Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

Blueberry+cookies Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

It wasn’t raining when we woke up this morning, but the mist was so heavy it was like the clouds stretched all the way to the earth. W said, as we drove to the beach, that it was just sparkles falling from the sky.

W+on+beach Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

At the north end of Chesterman, when the tide is ultra low (there are two low tides per day – the first much lower than the other), caves are revealed around the point whose access is most often obstructed by water. Early in the morning though, at this time of year, the tide backs off enough to let us around the end of the rock and through the caves, even the smooth-walled one that’s just wide enough to fit us walking in single file and cuts straight through barnacle-covered rock (you’ll have to duck toward the end) to the sea anemone-filled tide pools on the other side.

Barnacles Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

Crows+on+tree Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

Later, we made cookies. There are plenty of BC blueberries around right now, and the question of whether or not blueberries would go well in cookies (why should they be limited to muffins?) arose. Only one way to find out.

mixing+bowl Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

Blueberry+cookie+bitten Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup (or so) fresh blueberries

Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl beat the butter, oil and brown sugar until creamy; beat in the egg ad vanilla.

Add the flour, oats, baking soda and salt and stir until almost combined; add the blueberries and stir just until blended. Drop large blobs on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, until set around the edges but still soft in the middle.

Makes 1 1/2-2 dozen cookies.

pixel Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
button print gry20 Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies

July 29 2010 09:27 pm | cookies & squares

38 Responses to “Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies”

1. colesangel on 29 Jul 2010 at 9:33 pm #

of course blueberries belong in cookies!! YUM
    and the caves sound cool :D
    and i have the best picture of the mist in my head now …W’s ‘sparkles’ will stay with me thank you :D :D

2. Recipe for Delicious on 30 Jul 2010 at 5:47 am #

I would never have thought to try blueberries in cookies. Crazy because now that you’ve done it, it seems like the most logical thing in the world! Great recipe!

3. Tiffany on 30 Jul 2010 at 6:37 am #

Yum, we will have to make these! Our favorite combination right now is cranberries, oatmeal and choc. chips.

Love the images of the island – makes me want to come up and visit!

4. Lana in South Mountain (ON) on 30 Jul 2010 at 7:02 am #

They look goooood!
    Chesterman Beach…sigh. Daydreaming….

5. Kate on 30 Jul 2010 at 9:13 am #

Oatmeal cookies are a favorite at our house…adding blueberries…over the top!

6. Cheryl on 30 Jul 2010 at 9:52 am #

Oh, I remember those caves! Of course, we didn’t bake after exploring them. Not cookies at least…

7. Denese on 30 Jul 2010 at 9:57 am #

When you get to SoBo, please ask if a cookbook is in the works yet ………….. or beg the recipe for the Key Lime pie.

8. Tara on 30 Jul 2010 at 11:05 am #

Oooh..blueberries in cookies!!!

9. Avery on 30 Jul 2010 at 2:11 pm #

Could you use quick oats in these? Not sure what the difference is (other than the size of the flakes)… otherwise I have all of the ingredients including blueberries I have to use up!

10. Carolyn on 30 Jul 2010 at 3:50 pm #

Would it be reasonable to think that any oatmeal cookie recipe would work with blueberries? I would love to use your recipe from OSC with less fat.

11. Sue (London, ON) on 30 Jul 2010 at 4:00 pm #

Made these today and they are amazing! Thanks Julie!

12. JulieVR on 30 Jul 2010 at 4:47 pm #

Carolyn – for sure! Just swap them for the chocolate chips, raisins or other additions.

13. Barb on 31 Jul 2010 at 1:46 pm #

The photos are great Julie! The cookies look awesome.

14. Carolyn on 31 Jul 2010 at 6:03 pm #

Oh my. I couldn’t sleep last night for wanting to make these cookies. They didn’t disappoint. Unbelievably good.

15. Stacey on 31 Jul 2010 at 6:46 pm #

Omigosh! Omigosh! Omigosh!! I made these about an hour ago, and they are to DIE for!!! I had a 10lb box that we picked today, I’m going to turn them all into cookies! Forget the pies and tarts and jam! YUMMM!!!!

16. JulieVR on 31 Jul 2010 at 6:51 pm #

Wow, I’m so glad you guys like them!!

17. Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free on 01 Aug 2010 at 8:21 pm #

I’ve never used canola oil and butter in my oatmeal cookies but I am going to try it and see how they turn out. I also love that you’ve been singing the praises of canola oil lately. Sometimes it gets a bad rap but it’s healthier, it’s so easy to find in the store, and it’s affordable.

18. Avery on 01 Aug 2010 at 11:45 pm #

Made these on Friday, and they were a big hit (although the baking time for me was more like 15-17 minutes because I made them quite large). Thanks, Julie!

19. JulieVR on 02 Aug 2010 at 12:25 am #

Avery – sorry, I never answered your quick oats question – yes! I just happened to use old-fashioned in mine. And sorry – I thought I had updated it to say 15 minutes baking time.. perhaps it was just in my head? Thanks for catching that! they did take a bit longer to bake. I’m all about big cookies too.

