Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies

Puddle+cookie+1 Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies

Not surprisingly, the majority of food consumption in our house today occurred during the gold medal hockey game (yay Canada! that goes for the women’s hockey team, too) and was served from our coffee table. What a game. What a couple weeks. For Vancouverites, tomorrow is going to be the morning after the four years before. (By the way, if you’re in the Vancouver area and are up before 7am tomorrow, I’ll on CBC radio discussing that very topic! Having been through the same in Calgary in ’88 and all, I guess I’m somewhat of an expert on what to do when you wake up in the morning and the Olympics aren’t coming anymore.)

My mom brought a Hunter’s Pie, filled with lean elk simmered in dark ale gravy with mushrooms, carrots and pearl onions, from Wapiti Ways.

Wapati+pie+2 Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies

Ali made Greek salad and garlicky guacamole and I did up some potato skins – not that I ate much of anything after filling up on half a dozen chocolate puddle cookies, warm from the oven.

And wow, did I make fast friends with these. OK, favourite cookie might be a little extreme – I could never be faithful to any one cookie. I’m fickle. I have food moods. But although I can’t promise to be monogamous, I think it’s safe to say I’ll love the chocolate puddle cookie for the rest of my life.

I had seen them on 101 Cookbooks, which triggered a memory of a similar cookie I used to make a decade ago. Within days an email came from my mom in Tofino, raving about a particular nutty chocolate cookie they kept cleaning SoBo out of, and her description matched them exactly. So since they’re freshly home from a few weeks away and came over to watch the game, I made a batch. They’re as simple to make as any cookie – you stir together icing sugar, cocoa and salt, add chopped nuts, egg whites and vanilla, drop in glops and bake.

Dry+ingred Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies
Walnuts Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies

They don’t come across as meringues, and aren’t as ridiculously sweet as one would think they’d be with 4 cups of icing sugar. They were crackly on the outside but wonderfully chewy and intensely dark, likely due to my Bernard Callebaut cocoa – completely devoid of butter but loaded with nuts (read: healthy fats) – SoBo uses pecans, my Mom recalls – but I jammed them with nice fresh walnuts. Next on my to-do list: pecans or toasted hazelnuts. Trust me: make these.

Puddle+cookie+2 Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies

Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies
adapted from 101 Cookbooks

3 cups walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts
4 cups icing sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
4 large egg whites
1 Tbsp. good vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F.

Toast your walnuts or pecans, cool them and roughly chop them. In a large bowl, stir together the icing sugar, cocoa and salt. Add the nuts, then stir in the egg whites and vanilla. Stir until well combined.

Line a baking sheet with parchment and drop the batter in large mounds (about 2 Tbsp. each – I used a heaped soup spoon) spacing them well away from each other – no more than 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes – they will spread, puff, crack on top, get glossy and then turn matte. Slide the cookies on the parchment off the sheet onto a cooling rack and let them cool.

Makes 18 large cookies.

pixel Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies
button print gry20 Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies

February 28 2010 10:52 pm | cookies & squares

29 Responses to “Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies”

1. the other Al on 28 Feb 2010 at 10:57 pm #

OK, I had your cookies at the neighbors(Mike brought them) OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!
    To anybody reading this blog….MAKE THESE COOKIES!
    Oh ya, and yeh Canada!

2. Erica B. on 01 Mar 2010 at 12:07 am #

Whadda nail-biter! Yay Team Canada!

OMG Those cookies… look like the kind of thing I can only make with LOTS of people to share them with!I have a big bag of pecans in the pantry – I’ll have to make them for the Oscars. Thanks Julie (o:

3. Erica B. on 01 Mar 2010 at 12:09 am #

PS: COO LOO COO COO COO COO COO COO! right back atcha lol

4. Rose on 01 Mar 2010 at 1:03 am #

What a game is right!!!! Being in Vancouver the last two weeks has been magical. All the stuff you’ve heard about great spirit, friendliness etc. has been so true. It’s just been a happy, friendly, generous and joyous two week party. I think I’ll celebrate with those cookies…

Rose

5. Katrina on 01 Mar 2010 at 1:48 am #

These look wonderful! SO dark, mmm…

A clarification: the recipe lists 1 cup icing sugar, but above you mention they have 4 cups of icing sugar? Can you let us know which you used?

Thanks!

PS Made your chicken thighs with lentils and barley, but used yellow split peas instad of lentils (it was all I had). Way tasty, but maybe I needed to cook it on high? More liquid than your pic, and the peas were a little crunchy. But dead easy, and will definitely make again.

6. BethieofVA on 01 Mar 2010 at 3:57 am #

You mention 4 cups icing sugar, but on one is listed. I just wanted to check before I make these. They look fantastic!

7. Lana in South Mountain (ON) on 01 Mar 2010 at 6:31 am #

Nope- not sick of the RAH RAH CANADA! We are due for some good old national pride!
    These cookies look wonderful and although I can’t send anything with nuts to school with the girls, I just might make them anyway~~
    No WONDER I can’t seem to lose weight….

