Curried Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango

Quinoa+mango+salad Curried Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango

OK, this is a good one. I have little mental capacity left, and am holding on to my reserves in order to get necessary work done before bed, never mind packing for Tofino (we leave tomorrow – I hope), but I can offer up this. (I’ve been up before 5:30 for almost two weeks, and not compensating at bedtime – I feel like I’m 90, with far fewer IQ points. How do people function on no sleep?)

The good news – Ataulfo mangoes are here, which means there’s a case of them ripening on my kitchen counter, and I’m cutting one for W approximately every five minutes. (Ataulfos are the slightly smaller, slimmer, yellow-green mangoes you might start seeing in the produce section – they’re creamier, smoother and lack the sinewy fibers you may associate with the big green-red Haden or Tommy Atkins varieties that are hardier and thus available year-round.) There are a ton of things I’d love to do with them, but I suspect most are destined for a spoon, or W’s Empire Strikes Back bowl. But one did make it into a batch of quinoa salad:

Curried Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango

1 cup quinoa
1-2 ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 red or yellow pepper, chopped
1/4 English cucumber, chopped
2-3 green onions or a chunk of purple onion, chopped
2 cups (packed) baby spinach, torn or sliced (optional)
half a 19 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
handful of torn cilantro (optional)

Dressing:
1/4 cup canola oil
2-4 Tbsp. white wine or white balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. mango chutney, chopped if chunky (optional)
1 tsp. honey
1 tsp. curry powder or mild paste
1/4 tsp. cumin

Rinse quinoa well under cool water in a fine sieve, then cook in a pot of boiling salted water over medium heat until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. (Just like you’d cook pasta.) Drain well, return to the pot, put the lid back on and let it steam – this will produce fluffy quinoa – until cooled.

Combine the oil, vinegar, chutney, honey, curry and cumin in a jar or small bowl and shake or whisk to blend. If you like, season the dressing with salt and pepper.

Put the quinoa, mango, vegetables and beans in a large bowl, drizzle with dressing and toss until well coated. Serves 4-6.

pixel Curried Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango
button print gry20 Curried Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango

March 29 2010 10:32 pm | grains and salads

30 Responses to “Curried Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango”

1. Cheryl on 29 Mar 2010 at 10:46 pm #

Have a great trip!
    You’ve reminded me that we picked Ataulfo mangoes yesterday. I know what’s for breakfast. And dinner.

2. Heidi M on 29 Mar 2010 at 11:21 pm #

Yum!
    I’ve forgotten how much I love this kind of salad.
    Everything but the mangoes are on hand.
    The weather is dreadful here today (BC lower mainland) pack your wellies and bring candles. It’s got to be worse in Tofino.

3. Donna on 29 Mar 2010 at 11:56 pm #

Enjoy your holiday.
    Tofino is wonderful rain or shine. (but sunshine is better)

4. julie on 30 Mar 2010 at 6:49 am #

Looks delicious!

5. Lori on 30 Mar 2010 at 7:03 am #

Where in Calgary does one buy quinoa? I love it but seldom have it because I can’t find it.

6. JulieVR on 30 Mar 2010 at 7:17 am #

I buy mine in bulk at Community Natural Foods.. I think they have it in bulk at the Superstore as well.

7. Sprout on 30 Mar 2010 at 7:58 am #

I just saw quinoa the other day at my local co-op (the north hill location on 16th ave). I was trying to think of a use for it – now I have one. Looks great!

8. Vivian on 30 Mar 2010 at 9:43 am #

Costco has started carrying “tru Roots” brand of organic, pre-washed quinoa in 3 lb. bags. Ever since I bought one, I’ve been looking for a neat recipe or two to use with it. Thanks for this and the info on those “other” mangoes in the market.

9. Erica B. on 30 Mar 2010 at 9:51 am #

Fantastic looking salad! I’m also amazed you had the energy to post anything given your schedule.

I saw Ataulfo mangoes at Save On the other day. I’ll have to see if our Superstore has cases – so I can make your salad and try a recipe for gingerbread toaster pastries – it originally called for peaches but I can’t wait til peach season.

Have a wonderful trip! :)

10. thepinkpeppercorn on 30 Mar 2010 at 10:09 am #

Gotta love quinoa. Isn’t black beans and mango just the best!? Great with fish too!

11. colesangel on 30 Mar 2010 at 3:15 pm #

i’m with W…mangos YUM!!
    and on the ‘no sleep’ question, Julie…just like anything else, your body adjusts. it does get easier and you get your brain cells back again, really you do.

12. Jan (Family Bites) on 30 Mar 2010 at 8:39 pm #

This looks so great and fresh! Have a great trip….