Amy – yes, I’m a huge canola oil fan – I’ve always used it as my all-purpose cooking oil. It’s local, inexpensive, contains omega 3s (11% – olive oil has just trace amounts) and less than half the saturated fat of olive oil. Love the stuff!

20. Sandy on 04 Aug 2010 at 7:45 pm #

Julie – thanks for this fantastic recipe! We love these cookies. I posted the link on FB and some of my friends have also tried it now too. Love hearing your hints on CBC – keep up the good work.

21. JRM on 10 Aug 2010 at 9:59 am #

I know what I’m doing in a few minutes! I’m going to try boosting the fruit content a bit by halving the canola oil and butter and replacing it with apple sauce, but if it isn’t delicious I’ll go with the original recipe, which looks awesome.

22. Amy on 12 Aug 2010 at 3:03 pm #

Just stumbled upon this recipe via Google…looks yummy! What exactly is the difference between old fashioned oats and quick oats, and does it make a difference to the recipe?

23. Amy on 12 Aug 2010 at 6:43 pm #

So I dove in and decided to bake these and I think they’re turning out okay except I’m having trouble with the consistency. (I’m a total novice baker!) If I don’t cook them enough they fall apart but if I cook them more they are a little dry. Is there a way to moisten them but still have them cook thoroughly?

24. Morgan on 13 Aug 2010 at 2:56 pm #

Great cookies, I forgot to put the cinnamon in but they still tasted incredible. I had 4 before they were even fully cooled! I also substituted the canola oil by using a 1/2 cup butter, they still came out great :)

25. JC on 29 Aug 2010 at 12:05 pm #

I just tried this recipe and it turned out fantastic! Thanks!

26. another Julie on 12 May 2011 at 10:48 am #

I stumbled onto your website and I am so glad I did! Made those incredible blueberry oatmeal cookies and everyone loved them, including my husband, who usually doesn’t like blueberries. I am making them again for my daughter and her husband tonite. I will check out your other recipes for the main course. Thanks again!

27. Angela on 04 Aug 2011 at 8:08 am #

I had some fresh blueberries from the farmers market and was looking for something beside muffins to make with the berries. I came across your recipe for Blueberry Oatmeal cookies. I added pecan pieces to the recipe. The cookies were amazing! My husband suggested they be served warm with vanilla ice cream – sounds like a plan!

28. Blueberries Are Not Just For Muffins… » 2 Market I Go on 04 Aug 2011 at 3:15 pm #

[...] Be sure to check out her recipe at http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2010/07/29/blueberry-oatmeal-cookies/. [...]

29. Megan on 21 Aug 2011 at 11:24 am #

Hi, I dont know where you live it look beautiful !!! my daughter and I made your cookies today ( it was her first time ever ! ) and they were awsome !! Thank you so much :)

30. Kathryn on 30 Aug 2011 at 11:08 am #

Hi,

I’ve made these cookies twice now and LOVE them. The problem is, I can’t find a way to store them that doesn’t make them completely soggy? I’ve ruined 2 perfectly good batches now after raving about them to my family, but by the time they get to them they’re always a soggy mess. What should I be doing?

31. Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies! « Pottstown's Blog on 09 Sep 2011 at 9:42 am #

[...] discovered at Dinner with Julie & doubled [...]

32. Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies | thegivenschronicles.com on 25 Sep 2011 at 3:34 pm #

[...] Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies Adapted from Dinner with Julie via Hostess with the [...]

33. Phil Baucom on 13 Oct 2011 at 6:21 pm #

I tried your recipe tonight, only with a little variation.

I substituted apple sauce for the butter, used a little less oil, used whole wheat flour instead of AP, and added about a tablespoon of cinnamon.

They turned out great! Thanks for the recipe and idea.

34. BLUEBERRIES BLUEBERRIES BLUEBERRIES! « My Blog on 13 Feb 2012 at 9:40 pm #

[...] blue. No matter the color, these cookies turned out moist and delicious. I got the recipe from Dinner With Julie and it’s definitely a must [...]

35. Learning to bake oatmeal raisin cookies « paulinezabek on 29 Aug 2012 at 3:03 pm #

[...] fancy oatmeal cookies, but it’s so hard to find these very fresh. This next task might be to attempt the recipes [...]

36. Paulina Rodriguez on 08 Jul 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Thank you for your recipe Julie! The cookies are delicious! I added a bit of almond for texture and flavour, turned out great. These blueberry munchkins won’t last long.

37. Chewy Blueberry-Oatmeal Cookies {Recipe} // Hostess with the Mostess® on 19 Jul 2013 at 3:20 pm #

[...] discovered at Dinner with Julie & doubled [...]

38. dolores3b on 26 Jan 2014 at 12:02 pm #

Thank you Julie for a superb recipe…I’ve just finished making my second batch; this time I doubled it. I changed things a little this time. I used a mix of 1/2cup almond flour, 1/2cup whole wheat with 1cup of white flour. They turned out great!

PS: also added some walnuts…I add nuts to everything LOL