Two-Minute Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Chocolate+Chip+Banana+Bread Two Minute Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Sorry, I know this isn’t new nor earth-shattering, and I’ve offered up banana bread recipes before. But we spent this morning at the park eating warm banana bread studded with melting chocolate pieces, a great way to wrap up a bit of a nutso week. We decided, since our house looks like someone picked it up and shook it and I had absolutely no desire to rectify the situation, to have a potluck brunch at the park. It was great. There was cinnamon sticky biscuits, and cherries, and cheese, and devilled eggs. The kids ran and played, and none of us had to do dishes afterward. This may be a new Sunday morning tradition until the first snowfall starts cooling down our brunch.

Nellie+Breen Two Minute Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Brunch+picnic Two Minute Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Since I always have a glut of black bananas in my freezer, I threw a few into a bowl of hot water to quickly thaw, and made the standby two minute potato masher banana loaf that has become a near-daily ritual around here. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll have the batter mixed up before the oven is preheated. I toss all manner of ingredients into these loaves, since everything goes so well with banana – nuts and seeds, coconut, dried fruit, chocolate – I always add a glug of flax oil too boost omega 3s (a teaspoon has as much as a filet of salmon!) and let me tell you, banana bread is pretty spectacular toasted with peanut butter with coffee first thing in the morning.

Two-Minute Banana Bread

3 very ripe bananas
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
2-4 Tbsp. canola, olive or flax oil
2 large eggs
a big splash of vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour (I usually use half all-purpose, half whole wheat, oat or quinoa flour)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
a handful of chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, raisins, coconut, fresh or frozen blueberries (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, mash the bananas, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla with a potato masher – don’t worry about getting all the lumps out. It will look sort of cottage-cheesy.

Add the flour, baking soda and salt and stir until almost combined; add any additions and stir just until blended. Spread into a buttered 8”x4” loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes, until golden and cracked on top and springy to the touch.

(GalleryCalorie was a spectacular success yesterday, by the way! A long day-almost 12 hours of sun and fun, between setup and teardown. It was so great to see some of you there. We ate and drank our way up and down 17th Avenue, and partied in the park afterward. I brought my camera, but left it on a bench and forgot to use it. You’ll just have to come see for yourself next year!)

pixel Two Minute Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
button print gry20 Two Minute Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

June 13 2010 11:39 pm | bread and breakfast

22 Responses to “Two-Minute Chocolate Chip Banana Bread”

1. Buddiegirl on 13 Jun 2010 at 11:43 pm #

It sounds like a lovely way to spend a sunny Sunday morning. I especially like the part about no dishes to wash.

I will have to try the banana loaf recipe, since I too always have black bananas in the freezer, I just bear to through them away.

2. LisaGee on 14 Jun 2010 at 8:59 am #

This is pretty much my go-to banana bread recipe (I made it three times last week, when we had family staying with us!), and it’s always a hit… especially with me. I’ve never tried the flax oil before though – I’ll add that to my repetoire!

3. Lori on 14 Jun 2010 at 9:20 am #

You know, when my husband died, I intended to never buy bananas again. It’s a texture thing. But, toasted banana bread, that sounds like a good breakfast/whenever food. Feels like a treat, but has much good in it. Must go on a banana hunt…
    I love this blog. You inspire me and make me wish for a shot of your energy. How you do everything is totally amazing.I love the glimpse into your world.Now I’m waiting for the bean book to be printed.

4. Cheryl Arkison on 14 Jun 2010 at 9:21 am #

That sounds like a fantastic community brunch idea. I just might be stealing it.

5. Sue (London, ON) on 14 Jun 2010 at 10:08 am #

I buy bananas almost every week and so at the end of almost every week, I make banana bread. I love your recipe. I’ve been frustrated lately with the middle not cooking and in fact lately I’ve been making your Old Fashioned Banana Cake instead and WOW its delicious! I double the recipe (always), bake it in 8×8 pans and then freeze them. Its so nice to whip when out when unexpected company comes. Good with icing and good without! You inspire me too Julie and I too await anxiously for the new cookbook!

