Pancake & Sausage Corn Dogs

Pancake+corn+dogs Pancake & Sausage Corn Dogs
These aren’t nearly as disgusting as they sound, honest.

They went over stupendously well last Tuesday morning at CBC. Seriously, people were near-ecstatic over them. Being Stampede week and all I need to give you an appropriately-themed recipe – I’m sorry if I held out for so long and you’re already over the whole corn dog thing. Even if you never were into the whole corn dog thing, these are worth a try. They’re little breakfast sausages dipped in grainy pancake batter and fried corn-dog style, then served with maple syrup for dipping. I made these once years ago, and we had wee ones in Kelowna last year at a hotel – I wish I could remember which one – they were small, and part of a breakfast buffet. So there you go – a new idea for your next brunch, or any party, really. Breakfast of champions. Also a great way to win friends and influence people.

They started with a pancake recipe. A nice grainy (without being heavy) one with a smattering of cornmeal (but not so much as to make them corn-cakey). The pancakes were great (although I do give you permission to knock down the oil a bit), and substantial enough that they worked perfectly for corn dog purposes, although I did omit the oil (after all, I was going to cook them in oil) and one of the eggs. (Don’t try boxed mix – not that you buy boxed pancake mix, right? – it’s too poufy and wussy, and your sausage will undress itself almost immediately upon hitting the hot oil.) You could make full-sized corn dogs using regular hot dogs, and this same batter would work out just fine. Upon comparing to my old corn dog recipe to this, they aren’t really that different. Turns out you can teach an old corn dog new tricks. Haw! Yes, I am my father’s daughter.

Pancake+corn+dogs+2 Pancake & Sausage Corn Dogs

Whole Wheat Cornmeal Pancakes

1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup canola oil

Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl; add buttermilk, eggs, and oil and whisk until smooth. Let stand 5 minutes (batter will thicken). If it’s too thick to pour easily, thin with more buttermilk.

Brush a griddle or skillet with oil or spray with nonstick spray and heat over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Reduce heat to medium. Working in batches of 4, spoon 2 tablespoons batter per pancake (a heaping large serving spoon works well) onto hot griddle and cook for about a minute, until bubbles appear on surface and pop around the edges, the edges are set, and undersides are golden. Flip pancakes with a thin metal spatula and cook until undersides are golden and pancakes are cooked through, 45 seconds to 1 minute more. (Lower heat if pancakes brown too much before insides are cooked through.) Transfer pancakes to plates and brush griddle with oil between batches; if you like, keep them warm in a 250F oven while you cook the rest. Serve warm. Makes about 10 pancakes.

Pancake Corn Dogs

1 1/2 – 2 dozen small maple pork breakfast sausages
wooden coffee stirrers, popsicle sticks or bamboo skewers
1 batch pancake batter above, omitting the oil and one egg
canola oil, for cooking

Cook the sausages and let them cool, then stick them on the wooden stirrers. In a wide, medium-large pot, heat a few inches of canola oil until hot but not smoking. Dip each sausage into the batter, holding it by the stick and rolling it around until well coated – dip into the oil and cook, turning as necessary, for a minute or until deep golden. Cook only two or three at a time, without crowding the pot, which could cause corn dog collisions and cause your oil to cool down.

Drain on paper towels and serve immediately, with maple syrup.

pixel Pancake & Sausage Corn Dogs
button print gry20 Pancake & Sausage Corn Dogs

July 11 2010 10:44 pm | appetizers and pork

18 Responses to “Pancake & Sausage Corn Dogs”

1. Dianne on 11 Jul 2010 at 11:20 pm #

My husband is going to think he’s died and gone to heaven. He’s not getting them till after Stampede is over though. Thanks for this Julie!

2. Cathy D (Calgary) on 12 Jul 2010 at 9:21 am #

I think B might expire with delight when I show him this recipe.

