Maple (or Honey) Bran Waffles and Lunch at Local 201

Bran+waffles Maple (or Honey) Bran Waffles and Lunch at Local 201

We were supposed to be in Jasper this weekend, Ali and I and the kids – I was set to be a presenter at the Pajama Party at the Jasper Park Lodge, but a severe snowfall warning and poor winter driving conditions prevented us from hitting the highway Friday afternoon. As I deliberated, stressed out and monitoring the AMA road reports, W sat on my lap and I pondered a spot on his face that I thought was a scratch or bug bite. He had a few along his hairline, too. When we decided to abort the mission he took off his clothes, as he tends to do, revealing about a dozen little red freckles around his midriff. Ali looked at him and said “W has chicken pox!” (You may recall that Ben had shingles a few weeks ago – the same virus, reappearing in a new manifestation of itself, but still transferrable as the Pox.)

We stayed home. The boys had a sleepover. To ease the pain of not getting to go to the cool hotel in the mountains with the swimming pool, I made waffles. (This also eased the pain of being roused at 7 on a Saturday morning. Somewhat.)

I forgot to mix up my usual (I say as if this is a weekly occurence) yeast-raised waffle batter the night before, and so this morning pulled a book off the shelf in search of a waffle recipe that required little energy, and no beating and folding in of egg whites. The only one that fit the bill sounded delicious, too – Honey Bran Waffles, which I made with maple syrup. They were nutty, toasty without being heavy or gummy (as some grainy things tend to be), and nicely sweet (although I turned down the syrup a bit), allowing the boys to eat triangle wedges as is in front of their cartoons, with the maple baked right in. No stickiness. Hallelujah.

(I may have buttered mine. And dribbled over a little extra maple sweetness.)

Bran+waffles+2 Maple (or Honey) Bran Waffles and Lunch at Local 201

Maple Bran Waffles

adapted from The Joy of Cooking

3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4-1/2 cup wheat bran or oat bran
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

In a large bowl, stir together the flours, bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the buttermilk, oil, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla and whisk until well blended.

Preheat your waffle iron and spray it with nonstick spray or brush it with oil. Cook the batter according to the manufacturers directions (I cook about a ladleful in a thick Belgian waffle maker) until golden brown. Keep them warm in a 200F oven while you cook the rest. Makes 6-8 large waffles.

The silver lining to missing out on Jasper (besides having the chance to get up early and make waffles): I got to attend Local 201 – Connecting People in the Local Food Movement. There was an amazing, inspiring lineup of speakers talking about everything from urban agriculture to food policy, urban chickens and beekeeping. It was a smorgasbord.

And of course there was lunch.

Local+201+lunch Maple (or Honey) Bran Waffles and Lunch at Local 201

LOCAL 201 Lunch Menu

Buffalo Horn Ranch Bison Stew
Sylvan Star Gouda Mac and Cheese
Saskatoon Berry Slaw
Green Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
Biscuits with Vital Green Farms Butter
Forage Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Besides the amazing spread, the event gave me plenty to chew on. While monitoring Pox Boy.

pixel Maple (or Honey) Bran Waffles and Lunch at Local 201
button print gry20 Maple (or Honey) Bran Waffles and Lunch at Local 201

March 13 2010 11:20 pm | bread and breakfast

18 Responses to “Maple (or Honey) Bran Waffles and Lunch at Local 201”

1. Laurie in Burnaby BC on 13 Mar 2010 at 11:35 pm #

Hey, Julie, from your twitter: “can someone remind me how to “force” rhubarb?”

Bring it to BC – my rhubarb is nearly ready for the first picking. :)

(grin, duck and run like heck)

2. Trissa on 14 Mar 2010 at 4:59 am #

There doesn’t seem to be a better cure for disappointment than a good waffle – yours looks divine.

3. Carolyn on 14 Mar 2010 at 5:56 am #

I make your recipe for yeast raised waffles every Sunday. I will fit this new one in for next Sunday. Hope W gets better soon!

4. LisaMer on 14 Mar 2010 at 11:20 am #

I’m trying to decide if I want to come rub my children on W to get the pox over with. ;) Only problem is our pending Easter break trip to Regina.

