookbook.
button print gry20 Everyone, meet the Blog Aid Cookbook.

February 04 2010 01:06 am | leftovers

70 Responses to “Everyone, meet the Blog Aid Cookbook.”

1. Aimee on 04 Feb 2010 at 5:10 am #

Hooray!!

Ordering a stack right now!

Fantastic job Julie. I feel like flying over there to give you a hug and a back rub.

Cheers to a job well done–it’s SO beautiful.

2. linda on 04 Feb 2010 at 5:26 am #

found you through tartlette…this is an amazing outreach & i for one will be purchasing this cookbook. kudos are well deserved.
    your generosity of spirit & heart are amazing…

i hope that the press picks up on this wonderful “story” & that you sell the heck out of these cookbooks!

all the best.

3. Brigitte on 04 Feb 2010 at 6:47 am #

Well, I just ordered my book…THANK YOU1

4. Alicen on 04 Feb 2010 at 6:59 am #

Is there a Canadian site to order the books from?

5. Cheryl on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:01 am #

Congratulations, Julie!

6. Lori @ RecipeGirl on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:04 am #

I’m so excited… can’t wait to order & encourage my readers to order it too! I’ll have to wait until next week to share on my blog but I’ll begin chatting it up on Twitter. THANK YOU & EVERYONE who worked so hard on it. You’re fabulous and you should feel very proud!

7. Charmian @Christie's Corner on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:05 am #

Very exciting! I can’t wait to get my copy of this!

Thanks to all who contributed and worked so hard on this project. You are all amazing!

8. Jan (Family Bites) on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:14 am #

Wow…I can’t believe you all did it (well, I can because I’ve been following you, but I can’t – ya know what I mean). Anyways, I’m ordering and will encourage my readers to do so as well. Congrats! I hope you have a nice relaxing weekend ahead of you.

9. Jess on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:22 am #

Let’s hear it for YOU. xo.

10. Kathy on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:35 am #

You deserve a vacation! Huge rounds of applause to all who participated. While I don’t have the biggest readership on my blog, I did blog about it (and sent a trackback to this post, but in the event it doesn’t work, here’s the link: http://www.bignoise-enterprises.com/blog/?p=541)

I’ll be ordering my copies today.

11. MamaB on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:39 am #

You’re amazing. Well done! And good on those who contributed.

12. bellini valli on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:41 am #

Comgratulations Julie. You did it:D

13. Marisa on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:43 am #

Julie, it is beautiful. You have done an absolutely incredible job! I’m ordering a copy right now.

14. Tina on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:55 am #

What a great-looking book! I’ve just ordered some for gifts and I”ll spread the word around here. Wonderful job!!! See ya on the 24th!

15. Bonnie on 04 Feb 2010 at 8:00 am #

Julie – I think it’s just WONDERFUL and you deserve HUGE congratulations and thanks for this project. But I was kind of shocked that the $25 cost is US Dollars. I thought this was a Canadian project. I see the selling site has other currencies but sadly no Canadian. Maybe an oversight?

16. JulieVR on 04 Feb 2010 at 8:00 am #

Aw you guys. Sniff. I just woke up (painfully) to find 65 sales already, before 8 am! The dollars are rolling in. Thanks so much.

Alicen & Bonnie – It’s a worldwide effort, and about half our contributors live in the US – the beauty of the internet is that websites can be hosted anywhere and be universal! Unfortunately because this project came together so quickly Blurb couldn’t set up a CDN funds payment system (they are working on it! it just takes more time), but the website is FULLY able to take orders from everywhere in the world – including Canada – I’ve made two orders myself and it’s simple, the only thing is the amount comes off your credit card in US dollars instead of Canadian. (Which isn’t really much different right now!) They have the option of shipping to Canada and have all the provinces etc in the system, so it’s not at all difficult! just like a Canadian site, but without the dineros… they are working on that aspect of ordering though – it’s coming this spring!