3. Lana in South Mountain (ON) on 12 Jul 2010 at 9:36 am #

Corn dog collisions! Love that.
    I love having recipes for food for camping- where there are as few dishes as possible. This going to breakfast for our first morning! Will make the dry mixture first, cook the sausages at home, and then finish assembly at our campsite.
    My kids (and quite possibly their Dad) will LOVE these.

4. Recipe for Delicious on 12 Jul 2010 at 12:51 pm #

These don’t look gross at all! Actually, there’s an odd maturity to these breakfast corn dogs. My mind is also drifting toward some sort of Italian sausage-based corn dog… hmmm… Julie, would pancake batter work for Italian sausage? Or would it be too sweet? What about adding some sort of herb to the batter? Oh the possibilities!

5. Kristin on 12 Jul 2010 at 4:23 pm #

oh my goodness…these are too cool! I don’t like corn dogs much at all, because umm…they contain hot dogs! But sausages?! My boys (including the big one) would love these!

6. PatW on 12 Jul 2010 at 4:31 pm #

Dippy Dogs!! They have them every year at the Fredericton Exhibition. I had always heard of corn dogs and assumed they were the same, until I tried one – I was so disappointed. I’m pretty sure the ones served at “The Frex” are just regular hot dogs with pancake batter. Real maple syrup is a must. Thanks for reminding me of them Julie!

7. Sharlene on 12 Jul 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Corn dogs are definitely one of my guilty pleasures. On the boardwalk I just can’t resist! I’m so excited to try this out at home but obviously when I’m all alone so that no one can eat any ;)

8. JulieVR on 12 Jul 2010 at 8:44 pm #

You can invite me over.

9. pancake recipe on 13 Jul 2010 at 5:20 am #

I love the idea of pancake corndogs! I think my kids are going to love it. Pancakes are part of our morning rituals and I have lost count of how many pancakes I have made already, lol! I just wonder if it’s going to be possible to get this pancake corndogs ready before my daughter’s school bus arrives…At least the 4-year old twin boys have all mornings to enjoy it though, lol!

10. Vivian on 13 Jul 2010 at 10:09 am #

These are going to be my contribution to the mid-summer bookclub gathering! My brain is trying to figure out how to hide some kind of cheese inside the dog (not at the stick end though, it probably wouldn’t hold through the frying). Bacon could be wrapped around the dog before batter dipping perhaps? It would be a fun recipe to play with. Thanks Julie!

11. Evelyn in Canada on 13 Jul 2010 at 11:09 pm #

There is nothing disgusting about a corn dog. I love them and rarely get a chance to eat them because of soy allergies in the house. Making them myself? I hadn’t really thought of that.

12. Steph@PlainChicken on 14 Jul 2010 at 2:35 pm #

I love a good corn dog – these pigs on a stick look great!!

13. Only Here for the Food » Blog Archive » The Cooking Chronicles: Meals for Mack on 08 Dec 2010 at 11:34 pm #

[…] I’m not the biggest fan of corndogs, mostly because I don’t enjoy the dense shell that separates me from the hot dog itself. But Mack loves them, so I was particularly excited to see Julie Van Rosendaal’s recipe for pancake & sausage corndogs. […]

14. Dee on 23 Dec 2010 at 3:08 pm #

Perfect breakfast idea!

15. Amaris on 27 Jan 2011 at 10:51 pm #

Can u use reg.pancake mix foe the pancake sausage corn dogs?

16. Jeanette on 28 Mar 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Today is national food on a stick day. My kids will have a blast with these. Thanks for the recipe!

17. » Breakfast on a Stick - Divine Party Concepts on 06 May 2011 at 9:14 am #

[…] Bread on a Stick; Breakfast on a stick Breakfast on a Stick;  Pancake & Sausage Corn Dog Bacon and Ham Breakfast […]

18. 3/28 National Something on a Stick Day - HippyMom - An Evolution of Female Community Parenting Board on 28 Mar 2012 at 8:53 am #

[…] […]