Fresh Peach Bran Muffins

Peach+bran+muffins Fresh Peach Bran Muffins
Just thought I’d pop in for a quick hello, and offer you a muffin.

And so I snooped around at a few cereal-based recipes, and looked up Sue’s not-a-crap-muffin recipe, and made these, and they turned out really well. I imagine they’d work out just fine using any grainy cereal-turned-mush. I added a peach, cut into chunks; you could add blueberries, or raspberries, or fresh apricots. They aren’t too hard-core, in comparison to others in the realm of bran muffins – not overly grainy in the sort of way that makes it seem like it might have come out of a horse.

Fresh Peach Bran Muffins

2 cups All Bran cereal
1 3/4 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt, thinned with milk
1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch salt
1 peach, chopped

In a large bowl stir together the cereal and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes, until soft. Preheat the oven to 375F.

Stir the sugar, oil and egg into the bran mixture. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir until almost combined; add the peach and stir just until blended.

Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups that have been lined with paper liners or sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 25 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch. Makes a dozen muffins.

One Year Ago: Roasted Plum Ice Cream and Mascarpone Ice Cream with Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote

pixel Fresh Peach Bran Muffins
button print gry20 Fresh Peach Bran Muffins

July 12 2010 10:10 pm | bread and breakfast

13 Responses to “Fresh Peach Bran Muffins”

1. sara on 12 Jul 2010 at 10:48 pm #

Mmm, love the look of these muffins! I adore peach muffins, and these look totally fantastic…yum!

2. the other Al on 12 Jul 2010 at 11:21 pm #

“look like they came out of a horse?” HA HA HA HA HA HA
    Having grown up with horses I easily pictured this and at this late hour found that image hilarious! I’m a muffin mavin, so a new tested recipe never goes to waste.
    Plus, I’m notorious for buying healthy cereal that I decide I don’t like after one try and then it sits in the cupboard for months(years?)

3. Sharlene on 13 Jul 2010 at 5:42 am #

Yum peach muffins! And bran muffins always have a funny look about them but the addition of peaches definitely make yours look less “gross.” Can’t wait to try these!

4. Lori on 13 Jul 2010 at 6:22 am #

I have some Red River Cereal in my pantry too. Do you have a muffin recipe for this cereal that doesn’t yield one-ton muffins?

5. JulieVR on 13 Jul 2010 at 6:26 am #

Not yet. I should get back to working on that one!

6. Aimee on 13 Jul 2010 at 7:50 am #

Was just thinking about bran muffins. Funny! Yours looks superb..and peaches? Yum!

7. Jan @ Family Bites on 13 Jul 2010 at 9:12 am #

I can’t wait for peaches to be in season here. These look so delicious.

8. Pat L on 13 Jul 2010 at 4:07 pm #

Great! I’ll serve these to my painting class this weekend. Thanks Julie!

9. Laur on 13 Jul 2010 at 5:06 pm #

Yay! another great use-up-the-dust-at-the-bottom-of-the-cereal-box recipe!

10. rea on 13 Jul 2010 at 10:51 pm #

that’s a mighty fine photo, Julie.

11. ΓΈ Fresh Peach Bran Muffins | FreshReview.net on 24 Nov 2010 at 3:52 am #

[...] I’m still determined to plow through the ridiculous excess of food stacked three layers deep on my shelves. Did I know I had Red River cereal back there? I did not. Nor did I realize I never finished that box of All Bran that I purchased in an impulsive act of grown-up health-consciousness, then ate maybe three bowls of. And if you’ve been hanging around here a lot, you may know that I hate to waste stuff. Especially food. And so I snooped around at a few cereal-based recipes, and looked up Sue’s not-a-crap-muffin recipe, and made these, and they turned out really well. source [...]

12. Lisa on 23 Aug 2011 at 7:19 pm #

How can I sign up to follow your blogs

13. Nicole Boucher on 13 Feb 2013 at 5:05 am #

Loved these muffins and made a double batch tonight! Wonderful with peaches and did them with Mango tonight. Added a bit more sugar and a little less baking powder and a little less baking soda.