8. Jan (Family Bites) on 01 Mar 2010 at 6:33 am #

It was a great afternoon wasn’t it? I’ve had these cookies on my radar so I’m happy to hear they were a great success. I’ll be making them soon.

9. JulieVR on 01 Mar 2010 at 7:11 am #

OOPS! sorry -thanks for catching that guys! 4 cups of icing sugar, yes. Late night post-game posting!

10. stacey snacks on 01 Mar 2010 at 7:35 am #

These look so evil and good, I am making them today!

11. krista on 01 Mar 2010 at 8:08 am #

yes these are great cookies-I make a similar version. The great thing is they are naturally gluten free, a big deal when you have celiac disease.

12. miss v on 01 Mar 2010 at 11:51 am #

seriously… should bob & doug/rush not come out at the end and sing Take Off?!?

have filed cookie recipe until easter… when my self imposed chocolate ban has been lifted!

13. Tina on 01 Mar 2010 at 12:54 pm #

Much (belated) thanks for the doggie bag from Wed, Julie. Wish I could have been there; Leah & Val had a great time. I made a fabulous lentil/barley/brown rice salad using the bison, beets and goat cheese, along with some roasted sweet potato and a dijon vinaigrette. Yum!

14. Barb on 01 Mar 2010 at 2:15 pm #

I duly swear, to make these cookies, as soon as I possibly can. :)

15. robyn on 01 Mar 2010 at 4:02 pm #

So other than the huge amount of sugar, these cookies are actually not that bad for you! Do you think if I reduced the sugar they would come out the same? Or do you really need 4 cups to balance out the dry ingredients?

16. Donna on 01 Mar 2010 at 4:15 pm #

Those cookies look wonderful – but I can’t possibly rationalize making 18 cookies that contain 4 cups of sugar. I wonder how Splenda (whole or part) would work.
    (non diabetics could indulge in them- have one for me!)

17. Forage Saskatoon Berry Cobbler (and a Puddle Cookie P.S.) | dinner with Julie on 01 Mar 2010 at 9:42 pm #

[...] About those puddle cookies. I should have touched on the subject of sugar yesterday – specifically those 4 scary cups of [...]

18. B. on 01 Mar 2010 at 11:14 pm #

We make these for passover all the time! They’re great and are widely available in French bakeries. We use the Payard’s bakery recipe, which is easily found online.

However, last night I tried to half the recipe and the puddles turned out too puddly…really wide-spread and no height. They still tasted great, and were rolled into balls to become a truffle filling. Julie, any idea what could have happened?

19. Cheryl Arkison on 02 Mar 2010 at 12:14 pm #

Damn,and Morgan just used the 4 egg whites I had in the fridge. Next time I make ice cream…

PS Those Hunter Pies are amazing!

20. molly on 02 Mar 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Man, I’m starving just LOOKING at this post. Don’t get me started on those mudpuddles, again…

21. Sprout on 02 Mar 2010 at 4:28 pm #

I was just going to post to ask what happened to my cookies when I read B’s post – I had the exact opposite problem. I also halved the recipe but mine weren’t puddly enough – they stayed in the ball that I scooped them out in. I squished them down with the back of a spoon at 13 minutes and baked them another 2 minutes and they came out great (and they are delicious). Maybe it’s the size of the eggs that affects the puddliness??

22. JulieVR on 02 Mar 2010 at 4:32 pm #

B and Sprout – I have no idea what happened! Smaller egg whites might have been a factor – or perhaps a miscalculation along the way? Some recipes just don’t like to be messed with. Funny that you had opposite problems!

23. Laur on 02 Mar 2010 at 7:09 pm #

Oh man, I never seem to use the part of the egg that gets separated out. Think I could use two complete eggs instead of 4 egg whites? Maybe I’ll just go ahead and try and report back….

24. Soup for Spock | dinner with Julie on 28 Apr 2010 at 9:20 am #

[...] wee jars of Brassica mustard and a jar of Saucy Ladies spiced pickled beets. I made a batch of chocolate walnut puddle cookies, having heard that Leonard didn’t want any bread. (He ate three – and said they were [...]

25. Deborah on 28 Apr 2010 at 10:43 am #

Julie, your Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies sound incredible BUT I live in Mexico and can’t get parchment paper here – is there anything else I can use like waxed paper or aluminum foil??? Thanks much. P.S. I love your blog!!

26. Sagi on 05 Jul 2011 at 7:54 pm #

That addresses several of my cnoecnrs actually.

27. Tammy on 06 Sep 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Made these and posted them on my You Tube channel as a tutorial. Linked back to you for the recipe!
    Thank you! I really loved them!

28. Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies: Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies | No Empty Chairs on 03 Dec 2011 at 6:51 am #

[...] Chocolate Walnut Puddle Cookies ——————-(adapted from Dinner with Julie) [...]

29. 0rz.tw on 08 Dec 2013 at 7:42 am #

Freshwater poles come fishing rods 9ft in
    poundage limits from 6-12 and are made from high quality graphite
    with flexibility in a number of reels designed for trolling in deep waters,
    casting or fly-fishing. That’s a great thing about BASS.
    However, I have chosen to experiment a fishing rods 9ft little to see if no fish were there
    too.