Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix

Pancake Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix

I get a little more enthused than any normal human should over packing food for road trips, especially coming out to Tofino, where groceries are pricey but we do have a decent kitchen. Pancakes have become de rigueur at home, and so I thought I’d save a step and mix up some grainy pancake mix to bring along. I knew I wouldn’t have access to my kitchen cupboard packed with bags of flours and grains (some labeled, some not – some batches of pancakes are a mixed bag, literally) that I do at home.

I shudder at the sight of boxed pancake mix – it’s white flour, sugar and baking powder! Besides the fact that it can so easily be made at home for a pittance (I always envision Aunt Jemima chuckling all the way to the bank), I can’t imagine why a stack of sweetened white flour topped with syrup is considered breakfast and not dessert.

The great thing about pancakes, besides the obvious, is that a) kids will eat them, and b) you can sneak so much good stuff into them and they’ll still eat them, just by virtue of the fact that they’re pancakes.

Pancake+2 Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix

Pancakes are made with flour, baking powder, milk, eggs and oil (or melted butter). Try any number of flours – oat, barley, quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice – even oats, ground flaxseed, any combination of grains will work. The milk could be soy, or plain yogurt thinned with milk or water. Eggs add protein. And the oil – I only add a little bit – adds healthy fats – I use canola or flax, which is high in omega 3 fatty acids. (And it’s far easier to add a drizzle of oil to things like pancakes than it is to work more fish into your diet.) I tend to add berries or banana or grated pears and apples (the half-eaten ones) or whatever bits of fruit (or even veg – try grated zucchini or sweet potato) I have around that needs using. (And yes, I have even made soggy cereal pancakes. Why not? It’s just grains softened in milk, which is what you’re using to make pancakes anyway! I hate wasting half-full bowls of sodden cereal. I’m not cheap, I’m environmentally savvy.)

Pancake+mix Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix

The mix is just flours and grains, baking powder and salt. Add a teaspoon of baking powder and a pinch of salt to every cup of flours and grains. That’s it. I sometimes mix up a batch to keep at home, just to make the process simpler in the morning when I’m still mostly asleep. To use, whisk a cup of milk, an egg and a tablespoon of oil into each cup of mix. One, one, one and one. Easy, right? And simple to double or triple if you’re feeding a crowd. One plus one and one and one will make about five. Which depending on appetites may mean a couple leftovers. I’ve been known to spread a cold pancake with peanut butter and wrap it around a banana, but you don’t need to get that fancy.

Pancake+Picnic Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix

Which can be a good thing. This morning, W asked if we could have a pancake picnic. But of course. He packed leftover cold pancakes, wrapping them in foil and putting them in our bag with towels and apples and water. When we got to Tonquin Park, he carefully unwrapped one and ate it plain, like a slice of pizza, before stripping down and jumping into the ocean. Apparently no one has told him it’s April.

Tonquin+Island Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix

Earlier this week, we had crepes. On Easter morning, they came with sauteed apples (with a splash of brandy, even) and whipped cream. But I think I was so enamoured with the ham that I forgot to tell you about them.

Crepes Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix

Crêpes with Sautéed Apples and Whipped Cream

Crêpes:
1 1/4 cups milk
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. canola oil
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. sugar
pinch salt
extra oil, butter or nonstick spray for cooking with

Apples:
a drizzle of oil
a small blob of butter
3 tart apples, unpeeled and thinly sliced
a few spoonfuls of sugar, maple syrup or Roger’s Golden syrup
a sprinkle of cinnamon

1/2-1 cup heavy cream, whipped with a bit of syrup or sugar

Pulse all the ingredients in a blender until foamy or whisk until well blended and smooth; let the batter sit for half an hour. It should have the consistency of heavy cream.

When ready to cook, preheat a large skillet or griddle and brush it with butter or oil or spray it with nonstick spray. Pour about a quarter cup onto the skillet and tilt it around so that it runs into a circle. Cook until the top loses its gloss, which should only take a minute or two, then flip. The bottom should be golden. Cook the other side for about 30 seconds and then slide out onto a plate. Keep warm in a 250F oven while you cook the rest.

Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in another skillet over medium heat. When the foam subsides, add the apples and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft and starting to turn golden around the edges. Add the sugar or syrup and a shake of cinnamon, cook for another minute, tossing to coat the apples well. Remove from the heat.

Fill crepes with the apple mixture, roll up and top with whipped cream. Serve warm.

