Cinnamon Sticky Biscuits

Cinnamon+Sticky+Biscuits Cinnamon Sticky Biscuits

Woke up in the throes of a southeasterly storm this morning – or rather woke up again, but got out of bed this time… my city self is not accustomed to this kind of coastal winter storm, particularly during the night. It encourages my already entrenched habit of waking up in the wee hours to worry about all the big scary things there are to worry about, unable to crawl into my parents’ bed and nestle myself between them.

By 7:30 my Dad had already been up for hours, worrying about his own things, and so I made cinnamon sticky biscuits. Growing up, we rarely had dessert, but when my Dad needed something sweet after dinner my mom would quickly stir up one of two things: chocolate pudding or cinnamon biscuits. I doubt this is the same recipe she used, but this is one of my favourites; the dough made with only 1/4 cup of canola oil and milk (I used lactose-free milk on account of my Dad, and you couldn’t tell a bit) they are better for you than most scones or tea biscuits. And they are a mighty fine thing to pull from the oven and eat warm with tea and coffee while the weather rages outside.

Cinnamon+biscuits+in+pan Cinnamon Sticky Biscuits

And really, I do love storms. And I love Tofino. If I was to be anywhere during a storm, this would be the place. We’re prepping ourselves now for a possible power outage, so I thought I’d get this up now. Besides, the recipe might come in handy on your Easter weekend.

Cinnamon+Sticky+Biscuits+2 Cinnamon Sticky Biscuits

Cinnamon Sticky Biscuits

Try laying thin slices of these biscuits on top of a dish of peaches or apples tossed with sugar, then bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes for a phenomenal fruit cobbler.

Stickiness:
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. honey or corn syrup

Biscuits:
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil

Filling:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins and/or chopped pecans (optional)

Put the butter, brown sugar and honey into an 8”x8” pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray, put it in the oven and turn it on to 350°F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add the milk and canola oil and stir by hand just until you have a soft dough. Do not overmix!

On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll the dough into a 9” x 14” rectangle. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins or nuts. Starting from a long side, roll tightly jelly-roll style into a log. Cut into 9 biscuits using dental floss or a serrated knife, and place cut side down in the pan.

Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Invert onto a platter while still warm.

Makes 9 sticky biscuits.

Per biscuit: 270 calories, 9 g total fat (2.2 g saturated fat, 4.4 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat), 3.6 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 7.7 mg cholesterol, 0.9 g fiber. 30% calories from fat.

pixel Cinnamon Sticky Biscuits
button print gry20 Cinnamon Sticky Biscuits

April 02 2010 02:06 pm | bread and breakfast

23 Responses to “Cinnamon Sticky Biscuits”

1. Jenious on 02 Apr 2010 at 2:17 pm #

Best of luck with the storm—I hope you’re spared a power outage. I would adore these gooey dears baked over peaches. Divine idea!

2. julie on 02 Apr 2010 at 2:49 pm #

These look so perfect for Easter. Thanks for posting the recipe!

3. Janel on 02 Apr 2010 at 3:32 pm #

I know what I’m making for breakfast tomorrow! Thank you for the recipe. This biscuits sound pretty healthy, before all of the sugar and butter is added. :)

4. pauline on 02 Apr 2010 at 6:20 pm #

It looks soo good. I love it when you put the calorie content. Now knowing that will I be able to stop at one. hummm will let you know. Stay dry and enjoy your holiday.

5. Avery on 02 Apr 2010 at 8:27 pm #

This has always been one of my favourite recipes from you; I’m too lazy and impatient to make cinnamon buns, and these are truly the next best thing. These are great the next day, too… although they rarely last that long!

6. Cheryl on 02 Apr 2010 at 11:14 pm #

Oh, that idea for a fancy cobbler!
    This sounds like a much better day, storm and all, for you.

7. Cherine on 03 Apr 2010 at 2:40 am #

I love cinnamon! your biscuits look sooo appetizing :)

8. Simply Luxurious on 03 Apr 2010 at 8:25 am #

These look delicious! Wish I had them in my house this morning for breakfast.

9. Valerie on 03 Apr 2010 at 9:18 am #

Those look awesome and easy! My cinnamon sticky buns usually take hours (first rise the dough, then roll them and have them rise again while rolled up) this seems sooo much easier, and they look equally tasty! Will definitely try them soon!!!

10. thepinkpeppercorn on 03 Apr 2010 at 4:34 pm #

So funny – I made cinnamon sticky gooeyness too! Looks delicious!!

11. Sandy on 03 Apr 2010 at 4:55 pm #

I inherited the worrywart gene from my father too!

12. Memoria on 03 Apr 2010 at 8:12 pm #

Wow, I can’t believe these were made without yeast. They look amazing!

13. Simone on 04 Apr 2010 at 10:19 am #

I’ve got these in the oven right now. The biscuit dough came together beautifully. I have a feeling this will be my go to biscuit.

14. maria on 05 Apr 2010 at 10:52 pm #

Thanks, this was my Easter neighbourhood egg hunting food table contribution – so yummy!

15. Ruth on 22 Apr 2010 at 5:58 am #

These are in the oven now… smell soooo good. I must say they were a lot less time consuming than the regular cinnamon buns. I see sticky gooyness a lot more in my future with this recipe!

16. Two-Minute Chocolate Chip Banana Bread | dinner with Julie on 13 Jun 2010 at 11:39 pm #

[...] no desire to rectify the situation, to have a potluck brunch at the park. It was great. There was cinnamon sticky biscuits, and cherries, and cheese, and devilled eggs. The kids ran and played, and none of us had to do [...]

17. eprairiegrrl on 20 Feb 2011 at 11:42 am #

Argh…I think I didn’t roll these tightly enough. A tasty mess though!

18. Denise on 25 Apr 2011 at 10:15 pm #

Try them, I must? I trust I must. So I will!

19. JulieVR on 25 Apr 2011 at 10:34 pm #

You won’t regret it!

20. Panasonic GH2 on 29 Aug 2011 at 11:01 am #

I withstand like Im constantly looking in place of gripping things to read close by a multifariousness of topics, but I manage to include your install among my reads every prime because you give birth to compelling entries that I look impudent to.

21. Rosaria on 05 Aug 2014 at 3:54 pm #

Th?nks a bunch for sharing this ?ith all folks you actually understand w??t yo?’r? speaing about!
    Bookmarked. ?lease additionally visit m? web site =).
    ?e wilkl have a hyperlink exchange agreement ?etween us

22. verhuisservice on 20 Sep 2014 at 5:02 pm #

Havng read this I thought it was very enlightening. Iappreciate you spending some time
    and effort to put this short article together. I once again find myself spending way too much time both reading and commenting.
    But sso what, it was still worth it!

23. Background Check on 05 Oct 2014 at 1:06 am #

They understand it quite well that educational success is quite a
    decisive factor to check the employee’s motivation and skills.
    With the aid of the internet you can easily come to know how to get the
    background check quite efficiently. Many organizations now share such information through industry
    guilds, making lying on resume to gain advantage not worth its while.