Watermelon Caprese Salad

Watermelon+Caprese+Salad Watermelon Caprese Salad

I’d like to get back to normal here, please, maybe with a nice regular dinner report and recipe? Perhaps before the insanity of Stampede hits. Which is imminent. Tomorrow morning is the CBC ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen Stampede Breakfast (in the parking lot beside the CBC building on Memorial Drive), which means it’s also Sneak-a-Peek, which means Friday is Parade Day. And then it doesn’t stop for ten days. And then we leave for Tofino. There may be corn dogs and mini donuts in between.

Buggy+windshield Watermelon Caprese Salad

We drove back from Edmonton this afternoon, arriving at dinnertime. W had spent the best 24 hours of his life (thus far) with Grandma & Grandad, having his first sleepover (that’s right – our first night away and we go to Edmonton to work, rather than take off to Vegas or some such) and then going to see Toy Story 3 before a trip to the zoo. What does he need us for anyway? He came back, glanced at us briefly, said hi, and went down the basement. Perhaps he’s turning 15, not 5, on his next birthday.

I had some leftover rice from one of my shows in Edmonton, and some already cooked crumbled ground beef in the fridge, so I made a sort of Mexican rice skillet that’s exactly the sort of thing that doesn’t inspire me at all, and yet was completely delicious. Oh crap, I told you about that already.

Then lets revert to lunch. Or breakfast. On BT this morning I was fooling around with watermelons, and one of the recipes I made was this watermelon caprese salad (traditionally made with tomatoes, but upgraded with fresh watermelon – which, did you know, is far higher in lycopene?) – you could get all fancy with caramelized onions on top, or just lay slices of watermelon and buffalo mozzarella (or bocconcini), drizzle with balsamic and oil or a thick balsamic reduction, and tuck in a few fresh basil leaves. If you want to get all cute about it, cut shapes out of your watermelon slices with a cookie cutter, then use the scraps to make some agua fresca or a nice strong margarita.

Ben+%26+Watermelon+sno cones Watermelon Caprese Salad
With a bunch of watermelon halves taking up real estate on my kitchen counter, I also made the boys some watermelon sno-cones. Scoop out the flesh using an ice cream scoop, freeze it, dip in vanilla yogurt and douse in sprinkles, then stick it in a sugar cone. They’re thrilled.

One Year Ago: Deep-fried Macaroni & Cheese

pixel Watermelon Caprese Salad
button print gry20 Watermelon Caprese Salad

July 07 2010 09:43 pm | leftovers

10 Responses to “Watermelon Caprese Salad”

1. Sharlene on 07 Jul 2010 at 10:12 pm #

Mmm! I didn’t actually know that watermelon had more lycopene. What a lovely take on the traditional caprese!

2. Jenny on 07 Jul 2010 at 10:16 pm #

OOhhh, yum! That sald looks delish! Currently i am sitting in a VERY hot apartment in Victoria and that salad looks like it would hit the spot!

We were in Tofino last weekend and i FINALLLY got to eat at SoBo. So good! We had the beet and goat cheese salad as well as the keylime pie. Very yummy! I have to tell you though, we went to “Big Daddy’s” and i had the crabcake souvlaki which was pretty amazing!

Love reading your posts. I look forward to them everyday! Keep on cooking and sharing)!!

Also, what camera do you use?? I’m in the market for a new one!

3. Kathy - Panini Happy on 07 Jul 2010 at 10:35 pm #

Lovely! Especially with the cute cutouts. I’m starting to be convinced that almost any fruit tastes great with fresh mozzarella. I just made a peach caprese this weekend that was pretty amazing, hopefully will get it posted pretty soon. I also really love watermelon with feta.

4. Avery on 07 Jul 2010 at 11:04 pm #

Those sno-cones are brilliant! Ruby would eat half a (large!) watermelon in one sitting if we let her. I literally have to pry the empty rinds from her tiny hands. We’re also spending a tonne on popsicles (her other fave), so perhaps I can meld the two together and blow her little mind…

5. Tina on 08 Jul 2010 at 12:27 am #

Brilliant! I had just opened my browser to look for a watermelon salad, and you’re my homepage and there it was!

6. Recip for Delicious on 08 Jul 2010 at 5:40 am #

Two awesome watermelon recipes! I can’t wait to try the cones! Might help cool off th in ths 30 degree weather. Such a sweet presentation of the caprese!

7. JulieVR on 08 Jul 2010 at 5:53 am #

Sharlene – I know, I was surprised too! A tomato has 4 mg – 2 cups of watermelon has 18 mg. Crazy, hey?

Kathy – YES! Cubed watermelon and feta with a bit of mint and balsamic is the bomb!

Avery – you can make popsicles that are so much healthier than store bought – puree watermelon and freeze it in popsicle molds. Add chunks of fruit, if you want. Much cheaper, too!

8. Recipe: Peach Caprese Panini | Panini Happy on 08 Jul 2010 at 3:09 pm #

[…] I kept the basil, which seems to just love so many other summer fruits, like strawberries and watermelon. I used homemade fresh mozzarella, representing the “cream” flavor (and, yes, […]

9. Vincci on 08 Jul 2010 at 5:06 pm #

Mmmm so good – B’s parents just dropped off a quarter watermelon in his fridge – I will have to try this “recipe” some time, though I did just buy some goat cheese feta today…

10. Superfoods on 08 Oct 2014 at 10:03 pm #

Thank you a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually
    understand what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked.
    Please also talk over with my site =). We can have a hyperlink exchange arrangement among
    us