Smoky Vegetarian Chili and Rosarella Bread

Kids+chili+cook+off Smoky Vegetarian Chili and Rosarella Bread

I learned plenty yesterday from this lot right here. These six represent the two semi-finalist teams in the kids’ chili cook-off at the Stampede – I was lucky enough to act as judge yesterday. It was a tough decision.

I missed out on taking an actual photo of the food, being in my Official judge’s role and all, but it was mighty tasty – smoky and hot and loaded with beans – it always interests me, as a carnivore, how often the vegetarian version of a chili wins at a cook-off. (This isn’t the first I’ve judged.)

Although it was very tasty, the heat kind of leapt up and smacked us right in the tongue straight off the bat, so if you’re a wuss like me, consider dialing down the chipotles by about half. And I’d personally swap the green pepper for any other colour (red, yellow, orange), but that’s just me. (I don’t understand the point of a green pepper. Is all that bitterness worth the financial savings? I think not.) And of course all chilis taste better after a day or two in the fridge (or a long simmer in the slow cooker), so it’s great to make ahead and feed a crowd.

An important note: the winning team added a secret ingredient to the following recipe – chopped green onions. Yum.

Smoky Vegetarian Chili

1 cup diced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
3 cans (19 oz/540 mL each) mixed beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In a Dutch oven, saute carrots, onion, bell peppers and garlic in oil until tender, about 7 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and chipotle peppers.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

And the bread. When I see the quantity of cheese and butter and garlic I understand why it blew me away. It’s exactly the sort of melty-cheesy, buttery, carb-heavy thing I would marry, if it were human.

Rosarella Bread

1 1/3 cups coarsely chopped bocconcini cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 loaf french bread, halved lengthwise

In a food processor, combine cheese, butter, rosemary, garlic, pepper and salt. Process until smooth. Wrap bread halves individually in heavy duty foil, leaving cut side open. Spread cheese mixture over cut side of bread halves.

Heat bread over low heat directly on grid or on warming rack on natural gas barbecue for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread is golden around edges. Slice bread and serve.

pixel Smoky Vegetarian Chili and Rosarella Bread
button print gry20 Smoky Vegetarian Chili and Rosarella Bread

July 15 2010 10:37 pm | beans and vegetarian

32 Responses to “Smoky Vegetarian Chili and Rosarella Bread”

1. Recipe for Delicious on 16 Jul 2010 at 5:38 am #

What a fun day that must have been. Cutest secret ingredient too! I confess I’ve never thought about green peppers as lesser. I might have to go home and do a taste test to see if I’ve been eating the wrong pepper!

2. Erica B. on 16 Jul 2010 at 8:23 am #

Too cute! I think vege often wins because it relies on the flavours of all the ingredients and often tastes brighter (if that’s the right word)…more flavour comes through than with the meat-centric versions.

I’m right there with you about green pepper – they often taste bitter, especially compared to the sweetness of their brighter cousins – that and my corn chowder would look rather odd with bits of green floating in it :)

3. Lana in South Mountain (ON) on 16 Jul 2010 at 9:19 am #

YUM.

4. the other Al on 16 Jul 2010 at 9:45 am #

you were at Stampede yesterday? Dang! We were there too(with 10 kids! 9-16) I would have loved to pop in and take in the judging. I never got out of the midway. Go figure. A

5. Jan @ Family Bites on 16 Jul 2010 at 9:46 am #

So cute! And that bread….I’m making it this weekend for a picnic…delish.

6. Kathy on 16 Jul 2010 at 10:18 am #

Totally with you on the green pepper..

7. Sarah Anne on 16 Jul 2010 at 10:42 am #

I COMPLETELY agree with you about green peppers! I never buy or use them!

8. Fiona on 16 Jul 2010 at 2:04 pm #

I love veggie chili, so I am definitely going to give this one a shot. Plus I have a container of chipotles in adobo sauce that I need to use somewhere, and someone in my household who thinks “burn-your-face-off hot” is how everything should taste.

I don’t mind green pepper, but I think red, orange, and yellow often look better in a dish, in addition to tasting sweeter. Green sometimes start to look kind of muddy.

9. Barb on 16 Jul 2010 at 3:04 pm #

What great summer memories to add to the 2010 list!

10. Weekly Dinner Menu: 7/19/10 | Food for My Family on 19 Jul 2010 at 6:59 am #

[…] pantry. Monday – White Bean Salad Tuesday – Apple Bourbon Smoked Pork Chops Wednesday – Smoky Vegetarian Chili Thursday – Poached Salmon, Snap Pea and Fingerling Potato Salad Friday – Pork Fried […]

11. Penny on 20 Jul 2010 at 10:31 am #

This was absolutely delicious! I made this the other day during a family bbq and it was a hit! I did add a little extra something to the chili though – lentils! I added Tasty Bite’s Madras Lentils, which have this great smokiness to them already – the textures and flavors went wonderfully with the chili, and added an extra protein boost. My kids loved it and kept asking for more, so I’ll definitely be making this again. I recommend trying this as well as checking out the rest of Tasty Bite’s line, because they only take 90 seconds to make and are so healthy for you. Thanks for the delicious recipe and bon appetit!

