Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars

Blueberry+Bars Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars

It would have made sense to post this recipe on the weekend, since this is what I made approximately a dozen batches of between Friday night and Sunday. I was on the kitchen stage all weekend, and this year the canola producers asked if I’d do a demo for them. I was happy to, since I tend to extol the virtues of canola oil while up there on my soapbox anyway. It really is great stuff.

They ran a recipe contest, and wanted me to make one of the winning recipes – a recipe called Saskatoon Bars. It turned out to be one of those great versatile recipes that come in such handy in summer, when depending on the week you might have rhubarb or apricots or blueberries or blackberries to use up. This makes a big batch of cookie-like bars that with the dough patted on the bottom (sounds like it’s getting a spanking) and then dropped on top, reminded me of a cobbler. So I renamed them Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars. It’s all in the branding, don’t you think?

And because the saskatoons aren’t quite ready yet, I used blueberries. Also, the original recipe called for almond extract, but I’m not a fan. It does pair well with blueberries or saskatoons though, so feel free to add it back in.

Blueberries Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars

Blueberry+bars+1 Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars
Blueberry+bars+2 Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars

Blueberry Cobbler Bars

Adapted from the third place recipe submission (Saskatoon Bars) by Sharlene from Regina, Saskatchewan. Thanks to the folks at Canola Info for the recipe! If you like, whisk together a cup of icing sugar with a capful of vanilla or almond extract and a tablespoon or two of milk until you have a drizzling consistency, and drizzle the icing over the bars.

1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 cups blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, Saskatoon berries or sliced strawberries, fresh or frozen (don’t thaw them)

Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray large 10.5 x 15” jelly roll pan or rimmed cookie sheet (I used a half bun pan) with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl, cream together canola oil, butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Add the flours and baking soda and stir just until the batter comes together.

Spread 2/3 of the batter in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with berries or sliced fruit, then drop the remaining dough in spoonfuls over the fruit – it will spread as it bakes, and you don’t need to cover it all.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch.

pixel Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars
button print gry20 Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars

July 20 2010 12:19 pm | cookies & squares

20 Responses to “Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars”

1. Recipe for Delicious on 20 Jul 2010 at 1:03 pm #

JULIE! YES! Our Saskatoon berries are ready and I needed a recipe! YES!!!! I’m SO excited (you probably can’t tell)! Thank you!

2. Recipe for Delicious on 20 Jul 2010 at 1:08 pm #

PS-about how much almond extract?

3. Aimee on 20 Jul 2010 at 2:01 pm #

Looks like a great recipe for a crowd!

I can imagine I’ll be making desserts like these by the dozen, when my boys are teens and all their friends are hanging around.

Hopefully Noah develops a taste for berries by then.

4. Erin B on 20 Jul 2010 at 2:04 pm #

So I did make this for my dishwasher-hubby Julie. And he SWEARS that yours (which he was happy to sample at Kitchen Theatre) wasn’t as ‘brown’ as mine. And, he accused me of ‘hiding’ whole wheat flour in it. LOL. I used coconut extract (which I think smells more than it tastes) and it turned out fine. And, I used a stoneware bar pan and it was perfect. Too big for our family of 3 so I’m sending some to my parents.

Can’t wait to try with Saskatoons.

5. Erica B. on 20 Jul 2010 at 2:20 pm #

Looks good! If you wanted to use almond extract you’d add in in place of the vanilla right?

6. Erica B. on 20 Jul 2010 at 2:21 pm #

ack that should be …add IT in place of the vanilla. dang lazy fingers ;)

7. Ashley on 20 Jul 2010 at 2:35 pm #

OOo this looks like my kind of cobbler!! Lots of cookie with a little fruit.

8. Recipe for Delicious on 21 Jul 2010 at 5:49 am #

I made these last night and they turned out great. I had one for breakfast today. Thanks again for the great recipe!

9. Nest and Sparkle on 21 Jul 2010 at 4:50 pm #

Yum. I’m obsessed with blueberries right now and this looks perfect for breakfast and snacking!

10. Sharlene on 21 Jul 2010 at 9:48 pm #

I don’t think I’ve ever had a Saskatoon berry? What does it taste like? (Although I hate that question because I can never describe flavors properly.) These bars look wonderful! Think I’ll try them with raspberries.

11. Michelle on 22 Jul 2010 at 12:47 pm #

I’ve never heard of a saskatoon but blueberries are plentiful right now and this sounds delicious. So glad you shared!

12. Barb on 22 Jul 2010 at 1:47 pm #

Love the sound of these. I hope I can figure out how to print the recipe from here at the library!

13. Deirdre on 03 Aug 2010 at 11:13 am #

Julie, I made these on the weekend and everyone DEVOURED them. People went on and on about how delicious they were – and guess what?! They were so right. Yum.

Thanks for the recipe!
    Deirdre :)

14. TJ on 08 Aug 2010 at 1:10 pm #

It`s blueberry season here in BC & I whipped up a tray of these for a `meet his parents` BBQ this afternoon… I sure hope they are a hit! The recipe was easy and I think they taste FANtastic. Thanks for posting! ;)

15. Megan on 12 Aug 2010 at 2:06 pm #

Oh my gosh, these look so good! I can’t wait to try these!!! I’m putting a link to this recipe in a post on crazydomestic.com on August 19th. Feel free to grab our “I was featured” button! So YUMMY!!!!

16. lynn on 22 Aug 2010 at 5:16 pm #

These were delicious. I cut down the sugar to 1.5 cups and added some grated lemon and orange peel to the batter, and sprinkled a little cinnamon sugar on top. Addicting – yum!

17. Sarah on 12 Sep 2011 at 12:37 pm #

I made these yesterday with some blackberries from the farmers market. I used a 9 x 13 inch pan because my jelly roll pan is huge, so they turned out a little thicker than what yours looked like, but boy were they good!
    They aren’t sickeningly sweet and I think you could probably cut down on the sugar even more. To me, these make a great breakfast. I might try using more whole wheat flour next time. I can hardly wait to try them with other fruit! I’m thinking pears, plums, strawberries…

18. Blueberry Season - Somewhat Simple on 20 May 2012 at 8:44 am #

[...] Blueberry Cobbler Cookie Bars @ Dinner With Julie2. Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake @ Whimsical Creations3. Blueberry Scones with Lemony Glaze @ [...]

19. Betty Engel on 29 Jun 2013 at 6:27 pm #

I do not know whether it’s just me or if everyone else encountering issues with your website. It appears as if some of the written text within your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This may be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen before. Appreciate it|

20. discount sale Holiday shopping deals on 28 Mar 2014 at 11:55 pm #

Paragraph writing is also a fun, if you knoow after that you cann write
    if nott it is complicated to write.

my site … discount sale Holiday shopping deals