Peach & Rhubarb Big-Crumb Crumble

Peach+%26+Rhubarb+Big Crumb+Crumble Peach & Rhubarb Big Crumb Crumble

IT CANNOT POSSIBLY BE SEPTEMBER! How did that happen?? While everyone is bracing themselves for the back-to-school time crunch, I’m hoping things will slow down just a bit as W starts kindergarten (tomorrow!) and August upends itself into September. September!!

Can I let the pictures do the talking today? Isn’t a picture worth a thousand words? Here’s two thousand for ya.

And really – what more is there to say? I’m a fan of the crumble, but am always after the big, crunchy bits on top – more so than the crumby crumbs, anyway. So I decided to come up with a big-crumb crumble – all big, sweet, crunchy rubble, and lots of it. It looks a bit like a cobbler, but doesn’t have that biscuit quality – it’s more like a crunchy oatmeal cookie baked over juicy fruit.

You could do this with any fruit in season, of course. Right now it’s peaches. I added a frozen baggie of chopped rhubarb from the freezer (I’m determined to not let it see next spring) but raspberries or blackberries would do just as well – or plums, or apricots, or nothing at all but peaches.

Peach+rhubarb+big+crumb+crisp Peach & Rhubarb Big Crumb Crumble

Peach & Rhubarb Big-Crumb Crumble

Leftovers are delicious the next morning for breakfast, served with thick plain or vanilla yogurt.

5-6 peaches, unpeeled and thickly sliced
1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, or fresh or frozen berries
1/2 cup sugar
1-2 tsp. cornstarch

Crumble topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oats (old-fashioned or quick-cooking)
1/2 cup sugar (white or brown)
1/4 cup butter
2 Tbsp. liquid honey or golden syrup

Preheat the oven to 375F. Thickly slice the peaches into a pie plate or shallow baking dish. Top with rhubarb or berries. In a small dish or measuring cup, stir the cornstarch into the sugar and sprinkle it over the fruit.

In a bowl (or the bowl of a food processor) combine the crumble ingredients and pulse or blend with a fork until well blended and sticky/crumbly. Sprinkle over the fruit, squeezing it as you go to create larger clumps. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden and the fruit is tender and bubbly around the edges. Serve warm, with ice cream or whipped cream. Serves 6.

Plum+cakes+2 Peach & Rhubarb Big Crumb Crumble

P.S. I also made Baby Vanilla Plum Cakes on the weekend. I forgot to tell you.
You can find the recipe here.

One Year Ago: Jam Without a Recipe
At the Family Kitchen: Baby Vanilla Plum Cakes

pixel Peach & Rhubarb Big Crumb Crumble
button print gry20 Peach & Rhubarb Big Crumb Crumble

September 01 2010 10:38 am | dessert

19 Responses to “Peach & Rhubarb Big-Crumb Crumble”

1. Sharon on 01 Sep 2010 at 12:57 pm #

It looks like crabapples are in season (in my fridge). So I’ll add raspberries to them, and make this up for my friend whose son is back to school tomorrow, just as they move house, start the renovations, and run the hockey camp. You young mothers!

2. Manon from Ontario on 01 Sep 2010 at 2:37 pm #

mmmmm that looks way good ;p

I just bought a stand up freezer, to replace my big chest freezer I had in our summer kitchen…well I don’t have to tell ya that even if I bought a big stand up freezer, not everything fits in it. So we are having stuff from the freezer again tonight for dinner….some kind of goulash or fricassee…whatever makes dinner happen!

Always nice to see WHAT’s in the freezer :)

3. Alison on 01 Sep 2010 at 2:38 pm #

I have some peaches on the way in my Good Food Box this afternoon, and a pint or two of cherries from my neighbour’s tree. Dessert, here we come!

