Charlie’s Banana Bread

Charlie%27s+bread Charlies Banana Bread
What makes a true friend? Loyalty? Sure. An appreciation for your unique sense of humour? Definitely. A mutual desire for companionship (and deep fried Mars bars in the pouring rain)? OK.

But the real evidence of friendship is a homebaked banana bread, heavy with walnuts and a thick ripple of Nutella through its middle. Just for you.

Charlie%27s+bread+2 Charlies Banana Bread

Charlie brought this over. It’s just banana bread, only he stopped halfway through pouring the batter and slapped on a layer of Nutella, then topped it with the rest of the batter and baked it. I love this kind of experimentation. Especially when it works.

Black+eyed+pea+soup Charlies Banana Bread

Also, we had black-eyed pea soup. I put it in the slow cooker last night, having come across a chunk of leftover roast ham in the freezer. Into the CrockPot went:

a chunk of sliced roast ham the size of a small fist
about a cup of dried black-eyed peas (black beans would work just as well, or little white ones, or lentils)
a chopped orange pepper
half a chopped purple onion
a couple carrots
a few stalks of flaccid celery
a few cloves of garlic
the end of the bowl of salsa we were eating when we ran out of chips
6 cups of water

It cooked on low for 6-7 hours, and we ate it topped with grated Parmesan.

pixel Charlies Banana Bread
button print gry20 Charlies Banana Bread

July 14 2010 10:37 pm | leftovers

7 Responses to “Charlie’s Banana Bread”

1. the other Al on 14 Jul 2010 at 11:05 pm #

who’s charlie?

2. Sharlene on 15 Jul 2010 at 4:46 am #

I would like to marry Charlie. He sounds like a winner.

3. Recipe for Delicious on 15 Jul 2010 at 6:05 am #

More things should have a ripple of nuttella in the middle. Great use of leftover ham and flacid celery!

4. Mumsie on 15 Jul 2010 at 7:44 am #

Ah…now have a purpose for that flaccid celery. Too hot here for hot soup but can pop it in the freezer for later…thanks!

5. Lori on 15 Jul 2010 at 5:56 pm #

That’s pretty much how I make soup; stick my head in the fridge and everything’s fair game. I do believe we are kindred spirits.

6. Barb on 15 Jul 2010 at 7:19 pm #

I’ve been missing my soup lately. This looks good.

7. Carol SB on 18 Jul 2010 at 8:09 am #

Howdy, Miz Julie.
    I do recollect reading about a minimum cooking temperature for beans, to avoid residual presence of a naturally occurring toxin. (http://www.foodreference.com/html/artredkidneybeanpoisoning.html)
    However, apparently the toxin ain’t in black-eyed peas, so I am good to go.
    I am so with you Lori– exactly the way to make soup. And I love that Julie’s style of cooking comes through in this blog: Not a big, intimidating deal(“..ham the size of a small fist..” perfect way to communicate; that’s exactly the way you have a chunk of food in your fridge or freezer. Not by cups/ oz). Thanks for that, JVR.
    *sigh* clearly I can’t maintain that “howdy y’all” tone for a whole comment… never mind for the whole stampede!