Cheesy Garlic Batter Bread

Batter+bread Cheesy Garlic Batter Bread

I may have mentioned my lifelong obsession with recipes. Even as a kid I read cookbooks (and-yes-Archie comics), tore recipes out of magazines and at times snooped through the kitchens of families I babysat for (hey, they said I could help myself to anything!) in the hopes of finding recipe boxes or those community cookbooks for me to flip through during Fantasy Island.

I still have a lot of my old hand-written recipe cards and filed-away magazine pages, some neatly cut out and pasted on paper sorted into binders. (I was a bit of a recipe nerd. I still am.) The memory of an old batter bread that came in a Fleischmann’s leaflet had been flitting in and out of my head for a year or so, since all that no-knead bread hoopla. This week I went so far as to dig them up – yep, I still have those binders – and put them in the proximity of the kitchen. And then yesterday a new recipe booklet arrived in the mail – the sort of thing I love to get – a collection for Bake for the Cure, an initiative of the Susan G. Komen Foundation. In it, the recipe for dill batter bread I had been thinking of! Could there have been a clearer sign? I recall an oatmeal version too, but this is a good start. Did I mention it’s no-knead? It’s so ahead of its time.

I’m not a fan of dill, but wasn’t as a kid, either. My foggy memory remembers leaving it out – it obviously isn’t a structurally essential element of the bread anyway. It also contains cottage cheese, which I generally don’t have on hand, but it has a way of disappearing into the loaf, and so I picked some up. I added grated Parmesan thinking a cheesy loaf would go well with the parade of soups that has kept all my largest pots in heavy rotation for the past week.

The bread itself isn’t like no-knead bread at all – you don’t leave it on the countertop overnight to come into its own, you beat it with an electric mixer and then leave the sticky lump of dough for an hour, then bake it – no punching down, no spending three hours in its service.

Batter+bread+unbaked Cheesy Garlic Batter Bread

The resulting loaf wasn’t as crusty as no-knead bread, having been baked in a casserole dish rather than a lidded pot, but has a great dense, moist texture, and for some reason I love loaves you cut into wedges to dip into soup. Tomorrow morning I’m totally trying a cinnamon-raisin version.

Batter+bread+2 Cheesy Garlic Batter Bread

Cheesy Garlic Batter Bread

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 pkg. (2 1/4 tsp.) Fleischmann’s rapid rise yeast
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 cup warm water
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 cup cottage cheese
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a medium bowl, stir together 1/4 cup flour, yeast, baking soda, sugar and garlic powder. Add the warm water and melted butter and stir on medium speed with an electric mixer (I used a stand mixer with the paddle attachment) for 2 minutes. Add the cottage cheese, egg, salt and 1/2 cup flour and beat for another 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour and the Parmesan cheese and beat until you have a stiff, sticky batter. Place in a greased 1.5 L casserole dish, cover and leave for an hour.

When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the loaf for 45 minutes, until golden and hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom. Cool slightly before cutting, if you can manage to wait. Makes 1 loaf.

pixel Cheesy Garlic Batter Bread
button print gry20 Cheesy Garlic Batter Bread

October 09 2010 11:16 pm | bread

16 Responses to “Cheesy Garlic Batter Bread”

1. Buddiegirl on 10 Oct 2010 at 2:49 am #

I too read recipe books as a child. I still have recipes that I clipped from magazines as a teenager (my favourites are from Seventeen magazine) and the first cookbook I ever bought was from the Time Life series “Foods of the World – China) when I was 16. I was also lucky enough to have inherited a number of older cookbooks from my mother-in-law. Many of the books she had were also books my mother has (and is not ready to give up). I also have some handwritten recipes passed down from my grandmother.

Bread is my favourite thing to cook and I have about a dozen books devoted to all types of bread. One of the first cooking classes I ever took was a bread course at Western Canada that Gail Norton taught. I still use a couple of those recipes as well.

2. Vivian on 10 Oct 2010 at 9:31 am #

Ah, bread, the staff of life! I like the idea of cottage cheese in the batter to keep it light and moist…and healthy. Think I’ll give the cinnamon raisin recipe a whirl. Thanks!