If you want another option, I’ll be talking to Calgary Co-op stores soon to make arrangements to sell them in their stores, so stay tuned for that option.

17. Morgan on 04 Feb 2010 at 8:11 am #

I just ordered a copy!!! I’m so excited to get it in the mail! This is such a smart and thoughtful way to get funds raised!

18. Erica B. on 04 Feb 2010 at 8:18 am #

Yaaaaaaay! Bravo to everyone involved! Going to order mine right now & post on facebook :)

19. Betty C on 04 Feb 2010 at 8:37 am #

Congratulations Julie et all!

20. Janeen on 04 Feb 2010 at 8:48 am #

My book is on it way. Congrats!

21. emma w on 04 Feb 2010 at 9:07 am #

i just keep looking over, it’s beautiful and thinking Holy Crap that must have been a lot of work. You are a dynamo! Congratulations! I will order my book pronto.

22. Jessica on 04 Feb 2010 at 9:49 am #

Awesome! I’ll be ordering several today. Great job to everyone involved for their hard work!

23. Rachael on 04 Feb 2010 at 9:51 am #

I’ve just ordered my three copies. Can’t wait to hear how sales go. Thanks to all who made this happen!!

24. Pat on 04 Feb 2010 at 10:08 am #

AMAZING! Way to go Julie and gang!
    Just ordered my copy. Thanks so much.

25. Sue (London, ON) on 04 Feb 2010 at 10:09 am #

I just ordered 3 books. Easy Peasy! I did a sneak peak before I ordered and Oh Julie! It looks beautiful! Can’t wait to get it in my mailbox next week. Amazing job. Well Done!

26. Jennie on 04 Feb 2010 at 10:36 am #

An American in Montreal at University…its things like this that make me so happy I came to study in Canada! Congratulations, I love reading your warm, honest and down to earth blog that reminds me why we eat with joy, sometimes with abandon, and always that food is a way to unite, come together, and reflect on how very lucky we are.

27. Beverley M on 04 Feb 2010 at 10:37 am #

Yay! I’ve posted links on my facebook; will order from home tonight.

How much of the cost of the book is being matched by Blurb? The full $25/50, or the “proceeds” after you subtract the physical cost of the book?

28. Beverley M on 04 Feb 2010 at 10:43 am #

PS I love the back cover design!

29. Allison on 04 Feb 2010 at 10:44 am #

Hi Julie,

Congratulations on your hard work! If you need a retail outlet to sell the book in Calgary, let us know! Many of our customers read your blog or listen to you on the radio.

30. Kathryn on 04 Feb 2010 at 10:46 am #

About to place my order, but just wanted to say how inspiring you are.
    Thank-you for caring enough to take this on and to complete it in a shockingly short amount of time.

31. Amanda on 04 Feb 2010 at 10:59 am #

Hooray! I just ordered mine! Congrats on getting it done!

32. Beverley M on 04 Feb 2010 at 11:39 am #

Hey, you should create a poster (PDF, letter sized) that we can print out and post around to let people know it exists

33. LisaMer on 04 Feb 2010 at 11:46 am #

Phenomenal! There are really no words to describe what you and your supporters have done. Amazing!

I’ve posted this on my Facebook, too! I hope it generates a few sales (besides my own, of course!).

34. Dandy on 04 Feb 2010 at 12:08 pm #

Wooo hoo! Now go take a nap, and have a glass of champagne, and relax. You soo deserve it.

35. Nicole on 04 Feb 2010 at 12:16 pm #

Great job Julie! I’m excited to receive my copy and enjoy all your and your partners hard work! Be proud, great project for a tragic cause.

36. rea on 04 Feb 2010 at 12:38 pm #

congrats! now you can sit back and watch the counter spin.

37. Karen on 04 Feb 2010 at 1:10 pm #

2 words: WELL DONE!!!

38. robyn on 04 Feb 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Hurrah! Congrats to you and all your hard work! Crazy that an idea can turn into something so huge.

