Watermelon Popsicles

Watermelon+Popsicles hi Watermelon Popsicles

Avery, this one is for you. (Or more for Ruby. Could she be any cuter? She picked up a baseball in the yard yesterday and said in her teeny voice: “baseball”. Is she brilliant, or what? She’s totally going on the list of girls next door(ish) that W is allowed to date. In 20 years or so.)

If she loves Popsicles and watermelon, these as you said may blow her little mind. And of course they’re pure fruit, and don’t contain high-fructose corn syrup and various colours, stabilizers and gums, like most store-bought varieties do. All you do is puree watermelon – cut it in chunks and whiz it in the blender or food processor – because it’s mostly water it purees really well. Pour it into popsicle molds, add some fresh fruit if you like (blueberries, halved grapes, chopped kiwi and the like) and freeze them. If you don’t have popsicle molds, pour it into paper dixie cups, cover the cups with plastic wrap (to hold the stick in place) and poke a popsicle stick through, then freeze.

I haven’t had a chance to actually make them myself today, so I totally used the photo from the National Watermelon Promotion Board (with permission!) – but isn’t it pretty? I wish I could find molds that would make popsicles that look like that. And I wish I could then take a photo that looks like that without said popsicles melting all over the table, or getting dog hair stuck in them. Although I suppose it would add extra fiber.

Lemonade+Royalty Watermelon Popsicles

In other news – check out who stopped by A’s house today to buy some lemonade! The Stampede Queen and two princesses were parched, and so pulled over up the hill. A brush with royalty. They got to feed the Queen.

One Year Ago: Lemon Buttermilk Pudding Cake

pixel Watermelon Popsicles
button print gry20 Watermelon Popsicles

July 08 2010 06:06 pm | leftovers

8 Responses to “Watermelon Popsicles”

1. Lisa on 08 Jul 2010 at 7:48 pm #

What a great photo, the boys look thrilled. We should all try to support budding entrepeneurs like these on the hot days of summer…waiting so hopefully as the cars pass by. Good on you Stampede Royalty!

2. Lisa on 08 Jul 2010 at 7:51 pm #

OH! I made your chocolate on chocolate cupcakes, but threw it into a bundt pan out of sheer laziness. Awesome recipe, so chocolatey and light as a feather. Thanks Julie!

3. Lana in South Mountain (ON) on 09 Jul 2010 at 12:25 pm #

Will have to make these popsicles for sure but will tell no one that they are pure fruit!

4. Grapefruit on 09 Jul 2010 at 3:06 pm #

Love your photos! I follow you in google reader but don’t think I’ve commented before.
    I also make these popsicles all the time – my kids love them.
    Btw, I have an award for you at my blog. Please do head over and check it out.

5. Avery on 11 Jul 2010 at 3:57 pm #

Yay! Thanks, Julie! We just got back from a wedding in Winnipeg, so I’m just getting to this post now. We left half a giant watermelon in the fridge that is begging to be made into these. I’ll let you know how they go over…!

6. Monica I. on 15 Jul 2010 at 4:16 pm #

Do kids *REALLY* care what mould you use? I think I heard somewhere that plastic yogurt tubs with a stick work just fine. However, if you reallllly need some, I have several sets that are, well, neglected. Including a Mickey Mouse set.

~M~

7. Michelle on 17 Jul 2010 at 4:34 pm #

Great idea and I’m sure a delicious one too.

8. Llegó el verano y ¡los helados! | Ahora También mamá on 14 Mar 2014 at 12:40 pm #

[…] Under a paper Moon Dinner with Julie […]