12. Iva Estain on 26 Jun 2011 at 6:24 am #

Really superb visual appeal on this web site , I’d value it 10 10.

13. 25 Quick and Easy Dinners (Plus 5 Delicious Desserts!) | personal fincance on 16 Nov 2011 at 7:20 am #

[…] with tons of flavor — and only a few ingredients — try this quick chickpea curry. Vegetarian chili is another great option, especially because it’s so flexible; if you don’t have what […]

14. Stick-To-Your-Ribs Dinners that are Cheap and Easy | HackCollege on 29 Nov 2011 at 8:01 am #

[…] Vegetarian Chili […]

15. IRS Lawyer on 21 May 2012 at 6:03 pm #

I would make sure you get a second opinion before making a choosing a tax attorney. I wish someone gave me that advice, end up costing me thousands in legal fees with no results.

16. auto-colorizer for google plus and facebook on 18 Aug 2014 at 10:42 pm #

I am actually thankful to the holder of this web site who has shared this enormous paragraph at at this place.

17. yahoo on 26 Aug 2014 at 6:18 pm #

Right away I am ready to do my breakfast, later than having my breakfast coming over again to read further news.

18. Scarlett on 04 Sep 2014 at 6:48 am #

My relatives all the time say that I am killing my time
    here at net, but I know I am getting experience
    daily by reading thes good posts.

Feel free to visit my weblog: distribute voucher – Scarlett -

19. black bo staff on 04 Sep 2014 at 6:23 pm #

You can visit my blogs for more effective expert relationship strategies to reconcile with your ex when you visit these links
    below (at the Authors Bio section). As our hearts and our sex soar together, we free ourselves to celebrate
    in Heavenly bliss while still in our bodies. A local martial arts school in Longwood, Florida, Hero Academy, is planning a series
    of weapon seminars that will be open to all other martial artists.

My weblog … black bo staff

20. naval blockade on 06 Sep 2014 at 10:44 pm #

But they usually beat around the bushes and expect you to do what Arnold does, a million sets and 5 hours of steady pumping iron. Doing these
    physical exercises will help reduce your cravings and the stress associated with them by refocusing your consideration on the breathing
    exercise, not your cravings. table tennis fitness components,
    table tennis fitness components.

21. wwwpinoy tambayan on 07 Sep 2014 at 1:20 pm #

The best and cheapest way to watch films at any time you want is online movies.
    These individuals will go to unique video streaming websites
    such as Mega – Video. To break free from the chain of limitations, a movie buff can opt to view movies online.

22. Marlene on 08 Sep 2014 at 6:41 pm #

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.

I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things
    or tips. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read more things about it!

23. youtube.com on 08 Sep 2014 at 9:13 pm #

Wonderful blog! Do you have any tips and hints for
    aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m
    completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions?
    Bless you!

24. Deena on 08 Sep 2014 at 11:14 pm #

Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

25. Graciela on 08 Sep 2014 at 11:15 pm #

I love what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.

26. Albertha on 08 Sep 2014 at 11:23 pm #

An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto a coworker who was conducting
    a little homework on this. And he in fact bought me dinner due
    to the fact that I stumbled upon it for him… lol.

So let me reword this…. Thanks for the meal!!
    But yeah, thanx for spending the time to discuss this matter here
    on your web page.

27. Charissa on 09 Sep 2014 at 2:13 pm #

If you are going for best contents like me, just go to see this web page every
    day since it offers quality contents, thanks

28. Andreas on 09 Sep 2014 at 5:53 pm #

Good day! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one?

Thanks a lot!

29. treadclimber on 09 Sep 2014 at 6:42 pm #

Enhance the effect of an elliptical machine as a 24hr fitness trainer, by deciding upon a machine that also
    capabilities handlebars for a incredibly effective total human body exercise.
    Doing these physical exercises will help reduce your cravings and the stress associated
    with them by refocusing your consideration on the breathing exercise, not your cravings.
    Get ready to become fit and have an amazing immune system that will make sure your visits to the doctor cue
    to illnesses are reduced significantly.

30. Shavonne on 09 Sep 2014 at 11:10 pm #

My relatives every time say that I am wasting my time here at web, except I
    know I am getting knowledge all the time by reading thes pleasant articles.

31. ?????????????? on 14 Sep 2014 at 2:54 pm #

It is not my first time to pay a quick visit this website, i
    am browsing this web page dailly and get fastidious data from here
    daily.

32. vitamin c serum on 16 Sep 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Vitamins are classified into different groups alphabetically, according
    to their chemical structures and their ingredient elements.
    Of particular importance to athletes are Vitamin D, several B vitamins, Vitamin C and Vitamin E.
    Swallowing them with a small amount of water, this will make the
    pill go down a lot faster and easier.