3. Laurie in Burnaby on 10 Oct 2010 at 11:52 am #

That’s lovely. I must try it. We’re having another Thanksgiving next week for my daughter who couldn’t fit us in this week. I’ll try it then.
    I used to collect recipes, too. I cut them out of magazines as a little child, and still have a huge, humongous, ring binder with these old recipes in it.
    I started to cook out of self defense (my mother’s cooking was appalling) and kept all of the recipes that my brothers and sister loved.

4. Terri on 10 Oct 2010 at 12:13 pm #

I think the cookbook that I am most ‘fond’ of is your (to my knowledge ) very first one that you gave out as a Christmas gift. I recall you saying that it was a way to put an end to all the questions as to how you made this that or the other!

Happy Thanksgivng to the whole clan and may there always be room for ‘more tasty smackerels’!!

Terri

5. KC on 10 Oct 2010 at 1:35 pm #

Is there a support group for those of us that hoard all the Homemaker recipe booklets and Safeway recipe handouts from the 70’s?!?!? It’s good to know I’m not alone!

@Laurie, “cook out of self defense” – hilarious!

6. Heidi M on 10 Oct 2010 at 5:22 pm #

This looks heavenly!
    I’m a bit confused though. Cover the dish for the hour the dough is resting…then uncover while it bakes?
    I need to find a lactose-free alternative. There’s probably soy-cottage cheese but I haven’t found it yet – would just tofu work the same way? Maybe soy cream-cheese or soy-yogurt?
    Happy Thanksgiving!

7. Sarah Galvin (All Our Fingers in the Pie) on 10 Oct 2010 at 11:06 pm #

This looks really great for an impromptu dinner. Will have to try it. Also great, now during harvest, to take to the fields for the men’s lunches.

8. Judith on 11 Oct 2010 at 3:53 pm #

This is excellent. Made essentially as directed but with a few ingredient changes, based on what I had on hand.

I used ricotta cheese, and also added about 1/3 cup chopped jalapeno peppers for a bit of a bite, which actually resulted in a very mild pepper flavour. Although I used Parmesan as called for, I also grated some strong cheddar over the loaf after baking.

The loaf was ready at about the 35 minute mark, and was baked uncovered (I notice one of the previous poster wondered about covered vs uncovered). My oven does bake a bit hotter than some.

Thank you Julie for this recipe.

9. Barb on 11 Oct 2010 at 4:31 pm #

Hmmm This sounds good. I, too, love recipes. Sometimes my creaivngs are satisfies just by looking through books. My first cookebook purchase was at about 15 and it was Edith Bunker’s recipe book. I still use recipes from it. I would love to find some really old cookbooks. You know, the ones that even tell you first aid treatments and the like?

10. JulieVR on 11 Oct 2010 at 7:16 pm #

Barb – love those books! I have one with illustrated instructions on how to skin a squirrel!

11. Ann on 12 Oct 2010 at 6:21 am #

ok, it will all become clear when i actually make it i’m sure… but…. how do you tap the bottom of it?
    ab

12. JulieVR on 12 Oct 2010 at 6:51 am #

Yes – let it rise covered and then bake uncovered. Ann – just lift up the loaf and tap on the bottom. Or make sure it’s golden. It should be done if the top is!

13. Farmgirl Susan on 16 Oct 2010 at 2:37 pm #

I’ve seen this recipe around for years and have always been meaning to try it. Your version is beautiful! I love the idea of putting the parmesan in it. Of course I’d love to see a photo of the crumb. (This coming from the girl who has put off photographing a pile of giant and delicious – but boring and dark looking – molasses spice raisin cookies for five days and counting, LOL.)

14. Aggie on 17 Oct 2010 at 9:07 am #

Am making a version of this today! Thanks for posting the recipe…can’t wait to try it! I”m not much of a baker so this was easy enough for me! :)

15. Carolyn on 23 Oct 2010 at 4:39 pm #

Thanks for an awesome recipe – I was able to mix it up and then leave it for my totally helpless hubby to bake. The kitchen smells wonderful – can’t wait for company to get here!

16. how does green coffee bean extract workwhat is adiponectin on 25 Nov 2013 at 8:19 am #

Whats up are using WordPress for your blog platform?

I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and set up
    my own. Do you require any coding knowledge to make your
    own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!