Just a thought…if you end up paying the exchange and the Canadian amount comes out slightly higher (ever so slightly, as we’re almost at parity) does the CDN government match the higher amount? That would be nice! :)

39. Laurie in Burnaby BC on 04 Feb 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Congratulations on a job well done, Julie. Magnificent achievement! I’m ordering my first one today, the first of several. I don’t care about CAN or US dollars, it all goes to help in Haiti.

Here on the west coast we are (or should be) aware that those pictures could easily be of us. The fault line right off the coast has had massive earthquakes every feww hundred years, the last one being in 1700, so we’re due for one in the next 100 years or so. We might be better prepared than Haiti, but not as well prepared as Kobe was, and look at the devastation there. We’d be needing people to reach out to us if it were us. Doing what we can for Haiti is double for us – helping out fellow human beings and a kind of good Karma for the future of our own corner of the world.

40. Maureen on 04 Feb 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Order is in.
    I put a notice up about it on the Cooking Light forum so hope that brings in some orders too.

41. Sabrina on 04 Feb 2010 at 2:05 pm #

What a great cookbook for such a great cause!

I just ordered mine and posted a link on my blog for others to order! Everyone should have one! :)

42. Rebecca on 04 Feb 2010 at 3:24 pm #

Just one question – are either of the books coil-bound? Am just trying to decide b/t hardcover or soft cover as I want the one that will best lay flat on my counter.

43. Reith on 04 Feb 2010 at 3:59 pm #

You are an inspiring lady. I’m going to tell everyone I know that they have to buy one. xo (and thanks for the hat!!)

44. Jessica on 04 Feb 2010 at 4:11 pm #

I have been following this blog for a long time, this is the first time I think I have ever posted…you are truly an inspiration. Thank-you for this! Cannot wait to get my copy.

45. Denise on 04 Feb 2010 at 4:28 pm #

I ordered my book…I am so excited! It looks great Julie! Well done!

46. pauline on 04 Feb 2010 at 5:06 pm #

I have ordered 5. Wow Julie and all involved looks great. Will pass it on to all I know to order a book.

47. Beverley M on 04 Feb 2010 at 6:43 pm #

Hi Julie,

Would you mind sharing how much is being donated from s/c versus h/c? I’m undecided whether to buy one hard cover for myself, or get two soft covers and give one as a gift. The amount that is being donated (and then sextupled!) will help me decide.

48. Yoni Freedhoff on 04 Feb 2010 at 6:54 pm #

Congratulations on a great accomplishment Julie!

49. ilovealbertabeets on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:16 pm #

I just read on Lottie + Doof that you have raised 10,000 so far. Wow. Great work.

50. jenn in niagara on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:30 pm #

wow what an adventure you and your bloggers have had the past few weeks. i am amazed that it was completed in just 3 weeks! well done! the cover looks spectacular! cant wait to order and own one of these remarkable cookbooks. cooking for a cause!
    take care, thankyou to you and your fellow bloggers and helpers in your project, you guys make me proud to be a canadian! creative and caring!
    jenn

51. JulieVR on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:30 pm #

Rebecca – no, no coil binding – the softcover is a traditional binding (perfect bound, it’s called) and the hardcover has a wraparound paper dust jacket.

Robyn – yes, when the money gets transferred from US to CDN funds it will mean even more goes to the aid organizations.

Beverley – the proceeds refer to money raised beyond the print costs (all of the contributors/artists/designers donated their work), and for this cause Blurb and WCG are each matching those proceeds up to $10,000 – So for a $25 softcover $15.15 goes to Haiti – for a $50 hardcover $54.15 goes to Haiti. When the Cdn government then matches those dollars, that’s $30.30 for a softcover, $108.30 for a hardcover up until February 12th.

52. Anne on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:48 pm #

Like the idea of the poster I could put some up at work… Congrats on a job well done 3 weeks from concept to completion you did very well… I hope you can get some rest now.

53. Donna on 04 Feb 2010 at 7:50 pm #

Just ordered my copies.
    Great job Julie and friends.