13. Erin M on 30 Mar 2010 at 10:18 pm #

Yum! Thankyou for this one, I am a huge fan of anything with Quinoa…and anything with Mango so doesnt’ get much better then this! :)
    Have an awesome trip, Tofino is one of my favourite places and Ucuelet. I head that way atleast a few times each summer, of course I’m just on the other side of the island so its not so hard to do.

14. Barb on 31 Mar 2010 at 3:04 pm #

A nice full salad with something interesting in every bite. Wonderful. Have a great trip.

15. molly on 31 Mar 2010 at 7:43 pm #

Oh, ataulfos!! We’ve been gobbling them, also, instantly upon ripeness if not sooner. If we can possibly maintain a little self-discipline and wait until supper, this looks like a fine fate. I’m imagining lime juice, maybe queso fresco, perhaps a little avocado. Cilantro! Really, the whole mango/black bean/grain combo just looks smashing.

16. Carol SB on 01 Apr 2010 at 5:34 pm #

Special trip to Community Natural foods: Quinoa and cute little mangoes are at the door, ready to go to my daughter’s house… we have a date tonight, and what better way to spend it than making this beautiful bowl of tastiness?
    My chives are big enough, I’m sure, to add to this…

17. Manon from Ontario on 03 Apr 2010 at 6:50 am #

Wow, these look delicious….I’m making these for my Easter lunch of 25 tomorrow ;p

Any news on the chocolates? Lost?

I saw the damages the wind did on the news….I’m glad you guys are all ok.

Have a very happy Easter!

MFO

18. Entry Level Finance on 03 Apr 2010 at 7:14 pm #

I am on a low glycemic diet, so this may be a great recipe for me to use! There are so few options when you are trying to lose weight! :) Thanks for the great recipe! I’ll let you know how it turns out:)

19. Jennifer on 12 Apr 2010 at 10:16 pm #

I made this salad for dinner Sunday – as did a good friend of mine – I sent her a link to the recipe last week. We both LOVED it. Thanks!!

20. Jess on 18 Apr 2010 at 2:18 pm #

Just made this for a lunchbox salad for the week. The first bites are delicious! Can’t wait to try it after the flavours have mixed.

21. Fresh Crab and Brown & Wild Rice & Barley Salad with Chickpeas | dinner with Julie on 29 Jul 2010 at 4:34 pm #

[...] river under the bridge in Revelstoke (this time we ate salami and cheese sandwiches and leftover quinoa, black bean and mango salad that I tossed in with a half container of baby spinach, just to use it [...]

22. Kelly on 04 May 2011 at 8:25 am #

LOVE this recipe. I’m a dietitian and I refer people to your blog and this recipe specifically all the time. Great way to introduce newbies to quinoa.

23. Jamie on 01 Jun 2011 at 3:06 pm #

Hi Julie! I love your blog; it has brought me inspiration on more than one occasion :) Since it’s feeling like summer, it’s time for fun salads. This is one of my favorites! I’ve been asked for the nutritional breakdown and am wondering if you have that information availble. If so, would I be able to use it? Thank you!

24. angela on 11 Sep 2011 at 8:45 pm #

thankyou for taking the trouble…..I,m only a youngster @ 91. lovever

25. Savoury Spinach And Leek Pancakes « Dan's Good Side on 13 Sep 2011 at 10:04 am #

[...] Since we’re in the summer/autumn transition period right now, these would be good with a cool grain salad if the temperature is high, or a good bowl of soup if things are getting a bit chilly. I sometimes [...]

26. Dan on 16 Apr 2012 at 6:16 pm #

Just enjoyed this with the family (even our younger girls liked)! Used everything in the salad, except I had no chutney (used white wine vinegar w/ lemon). Fortunately I made a double batch and now have lunches for the wife and kids. Thanks!

27. Boys, Bikes, and Bonfires…oh, and a quinoa salad. | Dinnerversions on 24 Jul 2012 at 7:07 am #

[...] other smart thing we did was make Julie‘s Curried Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango ahead of time. It travels well, is filling and fresh either on its own or keeping a hot dog [...]

28. Cheryl on 29 Jul 2012 at 8:29 am #

I followed the recipe to the letter. The colors were beautiful, but the green onions and curry seemed to overpower all the other flavors. Could not taste the delicate mango. I am going to try again and modify the ingredients a little.

29. Sassy Summer Salads « Connect Shore on 09 Aug 2012 at 3:46 am #

[...] 2) Curried Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango (adapted from http://www.dinnerwithjulie.com) [...]

30. chaussures louboutin site officiel on 31 Mar 2014 at 2:54 am #

Great items from you, man. I’ve have in mind your stuff previous to and you are simply too wonderful.

I actually like what you’ve bought right here, really
    like what you’re saying and the way in which wherein you
    are saying it. You’re making it enjoyable and you still take care of
    to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you.
    This is really a wonderful web site.

chaussures louboutin site officiel