Makes about 10 crepes.

pixel Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix
button print gry20 Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix

April 14 2010 02:03 am | breakfast

16 Responses to “Homemade Grainy Pancake Mix”

1. Rambles with Reese on 14 Apr 2010 at 2:31 am #

These crepes look absolutely delicious and doable!
    I can’t wait to try them out.

Thanks for sharing.

p.s. the photos are awesome!

2. Jennifer Jo on 14 Apr 2010 at 4:14 am #

Thanks for breaking down the pancake formula, making it clear as day and simple as can be.

And I like the picture of the little toy alongside the bag of mix. Miniature plastic dogs and the like are forever sneaking into my photos, it seems.

3. Erica B. on 14 Apr 2010 at 8:07 am #

If I’m out for brunch and crepes are on the menu I order them…because I love ‘em but I’ve always been kinda intimidated to make them at home – silly I know. I’ll have to try making them this weekend. Thanks Julie!

4. Sue (London, ON) on 14 Apr 2010 at 10:26 am #

Wow! I bought real maple syrup on the weekend and had been thinking all morning that tonight feels like a pancakes-for-dinner night. How delightful to open your blog today and find you’re thinking about them too! I agree that its so easy to make them from scratch and they’re so much better than the ones from a box. When we had a family cottage, I always pre-mixed the dry ingredients and I still do when we go camping! Thanks for the pancake breakdown! Can’t wait for dinner time!

5. Carol SB on 14 Apr 2010 at 11:37 am #

mmm, those apple crepes sound wonderful.
    A favorite in our camping/ weekend repertoire is similar: apple/ cheese quesadillas (I guess that is redundant, isn’t it.)
    Once we forgot the cinammon to sprinkle on the sliced apples as they sizzled away in butter… but a packet of that Hot Apple Cider mix (I think you know the one; comes in a red box) sprinkled into the frying pan was even better.

6. Karen on 14 Apr 2010 at 12:13 pm #

I really need to get my new prescription…I read Homemade Gravy Pancake Mix…

We eat pancakes for supper quite often and the extras (I always make extras) my daughter slathers in peanut butter to make pancake sandwiches for lunch or a snack.

Have you ever tried pancake roll-ups? Not nearly as thin as a crepe, but not as cakey as a pancake, these are made like crepes, slathered with homemade jam/fruit/whatever tickles your tastebuds and eaten with yogurt or sour cream. YUMMY!

7. Deborah on 14 Apr 2010 at 4:21 pm #

What a blessing you are! I tried those yummy pancakes this after and they were divine and SUPER EASY!! When we lived in the Philippines we ate banana pancakes and mango at a restaurant and since I am trying to cut down on sugar I just sliced some bananas on top and yum, yum, yum!! Thanks much for sharing!!

8. Sarah G on 14 Apr 2010 at 4:46 pm #

Not to mention the salt and sugar in AJ

9. Mary on 14 Apr 2010 at 8:55 pm #

It all sounds great! I’ve been making lots of buckwheat and oatmeal pancakes lately, but I haven’t made crepes for a while. Hmmm…buckwheat crepes are in order. Love the Tofino picture.

10. Janice on 14 Apr 2010 at 9:03 pm #

Crepes look great Can you email me where you stay in Tofino or mention it in your blog Thx

11. Cherine on 15 Apr 2010 at 11:32 am #

Those crepes look great & delicious!

12. Barb on 15 Apr 2010 at 1:08 pm #

I’ve got a nice grain pancake recipe at home I wish I cold share right now but, you’re right, it is that easy. I need to control the toppings sometimes but lately strawberries have been doing the job more than satisfactorily. Love them.

13. Manon from Ontario on 15 Apr 2010 at 1:55 pm #

Is there a difference between crepes and pancakes?

Please I don’t have a clue?

MFO :)

14. Manon from Ontario on 15 Apr 2010 at 2:03 pm #

Oops, wanted to say thanks for sharing your vacation with us, it seems beautiful out there :)

15. marly on 19 Apr 2010 at 10:40 am #

so, is tacofino open at this time of the year. we went last summer after seeing the cute truck on your blog, and were totally blown away.

16. Bison Roast on the Grill | dinner with Julie on 14 Jun 2010 at 10:41 pm #

[...] seeds, dried fruit and bits of things – turning all unidentifiable flours into a big bag of pancake mix and taking an inventory of everything else, divvying some of it into jars. It was one of those [...]