Mexican Fried Rice

Mexican+Fried+Rice Mexican Fried Rice

I apologize in advance for any typos and/or unintelligent drivel; I was up at 4:45 this morning – my alarm set for 5 to go do an early piece on BT – and didn’t get to bed until midnight on account of all the prep required for 4 minutes of on-air cooking, which I didn’t get to until late, having spent the bulk of the evening making a crown for W’s May Day party next week at preschool. (See? I’m not completely neglecting my family. I spent two hours making flowers out of tissue paper and pipe cleaners, dammit. And I didn’t even finish. I have homework. I have to finish the May Day tissue paper flower crown by next Tuesday. And although I’m sure all the girls will adore theirs, W could care less because Iron Man doesn’t wear tissue-paper-flower crowns. Think anyone would notice if I just wadded up a bunch of toilet paper to fill in the gaps?)

May+Day+Hat Mexican Fried Rice

I took W out this morning, determined to spend a bit of time together, and within ten minutes he took flight from a swing and landed on his face, leaving part of it in the dirt. (His face, that is.) The left side is so scraped and puffy and red from forehead to chin that everyone who has seen him as enquired, with a look of horror, what happened. Yes, it was on my watch. He lamented later that he didn’t have a black eye – he wished he did, because that would look cool.

I got called in to cover traffic this afternoon, so Mike made spaghetti. When I got home I ate slabs of bread dipped in their leftover sauce, standing at the counter. And M&Ms.

But this chili powder and cumin-spiked fried rice I made this morning on the show, and a few nights ago, and it was a hit. Ben couldn’t get enough of the stuff. It’s like Mexican Hamburger Helper, only without the hamburger and helper. It was a great way to stretch a sausage or two with (much healthier) black beans and brown rice – cook the rice in advance so that the grains are cold and separate – that way they won’t clump together. It’s not the sort of thing that would normally turn my crank, but it did the trick. Must have been the feta. Or the fatigue.

It’s crunch time to get this book done by June 1, and a flurry (blizzard?) of other stuff too. I have two articles due first thing in the morning, and I have to be at Global at 7:45. So right now I’m making quinoa and pizza dough and wishing I was in bed. My point (I think) is that my brain feels like a rusted-out tin cup with maybe a penny and a piece of lint rattling around in it, and you’re getting the dregs. Because I’m scraping up every last iota of brain power to pull together enough intelligible words to keep my editors from firing me.

Which I have to go do next.

And as I type this I can hear Mike down on the couch, eating chips, watching TV. And he doesn’t have to get up and cook and be presentable/coherent for an audience in 8 hours. I don’t recall the last time I was as jealous. I wonder if they’re Cheezies.

But seriously, you should try this rice. It’s pretty good.

Mexican Fried Rice

canola or olive oil, for cooking
1/2 lb. chorizo sausage, ground bison or turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional – or 1 can diced green chiles)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
pinch salt
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 14 oz. (398 mL) can black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta or grated old cheddar (optional)
chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)

In a large, heavy skillet, heat a drizzle of oil and cook the sausage (or other meat) and onion, breaking up the sausage until it’s no longer pink, and the onion is soft. Add the jalapeno, chili powder, cumin and salt and cook for another minute or two.

Remove from the pan and set aside. Add another drizzle of oil and add the rice to the skillet; cook for a few minutes, stirring, until it starts to brown. Add the beans and cook for a few minutes, then add the meat mixture back into the pan along with the tomato and feta and stir until heated through and the feta begins to melt a bit around the edges.

Divide among wide, shallow bowls and top with chopped fresh cilantro. Serves 6.

pixel Mexican Fried Rice
button print gry20 Mexican Fried Rice

May 20 2010 11:15 pm | leftovers

19 Responses to “Mexican Fried Rice”

1. Rambles with Reese on 21 May 2010 at 2:08 am #

Oh, Julie…you poor thing! And I thought I was exhausted this past week.

I can completely empathize with you about the tired body and brain syndrome. Mine has been in a bit of a fog and it’s terrible when your brain always has to be “on”. Sometimes, I’m quite envious of people who work in offices because they can take a brain break.

Your child sounds adorable ….and I’m sure your husband was thinking about you while he was eating those cheesies.

Great recipe! I’ll try it, but sadly without the cilantro cause’ I can’t get it here. Availability of foreign spices and herbs are quite limited in Italy.

Hope you have a better weekend! :-))

2. Jennifer Jo on 21 May 2010 at 5:38 am #

So why do you still blog when you’re so swamped?