I’m one of those weirdos who doesn’t really like waffles, but I’m dying to make crumpets after your last post!

If W is really suffering, the homeopathic form of the chicken pox virus would probably help a lot!

5. lauren on 14 Mar 2010 at 1:43 pm #

mmmmm, I’ve been loving waffles on the weekends lately. ever tried bran though – that’s going right on the list!

6. Avery on 14 Mar 2010 at 4:41 pm #

My mom wants to raise chickens in her backyard in Inglewood…. think she can get away with it?

7. Erica B. on 14 Mar 2010 at 6:20 pm #

Julie those waffles & lunch both look fantastic. Hope Pox Boy is back to his old self soon!

Avery – I wish your Mum luck but if I remember correctly Calgary still has a bylaw on the books prohibiting backyard livestock…though if her neighbours don’t go calling 311 about the noise or the smell than I’d say maybe.

8. JulieVR on 14 Mar 2010 at 7:17 pm #

There is still a bylaw in place, but the times they are a changin’! Plenty of people do own chickens, and yes it’s a bylaw so a matter of people calling the city to complain.. my sister had them, so your mom should talk to her! Or me. CLUCK (Canadian Liberated Urban Chicken Klub) is meeting with bylaw officers soon – two have court dates set on account of their kept chickens. I think if any communities would be accepting of urban chickens it would be Inglewood and Ramsay!

9. DJ on 14 Mar 2010 at 8:25 pm #

In Edmonton, we have a group called “River City Chickens” who have been meeting with city council regarding keeping chickens in backyards. They will be doing some “test sites” around the city this summer and hopefully it will grow from there!

10. Colleen on 14 Mar 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Ah the chicken pox – I remember it well. Hope W is feeling okay soon. No waffle iron so I doubt I will be making these anytime soon. Chickens – hmmm – I think my dog is a lot of work – won’t be jumping on the chicken bandwagon anytime soon either. What do you do with them when you go on holidays? This could be an idea for a whole new business venture -chicken sitting – I can see it now!! hehe

11. BC Barb on 14 Mar 2010 at 9:36 pm #

Nanaimo BC has passed a bylaw allowing some female livestock (?) provided the lot is a certain size and no complaints from neighbours. Ha!

12. JulieVR on 14 Mar 2010 at 9:47 pm #

Hens are legal in many cities – Victoria, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago and even New York. In Victoria they may be kept as pets as well as for egg production, although the eggs may not be sold. The Niagara Falls bylaw is more specific: maximum 10 chickens; coops must be in the backyard, 7.6 m from the rear property line and 4.6 m from the side lot line. Coops must allow for proper ventilation and for movement of chickens in keeping with good animal husbandry practices. (Roosters aren’t allowed – it’s really the quiet, egg-producing of the species but not the ones who wake us up early in the morning that people are after.)

13. margo on 14 Mar 2010 at 10:46 pm #

We’ve been loving the yeast raised overnight waffles all weekend actually… never put the waffle iron away (feeling a little doughy around the middle, yes!). However I’ve been using the recipe that came with the wonderful waffle iron we got, and next time I’m using yours: lower fat milk, and half as much butter. That smell from yeast waffles cooking is amazing. I’m not a huge waffle fan but these are such a hit!!
    Will have to try the Maple Bran too. thanks!

14. Barb on 15 Mar 2010 at 1:18 pm #

I sometimes think of putting a waffle iron on my wish list but it hasn’t made it there yet. Could you not make this batter into pancakes?

15. molly on 17 Mar 2010 at 8:15 pm #

Oh man, those yeast-raised waffles are the bomb, are they not? This looks like a mighty fine alternative, though. Hope Mr. W is back in the pink (the plain pink, not the polka-dotted variety!)

16. Margaret Almon on 29 Sep 2010 at 6:27 am #

Just made your maple bran waffles–I used honey and oat bran and they were delicious! Now I need to try the overnight yeast waffles–that sounds heavenly.

17. Elisabeth on 18 Feb 2011 at 5:07 pm #

Wonderful! I have this stuff on hand most of the time, now I have another delicious way to put it to use.

18. mrsblocko on 01 Sep 2011 at 5:18 pm #

I made these and wrote about them here. They were super yummy. Thank you for posting the recipe.