Deep Fried (Mini) Mars Bars

Deep+fried+mini+mars+bars Deep Fried (Mini) Mars Bars

Deep fried mini Mars bars.

I know! I’m a terrible influence. It sounds so hideous, but wow – these babies are tasty. You wouldn’t balk at an apple fritter, right? And I bet you’ve snuck a chocolate bar or two from the kids’ bag, hidden in the closet, after they fall asleep? Combine the two (plus, yes, an apple) and you have yourself a deep-fried Mars bar. (I can justify any expense, monetary or caloric.)

Deep+fried+mini+mars+bars+2 Deep Fried (Mini) Mars Bars

If you’re going to make a deep fried Mars bar (you’ll be amazed how easy it is) it really is best to use the little two-bite ones, rather than a whole ginormous full-sized bar. You wind up with something the size of a beignet, with a gooey chocolate-caramel interior. If you’re looking for something fun and sweet for a party, this here is classic once-a-year food.

Deep Fried Mini Mars Bars

mini chocolate bars – any kind (Mars works well, as do Snickers and Oh Henry)

Batter:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp. baking soda
enough milk or water to make a thin batter

canola oil, for frying
powdered sugar, for sprinkling

Unwrap your chocolate bars and if they’re big, cut them into pieces (aim for an inch or so). In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and enough milk or water to make a thin batter – it should have the consistency of thin cream.

In a wide pot, heat an inch or two of canola oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. (You’ll know it’s ready when a scrap of bread held into the oil bubbles around it.) Dip a few chocolate bars at a time into the batter, coating them completely, then gently slip into the oil. Cook a couple at a time for a minute or two, flipping with tongs as necessary, until golden. (If they are cooking too quickly, turn the heat down – if it’s taking too long, the oil may need to be hotter. Don’t crowd the pot, or it will bring the temperature of the oil down.)

Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels to drain. Once cool enough to handle and eat, sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar.

pixel Deep Fried (Mini) Mars Bars
button print gry20 Deep Fried (Mini) Mars Bars

November 05 2010 10:00 am | dessert

9 Responses to “Deep Fried (Mini) Mars Bars”

1. Cathy N in Inglewood Calgary on 05 Nov 2010 at 3:26 pm #

What can I say?… But break out the deep fryer! I was pleasantly surprised to see your new posting as I thought you’d be flying across the country right now… When do you leave for NYC, Julie?

2. Sharon on 05 Nov 2010 at 6:42 pm #

In response to your Tweet: “American Museum of Natural History, Macy’s Wowohwowohwow.”

The Dinner Party
    Brooklyn Museum

3. JulieVR on 05 Nov 2010 at 10:19 pm #

Sharon – no way! I saw this! back in the 70s, I think! when I was little it was in Calgary!

4. Sharon on 06 Nov 2010 at 11:24 am #

Right. I was then little too. Is that your Mike in the other post picture? How does he stay so hot on a diet of deep-fried Mars bars???
    ;/

5. Barb on 06 Nov 2010 at 11:54 am #

These are kinda making my teeth ache just looking at them. Should I worry?

6. Jade @ No Longer 25 on 08 Nov 2010 at 5:23 am #

I didn’t know you had Scottish roots – lol! Although I am Scottish I’ve never tried the infamous deep fried Mars bar, I’m sure one which is homemade is not as bad as the chip shop variety you get here. Perhaps I will have to try one now you have given it’s blessing!

7. Walker on 01 Jun 2014 at 4:50 am #

The fact is that each and everything must be black and bright white as that the notion of
    the creation must be legibly drawn on a piece of paper.
    There are some good rules of thumb for how to wear clothes according to your body type.
    You are sitting on a guilt chair in the grand salon of a pallazzo in Rome and watching Valentino
    present his alta moda collection.

Feel free to visit my blog: clothing websites, Walker,

8. Krystyna on 19 Jun 2014 at 9:26 am #

If you didn’t know these stylish souls prior to,
    then now may be the time to check them out. Besides, you
    can also avoid the rush of people in choosing the best of
    trinkets at local shops and unusual price bargains- one can easily get
    the attractively unique fashion jewels at home at amazingly reasonable prices compared to the conventional shops.
    present his alta moda collection.

Here is my webpage summer wedding dresses (Krystyna)

9. ??????????????????????? on 24 Sep 2014 at 9:36 pm #

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though
    you relied on the video to make your point.
    You definitely know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just
    posting videos to your weblog when you could be
    giving us something enlightening to read?