3. Kalynskitchen on 21 May 2010 at 6:27 am #

I’m worn out by the thought of your schedule! The Mexican Fried Rice looks amazing though, so you’re still on top of the recipes, no doubt about that!

4. Jan (Family Bites) on 21 May 2010 at 6:32 am #

The rice sounds incredible…but your schedule….not so much! I hope you get a good rest soon.

5. bellini valli on 21 May 2010 at 8:02 am #

I love this twist on a classic favourite Julie.

6. Natalie (GA) on 21 May 2010 at 8:45 am #

don’t worry about us when you are this busy! we will survive! but you may not… the flowers are gorgeous, but be careful not to implode, explode or fizzle away.

7. mmac on 21 May 2010 at 9:27 am #

Nope. Especially now that his face is such a conversation starter. Put the nice flowers to the front and the tp to the back. Done. Check. Finis. One more thing off the list.

8. Manon from Ontario on 21 May 2010 at 9:28 am #

OMG Julie, I just love ya, we have similar crazy schedules….now I see what others mean by I make them dizzy…LOL!

Try to relax over the long weekend girl.

MFO

9. mmac on 21 May 2010 at 9:28 am #

Hmmm. The part between the was your sentence “Think anyone would notice if I just wadded up a bunch of toilet paper to fill in the gaps.” Don’t know what happened to the cut and paste function. Looked okay before I hit submit.

10. JulieVR on 21 May 2010 at 9:32 am #

You guys are all so sweet. There will be no relaxing this weekend – Sue’s coming to get this book together, so we’ll be chained to the dining room table!

11. Rachael on 21 May 2010 at 10:07 am #

Dear Julie,

You can do it!! I’ve stared down a million deadlines and I know you have too. I find, knowing there is an end in sight, helps give me the extra oomph I need to make it there. I hope there is time to collapse and recoop after June 1. Keep blogging if it helps to get the frustration out, but I’d be alright if you wanted to focus on other things.

Have fun with Sue – you two are going to hit it out of the park.

Thanks for posting – I love reading about the chaos in your life, plus W is amazing!

12. Beverley M on 21 May 2010 at 11:45 am #

What?! You’re letting Mike watch TV when there’s a tissue-paper crown to be made? Get him on that! He can do it while watching TV, and it sounds like W won’t care if it’s not perfect anyway.

Delegate, delegate, delegate!

And good luck with everything you’ve got going on!

13. robyn on 21 May 2010 at 12:21 pm #

Poor W! Poor you!

Reese: Not sure how long you’re in Italy, but you could easily grow cilantro in a pot in your kitchen! It’s worth it! :)

14. Corine on 23 May 2010 at 8:04 am #

Made the mexican fried rice last night using my homemade Italian sausage…it was absolutely incredible, what a great recipe! Thank you so much! But please take care of yourself, that’s a crazy schedule

15. Cheryl on 23 May 2010 at 10:43 pm #

Poor little guy… I’m with him. I never get black eyes and it somehow seems cooler. Even when I broke my nose they were barely discernible.

16. Barb on 24 May 2010 at 4:47 pm #

I will definitely try the rice. It is my kind of meal by the sounds of it. The face plant in the sand sounds aweful… for both of you. :(

17. sharon on 25 May 2010 at 11:34 am #

I only come here for the food… .

I’ve done this recipe twice now, both times varying from your suggested ingredients a tad: Different spicing, herb, meat, rice, vegetables (mmm celery and green onion) and the bean. The first time it was, yes, more or less Mexican; the second time in the neighbourhood of East Indian.

It’s a great recipe to make up quickly, such as when the phone rings and a voice says “Hi, we’re just passing Red Deer and we wondered, could we have lunch with you before we head on to Banff?”

Why not? Isn’t that why I’m always HERE? (And not, sob, in Banff too?)

18. Watermelon Caprese Salad | dinner with Julie on 07 Jul 2010 at 9:43 pm #

[...] I had some leftover rice from one of my shows in Edmonton, and some already cooked crumbled ground beef in the fridge, so I made a sort of Mexican rice skillet that’s exactly the sort of thing that doesn’t inspire me at all, and yet was completely delicious. Oh crap, I told you about that already. [...]

19. Meal Planning: January 14 – 20 « Bubbly Meadow on 22 Jan 2013 at 6:09 am #

[...] Friday January 18: Leftovers & new batch of Baking Powder Biscuits Saturday January 19: Mexican Fried Rice (Spilling the Beans); made chicken stock in the Crock Pot Sunday January 20: Chicken and White Bean [...]