Chard, Sausage and Feta Frittata

Sausage+chard+frittata Chard, Sausage and Feta Frittata

Have I shown off my garden yet? I’m loaded – with spinach and chard, that is – between the CSA box and the boxes in my back yard, I should have X-ray vision or some such superpower by the end of the summer. Which is coming up all too quickly.

Garden Chard, Sausage and Feta Frittata

I punched “chard” into the search box on Epicurious the other day, looking for more inspiration (but really just procrastinating), and these frittata bites jumped out – they suggest cold squares for a cocktail party. I wound up doing my own thing, but kept the sausage-chard-feta combo, and it was loved by all. (Except W, who struggled unsuccessfully to separate the green stuff from the rest.) Bonus: two huge bunches of chard went into this – it always amazes me how small it gets once it wilts. You could cook a bunch down to a spoonful and just eat it, like a real-food vitamin pill.

Chard, Sausage and Feta Frittata

canola or olive oil, for cooking
1 small onion or half a purple one
2-3 large sausages (I used Winter’s Turkeys sausages)
1-2 bunches chard, ribs removed and leaves roughly chopped or torn
8 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
salt & pepper
1 cup crumbled feta

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large ovenproof skillet (cast iron is perfect!) heat a drizzle of oil and cook the onion over medium-high heat for a few minutes, until starting to soften. Squeeze the sausage out of its casing into the skillet and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink. Transfer to a bowl and add another drizzle of oil (if you need it) then add the chard to the pan – if you’ve washed it, the moisture clinging to the leaves should provide enough moisture – and cook for a few minutes, until it wilts. Add the sausage and onion back to the pan.

Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese and pour over the meat and veg in the pan. Turn the heat to medium-low and cook for a few minutes, until it’s starting to set around the edges and on the bottom. Transfer to the oven and cook for about 10 minutes, until cooked through and golden on top. (Alternatively you could stir the lot together, pour it into a buttered baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes, until set.)

Serve warm, in wedges, or cold in squares. Leftovers make great sandwich filling. Serves 8.

One Year Ago: Browned-Butter Blueberry Muffins (made with saskatoons)

pixel Chard, Sausage and Feta Frittata
button print gry20 Chard, Sausage and Feta Frittata

August 24 2010 10:59 pm | appetizers and eggs and one dish

16 Responses to “Chard, Sausage and Feta Frittata”

1. Rambles with Reese on 25 Aug 2010 at 4:37 am #

Oh, how lucky you are to have a garden Julie! Although, you’re so busy, how do you find the time to tend to it?

I wish I could try this recipe, but I can’t eat the whites on eggs.

Have a lovely week!

2. Jennifer Jo on 25 Aug 2010 at 4:50 am #

Have you tried the sweet potato chard gratin? To DIE for. http://bit.ly/amtqZq

3. JulieVR on 25 Aug 2010 at 7:39 am #

Yes! SO to die for! Thanks for the reminder though!!

4. Aimee on 25 Aug 2010 at 11:53 am #

Julie- It’ such a cute garden!! I love it!

5. Barb on 25 Aug 2010 at 2:46 pm #

My chard and lettuce were bumper crops, too. (They like it when it’s cool out :()

6. Adrienne on 25 Aug 2010 at 3:07 pm #

I also planted a lot of chard this season and I have too much! But I figured out the only way to get my boyfriend to help me eat it all: make chard chips (instead of kale chips), with the addition of parmesan. Thank goodness for cheese!

7. Kitchen Ninja on 25 Aug 2010 at 3:49 pm #

Sausage and chard go together like PB & J, I swear. Try a pasta with the chard and maple sausage — it’s like fall in a bowl!

8. Laurie in Burnaby on 25 Aug 2010 at 6:04 pm #

Sounds delicious! I’m going shopping tomorrow, so I’ll get the bits to make it. :)

9. danzy on 25 Aug 2010 at 7:34 pm #

I’ll trade you garlic from my garden for chard &/or spinach! We pulled a bunch last weekend and it looks great! let me know if yo u’re interested!

10. Jan (Family Bites) on 25 Aug 2010 at 8:29 pm #

What a fab garden! Those boxes look great and so does the frittata.

11. Julie on 25 Aug 2010 at 10:45 pm #

That sounds like the perfect breakfast. Or lunch :)

12. Cheryl on 26 Aug 2010 at 8:50 am #

Mmm, chard. We had a ridiculous amount last year. I blanched and froze tonnes. Works great with your roasted garlic/chickpea/swiss chard dish. And it is really yummy with slow roasted tomatoes and white beans.

13. Tina on 26 Aug 2010 at 11:30 am #

Julie, I have to share a recipe that I have loved FOREVER, which I have actually managed to IMPROVE this season with your help!! I took my mom’s “summer stew” (I may have mentioned this last year – it’s a summer must for me…), which is simply a bit of every veg you happen to have at the time, cooked up in a simple white sauce. So this week, having made the garlic scape pesto, I threw a big dollop of that into the sauce and OH. MY. GOD. You guys all have to try this. I used baby potatoes, carrots, peas, beans, onion, and zucchini that time…Seriously. Make it now.

14. Evelyn in Canada on 28 Aug 2010 at 7:12 pm #

I’m still in love with your curried chickpea and chard recipe. Unfortunately, I planted chard twice this year and got a total yield of three plants. I have no idea what went wrong. I think the sparrows have finally discovered my garden. Anyway, beet greens can replace the chard in any of these recipes so I’m getting my greens that way. Still miss the chard though.

15. Farmgirl Susan on 31 Aug 2010 at 8:40 am #

Your raised beds are beautiful. Love the old gate, too. Congratulations on a bumper crop. I’m crazy about Swiss chard, and that frittata looks like a wonderful way to use it. Just don’t forget to save the stalks – they make a great substitute for celery! :)

16. olivia on 31 Aug 2010 at 12:46 pm #

Wow, that is amazing. I am so jealous of your garden.