54. sue.d on 04 Feb 2010 at 8:47 pm #

Beautiful work Julie, and Cathryn and all contributors. What an amazing achievement!

55. Laur on 04 Feb 2010 at 8:49 pm #

It’s so beautiful. I can’t wait to see it in person.

56. Beverley M on 04 Feb 2010 at 9:05 pm #

“When the Cdn government then matches those dollars, that’s $30.30 for a softcover, $108.30 for a hardcover up until February 12th.”

Wow, that settles it then! One HC all for me for $108 to Haiti rather than $60 to Haiti for two soft covers. I wanted a HC anyway :)

57. Beverley M on 04 Feb 2010 at 9:19 pm #

I seem to be going for most frequent commenter tonight :) You should add a link to the books to http://dinnerwithjulie.com/bookstore/ !

I’ve ordered my HC book! I wish I could check on sales progress :)

58. margo on 04 Feb 2010 at 9:21 pm #

What beautiful work on the cover, and inside (judging from the preview!) Amazing, sensitive choice of art, for such a special project. Thank you for doing something that each of us can share in the giving and the joy. That we get to have our own copy is such a gift to us! I need to add that the ordering process was about as simple and straightforward as it gets for online ordering. That’s nice, too. Thank you all!

59. Cory Lievers on 04 Feb 2010 at 9:26 pm #

I ordered mine today. Can’t wait to get it. :D

60. jane on 05 Feb 2010 at 7:35 am #

beautiful design! just wondering if you could tell us what font was used for the front cover.

61. Erica B. on 05 Feb 2010 at 4:47 pm #

jane: multitalented 1canoe2 did the cover work I’m pretty sure that’s a custom font http://www.etsy.com/shop/1canoe2 :)

62. Deirdre on 05 Feb 2010 at 5:13 pm #

you are truly amazing! thanks for all you do! I will definitely be getting one of these.

63. JulieVR on 05 Feb 2010 at 5:41 pm #

Thanks Erica! Yes it is. She did it by hand.

64. Jeanne @ Cooksister! on 08 Feb 2010 at 4:22 am #

Wow – and well done you!! Sorry that I never got to send a recipe – my internet access last week in the mountains was really patchy and I just did not really do any of the online things I hoped to do. Congrats on your fantastic effort though!

65. Recipes for Haiti » France Photography Blog on 08 Feb 2010 at 1:46 pm #

[...] Softcover available here -or- Hardcover available here. Further details here. [...]

66. Only Here for the Food » Blog Archive » Food Notes for February 8, 2010 on 08 Feb 2010 at 10:56 pm #

[...] to Julie van Rosendaal for putting together the Blog Aid cookbook for Haitian relief. 27 food bloggers contributed recipes and photos to the wonderful book, which, from the preview, [...]

67. Megan Gordon on 08 Feb 2010 at 11:58 pm #

Alright! Beautiful idea, and I can’t believe you got it together so quickly. Looking forward to checking it out/supporting such an amazing cause,

68. Blog Aid – A way to help Haiti with a fabulous cookbook « wgwines.com on 11 Feb 2010 at 11:16 pm #

[...] visit Blog Aid to find out how you can buy a copy of this cookbook and help the people of [...]

69. Pamela Leiper on 11 Mar 2010 at 5:08 pm #

How do I order some copies????

70. minato-alvin on 20 Oct 2010 at 11:19 pm #

I always like to cook, it’s ma passion n hobby. That’s why i once used to overview this kinda books, n comparatively yours is awesome.
    N thank u from the deepest heart you all were beside Haiti n its sufferings.
    In fact it’s still nop free from the crisis created from the disaster.
    I think at this moment HAITI really needs help to be rebuild.Outgoing Haitian President René Préval has set the presidential elections for Nov. 28, 2010.
    According to ma justification,
    Charles Henri Baker (born June 3, 1955) should be under consideration as a deserving personality,
    who can supply the best support to this contribution.
    Thank you.