4. akaJB on 01 Sep 2010 at 6:03 pm #

I just made a peach/blackberry/raspberry crisp/crumble the other day. I only had 2 peaches. But then again, I’m only one person. :P So I threw on some blackberries and raspberries from the freezer. Tastes kind of like blackberry pie if you manage to get a bite of just blackberry and topping. Yum. :)

5. angiebean on 01 Sep 2010 at 6:19 pm #

I cannot wait to try this recipe! I love to make apple crisps in the fall but always think they don’t taste so good the next day. Then I’ll make a cobbler and think the crisp tastes better. I hope this is the best of both worlds!

6. Dana on 01 Sep 2010 at 8:31 pm #

That is nice picture of the vanilla plum cakes.

Kindergarten already!! I must have been following your blog for a while now. It will be kindergarten for my son next year. I’ll probably find out all the pit falls through your blog this coming year and be well prepared!! :)

7. Theresa on 02 Sep 2010 at 8:01 am #

This is exactly what I was looking for! Crumble…… mmmmmm!!

8. Crystal on 02 Sep 2010 at 11:47 am #

Oooh this looks delish! I just used your Cobblah recipe last week, but this may call for another round!

9. Ashley on 03 Sep 2010 at 6:54 pm #

Did I do something wrong? The juice didn’t thicken at all and the peaches I used were not juicy. Is it supposed to be 1-2 TBSP of cornstarch? Otherwise, it tastes great, I just poured off all the juice so it didn’t make the crumble soggy. I did 1 1/2 times the crumble and it was perfect to me.

10. JulieVR on 03 Sep 2010 at 6:59 pm #

Ashley – hmmmm… did the juices thicken as they cooled, or did you eat it hot from the oven? Sometimes you need to let it sit a bit.. but no, I used only a teaspoon of cornstarch and it was great – juicy but not watery. Sorry you had trouble!

11. Andi on 03 Sep 2010 at 7:24 pm #

I’ve had the peach juice not thickening issue a time or two also – it seems to be a crapshoot sometimes re: the correct guess of how much cornstarch to use, But I concur that is ALWAYS best to use about twice the amount of crumble topping – any less just seems sort of stingy. And besides, then there’s lots to soak up the juices if your guess on the cornstarch was a bit off! And I’ve never had anyone complain about too much crunchy goodness.

12. Ashley on 03 Sep 2010 at 9:19 pm #

I let it sit for about an hour before I couldn’t resist. I poured off the juice and thickened it with a little more cornstarch and plan on using it on waffles.

13. Jess on 05 Sep 2010 at 5:28 am #

I have a bag of rhubarb in the freezer, too. Two, actually. I love the idea of combining it with peaches. It’s early summer and late summer fusion!

14. AnnieD on 06 Sep 2010 at 9:40 am #

I made this with peaches and raspberries – so delicious! This is my new favoritecrumb topping – I added a litle coconut as well, which is never a bad thing.

15. CatM on 07 Sep 2010 at 2:16 pm #

Alas, I had the watery juice problem myself. I also found that it was too sweet. I would cut down a little on the sugar in the fruit I think the next time. Perhaps I didn’t have enough fruit but I did use 4 peaches and 1 1/2 cups of raspberries. Hmmm… The topping was delicious though and the honey made the crisp nice and crunchy.

16. Ashley on 08 Sep 2010 at 7:19 pm #

I love the big crumbs on top! You don’t need any fruit, or maybe only a smidgen. Mmm.

17. Delishhh on 14 Sep 2010 at 11:13 am #

I love crumbles. I did one with strawberry, rhubarb and blueberries recently and love it – http://delishhh.com/?p=1991 but then i had tons of peaches and made a bunch of peach recipes but i never thought of putting rhubarb and peach together. So i will have to try this out.

18. Jackie on 14 Sep 2010 at 12:24 pm #

Amazing crumble…but I used 1 cup bluberries instead of the rhubarb, so 1/2 cup sugar seemed a little too sweet. This was devoured by my husband and 22 month old.

19. {Dining in: Caramelized Vegetable Elk Meatloaf and Autumn stone fruit crumble} « Chocolate & Ginger on 22 Sep 2010 at 10:49 pm #

[...] Next…I had to make use of a growing pile of plums on my kitchen counter..and what could be easier than a crumble..a super easy and quick recipe from Julie.. [...]