6. Barbara Brownlee on 14 Jun 2010 at 12:47 pm #

You must be psychic! Not 10 minutes ago, I was looking at my stash of very ripe bananas thinking “I really should make banana bread today” and Voila! I shall try your recipe to have with my tea this afternoon. Thanks!

7. Barb on 14 Jun 2010 at 3:49 pm #

I agree – banana bread is great with PB.

8. Lori B on 14 Jun 2010 at 7:08 pm #

I just made your recipe today and it turned out great! It was literally a couple of minutes

9. Jennifer on 14 Jun 2010 at 9:56 pm #

Brilliant! I’ve had the banana-bread french toast at the Banff Springs brunch – so yum! But why have I not thought of just toasting it with peanut butter!? Thanks for the great idea!

10. Jessica on 15 Jun 2010 at 11:26 am #

I made this for breakfast this morning, WITH chocolate chips. All our tummies were very happy. And the potato masher is genius!

11. The Food Hunter on 16 Jun 2010 at 1:33 pm #

Just stumbled across your blog…nice!

12. Ashley on 22 Jun 2010 at 8:47 am #

That looks like a most perfect banana bread! I thought flax oil couldn’t be heated because it oxidized it and actually made it harmful? Maybe that’s just for frying/pan frying with it though.

13. Cathy on 28 Jun 2010 at 2:22 pm #

I was having the very same frustrations as Sue in London. My banana loaves just would not cook in the middle. This is a fairly new development, I’ve tried many different recipes, forzen vs “fresh” bananas, white vs whole wheat, no add ins, LOTS of add ins and still the same gooey gloppy mess. Then I saw this recipe, and thought “Ah ha!! Julie has never let me down” and sure enough – success!!

Thank you. This recipe is not only simple, and delicious, but has restored my faith in my ability to make banana bread again..hee hee!!

14. Charlie’s Banana Bread | dinner with Julie on 14 Jul 2010 at 10:38 pm #

[...] brought this over. It’s just banana bread, only he stopped halfway through pouring the batter and slapped on a layer of Nutella, then topped [...]

15. Meta4 on 16 Jul 2010 at 7:24 pm #

I used this recipe and made mini cup cakes for my grand children that arrives from Wisconsin next week.
    I baked them 10 minutes and they are delicious.

16. Barbara Mcgrath on 27 Jul 2010 at 12:41 pm #

Hi I made your Banana chocolate Bread,It was delicious,but all the cholotate chips went tothe bottom of the loaf pan,I wonder should I have coated some fllour on them But I don’t think it would stick to the chips.Thanks

17. Branana Bread | The Family Kitchen on 03 May 2011 at 8:00 am #

[...] made all kinds of banana loaves around here – chocolate chip, blueberry ginger, oatmeal-raisin – but I just came up with a new one. My inspiration? The [...]

18. Renee on 15 Jun 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Can’t wait to try this!!! This looks amazing.

19. kimberc on 20 Aug 2012 at 11:36 am #

just made some with coconut, walnuts and chopped chocolate….it’s my new favorite. thanks!

20. Charlotte on 09 Dec 2013 at 3:06 pm #

I’m having the girls over tomorrow to play cards. I was looking for an easy recipe with bananas and chocolate chips. I love making cupcakes, so I’m going to use your recipe for them…… it looks simple and I have all the ingredients on hand. I’ll let you know how it goes over with the girls.

21. stop smoking help on 20 Feb 2014 at 9:35 pm #

This is my first time go to see at here and i
    am actually pleassant to read all at one place.

22. Shirley on 14 Apr 2014 at 5:47 pm #

Hi Julie,

I made this recipe three times, successfully twice but when I made it recently, I had some difficulty mixing in the baking soda and I think it just didn’t mix…the resulting banana bread is studded with bits of the salty soda. I imagine it would be good to mix the soda in with the flour first? Also why not baking powder instead of soda or a mixture of both? Thanks for taking my question.
    Shirley